• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Most Expensive Free Trip Ever - TR Link is Up! Pg. 164

Okay, now that I have your attention.

Come with me, if you will, back about twenty years. I got the incredible opportunity to travel to Sydney, Australia for work for 3 weeks. My traveling companions and I stayed at a hotel in Sydney and went to work each day in North Sydney, commuting by train over "the coathanger" bridge that you see in all of the pictures with the Sydney Opera House. It was a wonderful, wonderful experience.

On our first day at the offices in North Sydney, our Australian host, the office manager, took us to lunch at a sandwich shop a few blocks from the office. After we got our food, he brought some paper napkins over to our table and mentioned that they were "serviettes". "How interesting" I thought. I'll have to remember that. (If only I had!)

The next day he was unable to go to lunch, but me, being resourceful and blessed with a great sense of direction, set out to return to the sandwich shop of the day before. I found it without difficulty, ordered a gyro at the counter and once I had my food I found a table. I realized that my gyro was going to be messy, so I returned to the counter, got the attention of one of the all-female-staff and asked, "may I have a napkin please?"

She said, "what?"

So I repeated my request.

She then announced to the rest of the all-female-staff what I had asked for. After I saw how amusing that request was for all of the ladies, I realized what the word "napkin" must mean in Australia.

Then she handed me what I was after and said, "you mean a serviette."

:blush:

The next day he was unable to go to lunch, but me, being resourceful and She then announced to the rest of the all-female-staff what I had asked for. After I saw how amusing that request was for all of the ladies, I realized what the word "napkin" must mean in Australia.

:rotfl: Funny how two people speaking the same language can have a problem .:rotfl:

Gorgeous update!

I'm looking at all your pics and having wierd deja vu flashbacks. Was I there? Was I not? Ah the blessing and curse of a college backpacking trip. Fuzzy memories at best.

Racking my brain to try and figure out where in Vienna (I think it was in Vienna) that we went, some composer birth place/ house they died in or some other reason it was notable (yeah, just a few to choose from in Vienna!) and I swear there was an outdoor wine garden and vividly recall drinking wine out of what were jelly jar mugs. Your pics completely jogged the memory but google did not come through for me.

Not unlike the drinking glasses provided in the FW cabins mind you. Except these were a smidge larger.

Serviette

:rotfl::rotfl:

I forgot about that!

You've been to Australia My goodness! Where haven't you been?!

:lmao: Napkin. :lmao:

Seems like Glenn is quite the man of the world! By the way, did I miss something?? You still have a lot of family in Europe? Were your parents born there??

what an experience to see so much great history--like OLD stuff.

your visits to art museums reminds me of my love for art museums. I don't think I've been to one since I was in high school.......I need to go to the Getty Museum or the Huntington Library.

Wow, how fascinating that you have been to so many places. Enjoying your flashbacks.

:rotfl: Funny how two people speaking the same language can have a problem .:rotfl:

Australia was really interesting because we used the same language, but not always the same expressions.

Gorgeous update!

I'm looking at all your pics and having wierd deja vu flashbacks. Was I there? Was I not? Ah the blessing and curse of a college backpacking trip. Fuzzy memories at best.

Racking my brain to try and figure out where in Vienna (I think it was in Vienna) that we went, some composer birth place/ house they died in or some other reason it was notable (yeah, just a few to choose from in Vienna!) and I swear there was an outdoor wine garden and vividly recall drinking wine out of what were jelly jar mugs. Your pics completely jogged the memory but google did not come through for me.

Not unlike the drinking glasses provided in the FW cabins mind you. Except these were a smidge larger.

Serviette

:rotfl::rotfl:

I forgot about that!

Isn't it cool when something can trigger a memory (hopefully a good one) that had been filed away for decades?

You've been to Australia My goodness! Where haven't you been?!

:lmao: Napkin. :lmao:

Well, you've pretty much heard about the major ones. Oh, I've been to Toronto too. :laughing: I like the section of glass floor that they have in the CN Tower. Pretty freaky to walk across that.

Seems like Glenn is quite the man of the world! By the way, did I miss something?? You still have a lot of family in Europe? Were your parents born there??

Not compared to you! Were you asking me about family in Europe? No, I don't. Just my "Belgian brother".

what an experience to see so much great history--like OLD stuff.

your visits to art museums reminds me of my love for art museums. I don't think I've been to one since I was in high school.......I need to go to the Getty Museum or the Huntington Library.

We went to 3 different museums this past Saturday -- it was free admission day! They were crowded though. James didn't want to go (too boring!) and I almost had to drag him out the door. On the way he asked what we'd see and I told him some Wyeth paintings (we don't live too far from the Brandywine River Museum) and he said, "you mean N.C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, and Jamie Wyeth"? Apparently he'd heard about them in school. So he enjoyed it. Here's our favorite painting that we saw, although this little picture from the web doesn't do it justice. The painting is actually about 7 feet wide and the detail of the hairs and the blades of straw are really cool.

Jamie Wyeth's pig

Wow, how fascinating that you have been to so many places. Enjoying your flashbacks.

Thanks, I'm enjoying sharing them.

Isn't it cool when something can trigger a memory (hopefully a good one) that had been filed away for decades?

Very good memory but oh it's going to drive me nuts! It's so wierd as I had buckets (boxes?) of pics from that trip and for the life of me can't find them. 2 months in Europe (and my memory) lost!

Most were pretty bad pics but there are a few I would really really like to have, one I should have framed and could kick myself.

Ah youth. You assume you will be back soon.

Made it through 3 more chapters today, and am still cracking up over the zero gravity pool! Was she not thinking? Shootin' from the hip? And to mention not seeing it here on the DISBoards!! :lmao: If that's not a challenge, I don't know what could ever be!

FiP Tip of the Day. If your tickets weren't used to procure FiPs, then you've scored a set of freebies. :woohoo: Know the game!

Of all the Tree of Life pix, I like the last one best. That's the one you all look most "genuinely" surprised to see Simba.

I love the way James is hanging onto Judy for dear life on EE. But, he still gives it a thumbs up!! He conquered his fear, and grew up a little that day! :thumbsup2 And now he's a proud owner of a nifty little Yeti. That shows that he didn't grow up all the way, Papa. You still have some time. :hug:

I can see where the headrests are quite narrow. I'll try to watch out for this given I have a bulging disc in my neck that sometimes gives me grief. :headache:

Very good memory but oh it's going to drive me nuts! It's so wierd as I had buckets (boxes?) of pics from that trip and for the life of me can't find them. 2 months in Europe (and my memory) lost!

Most were pretty bad pics but there are a few I would really really like to have, one I should have framed and could kick myself.

Ah youth. You assume you will be back soon.

I see on Jordan's thread that you are indeed looking through some old pics. Good luck finding the Europe ones.

You do think that don't you....that you'll be back soon.

Made it through 3 more chapters today, and am still cracking up over the zero gravity pool! Was she not thinking? Shootin' from the hip? And to mention not seeing it here on the DISBoards!! :lmao: If that's not a challenge, I don't know what could ever be!

Her challenge sealed the deal for me.

FiP Tip of the Day. If your tickets weren't used to procure FiPs, then you've scored a set of freebies. :woohoo: Know the game!

Know the game; work the system. How many times have I said that?

Of all the Tree of Life pix, I like the last one best. That's the one you all look most "genuinely" surprised to see Simba.

Thanks....I'll have to go see which one that is.

I love the way James is hanging onto Judy for dear life on EE. But, he still gives it a thumbs up!! He conquered his fear, and grew up a little that day! :thumbsup2 And now he's a proud owner of a nifty little Yeti. That shows that he didn't grow up all the way, Papa. You still have some time. :hug:

I can see where the headrests are quite narrow. I'll try to watch out for this given I have a bulging disc in my neck that sometimes gives me grief. :headache:

That was good moment. Yes, be careful on that one.

(Props to anyone who "gets" my title for this post.)

I had done a lot of research online to find a restaurant where we could get good Viennese cuisine. And, I had tickets to a concert for L, B2, Judy, and I. So, we took the U-bahn to our restaurant, Die Fromme Helene, a nice quaint, local, restaurant.

100_0974.jpg

Both of us couples ordered the same appetizer – baked brie with roasted garlic and cranberry sauce. The ladies absolutely loved it. For our entrees, both of us guys ordered Weiner Schnitzel, the most famous local dish. Judy had knockerl, a kind of little dumpling, oval in shape, made of flour, in a white sauce with zucchini and mushrooms. L had rigatoni with eggplant.

100_0976.jpg

100_0978.jpg

Then we went to the concert at Palais Auersperg, put on by the Vienna Residence Orchestra.

100_0980.jpg

The chairs were really placed closely together and we were really packed in. The concert hadn’t even begun yet and the lady in front of Judy kept shifting her chair back every so often until it was almost to Judy’s knees. Then she got up to go to the restroom, so we moved her chair forward and put our feet on the floor directly behind the legs of her chair so that it wouldn’t slide back anymore. The lady beside Judy had to complain to an usher about the lady in front of her moving her chair back.

100_0983.jpg

The concert was great. I’m sure it’s really for the tourists, since it’s a sampling of Mozart and Strauss, but it was still tastefully done and the musicians were very good. There were only 7 instrumentalists: a lead violinist, a second violin, viola, flute, cello, bass, and piano. They also had a soprano and baritone on some arias, and a pair of ballet dancers for some other pieces. Everyone loved it.

100_0984.jpg

They pulled this guy out of the audience to play the triangle for Tick Tack Polka (I think, does that make sense). Good thing it wasn’t me, because I had no idea how it went.
100_0995.jpg

100_0997.jpg

Judy worried the whole time that this ballerina would have a “wardrobe malfunction”. All I know is that it was the best ballet I’d ever seen, and I don’t even like ballet.
100_1000.jpg

The concert was the perfect end to a perfect day. When we got back to our hotel room we had another gift from PChef, a bag/backpack thing. It was intended for Senior Directors, but they mistakenly had Judy down as a Senior Director for this trip. Oh well, she deserves it!

Link to next chapter

Come with me, if you will, back about twenty years. I got the incredible opportunity to travel to Sydney, Australia for work for 3 weeks. My traveling companions and I stayed at a hotel in Sydney and went to work each day in North Sydney, commuting by train over "the coathanger" bridge that you see in all of the pictures with the Sydney Opera House. It was a wonderful, wonderful experience.

On our first day at the offices in North Sydney, our Australian host, the office manager, took us to lunch at a sandwich shop a few blocks from the office. After we got our food, he brought some paper napkins over to our table and mentioned that they were "serviettes". "How interesting" I thought. I'll have to remember that. (If only I had!)

The next day he was unable to go to lunch, but me, being resourceful and blessed with a great sense of direction, set out to return to the sandwich shop of the day before. I found it without difficulty, ordered a gyro at the counter and once I had my food I found a table. I realized that my gyro was going to be messy, so I returned to the counter, got the attention of one of the all-female-staff and asked, "may I have a napkin please?"

She said, "what?"

She then announced to the rest of the all-female-staff what I had asked for. After I saw how amusing that request was for all of the ladies, I realized what the word "napkin" must mean in Australia.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl:

I had a comment, but.............

Hi Glenn! I've been running into you on the boards and thought I'd check out your PTR. :thumbsup2 Very excited to see that you'll be staying at CSR! My husband and I are thinking about staying there during our couple's only trip next January.

I'm off to get caught up on your plans and past trips. :goodvibes

I'm sorry the title is lost on me, other than this guess:

Was there another reason the lady in front of you kept pushing her chair back besides horking in on Judy's space?? Was it some sort of jet propulsion thing going on??

I'd say that ballerina needs to pack her goods a little better or there'd certainly be some other kind of dance all together going on!

She said, "what?"

:lmao: I feel your pain. We lived in Australia for three years and I'm not sure I ever once remembered to ask for a serviette. Thankfully, we lived in a town that was full of us Yanks and the Australians got asked for napkins often.

Awesome update glennbo123.

I'm surprised of the level of detail. I can't believe you took pictures of the food before knowing the DIS :laughing:

She said, "what?"

That was absolutely priceless!!! :lmao:

Hey Glenn!! Finally all caught up...I really took my time looking through all of your pictures (I had to take notes to remember everything! :rotfl2:)
What a fun visit to Belgium and to visit with your host family and that you have all continued to keep in touch. :goodvibes
I would love to try some of the frittes with mayo. I don't like ketchup :eek: and have often used mayo (or malt vinegar is yummy too ;)) for fries.
I love Stella :goodvibes
You may notice that my dog Ziggy in my avatar is wearing a Burberry harness :rotfl2: It is not real of course, although I may have a wallet and backpack that are :sad2:
There was a mention of OBX somewhere....love it there and haven't been in a few years
On to Vienna....the cathedrals and architecture are just stunning....you almost need a panoramic or wide angle lens to get everything in....I kept looking at one of the cathedrals and kept noticing different statues and such! Just beautiful!
The Johann Strauss statue is beautiful too....with the gold and marble..wow!!
I have an Andrew Wyeth print in my living room.....the one with the dog on the bed :goodvibes
Thanks for sharing!!

Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter