• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The most awful "next gen" concept I've seen yet

I don't mind the idea of being able to send an e-card from the ride (I actually think it's kind of cool), but if they install monitors so your personalized crappily-animated (if Spaceship Earth is any indication) small world doll can appear alongside the physical dolls in the attraction itself I'm never going to ride it again.

NEVER.

NEVER!

I don't mind the idea of being able to send an e-card from the ride (I actually think it's kind of cool), but if they install monitors so your personalized crappily-animated (if Spaceship Earth is any indication) small world doll can appear alongside the physical dolls in the attraction itself I'm never going to ride it again.

NEVER.

NEVER!

Send an ecard before the ride or after it... I don't want to see TV screens in the boat or on the ride itself.

The idea that screens need to be inserted everywhere is just nuts. Not to mention the fact that screens are more "past gen" than "next gen" in my book...

not a fan. Why change classics like Small World if there's nothing wrong with them to begin with...? seems like change for the sake of change to me

Send an ecard before the ride or after it... I don't want to see TV screens in the boat or on the ride itself.

The idea that screens need to be inserted everywhere is just nuts. Not to mention the fact that screens are more "past gen" than "next gen" in my book...

not a fan. Why change classics like Small World if there's nothing wrong with them to begin with...? seems like change for the sake of change to me

I agree. You want to make a fancy, hi-tech queue...that's fine. Leave the ride(s) itself alone. You want hi-tech attractions? Build a few new ones.

I agree. You want to make a fancy, hi-tech queue...that's fine. Leave the ride(s) itself alone. You want hi-tech attractions? Build a few new ones.

If this goes too far I see it being dangerously close to the Journey Into Imagination debacle

Some of these "leaks" are "blue sky" ideas - concepts of the things they could potentially do. If it was from Jim Hill, I'd almost certainly say that's what it was and it has a very low probability of becoming reality.

Some of these "leaks" are "blue sky" ideas - concepts of the things they could potentially do. If it was from Jim Hill, I'd almost certainly say that's what it was and it has a very low probability of becoming reality.

Of course.

Still... if this is what's coming out of blue sky, I think it's time to seek cover.

Of course.

Still... if this is what's coming out of blue sky, I think it's time to seek cover.

I should have mentioned - some of the stuff in a "blue sky" stage isn't necessarily meant to actually be implemented. It's just ideas. This one they apparently took to some level of graphic design, which does scare me a bit...

I wish I had not even looked at that article. I am trying my best to get the image of screens or monitors out of my mind, whether they are on the boats or in the attraction itself. I do not want to see other people's designs at all. You are correct nytimez. That is one of the worst ideas I have heard of.

Not surprised they already ruined an iconic attraction leaving it without and ending and by dumbing down the script with Judy Dench!

That is just horrifying.

I agree with nytimez--not everything needs a screen in front of it. Don't we all spend enough time in our normal lives staring at cell phones, computers, tvs, etc.? Having screens in the ride vehicle, to me, takes away from the experience of enjoying the ride TOGETHER with your party. It forces everyone into that text-message mode of ignoring each other in favor of a screen. Plus, I'd rather see the three-dimensional mechanical IASW dolls than a bunch of screens. I'm picturing the Mexico boat ride at Epcot now that they've added Donald and co. *shudder* (Even though that one was dated, it was so much better before!)

And, really, e-cards? That was a big deal in, what, 1997?

Why can't we just make sure attractions are working in their original state before adding other crap? And why must we change the classics? There's only one conclusion to these insane acts, its a simple three step plan that will raise income tenfold:

Step 1. Implement monitors into all attractions via queue or ride itself (preferably both).
Step 2. Display popup advertisements on all monitors for other various attractions, dining locations, merchandise, etc.
Step 3. Profit while twirling your handlebar mustache.

Step 1. Implement monitors into all attractions via queue or ride itself (preferably both).
Step 2. Display popup advertisements on all monitors for other various attractions, dining locations, merchandise, etc.
Step 3. Profit while twirling your handlebar mustache.

Wasn't this basically the plot from Wall-E??? :eek:

I really hope that does not happen!
I want something new and exciting and completely different, this is old in my book.
I miss how Disney was the best at all they do!
Dont get me wrong I still love Disney and probably always will because of the memories it creates from my family with all our togetherness while there, but they need to up their game!

It would be great if their put the money for this NextGEN thing in a brand-new attraction instead of pumping dollars in some video screens.

With apologies to Stitch Kingdom, I don't think they have any specific information about how this proposed addition would be implemented. Aside from presenting the concept artwork, the story is extremely ambiguous / speculative as to how it would be used.

One of Jim Hill's stories on "xPass" brought up the idea of custom characters waving at their creator toward the end of the attraction. This would be a great fit (IMO) at the very end where the static board of international goodbyes currently sits. That's where boats typically stack up as guests are waiting to exit. Providing something a bit more entertaining would be an improvement.

I wholeheartedly agree that video screens being added to either boats or within the attraction displays themselves would be a terrible idea. Would be expensive too. I really cannot envision that happening.

Adding screens to the boats would be really expensive. you'd have to add a water-proof power/data bus system to power the boats, which aren't currently powered at all, or provide a battery-based system that can last out a park day, recharge within the limited time available on some days, have the infrastructure to do the recharging on the boats or swap-outs, and a wireless system to provide the data to be displayed. It would add considerable weight to the boats, which have limited draft clearance already.

So now we're talking boat redesign, possibly needing to completely rework the boat channel to be deeper, which might require changing out the pumps that create the current, etc.

All to add what, exactly?

But I can see the idea of adding screens in the "Goodbye" room with the custom characters...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter