• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Monorail, a Double Stroller and a New Little Brother

The tink costume is precious! I can imagine your daughter is running around in it all day at home!

Again, such a cute Tinkerbell costume! You're very talented :)

Ah, I'm going with my bestfriend too, and it was also an add-on decision, so I understand how nice it feels. You're going to have a great time. Have you got ADR for Be Our Guest? I'm trying to get one, no luck yet!

Thank you! That is so great that your best friend is able to go with you too!

We did score an ADR for Be Out Guest, but it is only for 5. So, I need to see if we can get one more added. The fifth person is actually DS who will be in highchair, but I'm hoping that if I keep calling I can get one more added. No luck yet, but crossing my fingers!

I LOVE the Tinker Bell costume!!! :love::love::love:

The tink costume is precious! I can imagine your daughter is running around in it all day at home!

Thank you! My goal for today is to get the dress hemmed, final pressing and find some buttons for the back.

I love the little things that toddlers say. I need to write them all down in a journal or something to keep the memories forever. Before we started the costume, she came up to me one morning with her hands behind her back and her head down. She was very sad. :(

I asked her, "What is wrong sweetie?" And she replied, "I never can fly. I never have wings." It was so hard not to laugh. She was so serious and so concerned.

So, during her nap I went to the store and found that cheap pair of wings and brought them home. She was so excited and has been flying ever since. :)

Now the challenge will be to keep the costume in good shape until January. All that flying can do a number on your clothing! ;)

I can't wait to ride Big Thunder Mtn!!! It's my favorite from growing up and I haven't ridden it in about 15 years! CRAZY! I'm not sure if my DS will be up for the thrill rides...he's turning 5 and will be tall enough, but may be a little leary of the big thrills! Either way, at least we'll be in DISNEY!

How old will your kiddos be on the trip?

Big Thunder Mtn is a great choice! I don't think I even rode it on my very first visit back in the day. I'm sure DS will love the rides! It will be so much fun to experience it together. 5 is such an awesome age. They are so much fun then.

*Forgot to mention my kiddos ages for the trip! DD will have just turned 3 and DS will be 9 months. DD is already 36 inches now, so I'm eager to see how tall she gets by January. We might be able to squeeze in a few of the bigger rides with her while Mimi hangs out with DS (Mimi isn't a big fan of thrill rides.)

Subbed! I'm relatively new to the dis, but have a big trip planned for April. My dd will be almost 3 on the trip and its her first time, and my niece is tagging along now too. She'll be 13 and is awesome. It's her 2nd trip, and I think my mom's coming too! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Flights and Schedule Updates

We have had one very important piece of our trip that I had not booked. Our flights. Being the family trip planner, flights are something I often book first, but this time I tried to be very patient and wait for good prices and enough points to fly the family for “almost” free.

We’ve always been a one credit card family and always pay it off in full each month, but we recently decided to switch to a Chase Southwest card so that we could earn points for flights or even gift cards. We like to fly Southwest with the kids because we usually have good luck getting seats together, the staff is usually great and they have great times for direct flights from our home airport. Because we switched over the summer we were able to earn enough promotional points for three round trip flights and Mimi’s flight to Orlando. But because Southwest will actually discount the “points” to fly when they discount the “dollars” to fly, I’ve been waiting for better prices. And FINALLY this week they came down! Our flights were going to cost us about $900 for DH, DD and myself with DS on my lap and now they cost us only $15!! :cool1:

We did have to make one adjustment to our schedule though. The direct flight to Orlando from home will now leave about 2 hours later than we had originally hoped. So, on Saturday we will now visit Epcot and just take it easy all evening. Eat around the world at QS or snack stands, try to track down some Character Meet and Greets and enjoy Illuminations. Then on Monday we will visit DHS and have our Fantasmic Dinner Package at the Hollywood Brown Derby.
Last step I need to do is call Disney to let them know our flight numbers and such!

A special appointment for DD…

DD will be three on this trip, and we have never cut her hair. Currently it almost reaches her little hips. It’s just so pretty and just a little curly, so we’ve let it just grow. After a few conversations, DH and I decided that Disney would be such a perfect place for her first haircut, so we are going to take advantage of the Harmony Barbour Shop’s first haircut package (and for less than $20!!) I’ve been reading lots of reviews on the Disboards about this package, and I am so excited. I think that it will be the perfect fit for little DD. I was able to make a reservation for 9 AM on Sunday (Day 2). I’m hoping that means there won’t be much of a wait, that DD will be in a really good mood and that we might get to look around Main Street a little before the big crowds come in.

My Sewing To Do List

I’m happy to report that Tinkerbell is officially done! Just need to find some shoes, but it is finished and been given the DD stamp of approval.

Also, DS will now officially be a little Simba or Lost Boy (depending on your favorite movie). It’s a lion costume with a great mane of ribbons. No picture yet, because I need to finish attaching the yards and yards of ribbon to the hat.

I’ve squeezed in a couple of other projects as well. One that I finished was a Tinkerbell nap mat for DD at school. I ended up making it twice, because I didn’t like my first method. I’m pleased with the final product though. I’m also making another one for a local Big Give and Wish Kid. Must finish this one TONIGHT! I’m also making a quilt for a very, very dear friend of mine who is expecting her first baby. I’ve got everything pieced and now just need to pull a few late nights to get it quilted. I’ve never quilted by machine though (always by hand), so this will be a new challenge. But I’m excited to try.

After I finish those impromptu projects I will start work on DD’s Belle costume. I’ve got the fabric and am excited to work on it. I’m combining several tutorials that I’ve seen online to give it something extra special for DD.

And finally… almost to the 100 day mark! Woot! :cheer2:

Tink and a Lion… or Jake?

Since finishing Tinkerbell, DD has worn it all around the house (at least three times.) She would wear it to school, to bed and to the store every day if she could. This has to be the BEST thank you a little toddler can give you when it comes to making gear for them. :cheer2:

Last night I decided that I HAD to work on DS’s costume. Our little man will be 6 months on Halloween, and when I had made this lion costume a couple of years back it was for a slightly fatter DD (she was a big girl). Step one was to see if it would fit and what might need altered. Well, step one did not go well. He didn’t like it at all! I’m not really sure why he hated it, but he HATED it. Maybe it was too hot, too heavy, or too big? :confused3

As I started to take the costume off DS, DD began eyeing the hat and asked if she could put it on. I said sure, thinking it wouldn't fit (she was almost a year old when she wore it before), and oddly it sort of fit. Then she asked if she could try on the rest. I seriously thought there is no way it will fit. Two minutes later and… she made it fit. She must know some secret that Cinderella’s step-sisters would die to know!

IMG_0233%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0240%255B1%255D.JPG

She absolutely loved it! She ran around the house for hours acting out The Lion King with DH. Then she had an evening snack, slept and ate breakfast in it. Now, it seems that last night’s costume fitting wasn’t for DS but DD instead. I think I will let out the elastic in the sleeves some, and then change the ankle up a little. She is so excited about this costume. I might have to add a tiara to it. princess:

As for Halloween, I’ll let her pick either costume and we will still take Tink to WDW. Would it be crazy if we took the lion too?

Now for DS we are back to the drawing board. I think I am going to go back to the Jake plan. pirate: I’ll probably just semi-home make it. I’m thinking use a white bodysuit, some blue pants and make a vest with some fabric from my stash. Hopefully that will be more comfortable for him (and we can take it to WDW.)

On a slightly unrelated note, one of my side projects is finished! :cool1: This is the nap mat for a Make-A-Wish gift. Still don't have a picture of DD's Tinkerbell version. But I promise to get one updated soon!

image.jpg

Happy Planning Everyone!

Subbed! I'm relatively new to the dis, but have a big trip planned for April. My dd will be almost 3 on the trip and its her first time, and my niece is tagging along now too. She'll be 13 and is awesome. It's her 2nd trip, and I think my mom's coming too! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Thanks for reading! I've read up on your PTR as well! Your little one is so precious!

Time to Decorate!

First order of business. We are 90 days out!!!!:cool1:

Now on to Disney trip planning.

I have to give a shout out to MeeskaMomma because she inspired me to do a craft with DD. I wanted to do a little something to challenge her creatively and of course add a little Disney touch/countdown. :artist: DD loves the little 3-5 inch Disney fairy dolls that you can find at many stores. :tinker: They have soft dresses and wings that glitter. pixiedust: So, the craft of choice was of course a fairy box! Just like in the movie.

Tinker_Bell_3_Fairy_House.jpg

She gets sort of bored when coloring, but she loved this one! She mostly wanted to just put stickers on her fairy box. My favorite part was probably the way she said the word “decorate”. She told everyone in the house that she was “deC-or-A-Teing” she kept stressing the “c”, “a” and “t”. I honestly can’t describe it. Lol. It was probably the strangest thing I’ve heard her say. It sounded correct though, so I wasn’t sure how to correct her. Or maybe I say it wrong? At that point I was sort of confused too.
After about 20 minutes we had a fairy box!

IMG_0250%255B1%255D.JPG

(Sorry the picture is a little grainy and don't mind the mess!)

Inside she keeps a blanket (because fairies can be very delicate) and the fairies lay together. It’s become a huge hit at home.

I had to share and record this project because I enjoyed doing this with her so much! We learned about scissors, crayons, stickers, used our imaginations plus some bonus Disney Education! Woohoo!

And now I’m trying to think of something else we can do each week to countdown our trip and maybe work on a skill as well. Any suggestions?

Magic Bands!!

We love new technology! DH builds our computers, modifies software code to make it more efficient and is always bringing home new ideas and gadgets from school/work. We are pretty excited about the idea of incorporating RFID technology into stuff in general, so we are excited to try out Disney’s magic bands.

I’ve been following a few of the magic band / fastpass+ threads for a couple of weeks. There has been some great information, and it has been very addicting. Needless to say it didn’t take long for me to also start checking my MDE account daily for the moment when I would finally get that pop-up to personalize magic bands and make my fastpass+ selections. :surfweb:

Last week I woke up to a great surprise. I finally received a new prompt to personalize my bands! :woohoo: I was a little worried because I haven’t had success with seeing all the tickets on the reservation page. DH made the reservations so we’ve had to use his account for updating ADRs and such, but I manage DD and DS’s accounts. Thus far he can’t see DD and DS’s tickets (not sure why). :scratching But when we went to personalize the magic bands this morning, we had no problems seeing all 5 magic bands!! Such relief. All the girls wanted pink (of course). But I convinced everyone to get a different color to help us stay organized. Totally hope “purple” does become an option someday, but no biggie. Overall, I didn’t experience any technical issues and was able to complete the task in about 5 minutes. Not bad. Wasn’t able to make fastpass+ reservations yet, but that will happen in a few days.

Happy Planning Everyone! :goodvibes

Love the fairy box! She did a great job! Goose loves sticker projects, but he still likes to stack them on each other. Isn't it funny how our kids make us really think about how we say things as they learn to talk!

Hooray for magic bands? How many days out did the prompt pop up? I love hearing that other people geek out over Disney's tech use and over all efficiency innovations :)

Love the fairy box! She did a great job! Goose loves sticker projects, but he still likes to stack them on each other. Isn't it funny how our kids make us really think about how we say things as they learn to talk!

Hooray for magic bands? How many days out did the prompt pop up? I love hearing that other people geek out over Disney's tech use and over all efficiency innovations :)

Hey there! Sorry for the incredibly late reply!

It prompted about 70-80 days out (I wish I could remember the exact day now!) It was super easy too (and they look awesome!)

A Holiday Update

Happy New Year Everyone!

These last few weeks have been filled with so much excitement! November through January is busy for us because we have Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and three birthdays (mine, DD and DH).

My birthday was pretty normal. Nothing big or fancy.

For DD we went to the local zoo. She had a wonderful day, and they had an amazing staff. My little girl is now 3! princess:

(picture coming soon. promise!)

Next up was a little mini vacation (aka Disney practice) because DS has never slept away from home. Plus it was my birthday present! Our little excursion was to Washington, D.C. We decided to do only one night but two full days at the National Zoo and the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.

Day 1: The National Zoo

After an uneventful car ride into Washington, D.C. we parked the car and hoped onto the Metro. It was one of the best Zoo days we have had because it wasnt crowded at all. We really felt like we could enjoy all the buildings and exhibits.

IMG_0363.JPG

DS and Mama with a sleepy Cheetah

Favorite moment of the day was the lion! He looks just like Scar and sounded like him too! He made so much noise. It was absolutely amazing.

IMG_0393.JPG

One lesson we learned was that both kids willingly took naps in the stroller! I had no idea that would actually happen. I honestly planned on returning mid-day at Disney for naps, but now Im crossing my fingers that we nap in the parks.

We spent the night at a Marriott Residence Inn in Tysons Corner, VA. We really liked this hotel. Its small and doesn't look like much from the outside but it was a great little studio suite, only cost $90 for the night and came with free wifi and breakfast. :cheer2:

Day 2: National Museum of Natural History

DH had never been to any of the Smithsonian museums and he grew up only a couple of hours away! So this was going to be a real treat for everyone.

IMG_0443.JPG

Now DD had been asking for days to see a purple dinosaur. Well, they werent purple and they were MUCH bigger than she expected. Needless to say, we skipped the dinosaurs. She kept just backing up and going back to the teeny tiny fossils at the entrance.

The highlights for all of us were the bone room, Insect Zoo, live tarantula feeding, Hope Diamond (of course!) and mammals exhibit.

IMG_0456.JPG

Sorry this one is blurry! DD and DH enjoying the mammals exhibit!

After about 4 hours of touring we again all napped in the stroller!! :woohoo:

At this point DC was a mess of snow, ice, sleet and rain. It was a very, very long ride home.

But we really enjoyed our mini trip and learned a lot. We nap in strollers; we need to bring yogurt melts, pretzels and rice crackers; going to bring water bottles with built in filters so we aren't lugging around 5-6 bottles of water a day; and a backpack will be our day bag in the parks instead of the diaper bag.

We are officially more excited than ever. But we definitely need to work on mama and daddys stamina. We were so tired and that was nothing compared to long days at Disney!

After all that excitement we enjoyed a great Christmas with family and friends. Then Santa decided to give one more gift on Friday after Christmas. Our Magic Bands! pixiedust:

More on this to come!

We still have one more birthday, a few really busy days at work, a work trip and then off to WDW!! :cheer2:

Time for an ADR Update

So it is time for a quick ADR update.

Several weeks ago DH got a surprise call from none other than....

Victoria and Alberts!!

They were supposed to be in rehab during our stay but called to let us know that they will be open on our last night. Turns out that we were first on the list for the Chef's Table!!!! :cool1:

But.....

The Chef's Table wouldn't be ready by that night. :sad2:

So they offered the Queen Victoria Room instead.

DH was so excited. This is his #1 Disney Bucket List item. The man LOVES food. We immediately said yes. Might not be the Chef's Table, but still pretty exciting.

So the new run down of ADRs is...

Saturday: Epcot Day (We'll just eat "around the world" and sample as much as we can.)

Sunday: Cinderella's Royal Table

Monday: The Hollywood Brown Derby - Fantasmic Package

Tuesday: Crystal Palace / Be Our Guest

Wednesday: Chef Mickey's

Victoria and Albert's Queen Victoria Room

Thursday: Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter