The Marvels

Single biggest issue hurting all Disney movies right now is the $250-$350-450 Million budgets before marketing. It’s just not very intelligent to make a move that requires $900K to break even in the post Covid cinema world.

Last edited:
Single biggest issue hurting all Disney movie right now is the $250-$350-450 Million budgets before marketing. It’s just not very intelligent to make a move that requires $900K to break even in the post Covid cinema world.

There is some room for that, but they better be HUGE, MUST-SEE-AT-THE-THEATER movies, something like Avatar. Otherwise, it's tough going right now for sure. There can probably be only be one of those a year - maybe two if they are spread out enough.

Last edited:
I saw Avatar 2 in the theaters and I know it smashed records but I don’t personally know anyone else that watched it. Or part 1 for that matter lol

Flight of passage is amazing though

Avatar 1&2 were visual spectacles that were just one of those movies that was much much better on the big screen. Story was basically the same as fern gully, but man was it visually stunning.

No rewatchability to me, but great in the theater.

Unlike the first 6 Star Wars, that I could rewatch multiple times a year.

Last edited:

Yea avatar was 1 and done for me

I watch something in the Star Wars universe daily
Agreed. Saw Avatar once at the movies, and still haven't seen the second one, and don't care.
Even if it's just some youtube stuff, I'm watching/listening to something SW all the time.
I just listened to a podcast on The Mortis Arc, and plan to watch it again very soon. Even if someone doesn't want to commit to ALL of the Clone Wars, that arc would be a great one, esp with the references in Ahsoka, and of course the final episodes...so good!

Back to Marvels. I'm still looking forward to watching it , most likely streaming. Only movie I"ve seen recently was GotG 3, which was good. oh, and Indiana Jones 5, which I also thought was surpisingly good. But mostly I just wait for streaming, so I know I"m part of the problem with the low box office. I just rarely like making the effort to get out and go to the theater.
I did not at all like Loki season 2. DH did, so glad he enjoyed it. He was really disappointed w Secret Invasion. Me too, but I didn't have many expectations for it.

Never saw it, was it good?

FernGully is decent - it's an animated film from Don Bluth. While it does have similar themes to Avatar, it is incredibly reductive to equate the two. They in fact offer incredibly different experiences and it has just become a trope to tear Avatar down by just calling it "FernGully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas in space." First of all, those are all good movies, and secondly, they nor Avatar are really exactly the same. You may as well say the same about any sci-fi mocie - "Oh, it's just *BLANK* in sapce." It's fair if someone wants to criticise Avatar, but please come up with a better and more original argument.

Last edited:
Ok dances with wolves with blue native Americans, that better? Avatar was great in the theater, but I would much rather rewatch dances with wolves personally.

The ride at WDW however is freaking incredible!

Ok dances with wolves with blue native Americans, that better? Avatar was great in the theater, but I would much rather rewatch dances with wolves personally.

The ride at WDW however is freaking incredible!

I mentioned that one too. It's all reductive. I was watching this movie called Star Wars and I don't get the big deal - it's just The Hidden Fortress in space!

They all borrow from each other, and that likely never changes. George Lucas’s inspirations for Star Wars were samurai films and spaghetti westerns, and this is really clear watching 1-6 after you know that.

Heck Stranger things was a huge hit for Netflix and it borrowed heavily from so much that came before it.

They all borrow from each other, and that likely never changes. George Lucas’s inspirations for Star Wars were samurai films and spaghetti westerns, and this is really clear watching 1-6 after you know that.

Heck Stranger things was a huge hit for Netflix and it borrowed heavily from so much that came before it.

Exactly, which is why it is incredibly dismissive and unproductive to offer those comparisons as criticism.

Star Wars is literally Dune

Very True.

Stranger things does borrow heavily from its 1980's inspirations. It's basically Stephen King meets Spielberg. Still enjoy it. But then I'm a kid of the 80's so there you go.

Yes Star Wars borrows heavily from Westerns and Samurai films and still echoes those. Lot's for modern pop culture borrows from earlier works. Plus you can look at Star Wars as a Fantasy film. Wizards and all. a Princess. Again probably why I love Star Wars more than most science fiction.

Star Trek was famously called Stagecoach to the Stars I believe

Last edited:
FernGully is decent - it's an animated film from Don Bluth. While it does have similar themes to Avatar, it is incredibly reductive to equate the two. They in fact offer incredibly different experiences and it has just become a trope to tear Avatar down by just calling it "FernGully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas in space." First of all, those are all good movies, and secondly, they nor Avatar are really exactly the same. You may as well say the same about any sci-fi mocie - "Oh, it's just *BLANK* in sapce." It's fair if someone wants to criticise Avatar, but please come up with a better and more original argument.
:duck:

I kid, I kid!

Don Bluth was not involved in Ferngully. It was an independent project.

/sorry I know that's not related to the Marvels. Carry on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter