The Marvels

Funny when the scores are negative its always review brigading.

Ant Man was awful as well.

In the end it comes down to the scoreboard - it seems this will be another huge loss for Disney - that is the bottom line - loss after loss. Oh and BTW - the audience for the marvels was 65% male so I guess the three women thing does not really play into it - women did not come out for it.
Oh and BTW I said on this board

When it comes to RT I usually toss critic reviews

But it does seem like most including myself that actually went to the theater and saw the movie agree the movie is good

As far as Disney’s bottom line? I don’t care about how much money they make or do not make. I don’t work for them or hold on stocks. I go to the parks I watch the shows and movies.

Funny when the scores are negative its always review brigading.

Ant Man was awful as well.

In the end it comes down to the scoreboard - it seems this will be another huge loss for Disney - that is the bottom line - loss after loss. Oh and BTW - the audience for the marvels was 65% male so I guess the three women thing does not really play into it - women did not come out for it.
Spitting facts this morning.

People are not looking for factual info, they only want confirmation of what they already feel. Facts don’t care about people’s feelings, and never will.

Oh and BTW I said on this board

When it comes to RT I usually toss critic reviews

But it does seem like most including myself that actually went to the theater and saw the movie agree the movie is good

As far as Disney’s bottom line? I don’t care about how much money they make or do not make. I don’t work for them or hold on stocks. I go to the parks I watch the shows and movies.
Well I do care what the movies make, and what Disney+ makes, and what the parks make, and what the cruises make. I have been a Disney investor since the 80s.

I can respect that you don’t care if a movie is profitable, but I assure you the Disney stockholders certainly do care!

Remember a movie can only be good or have good performances if it makes billions at the box office

Source: two randos from disboards

Well I do care what the movies make, and what Disney+ makes, and what the parks make, and what the cruises make. I have been a Disney investor since the 80s.

I can respect that you don’t care if a movie is profitable, but I assure you the Disney stockholders certainly do care.
Cool. So then I can’t take your opinion seriously since your so emotionally and financially invested in the success of these projects

Meanwhile I’ll be going and enjoying or not enjoying these releases

It’s like when sports fans flip out on a signing or a teams payroll. Who cares how much money they spend, it ain’t my money

Well you should care because it increases the cost of every thing you might want or need to purchase or experience in daily life.

I just saw the movie w/ friend and we both agreed it was a fun movie and never had so many weird surprises in the entire Movie and laughed so much with everything !
I guess I have become cat lover … what a surprise !

Honestly, and I still do like IW/Endgame, but I find that they jsut got too big. Endgame is lower tier Marvel for me. Infinity War is better, but I like the first Avengers the most. I like the smaller, early Phase movies like The First Avenger more than the ones that are deep in the Infinity Saga.
I loved The Avengers when it first came out and have seen it dozens of times, but the Whedon quippiness has really worn thin for me now and I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

The Captain America movies are all my favorites, those get re-watched all the time along with Infinity War and Endgame.

Spitting facts this morning.

People are not looking for factual info, they only want confirmation of what they already feel. Facts don’t care about people’s feelings, and never will.

You accuse others of this so much, yet you are also only looking for confirmation based on your feelings. You expected this movie to fail, and it did, so you assume it is for all of the reasons that you believe. It's actually much more complicated than that, but you consider those facts to be convenient excuses. Most of us here can seperate facts from feelings, just as we can seperate a movie's success from our own personal enjoyment of it.

I loved The Avengers when it first came out and have seen it dozens of times, but the Whedon quippiness has really worn thin for me now and I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

The Captain America movies are all my favorites, those get re-watched all the time along with Infinity War and Endgame.

I like the first Captain America the best. Civil War is just okay. I usually think that the movies suffer when they try to cram too much into them, hence my ranking Endgame, No Way home, etc. as the lower tier ones. I had originally worried that the first Avengers would try to cram too much in, but they were actually able to make it work. I had no idea what "too much" would really look like!

I actually really don’t like the first captain America it was just so boring to me

I think my #1 MCU is civil war

Saw this on Friday. Most fun Marvel movie in a LONG time. I didn't like it as much as the first Captain Marvel, though, and thought it was the rare movie that could have benefitted from being longer. The three leads were all great together and Iman Vellani continues to be perfection as Kamala Khan. That one song cue was absolutely ridiculous and had me rolling on the floor. And the mid-credits scene was awesome.

Re: the box office take - I think people are underestimating the affect the actor's strike has had on movie promos lately.

You accuse others of this so much, yet you are also only looking for confirmation based on your feelings. You expected this movie to fail, and it did, so you assume it is for all of the reasons that you believe. It's actually much more complicated than that, but you consider those facts to be convenient excuses. Most of us here can seperate facts from feelings, just as we can seperate a movie's success from our own personal enjoyment of it.
Not exclusively, I just follow all of this very closely on all sides. When I saw the way the Marvels was being marketed with gender and race being main selling points, I suspected it would fall flat. I have no issue with female super hero’s, I do think telling a great story must come first. I also believe marketing to primarily one portion of a fan base is a risky proposition. Specifically in a comic book / superhero fandom that has traditionally been more supported by males than females.

Also I thought Ant Man had a convoluted bad story that wouldn’t do well. I thought the quantum realm stuff was a little hokey.

I thought Wonder Woman 1 and Black Widow and Wanda (before Strange 2) were examples of very well written hero’s that happened to be female.

Here is a question, why do you feel the female fans have not run out to support this film (65% male audience thus far)?

Not exclusively, I just follow all of this very closely on all sides. When I saw the way the Marvels was being marketed with gender and race being main selling points, I suspected it would fall flat. I have no issue with female super hero’s, I do think telling a great story must come first. I also believe marketing to primarily one portion of a fan base is a risky proposition. Specifically in a comic book / superhero fandom that has traditionally been more supported by males than females.

Also I thought Ant Man had a convoluted bad story that wouldn’t do well. I thought the quantum realm stuff was a little hokey.

I thought Wonder Woman 1 and Black Widow and Wanda (before Strange 2) were examples of very well written hero’s that happened to be female.

Here is a question, why do you feel the female fans have not run out to support this film (65% male audience thus far)?

Where did you see that? I did not see that at all. I swear, if a movie has women in the trailer it is automatically flagged as being marketed solely at women.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...s-rethinks-movie-strategy-marvels-1235645119/

Marvel Studios Taking Stock of Strategy Amid ‘The Marvels’ Meltdown

Kevin Feige's storied superhero studio and parent company Disney will now release only one superhero pic next year — Shawn Levy and Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool 3' — instead of three.

November 14, 2023 6:30am PST
by Pamela McClintock

The anything-but-marvelous performance of The Marvels is a moment of reckoning for Marvel Studios, the production house that has been the superhero of the box office for much of the past 15 years since Iron Man burst onto the scene in 2008.

Over the Nov. 10-12 weekend, The Marvels debuted to $46.1 million in North America, the worst opening in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which has raked in more than $30 billion in global movie ticket sales. The 33rd MCU installment was battered by withering audience exit scores and a ho-hum B CinemaScore.

But it wasn’t the first warning sign that something was amiss within Marvel in terms of quality control as Feige’s team went into overdrive producing shows for streaming; features Eternals and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantamania were also slapped with B CinemaScore, while audiences began complaining about keeping up with an increasing number of shows on Disney+ to understand the overarching MCU story.

Behind the scenes, Marvel Studios and Disney were well aware The Marvels was in trouble before it hit the big screen. There was also a recognition that Feige and his team needed time to take a stock of their theatrical tentpoles, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. On Nov. 8, Bob Iger said during on an earnings call that Disney’s movie empire has “lost focus” because of an emphasis on quantity over quality in the rush to feed Disney+ under the Bob Chapek regime (though it was Iger himself who initiated this push before Chapek’s reign.) Feige and his team felt this mandate keenly, to detriment of Marvel’s movies, sources say.

A day later, Marvel and Disney revealed they were scaling back the number of superhero films they will release in 2024 from three to one. That news was made at the end of the SAG-AFTRA strike, and while the work stoppage, which shut down production on Deadpool 3, is certainly part of the reason for some of the date changes, it wasn’t the only one, sources say.

Shawn Levy and Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool 3 will be Marvel and Disney’s sole superhero offering in 2024, and will now open on July 26 instead of May 3. The high-profile threequel, which co-stars Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, is the first Deadpool to be released by Disney since it acquired 20th Century Fox and is also the first R-rated pic to be released by Marvel Studios. The marquee title is described as a multi-verse spanning feature that will set the stage for Marvel’s upcoming Avengers movies.

Marvel Studios’ Captain America: New World Order, which was previously set to hit theaters on July 26, has been delayed nine months to Feb. 14, 2025, which will give the studio time to shoot additional material. Marvel’s anti-hero centric movie Thunderbolts, starring Florence Pugh and Sebastian Stan, is moving from Dec. 20, 2024, to July 25, 2025.

Among 2025 titles, Blade, starring Mahershala Ali, has been pushed back nine months, moving its release date from Feb. 14, 2025 to Nov. 7, 2025. Both Blade and Thunderbolts were planning on going into production this past summer but did not have scripts that were ready in time so were shut down amid the writers strike in May. The release date changes announced Nov. 9 mean that Marvel has four superhero pics set for 2025 when including the Fantastic Four reboot, set for release on May 2 (like Deadpool, Fantastic Four arrived from 20th Century), but that could change.

Rather than being a straight-up sequel to the billion-dollar blockbuster Captain Marvel, The Marvels is something of a mashup. In the movie, Larson is joined by Iman Vellani, the breakout star of the Disney+ series Ms. Marvel, as well as WandaVision‘s Teyonah Parris as the grown-up version of Captain Marvel character Monica Rambeau. Mixing and matching characters for sequels is a game plan Marvel has used in the past on films like Captain America: Civil War, which featured nearly every Marvel character imaginable, but to much different results, grossing $1.15 billion in 2016.

“Why not simply make Captain Marvel 2? Why produce The Marvels when your audience identified, empathized, and even hero-identified with Brie Larson’s character? More importantly, why offer people similar or the same characters and stories that are on Disney+ if you expect them to go to a theater together? Disney/Marvel diluted their product,” says one film producer. “Of course, a picture works or fails for other reasons too, but losing so much value picture-over-picture is rare and hard to do.”

Captain Marvel debuted to $153.4 million in North America on its way to earning a massive $1.13 billion worldwide, not adjusted for inflation. To be sure that movie had a clear advantage in that it was teased in the post-credit scene of 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War, while its titular star was a player in 2019’s Avengers: Endgame (it was released between the two Marvel mega-blockbusters).

Until now, rival DC was the superhero studio that endured the biggest ups and downs, with a good number of its films opening to $50 million or less (in comparison, many MCU releases started with $100 million or more domestically). This summer, DC’s The Flash debuted to a dismal $55 million domestically on its way to topping out at a paltry $270.6 million globally.

Notes Comscore box office analyst Paul Dergarabedian, “the uneven performance of all superhero films in recent years should be a wakeup call in terms of how these films are conceived executed and marketed moving forward.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter