The Marvels

No doubt that the first Captain Marvel was aided by being marketed as required viewing for End Game. I think that is the ultimate problem here and it’s hard to get people invested again after end game.

I also think the social priorities of the casting seeming a tad like they had a list of boxes to check for this movie, doesn’t exactly help things. Right, wrong, or indifferent, people want to be entertained and not lectured about what superhero characters they should like. Brie Larson’s past vocal call outs of male movie goers likely results in some people being unwilling to support anything she stars in. I just think it is stupid to alienate potential moviegoers with mess like this, but I am sure many on here love what Larson said. Basically, If you tell me you dislike me and don’t want me to spend money on your products, I will react accordingly.

No doubt that the first Captain Marvel was aided by being marketed as required viewing for End Game. I think that is the ultimate problem here and it’s hard to get people invested again after end game.

I also think the social priorities of the casting seeming a tad like they had a list of boxes to check for this movie, doesn’t exactly help things. Right, wrong, or indifferent, people want to be entertained and not lectured about what superhero characters they should like. Brie Larson’s past vocal call outs of male movie goers likely results in some people being unwilling to support anything she stars in. I just think it is stupid to alienate potential moviegoers with mess like this, but I am sure many on here love what Larson said. Basically, If you tell me you dislike me and don’t want me to spend money on your products, I will react accordingly.

And yet, the movie's audience skewed male. Brie has never said anything anti-male - she has merely commented on how sometimes people gert really upset about things that have nothing to do with them. It boils down to, "Don't like it? Don't watch it." I seriously doubt that anything she has said would have a major impact on the box-office.

Secondly, the characters in the film were cast exactly as they appear in the comic books. Don't people always complain when they don't do that? Of course, Monica was created in the early '80s as a bit of an homage to Pam Grier, but also to add a black and female presence to the Avengers roster. GASP. They were doing THAT in 1982? Yes, yes they were.

Last edited:
So lowest opening ($47 M) in MCU history. What will be your explanation when the next Marvel Movie performs significantly better?

Larson realized she damaged her image so much that she hired a rehab firm during Covid to try and help rebuild it. You never saw her cringy YouTube videos she was doing to try and reinvent herself as the nerdy gamer, that dresses skimpy at times? You didn’t see her suddenly tone everything way down and even start wearing more “male gaze” inducing clothing on talk shows and such? How did you miss that?

Best thing that ever happened to Brie was Rachel Zegler coming on so strong to take Brie’s spot as the most disliked actress.

Last edited:
So lowest opening ($47 M) in MCU history. What will be your explanation when the next Marvel Movie performs significantly better?

Larson realized she damaged her image so much that she hired a rehab firm during Covid to try and help rebuild it. You never saw her cringy YouTube videos she was doing to try and reinvent herself and the nerdy gamer, that dresses skimpy at times? You didn’t see her suddenly tone everything way down and even start wearing more “male gaze” inducing clothing on talk shows and such? How did you miss that?

Best thing that ever happened to Brie was Rachel Zegler coming on so strong to take Brie’s spot as the most disliked actress.

Well, I actually DON'T think the next Marvel movie will perform significantly better - not unless it has Chris Evans or RDJ in it, ha ha! This is a Marvel problem (and a general box-office problem), not a Brie proplem. Most people don't even have any idea about any of that stuff. Brie just is who she is - she's not trying to rehab because she never said anything that the majority of people would find offensive. It's just some noisy Internet trolls crying about it. Personally, I'd love to hang with Brie - she seems cool.

Larson realized she damaged her image so much that she hired a rehab firm during Covid to try and help rebuild it. You never saw her cringy YouTube videos she was doing to try and reinvent herself as the nerdy gamer, that dresses skimpy at times? You didn’t see her suddenly tone everything way down and even start wearing more “male gaze” inducing clothing on talk shows and such? How did you miss that?

I have not commented to you directly but am familiar with the wording in your posts, especially in the Rumors and News forum. You have mentioned several times about posts being reported, but the phrasing in your posts are dropped dog whistles such as "hive mind". Don't you think the wording you use reflects exactly what you suggest other posters are doing? Just these two posts contain phrasing that can lead down a volatile path.

Just because some posters get called out for the passive-aggressive tones in their posts does not mean it's an immediate reporting issue unlike posts containing downright misogyny, bigotry, etc. I think the majority of us want to talk about all sides of the quality Disney is putting out (theme parks, movies, TV, etc) and are not as hyper-focused as some who cast the bait nets.

The next one is Deadpool 3, so I don't think you can really compare.
I was just about to say this. A Deadpool movie and its introduction into the MCU? Yeah that film is gonna do pretty well I presume. On top of that we've got no other marvel movies coming out until that one in the summer of next year. The marvel fatigue might have worn off by then.

I was just about to say this. A Deadpool movie and its introduction into the MCU? Yeah that film is gonna do pretty well I presume. On top of that we've got no other marvel movies coming out until that one in the summer of next year. The marvel fatigue might have worn off by then.

I'm not so sure. While Deadpool was popular, it has been a long time since the last one. The MCU is struggling too now, when it was unthinkable not too long ago. Also, I'm not sure that A: people will see this as an "MCU Movie" even if they position it as such, and, B: That is is better for it to be associated with the clearly declining MCU brand.

If it has Deadpool and Wolverine in it…..like the set pics suggest……..it will do very well. Pretty funny to read the tap dancing around a topic that happens on here at times. Downright humorous!

Last edited:
How can I take this type of "independent thinking" seriously? These people haven't seen the movie, yet they're hoping for it to bomb and the company that made it to fold. How much "thinking" was actually involved?
Who has ever stated they wanted Disney to fold? See the error of their ways and change course, yes. Fail, nope.

As a Disney stock owner since the 80s, why on earth would I want Disney to fail?

Who has ever stated they wanted Disney to fold? See the error of their ways and change course, yes. Fail, nope.

As a Disney stock owner since the 80s, why on earth would I want Disney to fail?

I think we can all agree that Disney is facing some challenges right now and could do some things differently. The disagreement comes from exactly what they should be doing differently. The "error of their ways" is poor marketing, stagnation, and release strategies that canibalize each other. Anything else is just noise.

I think we can all agree that Disney is facing some challenges right now and could do some things differently. The disagreement comes from exactly what they should be doing differently. The "error of their ways" is poor marketing, stagnation, and release strategies that canibalize each other. Anything else is just noise.
Add bad scripts, bad ideas, and poorly executed productions ……… and I can agree with your statements.

Add bad scripts, bad ideas, and poorly executed productions ……… and I can agree with your statements.

I think I could agree with that for some of their Disney+ output, but the tehatrical stuff ahs been mostly fine in that regard. Many of the movies are good movies. Some of them aren't great movies though and aren't going to make the kind of money that they need to make.

I'm not so sure. While Deadpool was popular, it has been a long time since the last one. The MCU is struggling too now, when it was unthinkable not too long ago. Also, I'm not sure that A: people will see this as an "MCU Movie" even if they position it as such, and, B: That is is better for it to be associated with the clearly declining MCU brand.
As long as Disney does not mess with it to much it will do well - that is the big issue - how much will they do to mess it up.

The Marvels and much of the D+ Marvel stuff is not made for me so don't expect me to go and don't whine when I don't go. They say if you don't like it don't watch it, but then they complain when I don't support it.

I enjoyed all the Marvel shows on Netflix. Were they great - no - but they were all watchable and enjoyable.
Same with Avengers and X-men for me - was never a big fan - they are just Popcorn movies for me and I will watch them.

I don't buy into superhero fatigue - its an issue of not making the movies the audience wants and why do we continually have to crap on existing characters to prop up new ones.
Same for recent Star Wars and Indy movies. what is the common denominator - Disney?

Marvels has a poor story line to start with. Lots of problems and inconsistencies IMO and as I said it's not made for me.
Thing is exactly who is it made for? Why did they not go see it? Why did they not support it?
Maybe this business model needs to be rethought.

As long as Disney does not mess with it to much it will do well - that is the big issue - how much will they do to mess it up.

The Marvels and much of the D+ Marvel stuff is not made for me so don't expect me to go and don't whine when I don't go. They say if you don't like it don't watch it, but then they complain when I don't support it.

I enjoyed all the Marvel shows on Netflix. Were they great - no - but they were all watchable and enjoyable.
Same with Avengers and X-men for me - was never a big fan - they are just Popcorn movies for me and I will watch them.

I don't buy into superhero fatigue - its an issue of not making the movies the audience wants and why do we continually have to crap on existing characters to prop up new ones.
Same for recent Star Wars and Indy movies. what is the common denominator - Disney?

Marvels has a poor story line to start with. Lots of problems and inconsistencies IMO and as I said it's not made for me.
Thing is exactly who is it made for? Why did they not go see it? Why did they not support it?
Maybe this business model needs to be rethought.

I'm not sure it's really "Superhero Fatigue" but more that people are just fans of certian superheroes - that is to say Iron Man and Captain America. People were into the others as long as all roads led back to Steve & Tony. Now they don't and people are just more interested in other things.

Only one Star Wars movie did poorly though and it's because it came out in a bad window and also wasn't related to teh big picutre - the same thing the MCU fans want. I will say that Star Wars has made the jump to episodic TV much more successfully than the MCU ever did.

I did disagree about The Marvels having a poor storyline. I thought it was great personally. It is just a fun popcorn movie, but it's pretty enjoyable with good chemistry. It does not really connect though to a bigger story, and audiences have largely moved away from the movies that don't.

But Iron Man was not some juggernaut of a comic character before, it was simply a great script and an incredible job done by RDJ and Jon Favreau that made Iron Man so popular.

If anything I would argue that they Avengers cast were more B team characters initially. They just did an incredible job of building until end game. Now they seem intent to burn it to the ground.

Last edited:
I got tickets for The Marvels tomorrow and I am SUPER pumped. (We usually prefer going on Tuesdays, which are $5 days around here.) I adored the Ms. Marvel series and have enjoyed comics with Kamala Khan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter