The Marvels

Your number is likely really close. The issue is the $220M production budget followed by a $150+ Million in marketing cost. So if they spend this $320 Million on this movie the break even point at the box office is $640 Million. That’s not near as easy to do in the box office as it was years ago even with significantly inflated movie ticket cost.

I just think Marvel has to find a way to get these production budgets down to the $150M range. Everything can’t do Spider-Man no way home kinda box office money. This is the new reality I am afraid.

Yup - these are pre-pandemic budgets in a post-pandemic world. It's becomming a real problem. I do think the movie will do well, but possibly not "well enough."

I think in post Covid world, people got used to just waiting for a movie on streaming. Barbie, Oppenheimer became an event thing this year for a couple of weeks. Other than Taylor concert movie, not a lot of must watch opening day movies to make people go to the theater. I also wonder how people with monthly theater subscriptions are counted towards box office. I had Regal unlimited for a couple of years but canceled it in Aug since the strikes are going to push back release dates

Plus with actor’s strike, they can’t go out and promote the film at press junkets, talk shows etc.

The weird thing is we still get a few that peg the old numbers.

Barbie = $1.4 B

Super Mario = $1.4 B

Oppenheimer = $950 M

Top Gun = $1.5 B

I guess just way less than we used to.

I'm so looking forward to this movie. I loved Ms. Marvel the series. One of my favorites of all the series they created. I'm looking forward to see more of Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau. Both were great characters that I want to see more of. Plus Goose.

I think that Marvel will probably be retooled in the future in fact I believe it has already started. I would very much like to see another Shang-Chi movie. More focus on Quality rather than quantity. Moon Knight is another one I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

Last edited:

Still very excited about this movie! but I'll still likely not see it in the theater and will wait. I think a lot of folks just do that now, wait for streaming. I really enjoyed the Ms Marvel series. and rewatched most of Captain Marvel recently, so it's fresher in my mind.
I am not personally enjoying Loki, but DH is very much. I'm going to keep on with it though, hope it gets better. I would also very much like another Shang Chi story, Not Moon Knight. I haven't been keeping up with Marvel news, so not sure what all is on slate for the coming years.

I'm so looking forward to this movie. I loved Ms. Marvel the series. One of my favorites of all the series they created. I'm looking forward to see more of Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau. Both were great characters that I want to see more of. Plus Goose.

I think that Marvel will probably be retooled in the future in fact I believe it has already started. I would very much like to see another Shang-Chi movie. More focus on Quality rather than quantity. Moon Knight is another one I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

I liked Ms. Marvel up until the very end. It's like, they hastily wrapped up teh one story/bad guy and suddenly there's this whole new bad guy in the finale. The action is setup such that the core cast of developed characters aren't enough, so, oh, right, the brother and the bully girl just happen to show up for it too. It was a very confusing and muddled ending, which is, unfortunately, quite common to the Marvel Studios TV output.

Still, I like Kamala and am looking forward to the movie.

In the cinema news realm, there's been a lot made about the social media and review embargos. They don't lift until the day before the movie compared to Guardians 3 which lifted about a week before. There's speculation Disney knows the reviews are not going to be good, but who knows until it happens.

The film has been delayed at least four times by my count. It was originally due in July of 2022, then November 2022, then February 2023, then July 2023 and finally they swapped it with Haunted Mansion for a November 2023 debut.

In the cinema news realm, there's been a lot made about the social media and review embargos. They don't lift until the day before the movie compared to Guardians 3 which lifted about a week before. There's speculation Disney knows the reviews are not going to be good, but who knows until it happens.

The film has been delayed at least four times by my count. It was originally due in July of 2022, then November 2022, then February 2023, then July 2023 and finally they swapped it with Haunted Mansion for a November 2023 debut.

Review embargoes are usually a bad sign and are usually motivated by a lack of faith in the picture by the studio. That said, this one is also going to be polarizing and they may be trying to mitigate that kind of fallout.

That and I feel like a number of people are going through a bit of Marvel burn out right now.

Secret Invasion about did me in.

I'm just barely hanging on with Loki. I'm a diehard and I have to rewatch most episodes to understand everything that is going on. It's mentally exhausting for a Marvel series.

Secret Invasion about did me in.

I'm just barely hanging on with Loki. I'm a diehard and I have to rewatch most episodes to understand everything that is going on. It's mentally exhausting for a Marvel series.
You are not alone……it was rough. Even the awesome Sam Jackson could not save that terrible script!

You are not alone……it was rough. Even the awesome Sam Jackson could not save that terrible script!

As with so many MArvel series, it started pretty strong, and then...just...fell apart? I don't know.

I did like how She-Hulk ended where it was clearly falling apart like most Marvel shows, but then she calls them out on it. If they're so self-concious as to know, why can't they fix it?

I'm so looking forward to this movie. I loved Ms. Marvel the series. One of my favorites of all the series they created. I'm looking forward to see more of Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau. Both were great characters that I want to see more of.
I totally agree. I don't go to see that many movies in theatres, but I want to see this one on the big screen. It's going to be fun!

I was reading the director left during post production to start working on her new film....probably not a great sign?

either way I have opening night tickets and looking forward to seeing it. I think Phase 4 was the second best phase of MCU so far so I still enjoy the films and shows. But it does feel like the movies are connecting together as seamlessly as they did

Well, I saw it tonight. It was great - easily a top 10 MCU movie, possibly higher! It's really fun and I enjoyed everything aside from a rather unfortunate mid-credits scene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter