• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The man who predicted 9/11

carolfoy

<font color=cc6633>One has Ones hat and One's orf.
Did anyone else see this documentary last night on C4? very thought provoking and a huge tribute to a very unselfish and brave man!
How nice there are still some people who really do put others before themselves (of course I'm biased - he was a Cornishman after all :cloud9: )

Yep I saw it, I thought it was very sad, I felt so sorry for his wife when she was talking about the towers coming down and knowing he was dead. If only people had taken him more seriously when he kept telling them about the risk of a terrorist attack.

I didn't see the show. Who did he share this information that he had/received/predicted to, prior to 9/11?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? but to save 2700 lives is just amazing

He was a remarkable man.

The whole program was very thought provoking and it still makes me feel sick seeing those planes fly into the towers.

ITA Muppet, you kind of think the emotional impact would lessen as we've seen that footage so many hundreds of times but watching it again last night brought it all back just how terrible it all was

Sorry Laurajean, he had warned his superiors at Morgan Stanleys that since the terror attacks of '93 that they were vulnerable from the air, he also spent time with his friends and colleagues in his security department trying to work out were the attacks were going to come from and trained ALL the staff to get out quickly, (something they weren't over happy about doing for drills every three months for years before 9/11) His best friend who worked for him said how he and Rick had used a flight simulator programme on their pc to work out safe stairwells etc in the event of an attack.
After the hit other departments in both towers said they'd wished Rick Rescorla had worked for them as they'd all heard him at one point or another discuss the towers vulnerability

Rick was in deed a true hero, a word which is often over used these days. He was also well known for his actions during the Vietnam war, I am sure that there are stories of him rallying his troops singing traditional cornish songs during battle. On a more poignant note, recently Mel Gibson made a film set in Vietnam (forget the name) that should have involved Rick as a main character, but Mel decided to write the character out as he was originally an "Englishman" - sad but true. However, as a Cornishman myself it does make me feel very proud that Rick was the type of person that he was.

I watched this, and also the programme on Ch5 last night, about the Firemans Story.
This was also a very emotional programme.

It makes me cry every time I see something about.

I can't believe it's going to be 4 years on Sunday since it happened.

We were lucky enough to go to NY in April this year, and we visited the site of Ground Zero.

Neither of us barely spoke the whole time we were there.

We stood and read the names of those who lost their lives.
It was VERY, VERY sad.

Then, we visited this little chapel next to where the twin towers used to be, and apart from debris and some broken windows, it was not damaged by the fall of either towers (which was kind of spooky as it's literally about 50 mtrs across the street!).

Inside they have kept a 9/11 theme, and there are helmets of fire fighters who died, and badges from their uniforms, and also lots of photo's and letters from their children etc.

I cried a lot that day, but I am glad I have been there.

It was weird looking at this building site, where they are constructing the new building, knowing what used to be there.

Something kept making me look up but there was nothing there.
It was strange.

Watched it last night and the Fireman's Story. Very thought provoking and highly emotional.

Tink78

When we went to NY last year we too visited Ground Zero. I have never felt so overcome with emotion in my life so far. I didn't think we woild go and see but as we grew closer we had to stop and pay our respects.

It disgusted me to see 'scum' flogging DVDs with the footage of the all the news programmes of the tradgey.

Hi Muppet,

There wasn't anyone selling stuff when we went, but there was this old tramp, who was playing Amazing Grace on his whistle (it was like a small mini recorder).
It made it even more moving as the music was playing.

I am scared about the new building though, as I am worried it will just happen again.
Even with the security, I am sure if they wanted to do it again, they could.

Since going there, I feel more emotional about the footage when you see it on the TV.

We went up the Empire State Building too, and I felt sick about the thought that some people had no choice but to jump.

We were looking down at the floor below us, and I know that DH was thinking the same thing as me as we looked at each with watery eyes, we just had a cuddle and tried not to think about it too much whilst we were up there.

We went to ESB as soon as we got to NY.
I'm not sure I would have gone up it if we had visited Ground Zero first.
Too scary after going there.
xx

9/11 should be something that all children should read about when they are at school. This is so that the future generation can be taught to try and make a difference. Like the World Wars it is something that should be remembered long after we have all gone.

Kernow_Clan said:
Rick was in deed a true hero, a word which is often over used these days. He was also well known for his actions during the Vietnam war, I am sure that there are stories of him rallying his troops singing traditional cornish songs during battle. On a more poignant note, recently Mel Gibson made a film set in Vietnam (forget the name) that should have involved Rick as a main character, but Mel decided to write the character out as he was originally an "Englishman" - sad but true. However, as a Cornishman myself it does make me feel very proud that Rick was the type of person that he was.

Nothing new from Gibson there then, yet the English still watch his films.

I wish i had watched this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter