The line cutting thread has me curious...was I "out of line"?

So 6 people were in line before you and the cm did not take order 5 and 6 before switching to the alternating line? They should have got the order before you but I don't blame you. These line issues happen everywhere.

No, the CM is trained to alternate between sides. The CM cannot be expected to watch the order of when people fill in both of their lanes--their main job is to act as a cashier.

I don't think you were rude for ordering when and where you did. It seems a bit excessive to come back right out of the gate with, "use BOTH sides to order, like every counter service," though.

I'd like to think I would have assumed it was her first visit and she didn't know that (because it's not something generally done outside of WDW), and said something more along the lines of, "At counter service restaurants in Disney World, it's set up so you form two lines and order from both sides." And then maybe asked the cashier for confirmation so she'd see it wasn't just some rule you made up.

Yes, maybe she was out of line to mutter to her husband, but I think the way you responded may have come off as, "You stupid idiot, what kind of moron do you have to be to not already know this thing that you've probably never experienced before?" I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it might have come off that way.

I think you were fine, it's not like you knocked her down and stepped on her kids to get to the other lane lol.

Don't assume that everyone knows that both sides are open -- most don't. If you didn't point out to the people that both sides are open, then yes, it's rude. I know you were within the rules, but come on, what happened to being civil to one another?

It's not just at Disney. The new Tim's near me has 2 lanes for the drive through.Almost always, cars only go to the right most lane. Sometimes there will be 3 or 4 cars waiting in the right lane, no one in the left! I've been honked at a few times when I go to the empty left lane, but the sign clearly states "Use BOTH lanes and proceed in turn."

If they had used the lines correctly, it all would have worked out for them. Couples 1 and 2 get on either side of the cashier, couple 3 takes second position behind one of them, you take second position behind the other. It all would have worked out beautifully for everyone. You would have been helped last, instead of third, BUT you wouldn't have been thought badly of, and wouldn't have this question right now of if you were in the right.

I once tried to tell the people in front of me that they could go to the other line, and they wouldn't. So I did. And got helped first. It's just the way the lines are set up!

We just got back from our most recent trip on the 8th of the this month....while at AK one day, we headed in to Pizzafari for an early lunch. There was only one CM taking orders since it was so early. Me and my 3 kids stood back until we all figured out what they wanted, then I sent the 2 boys to a table and my Dd and I stepped closer to get in line. There were 3 sets (all couples) of people in line on one side of the register...we kind of hung back for a moment because they all seemed to be kind of discussing what they wanted to eat as well. The first couple ordered and moved to the counter, the 2nd couple moved up and started ordering...so Dd and I went to the other side to order. (you know, use BOTH sides to order) Well of course when the CM got done with the 2nd couple, she of course turned to us and took our order...I ordered for all 4 of us and was very quick about it, but from the second the CM turned to us, the lady on the other side IMMEDIATELY started mumbling to her husband about us, how rude we were, how that was ridiculous, etc. I ignored her at first, but I kid you not, she went non-stop for about 60 seconds while we ordered. I finally just looked up at her and said "use BOTH sides to order, like every counter service"...she said "well, that's still rude"...I said "ok, then pay attention I guess".
So was I rude? Should I have waited in the one line behind them, KNOWING full well you use both sides. I'm just curious as to others opinions.
:goodvibes

No, you weren't out of line. But the mentality of the person that was upset at you is pretty much the same as those that post page after page on the line cutting threads - jealousy over you not waiting as long as they did.

ETA - for clarity, by "out of line" I meant you weren't breaking the rules. So technically you did nothing wrong. Personally, I would have at least told them they could use both lanes (actually, I have done this on many occasions). People tend to be lemmings when it comes to lining up and just assume that because everyone is *here*, then this must be where you are supposed to be.

Don't assume that everyone knows that both sides are open -- most don't. If you didn't point out to the people that both sides are open, then yes, it's rude. I know you were within the rules, but come on, what happened to being civil to one another?

A prime example of why I say rudeness is subjective. I actually absolutely agree with you, but many of the rule "sticklers" on here will tell you it isn't rude at all, because you were following the rules, and to h-e-double hockey sticks to anyone that happened to be ignorant of the rules.

Ha.

Quite honestly, if you had not gone to the empty side, somebody else would have.

EXACTLY, and sometimes I will say, they were here first, let them go ahead. But it's not your fault that they weren't paying attention, or couldn't read the sign. :flower3:

The line cutting thread has me curious...was I "out of line"

Nope. Not in the slightest. It is absolutely not your fault that that woman doesn't pay attention or bother to read the signs.

I think this happens a bit in the world.

Last August, almost the same thing happened to me at Pizza Planet with the exception that the supervisor/manager actually came out and told everyone to fill in both sides. A group didn't listen so some of us did and I got the dirtiest looks with the under the breath muttering. I explained that I was just following the directions and offered for them to go in first but instead they choose to stay and be ticked off where they were...I was about to offer the CM to take their order but this firecracker of a grandmother told me "Don't you dare...the employee clearly stated the request...they didn't listen" and then warned me that she would cut me if I let them in. I thanked her cause if anything, I am always wary of rudeness (work in kindergarten, comes with the territory). I was about to let others upset my vacation because they let such a little thing tick them off when I offered to let them go.

I get the whole civility thing and to help first time visitors, which I did for Jedi Training that same morning. That family was grateful for knowledge that they didn't have. Then there are just some people who look for stuff. That you can't help or change.....

I would and have done the same thing many times. I think she was the one being rude to act that way. I am not sure why some people can be so cranky & rude in such a magical place. From the moment i am on the plane to there i just can't help but be happy.

What I like about this thread is that it definitely has me thinking of what I will do if I'm in the same situation when I go on my next trip.

It's good to be prepared for these types of situations. And if I wasn't someone who was reading these boards or other various sites I would have had absolutely no idea about the double lane rule myself.:confused3

I thanked her cause if anything, I am always wary of rudeness (work in kindergarten, comes with the territory).

Thanks for what you do.

Tell me ... are they still teaching the kids how to line up and wait their turn?

I think this happens a bit in the world.

Last August, almost the same thing happened to me at Pizza Planet with the exception that the supervisor/manager actually came out and told everyone to fill in both sides. A group didn't listen so some of us did and I got the dirtiest looks with the under the breath muttering..

Kinda like when the CM tells you to "fill in all the available space" and most people just stand there, then give you the evil eye because you filled in the gap in front of them. I'm sooooooooooooo over it.

Kinda like when the CM tells you to "fill in all the available space" and most people just stand there, then give you the evil eye because you filled in the gap in front of them. I'm sooooooooooooo over it.
Agreed. Working within the system as it's designed... it's not line jumping if there isn't a line...

:thumbsup2

I don't think you were rude for ordering when and where you did. It seems a bit excessive to come back right out of the gate with, "use BOTH sides to order, like every counter service," though.

I'd like to think I would have assumed it was her first visit and she didn't know that (because it's not something generally done outside of WDW), and said something more along the lines of, "At counter service restaurants in Disney World, it's set up so you form two lines and order from both sides." And then maybe asked the cashier for confirmation so she'd see it wasn't just some rule you made up.

Yes, maybe she was out of line to mutter to her husband, but I think the way you responded may have come off as, "You stupid idiot, what kind of moron do you have to be to not already know this thing that you've probably never experienced before?" I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it might have come off that way.
I didn't come "right out of the gate" with my comment...I stood there with my Dd listening to her complaining and griping and moaning for a full minute or more before I even said anything. Had she said one comment and left it alone, I wouldn't have said anything at all...but after listening to her go on and on and on, I said something. The CM was clearly staying out of the conversation, she just smiled and went about her business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter