The Kati Kim story on ABC

Yes. Hannathy always spreads her lack of compassion around the boards, I just couldn't help myself. Calling the parents ignorant?! I couldn't be more disgusted.

look up ignorance. the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

The parents were very ignorant about driving in winter weather, they were unprepared. They made several very poor choices and decisions.

I'm not sure why that disgusts you :confused3 several other people have said the same thing with other descriptive words.

And I was serious I would hate to see innocent children who have no choice but to go with their parents die because of their poor choices and lack of knowledge.

Even if they had just tried to drive out and only made it halfway to the main road maybe, just maybe, they would have been far enough out of the forest to get a little cell phone reception. I can say with certainty that when daybreak came, we would have at least attempted to drive out of there when we could clearly see that there wasn't any civilization where we were parked.

DH was just reminding me about our winter vacations we used to take when we would drive up north to go cross country skiing. We had our car packed to the max with provisions because we knew we were driving into areas where the roads could be treacherous and the weather could make it worse. We did this in the days before we had children. If we were to do that with kids, I am thinking we would rent a U-haul for all the extra stuff we would bring to keep them safe!

Yes. Hannathy always spreads her lack of compassion around the boards, I just couldn't help myself. Calling the parents ignorant?! I couldn't be more disgusted.

You speak about someone else's lack of compassion. Didn't you make a "joke" about people hanging?

If Mississippi wants this, they should have it and the rest of the country can go hang (pun intended)

I realize hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy for us to judge but while watching the program it really did seem as though they weren't proactive about their own survival.
I don't think Kati ever touched on why they didn't try to drive out the next morning? I think that's the thing I find most strange.

Her two daughters are just beautiful.

Yeah, I'm sure those parents had controlling parents themselves. That made them helpless snowflakes....good riddance to bad rubbish.

WOW! Just........WOW!:sad2:

ETA: I see this was sarcasm. The situation was terrible. Who hasn't made a huge mistake in their lifetime? Thank the Lord most mistakes don't turn out as deadly.

DH was just reminding me about our winter vacations we used to take when we would drive up north to go cross country skiing. We had our car packed to the max with provisions because we knew we were driving into areas where the roads could be treacherous and the weather could make it worse. We did this in the days before we had children. If we were to do that with kids, I am thinking we would rent a U-haul for all the extra stuff we would bring to keep them safe!

Exactly! you are prepared. When I took my DD back to school I knew I would be driving back at night in zero to below zero weather and would be in civilization the whole way I still made sure I had a heavy coat, boats, hat, mittens. A blanket, water, snacks, candles, matches, those little hand warmers, 2 charged cell phones, money, etc. When we drove with the kids in the winter we had this for everyone.

I've made wrong turns onto deserted roads and after 5 miles he should have realized something was wrong and knowing they weren't prepared for bad weather he should have stopped and turned around and gone back to the main road.

Yeah, I'm sure those parents had controlling parents themselves. That made them helpless snowflakes....good riddance to bad rubbish.

I can't believe you put this in print. Even if you feel differently in the future, this horrible post will live foreverer. Is this really who you are?

Southern Oregon is not known for it's snowstorms. It's pretty easy to be ignorant of the road situation. They thought they were taking a highway they saw marked on the state map, and their experience with highways meant something totally different than what they encountered.

I had a scary back road in the snow experience once and I was with two people experienced in the back woods of Southern Oregon. We were on a short drive, and what was totally clear was suddenly not. It could have gone bad and I am thankful it didn't. I immediately thought of that day when this tragedy happened.

As I speculated before, perhaps they thought remaining in the clearing was their safest bet, knowing they didn't have enough gas to get back to the freeway and not being sure where they left the highway or even if they did. They didn't know they were on a logging road.

They made a series of very bad decisions. No one disputes that. However, as someone else pointed out, it's easy for us to second guess them. I think it's amazing that 3 of them were able to survive for nine days and they get my admiration for that. I also think ultimately he acted as a hero for his family.

Common advice in these situations is to stay put and make yourself visible from the air. That is what they did. It's amazing three of them survived IMO.

I can't believe you put this in print. Even if you feel differently in the future, this horrible post will live foreverer. Is this really who you are?

Handinpocket's reply was a sarcastic response to Hannathy's post.

Mother Nature and stupidity don't mix well.

Another case of people just assuming they will be taken care of and not preparing or knowing what they were doing. I'm just glad the innocent children made it out OK it isn't their fault they have ignorant parents.

Just this post was enough...you know their children are old enough to read. way to go blaming a horrible accidental tragedy on Mom and Dad.

Now I would love to debate the woefully inadequate state response to the missing persons report.

Really, this whole thing could have easily been avoided unless I am forgetting some of the details. Didn't this whole thing start out at night in an area they weren't familiar with and their goal was to make it to some inn that was hours away? Unfamiliar roads, bad weather being predicted on the radio, middle of the night, two small children, and a wife that really seems like she is of no help = recipe for disaster. I would have pulled into the very first hotel I could find. Heck, I would have slept under a light post in a parking lot before I would have chartered into unknown territory given their situation.

This is just another case of stupid freaky things that happen in life.

This whole story is just so messed up. This brings to mind the ole saying " young and dumb".
After spending the first night in the car, most people would have drove back the way they came or at least tryed. To just stay in one spot when you had gas in the car is beyond me, I can't wrap my brain around that.
and then why wait days until your weak to try and get help? Why not take the cell phone and try and walk to get reception??
Just plain weird. :confused3

Just this post was enough...you know their children are old enough to read. way to go blaming a horrible accidental tragedy on Mom and Dad.

Now I would love to debate the woefully inadequate state response to the missing persons report.

What the heck is this supposed to mean?

Who would you like to blame? sometimes things are the victims fault. Doesn't mean it isn't a tragedy but some things are someones fault. It is a shame their mistake cost him his life but it was still their mistake. Everyday many people loose their lives to a mistake they have made. It is always sad when a life is lost and that loss could have been prevented.

way to go blaming a horrible accidental tragedy on Mom and Dad.

But Mom & Dad ARE to blame. It WAS a horrible accidental tragedy but it was their fault they were in the situation

Her report on the previously posted website (back on page 1) does not match what was said on the TV program. And regardelss of her saying on that website that they saw road signs, that could not have been in refernce to the logging road because the logging road does not have road signs, and on that website she made it sound like they had not driven all that long but TWENTY MILES down a logging road IS a LONG TIME!

But Mom & Dad ARE to blame. It WAS a horrible accidental tragedy but it was their fault they were in the situation

Her report on the previously posted website (back on page 1) does not match what was said on the TV program. And regardelss of her saying on that website that they saw road signs, that could not have been in refernce to the logging road because the logging road does not have road signs, and on that website she made it sound like they had not driven all that long but TWENTY MILES down a logging road IS a LONG TIME!

You know, I hadn't read the link on the first page until you mentioned it. Her story from the link to the tv show doesn't match. In the article, she said they had enough food and water, extra clothes and blankets, socks. she had to ration the food when it was later into the waiting, but tv said they ran out and she had to breastfeed the girls. and there are other inconsistancies.

On tv she seemed like a little dainty flower, didn't mention that she was a life long camper so she was prepared for this road trip.

I mean, i can see if it was a movie about what happened, certain things would be ommited or changed, but this is a news show about what happened out there, why not be more truthful? It' s kind of shady. How do you honor your husband like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter