The July (2010) Plan needs Pixie Dust: DVC, Minivan & Twins Included

It was very easy to make...and I did paint it black, so now I really love it. Of course, it is going to scream CRAZY to my family as soon as they visit my house and see it. They don't seem to think my Disney obsession is normal. :jumping1: If they only knew the half of it. :lmao:

I can relate to that!!:laughing:

So, as Disney veterans, (my whole two visits - three including the 10 year old me who was forced to ride SM :rotfl:), we frequently tell others, "You can't do it all in one visit; so don't try!"

Knowing that well, I want each trip to afford us new experiences with the well loved ones! This trip I've decided that Innoventions(East and West) at Epcot need to be explored. I am not sure if I will be able to put it into the itinerary. It might be a last minute "Oh-my-goodness-it-is-so-hot-detour." I might tentatively put it in though...not sure.

So, I determined that I would know more this trip, and I wanted to share my research with my Dis friends! We entered through Innoventions West during our first trip, Aug. 2008, and we didn't find too many exciting options. I think in part, it had to be my lack of knowledge. However, since that trip, many changes have occurred.

I don't have pics of Innoventions from our last trip, so here is an Epcot shot to add some visual interest to the post:

DSCN1269.jpg

Innoventions East:
Left side facing Spaceship Earth/ Electric Umbrella side
>Don't Waste it! This exhibit will be totally up my one daughter's alley! I try to reduce, recycle and reuse. This will allow us to answer questions to play with virtual trash to see how well we do!

Tip for readers: one way that I help the environment is by not taking bags from stores unless I have to. For example, if I buy a couple of items of clothes, I tell the cashier that I will put them in my purse. (I carry hobo style or a tote style bag usually. Some cashiers are rather insistent that I take a bag, and I am insistent right back. I have a receipt if questioned- I don't need a kohl's bag. :headache: I always say, it is a little thing I can do for the environment. Sorry for slipping focus here.)

>Test the Limits Lab! What 8 year old wouldn't be thrilled with an interactive way to learn about how products are made safe for consumers. (What happens if this hammer hits a television?)

>Sum of all Thrills - Okay, this might be the whole reason anyone should checkout Innoventions East. Make your own rollercoaster and test it out in a simulator! So, cool. If you add inversions, though, you must be 54" to try them. I am not sure if the girls will be quite tall enough. It will be close. They were 51" and 50" in early Oct.

>Storm Struck - Another cool experience for kids who enjoy learning. This simulates a hurricane and for my Pennsylvania family, this is a great way to learn about them!

>Enviromentality Corner - learn more about preserving the environment - you can make paper here which sounds cool. I can't confirm that it is still open though. Someone did confirm that it was there last summer.

Let me take us to Norway briefly before heading to the West:

DSCN1076.jpg

Innoventions West:
Right side (well, if it isn't on the left :laughing:.)
>Slapsticks Studio - Game show for problem solving where kids walk away with a frog they've decorated using velcro. Sounds mildly interesting for my 8 year olds?

>Where's the Fire? Anything I can do to increase my kids' knowledge of fire safety. I am a bit concerned that it might be too young for my daughters, but since my younger brother is a fire chief - we will give it a shot!

>Club Cool - Try out the soft drinks from around the world. I am embarrassed that we have not checked this out. However, we don't allow our daughters to drink soda (with the exception of a special occasion, i.e., wedding Shirley Temple or two or three...) I am not sure if we will do this; I have to check with DH. Otherwise, it will be fun to get pictures of everyone trying Beverly. (My dds have not had cola - maybe I should tell them this is what it tastes like. :rotfl2:)

>Think Place (Smarter Planet presented by IBM - one side is test your knowledge about saving the planet) other side, allows you to create your own avatar and play games using it to learn about having a "smarter planet"

>Video Game playground - new gaming consoles. Although this might be of total interest to our girls, I don't think we will send much time here. (We have a Wii-no need. ;) )

>The Great Piggy Bank Adventure - Interactive Game to teach financial planning. We try to instill the importance of budgeting and discuss money with them. It will be interesting to see how this works and how our daughters relate to it.

> Also in West, you can email postcards and if you have a Disney Visa, you can get a free 5X7 character photo. I have the Visa (but I don't ever use it). Not sure if we will take advantage of this or not.

Interactive PTR opportunity:
Please share your experiences or additional information regarding Innoventions!

It was very easy to make...and I did paint it black, so now I really love it. Of course, it is going to scream CRAZY to my family as soon as they visit my house and see it. They don't seem to think my Disney obsession is normal. :jumping1: If they only knew the half of it. :lmao:

I AM NOT ALONE!!! Thank you!:rotfl:

I AM NOT ALONE!!! Thank you!:rotfl:

Thank Goodness we aren't alone! Without the Dis boards, I might really believe my family...:disrocks:

What other times of year have you been? We've been spoiled because we went in Aug (Tropical Storm Faye cleared the parks for us) and in Feb (a slow time before Pres. weekend.) I am worried about the crowds and heat, but PA temps are pretty high in the summer (the sun just isn't quite as hot). Since we are early risers, we will take advantage of the time others are sleeping late on vacation. :cutie:

Thank Goodness we aren't alone! Without the Dis boards, I might really believe my family...:disrocks:

What other times of year have you been? We've been spoiled because we went in Aug (Tropical Storm Faye cleared the parks for us) and in Feb (a slow time before Pres. weekend.) I am worried about the crowds and heat, but PA temps are pretty high in the summer (the sun just isn't quite as hot). Since we are early risers, we will take advantage of the time others are sleeping late on vacation. :cutie:

Before my DDs got older and it was not a big deal to take them out of school, we went in late May. Great weather, not too bad crowds. Then in 2006 we went in April over Spring break and the crowds were outrageous. We vowed to never do that again. Last year, we took advantage of the FD and went the 3rd week in August. Weather was hot but we don't mind. It was pretty crowded I am assuming because of the FD. We just can't decide when to go in 2011. I am not necessarily opposed to taking the kids out of school, but with 1 DD in college and 1 DD a junior in high school and 1 DS in kindergarten its hard to find a good time. Between sports, dance classes, exams, proms, etc. Well, you get the picture... I guess I could have worse thing to worry about! ;)

Kelly, I understand. We were there the week before you in 2008. I am a teacher and started back to school the day after we returned. Luckily, it was only inservice so I still had a week to prepare for the students' return.

I am hoping we can go in the winters for long weekends (our summer trips will be shorter). My DH can't take off when my girls and I have breaks from school (excerpt for summer). Right now, it doesn't worry me to pull my girls from school for three days (I can't miss more time). They are both doing well and missing elementary school wouldn't impact their education. As they get older, or if they begin to face any difficulty, I certainly will encounter what you are experiencing.

As a high school English teacher, I am very frustrated when some students miss a week or more of class. Then, there are the kids who can afford to miss. I don't mind at all. I do think timing factors in also.

Thank you for the breakdown of Innovations. We have walked through the buildings but have never really stopped to explore the exhibits. We do always go to Club Station Cool. Which is a lot of fun and a great place to cool off. We were talking about doing the Visa picture this year.

That was a great description of Innoventions! We never spend enouh time in here, and it really is a great place to get out of the heat. My kids did the recycle activity last summer and loved it. I would love to do the hurricane!

I am hoping this summer to see more of it!

Great Epcot pictures! Every time I try to explore Innoventions, I get too overwhelmed and end up leaving without doing anything. Maybe next time.....

Thank you for the breakdown of Innovations. We have walked through the buildings but have never really stopped to explore the exhibits. We do always go to Club Station Cool. Which is a lot of fun and a great place to cool off. We were talking about doing the Visa picture this year.

Shelley, Now, you can select high points and stop to explore that of interest to your party...The 16 of you would certainly each find something! One stop shopping, if you will. :rotfl:

That was a great description of Innoventions! We never spend enouh time in here, and it really is a great place to get out of the heat. My kids did the recycle activity last summer and loved it. I would love to do the hurricane!

I am hoping this summer to see more of it!

We walked through and only saw an empty velcro stop and the segways. The kids tried some type of musical instruments in a cage :confused3 I couldn't figure it out.

Great Epcot pictures! Every time I try to explore Innoventions, I get too overwhelmed and end up leaving without doing anything. Maybe next time.....

I think that was what happened to me last time. Completely overwhelmed!

Now, Nikki, with all those crazy expressions in pictures, you need to be more adventurous! Doesn't Aloha Isle have other flavors besides pineapple? Also, you should select and try three things in Innoventions. (I can tease back right?:flower3:)

P.S. - I went back and fix my Innovations - to read correctly as Innoventions. I thank all of you for just writing it correctly in your responses. In the future, I give each of you permission to correct me. :thumbsup2

So, while I was learning about INNOVENTIONS, I checked out some other useful spots for my family to check out.

Seas with Nemo and Friends Pavilion (Living Seas Pavilion)
Saltwater Aquarium
+Fish feeding - times listed (subject to change) 10, 1 and 3
+Dolphin training (who knew? makes me feel better about not going to Sea World this trip) (subject to change) 10:45, 2:15 and 4:15

Water Play Areas (My girls are a little older but in the heat...)
+Cool Wash by Test Track
+Leap Fountain by Honey, I ...
+Main Walk from Future to World Showcase near Mission Space

Talking Water Fountains (Can't confirm that they still talk- anyone know?)
+Next to Mouse Gear
+Next to Fountain on Walkway
+Behind Innoventions West by bathrooms

I don't think I mentioned Kim Possible. You pick up your "ticket" at Innoventions in order to participate in your adventure!

I saw the cool wash for the first time on our last trip. It was pretty neat. You have a great list. I love how you are including so many ideas. I am going to make a list so I don't forget.:thumbsup2

My kids are teenagers and still like to get in the Cool Wash ;) I don't think you are ever too old for a "sprinkler" when its hot!! I have to admit that I have never spent time in Innoventions. In 2009 we went in for our free photo and that is it. Next time we will have to spend some more time in there.

I have to confess: I am not enjoying the day by day planning. I think I want to go more with what the family wants to do. I still will have a touring plan when we go to parks. (We will not be those people standing in the middle of Main St. saying where should we start, or those people who are angry about a 90 min wait for Peter Pan. You have to ensure that you do hit certain rides first.) Confession over.

Day 3 - Animal Kingdom early magic hour

Looking forward to the rope drop ceremony with Mickey and the gang going on an adventure... We saw this last year, but my point and shoot did not get very good pics. I plan on having the telelens on the SLR to get better shots.

Since we did a late night here on Day 1 - not sure about course of action...let's try this:

Expedition Everest (2 X)?
Grab Kali fp
Kilimanjaro Safari - excited to take pics with the SLR!
Dinoland to hit Primeval Whirl - this ride must load slowly bc wait times seem to be longer than other attractions...

Scheduled events I want to fit it...
Jammin Jungle Parade (probably have to hit this a different day though.)
Flights of Wonder

I also want to wander the paths a bit more. We will certainly be looking for Miss Devine.

I have to confess: I am not enjoying the day by day planning. I think I want to go more with what the family wants to do. I still will have a touring plan when we go to parks. (We will not be those people standing in the middle of Main St. saying where should we start, or those people who are angry about a 90 min wait for Peter Pan. You have to ensure that you do hit certain rides first.) Confession over.

Day 3 - Animal Kingdom early magic hour

Looking forward to the rope drop ceremony with Mickey and the gang going on an adventure... We saw this last year, but my point and shoot did not get very good pics. I plan on having the telelens on the SLR to get better shots.

Since we did a late night here on Day 1 - not sure about course of action...let's try this:

Expedition Everest (2 X)?
Grab Kali fp
Kilimanjaro Safari - excited to take pics with the SLR!
Dinoland to hit Primeval Whirl - this ride must load slowly bc wait times seem to be longer than other attractions...

Scheduled events I want to fit it...
Jammin Jungle Parade (probably have to hit this a different day though.)
Flights of Wonder

I also want to wander the paths a bit more. We will certainly be looking for Miss Devine.

All the times we have been to AK (our favorite park) and we have never seen Ms. Devine. I am going to seriously search for her her next time! Love your AK ride choices, all of our favorites. Don't forget about FotLK! Best show in the World IMHO.

We do not usually plan day by day, that is one reason I have such a hard time with ADRs!!

As for DeVine.....she is so cool! There is a site that gives updated times of her appearances, I think it is updated every Saturday - here is the link, there are also pictures of her on there. We were able to see her during the times listed.

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/

Thanks Wendy; I am familiar with site, but didn't realize that it gave info about Miss Devine! I plan all of our ADRs around EMH. I think because we have ten days, I am less worried about making sure we fit the priorities in. I am interested in doing bus roulette one day though. My DH isn't very interested in that. He prefers that I have a schedule. ;) I am lucky that my planning OCD doesn't grate him.

Kelly, did you see the link from Wendy. Great info if you aren't familiar. :surfweb:

I'm with you on that! On our first trip together in 2006, I planned down to the ride and that lasted...oh about 2 minutes when we decided we were going to eat before we did anything and then catch the Country Bear Jamborie before watching the afternoon parade...NONE of which was in THE PLAN! Of course, we still did everything we wanted to do.

Now, I just plan my ADRs and which parks we want to be at. I might make a list of things that I want to make sure we hit but from there, it's flexible! :thumbsup2

Off topic post-

My mom called this morning to see if the girls and I are interested in going to the beach with the family again this year. (Each year, dds and I get to join my SIL and brother, older brother and parents for a vaca. DH doesn't often get to join bc of his work schedule. I give my mom money for the rental - she ends up paying for all of our food. So, I completely win.) This is a dinner last year -I am on my dad's side near the window - no sunglasses.

familyatbeach.jpg

She is looking at Aug. I am trying to push June (how great would that be to go to the beach to countdown days to Disney!!!) My dad starts chemo next Tues. and she is going to see how he responds to it. Aside from my desire to count down June, I think that maybe my dad will be better in June than Aug. He is so weak and doesn't eat very much. (Since Nov., prior to his diagnosis, he has lost probably 60 pounds. He was overweight to begin with, but is now too thin.) We hopefully will have some info when he starts chemo bc he will have a PET scan. I would like to know if more tumors are in the liver. (The chemo is not meant to cure him - nor can it- it is simply to help him live more comfortably.)

So, when I told my mom June might be better for my dad, my dad yelled in the background that it will be too cold. Really, this man drives me nuts some times. Too cold? Two weeks ago, we had temps in the 90s. I imagine end of June will be 90's. I think he is speaking more about the water (which I only go in if I am sweating to death...) My dad, who loves the ocean, with my girls...I think I have this shot nearly every year since they were toddlers.:sad1:

dadandgirlsocean2009.jpg

As much of a control freak as I am, I have had to give much over to the cancer. I hate not knowing how long we have my dad, but at the same time, not knowing means we probably have longer. My parents have been overly wonderful in trying to help me adapt... we planned out my dad's bday party months in advance... we usually say, how about next weekend?

Thanks for reading. I am in a holding pattern, and I think posting this is helping me through this process.

Now, to make this Disney related -

We stayed near an ice cream shop called Tubby's. It became the girls absolute favorite...It wasn't really a family-friendly place at certain munchie times of the day and night. (Let's just say Grateful Dead bears decorated the walls and were on the T-shirts.)

When we told our girls we would be going to Disney every year and maybe not the beach, they were super sad and said "but Tubby's." When we selected Beach Club - our beach place - I was excited to tell them about Beaches and Cream. I can't wait to see which they enjoy more. (Personally, the atmosphere of B&C beats out Tubby's even if the ice cream options are not as great.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter