The iPhone Collective

Favorite apps:

Shazam (we all know that one)
ESPN ScoreCenter (sports scores quick)
iheartradio (sports broadcasts)
RedLaser (shopping comparisons)
Chipotle (i need my carnitas burritos)

Ok I have a question here!
I have my iphone, and I have a netbook, but I do not have internet service at the cottage.
However I can get the internet through my iphone.
Is there a way I can use my iphone to get internet on my netbook while I am at the cottage?
Thank you

Ok I have a question here!
I have my iphone, and I have a netbook, but I do not have internet service at the cottage.
However I can get the internet through my iphone.
Is there a way I can use my iphone to get internet on my netbook while I am at the cottage?
Thank you

I assume you have a Canadian iPhone? Is it with Rogers? It looks like they do allow tethering (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/06/19/rogers-allows-iphone-tethering-in-canada-for-no-extra-charge-unt/).

The iPhone itself permits tethering (getting online through your iPhone), but AT&T has not enabled that feature and has not announced pricing for enabling it.

The iPhone itself permits tethering (getting online through your iPhone), but AT&T has not enabled that feature and has not announced pricing for enabling it.

Another perk of the jailbreak :) I've been able to tether since before it was "enabled" on the iPhone, and still can without paying our carrier's (o2) extortionate tethering pricing :)

:goodvibes

Wasn't someone asking about an app of Steve Barrett's Hidden Mickey's Guide? There is one now! It's called (aptly enough) Hidden Mickeys. It's $5.99

I assume you have a Canadian iPhone? Is it with Rogers? It looks like they do allow tethering (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/06/19/rogers-allows-iphone-tethering-in-canada-for-no-extra-charge-unt/).

Thank you, yes I have a canadian iphone through Rogers.
This is nice to know, now I just have to figure out how to tether.
Can someone post a link to the how to's if it is not to much to ask!
I don't know how much extra they will charge for this, but I am thinking it will be worth it to us.
We go to our cottage almost every weekend from May through Nov.
We have no phone (land line) or internet at the cottage.
I was a Bell customer until Sept. 09 when my contract was up.
You can't get cell service out of our cottage unless you are a Rogers customer. So for that reason I switched.
Now I have an iphone! :woohoo::woohoo::banana:
I am having alot of fun learning about my iphone.
I am not a techy, usually when we get something new I let DH figure out everything and get him to show me the basics.
But with this I want to learn.
Thank you for helping me. :)

Thank you, yes I have a canadian iphone through Rogers.
This is nice to know, now I just have to figure out how to tether.
Can someone post a link to the how to's if it is not to much to ask!
I don't know how much extra they will charge for this, but I am thinking it will be worth it to us.
We go to our cottage almost every weekend from May through Nov.
We have no phone (land line) or internet at the cottage.
I was a Bell customer until Sept. 09 when my contract was up.
You can't get cell service out of our cottage unless you are a Rogers customer. So for that reason I switched.
Now I have an iphone! :woohoo::woohoo::banana:
I am having alot of fun learning about my iphone.
I am not a techy, usually when we get something new I let DH figure out everything and get him to show me the basics.
But with this I want to learn.
Thank you for helping me. :)

If you have a data plan of 1 gig or more tethering is free (for now anyways).

Go into settings/General/Network and turn tethering on. Plug your iphone into your laptop. Done. :-)

Be sure to turn tethering off when your not using it.

p.s., there is a chance there will be no tethering option in your menu. If thats the case you need to call rogers.

Wasn't someone asking about an app of Steve Barrett's Hidden Mickey's Guide? There is one now! It's called (aptly enough) Hidden Mickeys. It's $5.99

Has anybody tried this app out? How does it compare to the HLM Hidden Mickey app at the app store? The reviews in the app store are pretty limited. . We are going to the World in about a week and it would be fun to add some Hidden Mickey magic to the trip.

If you have a data plan of 1 gig or more tethering is free (for now anyways).

Go into settings/General/Network and turn tethering on. Plug your iphone into your laptop. Done. :-)

Be sure to turn tethering off when your not using it.

p.s., there is a chance there will be no tethering option in your menu. If thats the case you need to call rogers.

I have the new iphone 32g 3gs and yes it has a tettering button.
I found it with ease thanks to you.
Thank you! :banana::banana:

Ok, had a weird thing happen today to my iphone.. mind you i have had it less than a week -- it totally froze on me. I just hung up from a call, and went to open up an app, and it froze.. i couldn't do anything, not even shut it down! I was bummed!!
Thank goodness i was close to an AT&T store, and the woman there showed me that you have to press BOTH the power button AND the middle (home app) button thingie.. and wait for the apple symbol to appear and it will usally (usally she said...) will clear itself..

Has this happened frequently to anyone else? This was the first time it happened, but it made me a lil' upset -- i know -- it's similar to a computer, but man, all i kept thinking of, was -- "what if i break down right now, and can't make a call"...

I didn't know if this is "norm" behavior for this phone, or if it was a fluke.. Hopefully it's not the norm. I have a refurb, but i think it still has a 90 day warranty on it...
I had this same problem with my phone when we were on vacation last week in Vegas. We took our phone to the Apple store and made an appt with a Genius who asked if I had the latest version. Because I had just done an update before we left for vacation, I insisted the phone was up to date. I felt like an idiot when he checked and it was NOT the most current version. For the record, the most current version as of today is 3.1.2 and the problem with freezing (per our Genius Alex) is a known behavior with the 3.1 version, hense the update to 3.1.2. Good luck!

Okay here's a question for experienced I-phone/Pod users. Is there way to transfer all the files including tunes and apps to a new computer ? I just upgraded my desktop and now Im afraid I'm gonna loose all the apps I bought. Any advise is appreciated.

Okay here's a question for experienced I-phone/Pod users. Is there way to transfer all the files including tunes and apps to a new computer ? I just upgraded my desktop and now Im afraid I'm gonna loose all the apps I bought. Any advise is appreciated.

Your iTunes library is in the MUSIC folder (at least on a PC; not sure about Macs).

Install iTunes on the new computer and let it create the iTunes folder in the MUSIC folder.

Close iTunes.

Now, copy the contents of the MUSIC folder from the old computer to the new computer.

Start iTunes on the new computer and everything you had on the old computer should be on the new computer.

I've done this once when upgrading a computer and it worked as expected.

I'd suggest using the built-in iTunes backup option. You can burn your whole library to DVD (assuming you have a DVD burner on your computer) and then restore it onto your new computer. Bonus of that method is that you also have a backup of your iTunes library.

I'd suggest using the built-in iTunes backup option. You can burn your whole library to DVD (assuming you have a DVD burner on your computer) and then restore it onto your new computer. Bonus of that method is that you also have a backup of your iTunes library.

While this method works, if you have a large iTunes library, it can take many DVDs (and even that many more CDs) and it can be sloooooww. However, it is a great, safe way to back up your iTunes library.

If you have a wireless network you can transfer the files through it. I did it that way, but it was about 2 years ago, I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am mainly worried about the Apps I have bought. I already had one problem when I messed up and let my Ipod sync with my laptop. I lost most of my apps and had to download them again. Now I have twice as many and am worried about loosing them in the pc upgrade.

I have a friend that will loan me her portable hard drive so I may try that way first and then consider the DVD route if needed.

Check out the new Skinit I got for my iPhone!

IMG_0180.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter