The infamous POFQ Beignets

I had the GFDF ones last year, they were very good! But, I'm not sure about exactly what other allergens are in them.

I will absolutely be going out of my way for these at least once during our upcoming trip a DF goodie that isn't the packaged cookies will be such a treat! :woohoo:

Does anyone know how they compare to the ones served IN the parks at DLR (not the ones at the Jazz Kitchen, which I think use Cafe du Monde batter, but the ones served at the take-out window in DL's New Orlean's Square?). We ate the (Mickey shaped!) ones at DL EVERY DAY with our coffee so maybe it is well worth the trek to enjoy these in FL!

We like them and eat them when we have dinner at POFQ, but I would never go there just for them. They are good, not great. They taste like an air filled version of a zeppole, but because they are filled with air there is nothing to them. All three in a serving wouldn't amount to a single zeppole for substance.

Now I'm gonna have to make a trip over to the French Quarter this weekend. Love me some Café Du Monde. Nothing like the smell of the the Miss River or Bourbon Street early in the morning while enjoying a good cup of coffee with beignets. :cool1::cool1:

Are you saying the beignets are well known for some bad quality or deed? That they are wicked; abominable???

Sorry I had to tease you (in a friendly way!). The Three Amigos always pops into my head when people use infamous. OP you've brought a smile to my face as I love that move :)

As for the beignets, we enjoy them :)

Now I'm gonna have to make a trip over to the French Quarter this weekend. Love me some Café Du Monde. Nothing like the smell of the the Miss River or Bourbon Street early in the morning while enjoying a good cup of coffee with beignets. :cool1::cool1:

I agree! We were there last month and spent a few lovely mornings with coffee and beignets.

really enjoyed them last fall. 1 snack credit on the DDP and my sister and I shared the 3 for our breakfast. :)

My daughter and I did that last year and I'm looking forward to having them for breakfast again on Tuesday. Up early due to jet lag so first in the queue and often get more than three at 7.00 while they get them started!

We found that you have to order them when you are ready to eat them. Yes it takes awhile, but don't order them along with your meal. Let the fastest eater doing and go order them so they are ready to be eaten when you are ready for ten. Every thirty seconds they sit makes them worse and worse. Eat them fresh and they are tastiest.

I ate these as my breakfast and they were made to order for me. In fact, I waited a minute for them to cool before I could eat them. As I said before... just fried dough. Nothing out of the ordinary. Someone enlighten me :confused3

As I said before... just fried dough. Nothing out of the ordinary. Someone enlighten me :confused3

Well, ultimately, that's exactly what beignets are. Fried (sweet) dough with powdered sugar all over them. Same could be said for Cafe du Monde, and the various versions out at Disneyland (beignets at the Jazz Kitchen, mickey shaped beignets inside the park, and fritters at RSVeranda). I like them all (except those at Jazz Kitchen), but they are simply fried sweet dough. :)

Everyone's tastes are different:) We liked them, thought they were more like a hollow donut than a fried dough. I wanted to try them with a scoop of ice cream, lol, but never did.

For sure everyone's tastes are different. I guess I just didn't get why everyone goes head over heels for them when you can get fried dough in your hometown, and even other areas of the parks.

Growing up in the land of sopapillas and frybread, I will say that the appeal of beignets is that they are a more tender airier dough. Funnel cakes tend to be a little dense, sopaillas are made of tortillas and so have a tougher bite, Indian fry bread tends to have a crispier more caramelized skin, etc.

I am not a fan of powder sugar so my favorite is Indian fry bread which is served with honey, but for a change of texture beignets are a treat.

We like them and eat them when we have dinner at POFQ, but I would never go there just for them. They are good, not great. They taste like an air filled version of a zeppole, but because they are filled with air there is nothing to them. All three in a serving wouldn't amount to a single zeppole for substance.

That was my experience - they were filled with air! And I think mine had been sitting for a little while - they were pretty "tough." I was disappointed.

In French beigne is donut so for me a beignet is a type of donut. Never had them in Disney or NOLA but I would live trying one fresh one day.

Being from about 30 miles from the Cafe du Monde in NOLA, I can say the ones at POFQ are OK, but not great. Have eaten them there a few times and if the oil is not quite the correct temp, the beignets come out heavy and chewy.
They won't 'poof' enough (is that a word LOL). They are supposed to be light and airy (pillows).

They are actually the best getting them at Cafe du Monde because they sell out so fast they can be nothing but fresh! Also eating them while drinking some fresh Cafe au lait (french coffee with chicory, and hot milk). Normally, I hate the coffee with chicory, but there it just seems 'right'!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter