The "I Didn't Have To Cook For 8 Days" DDP review ... 10/13 - 10/20

Great TR. By the way on the Barq's root beer. I read a month or so ago that they took the Caffeine out of that drink. just a FYI.:)

You might want to check the bottle. I think it depends on where it's bottled. The one I have sitting in front of me does have caffeine in it..Which really bites because I can't drink it. Grumpy got me the wrong one...

I'm really enjoying your dining reviews. We'll be eating at a few of the same places next month. I think I may cancel CRT in favor of Kona before our P&P party. That Tuna Oscar looks fabulous

Kona Café.

For our entrées, we decided to share the Tuna Oscar

215999397-M.jpg

Did you by chance ask for the recipe for the Tuna Oscar. We were there last week and I neglected to do so. Duh. But it was one of my two favourite meals, so now I'm trying to track it down.

Mine looked amazingly like yours. :-)

tuna-oscar-kona-cafe.jpg

Becky

Did you by chance ask for the recipe for the Tuna Oscar. We were there last week and I neglected to do so. Duh. But it was one of my two favourite meals, so now I'm trying to track it down.

Mine looked amazingly like yours. :-)

tuna-oscar-kona-cafe.jpg

Becky

Yum Tuna Oscar! No, I forgot to ask for it, but I was planning on sending our server a much-belated Christmas card (you can see that I'm really on top of things here!) and I'll ask for it then. I'll be sure to post it when I get it.

So, what was your second favorite meal?

Now that we're back from our Christmas trip to Vermont I'll be working on my trip reports again. Hopefully I'll have the next installment up within a few days...

:dance3: Happy New Year, everyone! :dance3:

I had absolutely no idea where we would eat lunch at the Magic Kingdom, so I studied up on all of the menus and decided we could find something good no matter where we happened to be. It ended up that we ate a Columbia Harbor House, which always gets good reviews on the DIS. Here is the outside corner of the building:

(I took these photos after we left the Little Ones Extra Magic Hours in Fantasyland earlier in the day – that’s why no one’s there!)

227404299-M.jpg

The only problem was that it was 12:30 – the height of the lunch rush. :scared1: Yikes! I didn’t want to eat this late, but circumstances made it impossible to eat any sooner and we were just too hungry to eat later on. We entered through the door closest to our exit from Country Bear Jamboree (oh, how I miss this show at Disneyland!), and were amazed at just how many people were packed into the space. Definitely a wowza.

But this is the door where we entered.

215525151-M.jpg

We somehow made it through the crowd to the far left ordering line, which had the shortest line – about 20 people. And to make matters worse, we had two very cranky kids in tow, who wanted to eat NOW. Sweetie Girl was at the antithesis of her nickname, doing the pouting routine that she is so very famous for. This routine includes plopping down on the floor wherever she happens to be, arms crossed and not speaking a word to anyone or moving from her designated drop zone. It is not something that you really want to happen in a place that is literally packed wall-to-wall with people.

Knowing all about the controversy surrounding saving tables at CS places that I’ve read about on the DIS, Handsome & I made the executive decision that it was much more appropriate for us to plop the kids down at a table rather than have Sweetie Girl lying down underfoot and Buddy Boy doing his Tigger imitation (bouncy, pouncy, flouncy, trouncy – you get the idea) in the food line with us. I dragged them upstairs with me and was lucky enough to find an open table. I left them there with Mick (Pal Mickey) to baby-sit them and prayed that they wouldn’t start to fight while we were away in line. I made sure to go and check up on them every 5 minutes to ensure they were still in one piece.

The nice thing about CCH was that they had laminated menus that were passed along the people standing in line so you could figure out what you wanted to eat before getting to the ordering station. There was no way you could see the menu above the serving counter from the end of the line, which happened to be almost at the back wall. I have no idea if they do this at any other CS places, but this day it was a lifesaver. Everyone knew what they wanted to eat by the time they needed to order, and the CM taking the orders in our line was fast and efficient, all while being calm, cool & collected. Quite a fete considering there were many cranky-hungry people in the place.

I started doing the math: 20 (or more!) people in line + 2 unattended kids upstairs saving a table = a disaster waiting to happen. Yet amazingly enough, we had stood in line, ordered and received our food in about 20 minutes. I was very impressed!

It was a good thing that I waited in line with Handsome because there was no way he could’ve carried all of the food upstairs with him in one trip. Here’s what we ordered:

Handsome ordered the Vegetarian Chili & Starboard Deck Sandwich combo - ham with tomatoes, broccoli slaw and cheese …

215525421-M.jpg

… along with a large bottled water to drink later & apple crisp.
215525494-M.jpg

The chili was good, definitely made for any taste. It wasn’t spicy enough to keep away those who like it mild, yet not mild enough for those who like it spicy. The sandwich was good, too, especially with the broccoli slaw in it. I didn’t get a good shot of it. (By now I was getting to the point of not wanting to take photos of our food. :guilty:) It was a nice twist on an old favorite. I don’t think that I’d add it to a sandwich on purpose, but it was nice. It’s kinda like putting cole slaw on your pulled pork sandwich, I guess.

CCH only had two dessert choices here on the DDP – apple crisp and chocolate cake. I had also read a lot of negative comments on the apple crisp, but we got one anyway just so we wouldn’t be eating chocolate cake all of the time (I can’t believe that I actually said that!!). It really wasn’t that bad. Yes, the crust was a bit soggy, but it wasn’t foul in any way. Would I go out of my way to eat one? Definitely not. But since it was included in the DDP, we didn’t complain and gobbled it up.

I ordered the clam chowder & Anchors Aweigh Sandwich combo - white tuna with lettuce and tomato, a large Fanta & chocolate cake.

215525306-L-1.jpg

This meal was nothing to write home about, which means it was nothing special. It was good basic fare. I got the tuna sandwich since I know Sweetie Girl would eat a good portion of it, which she did. She does love her tuna fish sandwiches.

The clam chowder is the same here as it is at Disneyland. Don't get me wrong - it was very good, but I've had better chowder elsewhere, like the Dungeness Crab and Corn Chowder at the Blue Mermaid Chowder House & Bar in San Francisco. Again, that's a whole 'nother story...

Now, the bowls of soup were huge! Remember this if you are coming here not being too hungry. If we weren’t on the DDP, we would’ve most likely split one of these meals. I had a hard time finishing mine.

Sweetie Girl ordered the Kid’s meal tossed salad with chicken, applesauce, carrots, chocolate chip cookie & apple juice.

215525348-M.jpg

Her choice really surprised us since she does not eat salad at all – which means anything you would put into a salad. There wasn’t much in the way of chicken on it, but it was enough for her to eat. I also liked that it was grilled and not fried chicken.

I ended up eating most of Sweetie Girl’s salad since I was in the mood for some veggies. She actually took a bite or two of the salad, amazingly enough. One of her best friends is a vegetarian, and I think that she’s having a bit of an influence on her!

Buddy Boy ordered the mac ’n’ cheese Kid’s meal, with applesauce, chocolate pudding, chocolate chip cookie & apple juice.

215525451-M-1.jpg

This was another place where the kids received two sides AND a dessert. I don’t know if it is the norm here, but basically he got two desserts this meal! We saved the cookies for them to eat later.

I don’t think that we would go out of our way to eat here again, but if we’re hungry and in the neighborhood, we’d be sure to stop in and chow down. We’re still in the mindset that we try to eat at different places when we’re at Disney World since we’re there so infrequently. We just don’t get there very often to have chosen too many favorite places yet.

Well, except for Le Cellier, Kona Café & Boma. There are exceptions to every rule. Right? :rolleyes:

Next up: Riverside Mill, POR

sounds like it is just ok. it is a toss up between here and Pinocchio Village haus. I think Pinocchio may win.

thanks for posting.

:thumbsup2

depends on crowds really.

I’m backing up a bit in the order of things since I did not review Riverside Mill first thing. It was the first place we ate at Disney World the day we arrived, and we also ate there for dinner on Friday evening. So, first you’ll read about our lunch, then the next review will be dinner. It’ll make sense after you read the two. Really! So to borrow a phrase from the Country Bear Jamboree, “Please bear with me” as I jump back and forth in time here…

Oh - I'm so funny! ... (not!) :lmao:

----------------------

The third place we visited upon arriving at Port Orleans Riverside, our home for the next week, was the Riverside Mill to get some lunch. First, we had to check in, then dump our stuff in our room. Then, we walked over to the Riverside Mill:

244758849-M.jpg

228630049-M.jpg

I had read all about what is offered here, but once I stepped inside my mind went absolutely blank. It could’ve been because after almost 10 months of planning I was actually in Walt Disney World! It seemed rather surreal. That and the fact that reading about something and actually being there are two parallel realities!

The Riverside Mill is set up with different sections: The Specialty Shop, which had sandwiches and later carved meats at dinnertime, the Pizza and Pasta Shop with pizza and make your own pasta bar,

244759089-L-1.jpg

a salad bar, the Grill Shop for burgers and fried foods, and the Bakery for the baked goods and desserts.

I get flustered real easily if I don’t know what I’m doing. So, I just entered the sandwich line with Buddy Boy since he knew what he wanted and I chose my lunch from there.

244759041-M.jpg

Buddy boy ordered the Mickey Turkey Pinwheel sandwich with applesauce, milk, and a chocolate chip cookie. He ate the whole thing after removing the lettuce. My kids have this problem with eating “salad”, which loosely translated means anything that you’d have in a salad, like lettuce. It’s green, you see. But they will eat green grapes and lime jello without any problem.

244758968-M.jpg

Not knowing just what to get, I ordered the Roast Beef and Blue Cheese Sandwich on Ciabatta with tuna pasta salad (instead of chips). It took a while for the sandwich to show up, but that was because it was custom made and heated after I placed the order. I could see the steam rising from it as they passed it over the counter to me. I was salivating already.

Next, I had to decide on what to drink. I stood at the large refrigerated cooler and just couldn't decide what to drink. It was either sweetened, had caffeine, or didn't look appetizing. So I chose a bottle of water to save for later and got a glass for water to refill over and over again at the drink station. Why use the good water when it’s only going to be guzzled down, and when I can save it for a trip to a park?

The last decision was what to have for dessert. Once again I stood at the bakery counter, staring at everything they had, and nothing popped out at me. So, I decided that since I was at Disney I had to do what any normal person would do and ordered a chocolate-dipped Mickey rice krispy treat cookie. You can never go wrong with that!

Here's the final result:

244759191-L-1.jpg

Now, I love roast beef, especially roast beef sandwiches. Ditto for blue cheese. Put the two together, warm it up, and you have a winning combination. When they served this to me, it was steaming hot! That’s the way to get a sandwich. It was so very yummy. I know that I could make this for myself at home, but I haven't remembered to yet. My poor brain! I never ate the pasta salad. I was so full by the time we ate the rest of our lunch that I brought it back to the room to eat later. I don't think we ever got around to eating it, though. There was just so much to eat that week that we never once even thought about being hungry. The Mickey rice treat also was saved for later.

Sweetie Girl ordered the Pasta with Marinara Sauce with milk, applesauce and carrots. She loves her carrots. We saved them for a snack for another time. She wasn't too hungry, so Buddy Boy finished off what she didn't eat.

244759196-M.jpg

Handsome ordered the make your own pasta with garlic bread. He had it made with linguini, pesto sauce, pine nuts, spinach, shrimp, peas, parmesan cheese, spinach, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes. He left out the broccoli, onions & olives.

He let the kids choose his dessert, so they picked out the sugar cookie with Mickey sprinkles on top. For a drink he got Green tea Iced Tea, but it was so laced with high fructose corn syrup for sweeter that he really didn’t enjoy it after a while.

244759283-L-1.jpg

Now, this pasta is easily enough for two people to share and d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! Once again I told myself that I could easily make this at home! Why not? It's just boiling pasta, draining it, adding pesto (which I make and freeze in huge batches from Farmer's Market basil), and opening a jar and a bag or two of stuff to toss in. But, you guessed it. I still haven't done it. There's definitely something wrong with me.

Handsome and I shared our meals with each other and had half the sandwich left when we were full, which he ate the next morning for breakfast. I think that I ate more of the pasta than he did - I loved it that much. We gave the garlic bread to Buddy Boy to eat and he gobbled it down as fast as he ate the rest of his meal. It was good stuff.

The kids wanted to sit near the water wheel works, so that’s where we went.

244758918-L-1.jpg

It was also precariously close to the kid’s area, which had a TV spouting Disney cartoons. This became a real distraction to my square-eyed boy. Just something to keep in mind if you eat there.

Over all, it was a grand entry into the delectable world of Disney dining. We knew that we would be eating here again, and we were thrilled to know it, too.

The only disappointment was that they no longer make pralines here, something that I have heard about from AllEarsNet. Oh well.

Next : Dinner at Riverside Mill.

That beef and blue cheese sandwich really appeals to me - you can't beat a hot sandwich :thumbsup2 Looking forward to seeing what was for dinner :)

Love your dining review ! Heading over to read the trippie now . . . .

Love the way your kids call your hotel "home" - my kids started doing that when they were very little, (still do it today! ), and they always felt the need to explain to me at the beginning of any trip that they meant their "vacation home" and not "home, home", lol. Just in case I had any ideas about putting them on a plane and sending them home. . . . .

Keep it coming !

I just found your reviews and I've read through the whole thing. I am really enjoying all of the pictures & details. Thanks for taking the time to post! :)

Is it weird I love the pictures of Riverside Mill? That always says "home" at WDW to me-I wanted to see it post re-furb but never got the chance.

Wow. . you report is VERY HELPFUL. . .I too am taking 2 kids. . my son 6 and little brother who's 8

This is GREAT!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

i just spent the last 7 days eating there. I love the green tea. the food was really good I thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter