The Hunger Games Book....need advice.

leagirl12

DIS Veteran
My 12 yo DS just finished the Percy Jackson series and wants to read this book series. I read the back of the book and it has me a little concerned. Not sure if I should let him read it or not. So I thought I would come find out from you guys if this is a book that is appropriate for a 12yo.

Any thoughts???

My 11 year old son read. Made me go get the second one as soon as it came out.

The girl thinks she has feelings for a boy and she does kiss another one, but there is never anything graphic or inappropriate.

There is killing. And it is a bit disturbing that people willingly let their children go to die, but it is not as bad at the Roman colosseum spectacles.

I read both books before I would let my son read them. I usually do when there might be questions he will want answered.

My 11 year old son read. Made me go get the second one as soon as it came out.

The girl thinks she has feelings for a boy and she does kiss another one, but there is never anything graphic or inappropriate.

There is killing. And it is a bit disturbing that people willingly let their children go to die, but it is not as bad at the Roman colosseum spectacles.

I read both books before I would let my son read them. I usually do when there might be questions he will want answered.

What she said. :) The children killing other children was a bit disturbing. They (I've read the 2nd book, as well) were good books. I am VERY conservative, but wouldn't have a problem with a 12 year old reading these.

Almost every 11, 12 and older kid I know has read The Hunger Games, Catching Fire (the sequal) and eagerly awaiting the third in the series. I've read them as well and they are good. No more disturbing than many other fantasy books written for the tween/young teenage crowd.

If you are really concerned, you might want to read them ahead of time yourself, I'm sure you would really enjoy them and find them appropriate for this age level.

Her review is as follows: The main character is a girl and the book is in first person from her point of view. It is a suspenseful and romantic (only a little) story. To read the back cover, it does freak you out. However, she read the first and we got the second and she read it in less than a week. The third and final book will not be out until AUGUST...she is desperately waiting.

As a side note, her Language Arts teacher says that the movie in the works is vying for none other than Johnny Depp to play Haymitch. She said that this fits once you know who Haymitch is. Who knows.

I probably would have never picked this book for my daughter, however, she made this choice on her own and she realizes this is PURE fiction. She said that Suzanne Collins is an excellent writer.

Good luck in your decision.

I highly recommend this series of books for your 12 year old. If you are not sure if it is right for your son, I encourage you to read it. I teach 6th grade Reading and all of my students who have read it, love the book.

Suzanne Collins also wrote another series of books the kids really like. the first book in that series is called Gregor the Overlander.

Enjoy reading!

DD read them and so did I. I would let her read it. Great books (both of them)!

I am a children's librarian and I recently read the Hunger Games. It would be OK for a 12 year old, if it sounds like something your child would like. I thought it was llike "Surviror meets the Olympics" (since the kids are in teams representing their districts), but with the losers dying! I read the book very quickly, since I wanted to know what happens!

Nothing too graphic happens - there are killings, but the descriptions aren't over-the-top gory. My biggest issue was the romance/dating thing. The book was filled with "we have to pretend we love eachother, but we don't, but we really do" stuff. If your kid isn't into boy-liking-girl stuff, the book may have parts that drag. I liked the action parts, but the teen romance stuff just isn't my cup of tea at my age lol.

I can't imagine Johnny Depp as Haymitch! :eek: I thought Haymitch was much older.

Thanks to everyone for responding. Based on all of your feedback I think I am going to let him read it. It doesn't seem like my type of book but I think I will skim through it just so I am up on what he is reading. I think the back mentioning all of the killing I took it to be very gore filled...but hearing that it is not over the top on this makes me feel better.

You guys are the best!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter