The Half-and-Half Report: My Other Half Runs His 1st 1/2 Marathon! Now COMPLETED!!

Saturday, 1/6/07

6:15am Mile 1, Epcot Center Drive
Ed:

The crowd started to thin and we began to run in earnest. NY Lady and I seemed to keep a similar pace, so we ran together and talked a bit as we went along. As was mentioned earlier this was the longest race I had ever attempted, so I planned to keep an easy pace and walk through the water stops. Along the course there would be nine water stops and two food stops, so they would give me several chances to rest.

I have to hand it to Disney, they did a really great job! :thumbsup2 All along the course there was music; sometimes it was a van with energetic tunes blasting from speakers, other times it might be a high school marching band and cheerleaders! I had brought my iPod along, but I never needed it. Groups of CMs were positioned all along the route, clapping and cheering for us. :cheer2: It was especially helpful while running along the road in the dark with nothing much to look at.

6:15am Somewhere on the road...
Kathy

Goofy, Max, and I tried to remain optimistic while the taxi inched its way through the heavy traffic. :snail: The fact that the race had begun added to our concerns of not reaching the MK in time, but we reminded ourselves that it would take our runners a little while to even cross the starting line, so we passed the time by chatting about them. :chat:

Goofy’s wife was an experienced runner, but his friend (who they called WildMan) was not. In fact, Goofy was surprised that WildMan was even attempting such a long race when he had never even completed a 5K; he just ran 2 or 3 miles from time to time for exercise. He hadn’t really been training for this; he really just wanted a quick trip to WDW. (Sounds like somebody I know. :laughing: )

I told them all about how Ed was doing his first half-marathon today and that normally he likes to bike or run 5Ks. Fortunately both Ed and Goofy’s wife were in the same wave, so if we stuck together we might get to see them within reasonable distance of each other.

Eventually we arrived at the TTC and found several CMs directing people to the monorail station. We climbed the stairs with a lot of other spectators and waited on the platform for the next monorail. There were already runners passing through the TCC! :eek: That just shows you how bad the traffic was… the runners got there faster than we did! A number of spectators remained below in the viewing area and there was a lot of cheering. It was tempting to stop here, but we decided to stick to the plan and continue on toward the MK.

Because normal park transportation had not yet begun, there were special “marathon express” monorails that were only traveling between the TTC and the MK. (Another line carried monorails between the resorts and the MK and did not stop at the TTC.) Thankfully, our ride arrived quickly. We all piled on board and dutifully stood clear of the doors. It was standing room only as we glided out of the station.

We whooshed along in relative silence until someone in our car spotted runners below us. “There they are!” The entire car burst into whoops and cheers for the runners. It was actually pretty funny, considering that there was no way they could have possibly heard us! That's okay, we were now in a party mood! party:

6:45am Mile 3.5. Floridian Way, the WDW Speedway
Ed:

:goodvibes I was feeling pretty good as we ran through the home of the Richard Petty Driving Experience. I knew we were getting closer to the MK. We ran past a row of stock cars and there were some characters there. Some people stopped for pictures, but my goal was to keep running until the next water stop. Soon we entered our 2nd or 3rd water station. They were set up really well with tents and long tables on each side of the road and lots of volunteers to help. Water and Powerade were provided, as well as ClifShots (carbohydrate gel). Florida Hospital had medical station set up along the course as well. I slowed to a walk and took a cup of water in one hand and a cup of Powerade in another. It was getting lighter out and a little humid; I drank some of the Powerade and dumped the water on my head. :drinking: Then I grabbed another cup of water, thinking I might sip on it as I continued past the water station. I started to run again.

That’s when I noticed NY Lady making a face and saying, “Uggghhh!” (We were still pacing each other.) “Did you just pour Powerade over yourself?” I asked her. She nodded; she had mistaken a cup of Powerade for water! :crazy2: She squinted and blinked as the liquid ran into her eyes as she ran. I handed her my water and she was able to rinse off her face, at least, but I felt bad for her. That was going to feel pretty sticky real soon! Another 3 miles to the MK…

7:00am the Magic Kingdom
Kathy:

We arrived at the MK and made our way down the ramp and toward the entrance. It was light out now, and the sky was gray and hazy; it already felt quite muggy. It felt more like September than January! All the spectators needed to go through security first to have their bags checked. I had a small backpack with me containing my wallet, a camera, and a towel and change of clothes for Ed. Judging from the humidity, he was going to be drenched with sweat after all this, so he would need a dry shirt to change into, at least.

“Do we need park tickets?” Goofy asked suddenly. “I didn’t bring ours.” Max looked stricken at the thought of not being able to get inside to see his mom. :eek: I didn’t think so, but I had mine in my wallet, just in case.

The CMs waved us through the wheelchair entrances and, to our relief, we learned that spectators did not need tickets and did not have to go through the turnstiles. We passed through the tunnel and out the other side into Town Square. It was jam-packed!! :crowded: Music was pumping through big speakers set up along the street and the whole place was going wild to the likes of “Born to Run”, “Eye of the Tiger”, and Pink’s “I’m Comin’ Up!” On the right, runners were entering the park through the alleyway between Tony’s and the Main Street stores. The crowd cheered and waved their signs and banners.:jumping1:

Uh Oh! I was really dismayed to see that all the spectators were lined up along the left side of Main Street only. CMs only lined the right side, many waving with the big white Mickey Gloves. Ed usually likes to stay to the right during a race, so the night before I told him to look for me on the right side of Main Street! The crowd got thicker and thicker as we picked our way toward the Castle, looking for a viewing spot. It reminded me of parade time. Ah Ha! PARADE TIME!! :idea:

I turned to Goofy and Max. “Come with me!” I shouted over the music.

I led them past the Crystal Palace and over the bridge to Liberty Square. “But, they’re going the other way”, said Max, looking confused. “Trust me”, I said. “Look at the map of the course.” I took out the pocket-sized Event Guide and Schedule that I had picked up at the hotel desk at check in. “It goes through TomorrowLand, around through FantasyLand, through the Castle, and eventually into Liberty Square and FrontierLand. It won’t be crowded back there.”

Sure enough, we crossed over the bridge and the yellow traffic cones told us that the course was, indeed, passing through Liberty Square. It was very lightly populated with spectators and we had our choice of viewing spots on either side. Naturally, I suggested the right side, so we waited for a break in the runners and quickly ran across the course to the opposite side. We found ourselves a nice little spot under a tree near Sleepy Hollow. Perfect!!

Next up: Where is he??

Kathy

Hello and Happy Mother's Day to all my DisFriends! :flower3:

MDF and blue: I have a confession to make. I could have gone to WDW with Ed on our honeymoon. I had never been before. Silly me... I thought we should wait until we had kids! :rolleyes1

Jake & Crew: Romance is where you find it! :love:

ASPEN37: Thanks for the cheers; I needed to get a move on!

Averill94: Thanks for your support; I really appreciate it!

Goofster: I'm really not an overachiever... WDW is my little hobby.

Marion: You'll forgive me, won't you? I only kept you hanging for 8 hrs! :)

KidGoofy: The 5K was actually a lot of fun; I just didn't fully enjoy it because I wasn't feeling well. There were tons of families running and walking it... your family would have a really good time! :banana:

Kathy

Hello and Happy Mother's Day to all my DisFriends! :flower3:

Marion: You'll forgive me, won't you? I only kept you hanging for 8 hrs! :) Kathy

I hope you're having a fabulous Mother's Day Kathy :flower3:

I'll forgive you, but only because it is Mother's Day. You left us hanging again! :rotfl:

I do love the alternating points of view, great plot device guys! :thumbsup2

6:55am Mile 5: World Drive
Ed:

One of my biggest concerns, originally, was the pacing requirement. The half marathon need to be completed in 3.5 hours, and all runners were required to reach specific locations along the course by a designated time. If not, they would be picked up by race officials and transported to the finish. I was determined not to become one of those people! When I saw the Contemporary Resort, I was able to relax a little. I knew that I was averaging about 9 min miles, and that was a lot faster than the 16 min mile required pace. Short of collapsing and having to crawl to the finish line, I felt that with each mile I was putting more and more time “in the bank.”

By this hour, the regular WDW buses were starting to run. One of them passed us in the tunnel just before the CR and we all got gassed with exhaust fumes! :crazy: Everybody coughed and choked as we ran up and out of the tunnel. Another thing I discovered was that those entrance/exit ramps feel a whole lot steeper when you are running them!

As we entered the MK parking lot, I called you to let you know I would soon be running up Main Street. There was no answer. I remember thinking, “I hope she didn’t fall back to sleep!” :rolleyes:

It was at this point that NY Lady’s ankles were really starting to bother her. Since she still hoped to complete the full marathon the next day, she told me that she was going to slow down and walk a bit. :wave2: We wished each other good luck as she fell back, and I continued on.

We passed mile 5 just as we entered the backstage area behind Main Street. I remembered it from the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We burst into the park and onto the Town Square. Wow, that’s a lot of people! The cheering was a real boost. We made a right turn and ran up Main St. toward the Castle. I started looking for you, but I had planned to find you on the right. Everyone was on the left! We passed the hub and into TomorrowLand. Did I miss you? Grrrrr! I called again; finally you answered! Okay, you were at Liberty Square (I was kind of thinking you might try that area.) Hadn’t missed you!

Running through FantasyLand was really strange…it was so quiet. None of the rides were open and it was deserted except for a few CMs who waved at us. The crowd (and the noise) picked up again at the Castle where a huge clump of CMs were cheering and posing for pictures with several of their own that were running. :grouphug: It was a really neat feeling to run right through the Castle and see all those people cheering!

7:10am Liberty Square
Kathy:

Max and I held out our “inspirational signs” and craned our necks to see all the runners passing by. I knew Ed was wearing a royal blue shirt and black shorts, and Max said his mom was wearing a white shirt and pink shorts. So, every time someone wearing those colors appeared in the distance we started waving our signs wildly and cheering our heads off! This wasn’t too easy for me to do as my throat felt really dry from coughing all night. :sick:

Some of the nearby spectators had horns and were blowing them loudly. Drat! Why hadn't I thought of that? At home we had a whole box of noisemakers and horns from celebrating New Year’s Eve last week. Those would have been perfect! Oh well, the home-made sign and my scratchy voice would have to do!

Other people seemed to enjoy my sign, though. Several runners yelled, “Go Ed!” or “All right, Ed, wherever you are!” and things like that. :lmao: Some were very serious and focused on their running, but some of them really responded to our cheers and clapping. They waved their arms in the air and cheered right back at us! Occasionally a runner would even try to milk more cheers, calling out “Come on, people, I can’t hear you!”, to which he received an enthusiastic response!:banana:

Some runners were in costume, perhaps not as many as were at the 5K, but there were quite a few. I saw Wonder Woman and Super Girl running together, and there were lots of people wearing Mickey ears or pirate bandanas on their heads. I remember a few wearing Tinkerbell wings and a Minnie Mouse with red shorts and big white gloves! ::MinnieMo But, the most memorable was the man in the full Mr. Incredible costume, with muscles! :eek: Gosh, he must have been hot! My cotton tee shirt was beginning to stick to my back and I was just standing there! I don’t know how he did it!

Somehow over all the noise and music, I heard my cell phone ringing. It was Ed, huffing and puffing that he was in the MK right now! I told him where to look for me and hung up quickly. He was practically around the corner! I held up my sign, cleared my throat, and got ready to scream...

Kathy

7:20am Liberty Square

Kathy:

My eyes strained to pick Ed out of the current wave of runners. There were more and more of them with each passing minute (and it seemed to me that practically every man in this group was wearing a royal blue shirt!). Where was he? Did he pass me and I didn’t catch him? Where was he? The sign that I had been clutching tightly was beginning to wilt from all the handling and the humidity. I waved it over my head and shifted my weight from foot to foot in nervous anticipation. He just had to spot my sign!

GO ED!

Suddenly, I could see him! I jumped up and down and croaked out, “Eddie, over here!!” :yay: Goofy and Max cheered for him, too. I waved my banner of inspiration and he immediately caught sight of me and waved back. As he came nearer, I could see that he trying to tell me something. I bent forward to hear him over the cheering crowd and Vangelis’ theme from Chariots of Fire that was blasting overhead. I shielded my eyes to read the words he was mouthing to me. Words of gratitude. Words of appreciation. Words of love.

“Where’s the camera??” :confused3 He shouted, holding his hands up as he blazed past.

Me: :faint:

And then he was gone. Gone west, into the sunset, into FrontierLand.

7:20am Miles 6.5-8: The Magic Kingdom

Ed:

We passed through the Castle and turned right at the hub. We took the little bridge over to Liberty Square and suddenly you popped out along side, waving your sign and cheering. I was glad I hadn’t missed you after all! It gave me a real boost :goodvibes and I continued on.

We ran through FrontierLand and out the back gate just past Splash Mountain. We were backstage again. When we got to the area behind AdventureLand, there was another water and food stop (orange slices and banana pieces.) We were passing mile six, and I was still feeling pretty good. I drank a little water and poured some more over my head. Then I started running again. We left the park, crossed over a bridge and back onto Floridian Way. Wow, those entrance/exit ramps felt steep. Overall, the entire course was very flat, except for those areas. Whew! It was really getting humid out.

I fell into step with another runner and we struck up a conversation. Her name was Mel, and she was from Toronto. Toronto Mel had run marathons before and we talked for a while; it helped to pass the time. We ran past the Grand Floridian and a large spectator area was there. Then we passed a huge parking lot. In between, there were more bands and groups of high school cheerleaders shouting cheers for us. It felt good.

I was still feeling good through mile eight; trying my best to keep hydrated. I was drenched with sweat. I took out a packet of GU (carb gel) and sucked it down. ::yes:: The real work was coming up soon.

7:40am Liberty Square

Kathy:

Now, we turned our attention to spotting Max’s mom. We didn’t have too long to wait. She came over the bridge and cried out for joy when she saw her little support team of two (well, three if you counted me!) She stopped to hug them :hug: and took a little drink of water. “Where’s WildMan?” Goofy asked. “I lost him a little while back”, she replied, “but he should be along soon.” Goofy and Max introduced me and credited me for finding the great viewing spot. No time for chatter, though, she was soon on her way and the next question was whether the guys were going to wait to see WildMan or push on with me to the finish line at Epcot. :confused:

I felt that we had developed a bit of kinship, so I was happy to wait a bit more for them to see if their friend had made it so far. Goofy sounded doubtful. Max, however, was filled with the optimism of youth and took out the Sharpie sign he had made for WildMan. I felt such a sense of relief now that I knew that Ed had seen me (and I could finally put down that stupid sign!) :rolleyes: I had no idea who we were looking for, so I just enjoyed watching all the runners. They really did come in all ages, shapes and sizes. A couple of wheelchair racers drew extra cheers of admiration from the crowd. I clapped my hands until they stung (now that my voice was practically useless.)

Then, along came the Wild Man, panting and sweating up a storm, but thrilled beyond belief to see Goofy and Max. With his long hair and beard, he reminded me of a slightly heavier version of the late Jim Henson. :hippie: “Yeah! Yeah!” he shouted at his friends as he trotted past, arms held high and fists pumping. “I don’t believe it”, said Goofy, as we gathered up our things.

We had enjoyed a really prime viewing area, but now we were faced with a bit of a dilemma. We needed to cross back over the course in order to exit the area, and the volume of runners was thick and heavy now. It took a while for a break in the traffic to appear, and when it did, we sprinted across. We edged our way out along crowded Main Street, out the park exit, and over to the monorail station.

Next Up: The Big Finish at Epcot (w/Pics! Pics! Pics!)

Kathy

Thanks for posting this! DH is running the half in '08, then Boston a few months later :-) He's celebrating turning 40 in '08 :cheer2: :yay:

7:45am: Miles 8.5-11: Floridian Way/World Drive

Ed:

We made it past the huge MK parking lot and were now running past the WDW Speedway. I could see some runners/walkers in the distance to my left who were just entering the Speedway area on the opposite side. Toronto Mel and I were still pacing with each other. We had just passed mile eight and they were just reaching mile three! (The elite runners had already crossed the finish line by now.) Uh oh. There was Security, putting up barricades and closing down the course behind them. For some the race was over, right now.

We bore right onto World Drive and continued on our way back to Epcot. Positioned along the road were more parked vans with music blaring from huge speakers and small groups of people who cheered us on and encouraged us to “ keep going”, we were “almost there!” It felt as though that particular stretch of road went on forever.

Now we were approaching mile ten. There was a huge, curved exit ramp that circled around like a big jug handle. It was really steep and pitched to the right; I felt like I was going to fall in the ditch any minute! Then I began to feel a cramp starting up in my left calf. I took one of the Clif Shots that I had picked up along the way. It was “apple-pie” flavor and it wasn’t what I was used to. I regretted it soon because now I was feeling queasy in the stomach. :rolleyes2 At mile eleven, the cramp really hit me and I was glad that a water stop gave me an excuse to slow down to a walk. I wished Toronto Mel good luck and she continued on while I hobbled along the edge of the road. This was not good.

7:50am: En Route to Epcot/the Finish Line

Kathy:

Goofy, Max, and I stood on the monorail platform with a large crowd and waited for the next monorail to the TTC. We were all still pumped up from seeing our runners and were anxious to make it over to the finish line. We had a crowded but uneventful ride to the TTC, a modest wait for our transfer, and then another unremarkable ride to Epcot. Once again, we all cheered as we spotted the runners weaving in and out of our sight below us.

We reached Epcot and everyone poured out and down to the bottom of the platform. Helpful CMs directed spectators toward the Imagine parking lot and park guests toward the entrance. We followed the crowd (and the sound of a live band) quite some distance to the bleachers surrounding the Finish Line. It was fenced off and it was mobbed. :crowded: Most of this part was the VIP viewing area. A huge screen was set up and we could just catch sight of the very top of it. As runners crossed the line, their names were announced overhead and the VIPs cheered. Nothing much we could see here. :confused3

We moved further up the course and could see runners approaching the finish beyond the crowd, but the spectators were lined up along a fence about 3 or 4 thick, and the course was about 200 yards further from that, so we couldn’t see much. I was sorry that I had missed the opportunity to purchase a VIP spot a few months ago. By the time I had thought about it, they were already sold out. :rolleyes:

We walked all the way up the line until we hit a wall; it was the edge of the park. There was nowhere left to go. So, we backtracked a bit until we found the thinnest part of the crowd and we just took up position in the back. Not bad, really, only about a hundred yards from the finish. We checked the time. If they were keeping their paces our runners would be along shortly, so we all kept a sharp eye out.

After a time, people in the front would spot their runners, cheer wildly, then move away from the fence and walk toward the family reunion area. The next group would then move up to the fence, and so on, just like rows of sharks’ teeth. We did our best to put Max where he could get the best view, but it was tough because of his height (or lack thereof). A family in front was kind enough to let him stand right at the fence with their kids, which was nice. Very Disney-like! pixiedust:

Now, Ed had no idea where to look for me, so I wanted to keep waving my sign. But he had also made a big deal about the fact that I didn’t take a picture of him running through the MK, so I wanted to have my camera focused and ready. I was really thirsty, so I quickly guzzled down some water and stuffed the bottle back in my bag. I was afraid that if I moved from one spot that he would suddenly appear and I would miss the shot. With my sign in one hand and my camera in the other, I kept my eyes riveted on the bend in the road, watching and waiting for him to come down the stretch. Aaagghh! The tension! :eek: The suspense!! :eek:

8:05am: Miles 11-12: Epcot Center Drive

Ed:

Spaceship Earth loomed closer, but it didn’t help. The cramp in my leg was killing me and I limped along for about a mile. I was tired and hot and drenched with sweat. I got to the marker for mile twelve and could hear the music and cheering coming from Epcot. It meant that I was close to the end! I said, “_____this! I’ll be_____ if I’m going to walk across that finish line”, and I began to run again. Interestingly, even though my leg was sore, I didn’t feel too bad now. If I could make it for 12 miles, then I could hang on for one more! ::yes::

We turned onto the entrance ramp into Epcot…a man was down on the ground! Everyone stopped to help and some were calling for the race officials. Incredibly, the guy got up and waved us off, determined to finish the race. It was really inspiring. We all began running again and soon we were in the backstage area of FutureWorld.

8:17am: The Finish Line

Kathy:

:cheer2: Goofy and Max began to cheer wildly as Max’s mom passed in front of us and waved before heading toward the finish line. Father and son gathered up their things and we all began to say our goodbyes. I felt so fortunate to have met up with such a nice family and to have been able to share the excitement of the race with them. I was starting to wonder about Ed, though. :worried: Hadn’t he come through the MK ahead of Mrs.Goofy?

“Don’t worry. Maybe he just got tired and quit”, offered Max. “Maybe he’s hanging out with WildMan! They both laughed. I could see they held little hope of seeing their friend cross the line.

I shook my head.

“You don’t know my husband,” I said. ::cop: “He won’t quit. He’ll cross that finish line even if he has to crawl the last mile to do it.” And I wasn’t exaggerating; I knew that it was true. (I was just hoping that he didn’t have to!)

The guys took off for the family reunion area and I trained my eyes once more on that bend in the road.

... GO ED.

8:13am: Miles 12-13.1: Epcot/the Finish Line

Ed:

We entered a side gate into FW and came out somewhere on the west side of the plaza under Spaceship Earth. We turned right and ran past the Fountain of Nations. There were CMs everywhere, clapping and cheering for us. :woohoo:

We ran under the archway toward the World Showcase Lagoon, made a U-turn around the Christmas tree at Showcase Plaza, then back around once more toward FW. We bore right at the fountain and ran past Spaceship Earth again. The course turned out a side gate into a wooded area and then into the parking lot. The end was near!

half2.jpg

8:25am: The Finish Line
Kathy:

Is that…..is that him?? Ed! Ed! Eddie!! Over Here!!

Ed:

Only a hundred more yards to go. I could see the Finish!!

half2001.jpg

And then, I saw you!

IMGP0883.jpg

I was just dying to hit that mark!!

There were actually two sets of timing pads that worked with the chip system. The first was right in front of the grandstand. When I hit it, my name and number popped up and the announcer announced my name and where I was from! It was an awesome feeling to hear that in front of all those people, and it made me want to sprint to the finish line!

And I did! :cool1: Time for my first half marathon: 2:23:55

half2002.jpg

A live band was playing and Lilo and Stitch were there to give us all high-fives. There may have been other characters, but I don’t remember. Everyone slowed to a walk as we made our way down into various corrals. We were given a mylar blanket and then the time chips were removed from our shoes. There were racks on either side of us with poles jutting out and hundreds of Donald medals were hanging from the poles. At the end of each pole was a CM. We each waited for a turn and stepped up to have the medal hung over our head and to be given a hearty “Congratulations!”

They kept us moving through the food and beverage areas and then onward to stand on one of several lines to get our pictures taken. I munched on a bagel and drank Powerade while I waited.

8:30am: Family Reunion Area

As soon as Ed ran past, I headed left and over a small canal via a little footbridge. I made my way along the plastic fencing and into the family reunion area. Several tents seemed to be marked alphabetically, so I waited anxiously by the tent with the first initial of our last name. And I waited. Lots of runners were filtering out in single file carrying their plastic bags; some met with family and friends, some just walked off alone. I was glad that Ed would find me waiting for him.

And waiting…..

Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around. It was Ed, wearing his medal! “How did you get past me?” I asked. “Because the bag retrieval tents are grouped by the first initial of our first names!” he said. We both laughed, and I gave him a hug. Yuck! :scared: Sweaty! Let me take a picture and then you can change your shirt!

IMGP0885.jpg

Ed phoned Tricia in NJ, then Eddie in NC to tell them the good news.

IMGP0884.jpg

We walked around for a bit. There was a tent set up where you could get your medal engraved with your name and your time (for $25). It was a little steep, but since it was his first half marathon, Ed decided he wanted to do it. So we stood on another line! :laughing:

After that, we slowly walked out and around through the parking lot and over to the bus stops. We saw Disney buses, but not the charter marathon buses, so we found a CM and inquired about them. Much to our dismay, we discovered that now that the event was over and the park was open, we were expected to use regular Disney transportation.

“So what?” you might ask. “Sounds like the Disney buses were better, anyway.” Well, that I definitely would give you, except, we were staying at the Swan, an Epcot area resort. And Epcot area resorts only had boat transportation to and from…. the International Gateway! And here we were at the entrance to Future World!

I asked Ed if he just wanted to grab a cab, but he said no. He was feeling okay; the cramp in his leg was long gone and he wanted to walk off the lactic acid or whatever, so we strolled over to the park entrance. We went through bag check and, since we both had annual passes, we just got on line and went through the turnstiles. The CMs at security and at the turnstiles all said, “Congratulations!” to Ed when they saw his medal. :)

The congratulations continued as we took a slow stroll through FW. From time to time we would pass other runners wearing their medals and they would exchange acknowledgements with Ed: “Congratulations!”, or a nod, or a thumb’s up. :thumbsup2 It was really nice. WDW always feels happy and friendly to me, but there was a community spirit there among the runners that made it seem even friendlier than usual.

There were still runners/walkers who were finishing up the course, which was marked off with cones and policed by security agents. Ed shouted out words of encouragement to his comrades who were still struggling toward the finish. At one point we needed to cross the course and security guards were stationed at the “intersection” to help park guests cross over quickly and safely for the runners. It was amazing to see some people so oblivious to the race… we saw several people just meandering across, taking their own sweet time.

“You need to move quickly, now”, the CMs would say, but some just didn’t seem to realize the danger of a collision. It was as though they expected the CMs to stop the runners so they could cross, much like a traffic cop would stop cars! :rolleyes: It really annoyed Ed to see it. Luckily, the race would be wrapping up soon.

We meandered our way over to World Showcase and turned right toward the International Gateway. WS was not yet open, but it was a pleasant stroll, nevertheless. I must have asked Ed a dozen times if he felt okay; I felt so bad that he had to walk all this way after his run. But he kept telling me that he was fine and that it was probably good for him to cool down slowly anyway.

After a quick restroom break at the IG, we exited the park and caught a Frienship back to the Swan. “Aaahhh!” he sighed as he sat down on the boat’s hard bench seating. “That feels so good!” :cloud9:

Next Up: We’re not done yet; there’s a whole lot more!! Food, sleep, not one but two spas, Cirque, and Raglan Road. And that’s just the rest of this day! You don’t want to miss it!

Kathy

OMG!! :scared1:

I somehow lost my subscription to this thread and completely forgot about it. Sorry Kat. Good thing you said something.

Ok, I have a lot of reading to do and I think WORK is the right place to do it. Will catch up tomorrow.

MDF ---> :banana:

Woohoo! Greats updates! :cheer2: Congratulations on your first half marathon Ed! :woohoo:

Wow. It took me a while but I got through the entire thing. That was really well written. I liked having the different perspectives. Nice touch.

That is a LONG way to run. The longest I've ever run is around 7 miles. I wouldn't want to attempt 13 miles.

Kudos to Ed for making it. I'll bet the music and cheering really helped him and others. Disney does it right.

I can't believe you guys had to WALK back when it was all over. What a pain. The busses were a mess though that morning so maybe it was a blessing besides it was probably good for Ed to walk off that run.

Good job Kathy. Great report so far.

MDF ---> :banana:

Go Ed, Go Ed, It's Your Birthday...Go Ed! :banana: :banana:

Wow! Congratulations to Ed for running the marathon and congrats to you for braving the mob!

Another great installment!

Great Update, Thanks

It appears like you and Ed are telling the same story :thumbsup2

I wonder why Buzz and Linnie have such a problem doing that. :confused3

Hey!! :mad:

BTW: Linnie is all screwed up. She doesn't know what she's talking about half the time and the other half she's asleep. :rotfl2:

Congratulations to Ed on his first half-marathon. And congrats to you, Kathy, on finishing the 5K, even though you were sick!!

Marion: :goodvibes as always!

Halloweenqueen: Wow! Only 3 wks left for you! :banana:

Renee: Thanks and thanks again! I just finished drooling over your Boma pics!

Goofster: Ed remembered a whole lot that I didn't. Not only do I have the effects of time to contend with; I've also got that blonde thing going on, you know!

TeamWeasel: Thanks! What on earth does your name mean??

MDF: Glad to have you back! Are you aware that other Dis-ers are GATing all over the place? I hope you've applied for a copyright!!

Solferino: It's great that your DH is taking up running.... better they run than run around, I say! ;)

Kathy

Solferino: It's great that your DH is taking up running.... better they run than run around, I say! ;)

Kathy

Hey, my DH is a ::cop: too :thumbsup2 He's been running a long time, but is a roadie at heart. :moped: (pretend this is human powered ;) ) And you're so right! I'm glad our guys have healthy ways to deal with work stress.:yay:

Great Update, Thanks

I'm in agreement with Goofster on all three accounts :lmao: :rotfl:

I enjoyed the new style of reporting :thumbsup2

Congrats to ED :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter