The GROOVIER New Pop Century FAQ Thread Chapter 2! ~ Post #1 is a must see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I will fax Pop 5 days prior to my arriving with the following instructions (let me know what you think)

4th Floor of the 60's section (Fireworks view) - if possible
Celebrating all 3 of our birthday
First Time Visit for all 3 of us

What do you think?

Absolutely perfect!! And don't forget to make the fax friendly and polite, explain it is the first WDW and POP visit for your family and how much you are looking forward to staying at POP. Ask, if possible, could they assign a room in the 60's with a fireworks view on the 4th floor? :goodvibes

There is a wonderful view from some of the rooms there and you'll be able to see the lake too! :woohoo:

I can't wait to hear about your trip!!:yay:

We just returned from a stay at Pop 3/13-3/20. It was our first stay at a value resort, after several years of staying at deluxe resorts. We enjoyed our stay. There were definitely more positives than negatives to staying at Pop. The rooms were smaller. I wish it would have had a privacy curtain where the sink was. But that was my biggest complaint about the room. The beds were on the small side, but we managed. We didn't really hear a lot of noise while we were in our room. We were on the first floor in the 70's building, right where the big wheel is. It was a great location.

CM's were great! The room was clean and we found the grounds to be taken care of. I felt sorry for the cm's though. Guests did not clean up after themselves in the food court at all.

I didn't really care for the food court. It was pretty loud in there. But, on the bright side, there was plenty of seating. Food was on the plain side in terms of flavor, but it was edible. And there was a good variety of choices. And we LOVED the frozen coke machine! But we grew tired of the food court pretty quick.

The pool areas were nice. There were plenty of lounge chairs available. I just wish they offered towel service. If we stay at Pop again, I will bring beach towels from home. We found the pool areas to be clean. No complaints here. We tried the hippy dippy and computer pool areas. Both were perfectly fine and not too crowded.

We really enjoyed strolling the grounds, especially the lake area. What a great thing to have at the resort. It was so relaxing there. And it was a perfect location to watch the space shuttle launch!

As for bus service, we were pretty lucky during the first half of our stay. Buses were either waiting, or pulled up shortly after we arrived. A few times we had to stand though. The only bad comment was when we waited over 30 minutes at DHS for a bus at about 3pm. There was a long line of people ahead of us who said that had been waiting a lot longer. The people ahead of us were very upset. But really, this type of thing could happen at any resort. Things happen.

All in all, we had a nice stay at Pop and would recommend it to others. We had no major complaints. And the things that we didn't like could definitely be fixed. For example, we would bring beach towels from home, bring a cheap curtain and tension rod to create our own privacy curtain. And we would limit the use of the food court (except for the yummy frozen cokes). I am glad that we stayed at Pop!:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for these boards!

DH and I were planning on going to WDW in September and staying at CSR with DxDDP because we had a bounceback offer booked - however, plans changed and we cannot travel this year, so we are traveling in January 2010.

Because we didn't have the bounceback, we had to book a value to make up for the cost the bounceback would have saved us - we were a little hesitant at first because we had stayed at All Star Sports before, and although we loved it, we were really psyched about CSR...

Then I saw this thread and I am SO EXCITED to be going to Pop! The food court looks amazing, the pools look like fun, the lake gives it a bit more than a value feel, and I am really psyched about the nostalgia!

Thank you thank you thank you for all your hard work OP and the rest of you for pumping us up to get into our room at POP!!! :goodvibes

Welcome to the POP thread!! We're so happy you've joined us!
It is a fun thread, with lots of great info and POPers who enjoy helping new POPers enjoy their first stay (and even us oldie POPers!).:yay:

I am also on the CSR thread - if your heart is set on CSR, don't give up yet. Codes may well be released for Jan 2010 or some kind of new special. Also don't forget about the AAA discounts - those are released sooner and can be booked directly through WDW Central reservations too. :)

We're delighted to have you on the POP thread....and ask away - we love to answer POP questions!:thumbsup2

Have fun planning - POP or CSR!! :goodvibes

Re :the towels at Pop !! Pool towels can be requested thru Mousekeeping !! We always had plentyand the first day I just borrowed somefrom a cart the cm was fine with this .As for the food court we loved the food !My fav was chicken alfredo and the kids loved the steak wraps ! I also had the Mom's Night out Chicken diner which was good.Dessrts the favs were the sundaes andtyedye cheesecake In ay I want to try thehrimp lomein and the Reuben flatbread !!I agree the lake is awesome !!

I agree about asking for more towels. I just push the housekeeping button on the phone and say "I'd like # more towels," and they bring them right away.

But, if you prefer bigger towels for the pool, definately bring your own! :thumbsup2

Hi all:)
This is our second Disney trip, but first time in a Value. I was wondering if there is a particular building I should request for just the two of us? Or should I roll the dice and just ask for a "quiet room"?

Thanks!!:thumbsup2

Does anyone know if they sell reasonably priced towels at Pop Century in the shop?

Probably not, especially if you are comparing to some place like Walmart.

Most stuff at WDW isn't really too bad though, all things considered.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread!

My husband and I stayed at Pop Century (uh---but we like calling it 'Pop Land'----inside joke, I guess) March 7-14. It was our first on-property stay. We absolutely loved it!

It was nice for once NOT to have to rent a car and commute all around. . .

From Orlando Airport to Pop Century was just shy of an hour on the M.E. (stopped off at Carribean Beach Resort, first)

Pop was wonderful!!

Our room request was simply, 'a quieter room' and 'preferably on the top floor'. (did this at time of booking and didn't bother to mention it again----figured we'd just get what we get) We were given a room in building 09, on the top floor and it was quite perfect for us. We could see the pool, but it was distant enough not to be a distraction. (noise-wise)

We laughed at our 'musical toilet' the whole trip---even had to take a picture of it so we could laugh later. . . It made the expected, overly dramatic flush. . .but then made a high pitched whistle afterwards. . . .o.k., probably not funny to anyone but us. . .Ha! Did have some drainage issues in the sink the first night and had to call for some assistance. Water would not drain and was leaking under the sink a bit. Someone from maintenance came with a little plunger and it helped a bit. Later in the week we had a slow draining tub, but overnight it drained and it never again was an issue. . .not really complaining. . .certainly didn't cloud our experience! Afterall, stuff like this happens at home, too!

The room was in decent shape and stayed about the same throughout. When we were just checking in, a friendly mousekeeper popped in (the door was open as we just had Garden Grocer deliver some stuff to our room) and delivered a 'welcome' towel monkey for our window ledge. Now, I knew about these well in advance from the DisBoards. . .but it was a new novelty for my husband. He wasn't so sure what to think about it----but got hooked on them as the week progressed!!!!----as we received a few more----great fun!)

Thought the mattresses and pillows were wonderful (I know everyone has their own opinion, here). The firmness was great. Uh. . .we came home and ordered a new mattress. . .having realized how sad ours had become! :)

We enjoyed walking around the resort in the wee hours of the morning. . . usually an hour before the buses began running. Enjoyed the great photo opportunities, etc. For it being a 'value' resort, I was pleased to see the usual Disney attention to detail when it came to the landscaping, etc. It was very pleasant!

Made use of the food court on a few occasions. Mid afternoon decision for a burger on arrival day was a poor choice (too dried out)-----but we soon discovered the chicken alfredo!!! It was quite delicious! The chicken was a good 6oz. breast and juicy! Filling and satisfying! We often found coming back from the parks at night, if we were a little hungry. . .we'd order up the chicken alfredo----sometimes to share. . .and sometimes NOT. I wish I had tried a few other options (like the veggie lasagna or the flatbreads), but hey. . .always next year. . .

Was concerned about the buses after reading various threads. . . NEVER a problem. I don't think we ever waited more than 10 minutes at most----and generally, it was less. The buses made our trip much less stressful (not having to drive)-----but there were a few times late at night where it would have been nice to be in a quiet car vs. the full, noisy bus. . . I asked my husband if next time he'd rather return to having a car. . .he said, 'no'----so it couldn't have been all that bad, right?

We don't have the luxury of knowing when we'll be able to take our vacation time next year----so we couldn't take advantage of the 20% book-now discount posted in our room just before our departure (30% for moderates). . . but we wouldn't hesitate to return to Pop Century next year! We've fallen in "love" with Pop Century and will certainly keep it near the top of the list when planning our next trip to The World!!!! :cloud9:

We were there the same time! You should check out my trip report (link in my signature) and see if I took any random opics of you. LOL!
I did alot of early morning strolling too, so maybe I passed you a time or two.

So I think I will fax Pop 5 days prior to my arriving with the following instructions (let me know what you think)

What do you think?

In the fax, You can meniton you are celebrating your b-day and it's your first visit, but don't include that as part of the actual request.
Also in the request part, put in exact order what you want, like 4th floor, 60's, fireworks view, and you can even include why you want each of those. Her is a copy of the fax I sent. I got exactly what I asked for too. 2 years running now! ;)

Attention Room Assigner

Hello from Ohio! Brrrr!

I would just like re-confirm our reservation and see if you could possibly accommodate our room requests.
Our Reservation number is xxxxxx. We are booked for March 8 -14, (celebrating my 40th birthday!). There are 3 of us, Dh's name, My name, and DD's name (4 years old). We would really appreciate if we can get first floor (because we have a stroller and hate to hassle with elevators), poolside ( because Claire is quite the swimmer), and 60’s section ( because Claire loves the Jungle book),

If you have any questions my home phone is xxx-xxx-xxxx. My cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx..
Our home address is
xxxxx
xxxxx

Thanks you for your time and consideration. We are excited to be seeing you all soon!

My name

What do you think?

Assuming you have "preferred" reservations----or, maybe I'm wrong. Are the "fireworks views" the backs of the building ? Otherwise, I think this is great Mel. Minnie&Nana and Jenseib (she worded the fax very nicely !) gave good suggestions. I'm just going to add one. In addition to the fax, I'd recommend calling disney reservations up (menu option "modify existing reservation") and add the requests on to the CM on the phone as well. This goes directly into their computer data base when it comes to reservations. I gave my reservations over the phone for my early Feb stay at SSR. I requested : Congress Park section/Downtown Disney view and I got it.
Best of luck and happy birthday to all !

Maria

UPDATE on the ONLINE CHECKING :

Ok...checked into POP around 9 pm Friday. Not crowded at all. I was the second person in line and noone behind me.

I saw the sign for "online checkin" and asked the CM if I should get in that one, but also asked "exactly" where it was because it was not designated very well at all. His reply : "Well, just check-in here because it's been confusing all day with that". "Everyone is just getting in this line". He acted like there really was no distinction ? Now maybe it's just because it was so slow when I got there ? But I really didn't see the big reason for doing an online checkin except they already had my cc info. I would have been irritated if it was crowded and there were no distinction between the lines.

Maria

Assuming you have "preferred" reservations----or, maybe I'm wrong. Are the "fireworks views" the backs of the building ? Otherwise, I think this is great Mel. Minnie&Nana and Jenseib (she worded the fax very nicely !) gave good suggestions. I'm just going to add one. In addition to the fax, I'd recommend calling disney reservations up (menu option "modify existing reservation") and add the requests on to the CM on the phone as well. This goes directly into their computer data base when it comes to reservations. I gave my reservations over the phone for my early Feb stay at SSR. I requested : Congress Park section/Downtown Disney view and I got it.

Maria

Yes, be sure to have that request on your original reservation too. Always do that. If you are preferred though, there isn't a fireworks veiw that I'm aware of, so either forget that, or call and see if you can downgrade to standard.

Great info about the fireworks veiw, I wasn't even aware of that!!

A quick question. I see that Pop has bed rails available. Can someone tell me the cost? And if I need 2, one for each side of the bed, do I need to request 2, or do they come in a set. Thanks.

Re :the towels at Pop !! Pool towels can be requested thru Mousekeeping !! We always had plentyand the first day I just borrowed somefrom a cart the cm was fine with this .As for the food court we loved the food !My fav was chicken alfredo and the kids loved the steak wraps ! I also had the Mom's Night out Chicken diner which was good.Dessrts the favs were the sundaes andtyedye cheesecake In ay I want to try thehrimp lomein and the Reuben flatbread !!I agree the lake is awesome !!

Rats! I forgot to mention the sundaes in my review. Yes, they were a hit with us! We rarely found a line at the dessert counter either.:thumbsup2 And the cheesecake was fun. I have a great picture of my son munching on it, with his teeth covered in blue from the cheesecake. He really got a kick out of it.

I hope I'm not scaring anyone off by my review of the food court. Keep 2 things in mind when you read my previous comments.

1. I am a stay at home mom now (after years of being a working mom ;)) so we are used to home-cooked meals with lots of seasoning. I've gone over-board with the cook books and gourmet recipes. So the food at Pop tasted a little bland to us. Not bad, just bland. The kids were perfectly happy with the food. It was dh and I that missed my home cooking. We had the quick service dining plan and were kind of sick of fast food after a while. Maybe we would have had a different opinion if we were on the basic dining plan.

2. We were aware of the noise in the food court. It was hectic in there to us. But then again, we have 2 autistic children, so we would notice things like that.

Oh, and the towels were a little on the small side for an adult, so I'd definitely recommend a beach towel from home if you can spare the suitcase space.

I've got about 1000 pictures, including tons of Pop that I plan on posting on the photo thread tomorrow. Check them out. It was definitely a fun place to photograph!:thumbsup2

Maria

Thank You! Thank You! Thank you ALL! I do not have preferred room reservations, my TA told me they were basically a waste of money and yes the fireworks view is not part of the preferred rooms.

I will take your advice and word my fax as such. So you think I should call as well? Should I call the reservation line or Pop Century directly? When should I call? I understand they do not place you until 3-4 days before your arrival? Is this true? How early do any of you call and request things?

This is our first trip so bear with me :rotfl:

Thank You! Thank You! Thank you ALL! I do not have preferred room reservations, my TA told me they were basically a waste of money and yes the fireworks view is not part of the preferred rooms.

I will take your advice and word my fax as such. So you think I should call as well? Should I call the reservation line or Pop Century directly? When should I call? I understand they do not place you until 3-4 days before your arrival? Is this true? How early do any of you call and request things?

This is our first trip so bear with me :rotfl:

IF you do not have any of this on your reservation yet, have your TA do it now. I don't believe you have access to your ressie when it's done through a TA???? :confused3

Then you can be SURE they have your requests. Sometimes when they are busy they do not even look at faxes.

Anyone done Online Check in for Pop yet?
Somebody did a few posts up. Said that there wasn't even a dedicated line, because a CM said it was "too confusing." Only big difference was that they had her cc# already.

Probably are still just working out the kinks.

We have done this a number of times at other hotels and it's a very quick check-in as long as you don't have any changes. I'm hoping it works well at Pop this September when we go down. Anyone who has done this recently at POP please let us know!:surfweb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter