The Grand is phasing out bunk beds

I'm good with the showers. I just don't like the head in the middle of the ceiling that they've supposedly used. Hopefully the cubicle is big enough that you'll be able to stand out of the flow if you need to.

For those of you with kidlets who still need tubs, are there any kind of inflatable tubs or mini-pools that might fit inside? Although draining would be a problem. Or maybe there will be enough of a 'lip' that you'll be able to plug the shower drain and get a few inches of water.

I have a feeling that showers are probably easier to keep clean than a tub as far as housekeeping goes, and possibly less chance of overflow or a good deal of water being splashed on the floor from tub-play.

Showers are easier/faster to clean.

But I've also heard that showers appeal to a wider customer base than tubs because more people find tubs potentially gross. I can believe that- I'm not easily grossed out in general but I rarely use the tub at a hotel. People supposedly see tubs in rooms as a sign of an older/lower class hotel. (this was a topic in an article I read a while back. I remember it because at first I thought it was really stupid. But then I realized that even I do judge hotels on little aesthetic bathroom things. Like where the sink is, what the shower head is like, what material the countertop is, etc.) Hotel updates aren't about use. They're about what they think the customer will be expecting or wanting to see when they walk in the room.

Just another example...there isn't really anything wrong with a floral bedspread or nonflatscreen TV or laminate countertops. But if most people see those, it won't matter how clean it is, or how good the service is- the dated aspects will make it into the review.

OMG that shower is gorgeous! Bummed about the bunk beds--that was our kids' favorite thing last summer. However, my oldest is 5'8" & too tall for the trundle, and my youngest will be too tall before too long. So as long as the daybed is similar to the ones in DLH & PPH we will be good. We won't be back to the GCH until October, so hoping it's all refurbed by then :)

This thread seems to be adding reasons why my family probably will never stay at GCH. It's a beautiful hotel, but tubs are a deal breaker for our family. Sad because I'd love to go, but I'm just seeing more and more that it's not worth it for us. Maybe I'll go on a special trip with just my DH someday...

WOW, that shower is very modern and not A&C whatsoever. I see Disney is going the TOT to GOTG route and totally giving up on theme. As far as the shower curtain, people simply don't know how to use shower curtains anymore. Just finished my shower and not a drop on the floor here in my bunkbed room.

I was told that a small tub to be used inside the shower is (or will be) available.
It would be difficult to to block the large rectangular drain...
Now that makes sense! Although the implementation will be interesting.

Have to admit that shower looks really nice. As a tall person I always spend my shower ducking down to get under the shower head to clean it at hotels so I will definitely like this set-up better!

WOW, that shower is very modern and not A&C whatsoever.

I actually think they did a very nice job of including Arts and Craft elements into the new shower design: the use of the stone, earthy tones that have subtle variations, a nice airy feeling created by the glass at front, and a nice use of horizontal lines. If you try to shove too many A&C elements into such a small space, it would end up looking busy or fussy.

You should have a good chance to receive a bunk bed room, since most of the hotel has not been renovated.
(wild guess: 30% renovated)

The bed configurations for renovated rooms:
  • 2 queen and loveseat (seating only, non-foldout)
  • 2 queen and daybed -- more common than pre-renovation (only 39)
  • King and sofa (fold out) -- more common than pre-renovation
Tubs are also being eliminated, except in a few HA rooms. New showers have glass doors and look very nice.
Tubs are being eliminated?!?! We want to stay there after this years visit and that would be a deal breaker for lots of people with kids under 5 or so. Hard to actively bathe a child in a shower particularly with a shower door.

Tubs are being eliminated?!?! We want to stay there after this years visit and that would be a deal breaker for lots of people with kids under 5 or so. Hard to actively bathe a child in a shower particularly with a shower door.

Nonsuch posted on page 1 of this thread a photo of the new shower with an adjustable hand-held shower head.
Hose the wee ones off like after a sandy day at the beach?

pixiedust: :laundy: :flower1:

...By chance do you have pictures of the rest of the new rooms?
I do have some more pictures, and will try to post to the GCH Superthread (soon).
...As far as the shower curtain, people simply don't know how to use shower curtains anymore. Just finished my shower and not a drop on the floor here in my bunkbed room.
I do try to "correctly" position the shower curtain, but seldom succeed. Not sure what the issue is, since I don't have problems at other hotels.

Nice to hear you received a bunk bed room :thumbsup2
Please report if the Fountain Pool opens during your visit.

WOW, that shower is very modern and not A&C whatsoever. I see Disney is going the TOT to GOTG route and totally giving up on theme.
I actually think they did a very nice job of including Arts and Craft elements into the new shower design: the use of the stone, earthy tones that have subtle variations, a nice airy feeling created by the glass at front, and a nice use of horizontal lines. If you try to shove too many A&C elements into such a small space, it would end up looking busy or fussy.
The "basket weave" floor tile does fit with the Arts and Craft style, but clashes with the large wall tiles. The small tile inserts on the wall should have been the same (or a variation) on the floor tile. The bathroom design in the villas successfully integrate A&C style with modern elements, but the design is much more labor intensive to install -- more cost and more time.

Overall, I suspect most guests (at least those that do not need a tub) will find the new bathrooms an upgrade.

The "basket weave" floor tile does fit with the Arts and Craft style, but clashes with the large wall tiles. The small tile inserts on the wall should have been the same (or a variation) on the floor tile.

I definitely agree that the basket weave pattern clashes. I was looking at the picture on my phone and thought it was just a plain cream tile floor with small darker brown tile accents. That would have been a better choice, too.

WOW, that shower is very modern and not A&C whatsoever. I see Disney is going the TOT to GOTG route and totally giving up on theme. As far as the shower curtain, people simply don't know how to use shower curtains anymore. Just finished my shower and not a drop on the floor here in my bunkbed room.

The bathroom is very "generic," isn't it. I guess it will be more "user friendly" but the hardware and tile could really be in just about any modern hotel. Funny, because beautiful, artistic tile work was such a big part of A&C decoration. Sigh.

Nonsuch posted on page 1 of this thread a photo of the new shower with an adjustable hand-held shower head.
Hose the wee ones off like after a sandy day at the beach?

pixiedust: :laundy: :flower1:
Maybe my kids are just more rambunctious then other kids but those things don't end up well. (I end up getting pretty wet) It's quite unfortunate. I think to give a shower you'd have to turn the water on and off in order to actually wash them. Older kids no big deal. Under 5-6 would not work in my opinion. Maybe they are trying to keep the little kids out?

Maybe my kids are just more rambunctious then other kids but those things don't end up well. (I end up getting pretty wet) It's quite unfortunate. I think to give a shower you'd have to turn the water on and off in order to actually wash them. Older kids no big deal. Under 5-6 would not work in my opinion. Maybe they are trying to keep the little kids out?

I laughed at myself when I read this. I'm thinking back on showering my own kids, but I'm thinking of at home. Add in all the excitement and sugar of a day at DLR and anything could happen!

:umbrella::umbrella::umbrella:

Yeah...the tub is probably a better bet.

:boat::boat::boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter