• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Grain Grubbers Film Thread

Nice shot Danielle! I quite like the shapes and lines in the composition!

Another fisheye film shot while waiting on the Ricohflex.

p983268664-5.jpg

Thanks. You never quite know what you'll end up with when you use a Holga, so some of that composition is blind luck.

Nice use of the fish on EE. I'm too busy being terrified of heights to get the camera out at all on there.

I know what you mean about the composition with the "toy" cameras. The Fisheye that I have doesn't even have a viewfinder, it has a "viewfinder attachment" that slides into the flash shoe and bears such little resemblance to the final shot that I don't even bother with it most times.

Here's another from that little EE ride. You can get some fun shots out of it when the light is good.

p904534899-5.jpg

Grain Grubbers arise again! I have now done 2 rolls of film with my "new" TLR (it was manufactured about 7 years before I was born):

p122115753-5.jpg

One B&W (the "learning roll" ;)) and one colour. Thought I would share some of the colour shots. All the shots were taken using tripod and a cable release. All shots were 1/100 with the first two at F16 and the last F11 (relying on the sunny 16 rule for esposure :thumbsup2). These were scanned with an Epson Perfection V500.:

p404150674-5.jpg

p346498213-5.jpg

p327969522-5.jpg

I am VERY happy with the images, but it is a slooooow camera - fastest shutter speed is 1/100. Also, a bit of vignetting at F16, but not too bad. I would really like to try some portraits, but need to find the right time (my daughter will still smile for the camera, and I think I can get her to sit still for 1/100 of a second if I catch her at the right time :)).

Thanks for looking!

Nice. I have an Argoflex 75 TLR. It leans more to the toy camera end of things with it's non-adjustable settings and bakelite build. You want a slow camera.. The Kodak Brownie Hawkeye has a shutter speed of about 1/50. It gets fun when you're shooting moving subjects. I think I posted a shot of my kids further up the thread that's from the Brownie.

Nice. I have an Argoflex 75 TLR. It leans more to the toy camera end of things with it's non-adjustable settings and bakelite build. You want a slow camera.. The Kodak Brownie Hawkeye has a shutter speed of about 1/50. It gets fun when you're shooting moving subjects. I think I posted a shot of my kids further up the thread that's from the Brownie.

Oooh! An Argoflex - I looked at one but got scared off by having to respool film for it.

1/50 on the Brownie? That makes my Ricohflex twice as fast :rotfl:.

I know what you mean on the moving subjects. A good chunk of my practice roll was with my daughter learning to ride her bike - lots of blurry stuff and a couple double exposures when I rushed to get a shot and forgot to advance the film.

I have to say I am somewhat surprised with how sharp the lens is in the Ricohflex -much sharper than I expected (but most of the medium format shots I have seen were Holga shots - not a fair comparison).

Yeah. The Holga has a cheap plastic lens, the film isn't held flush and many have a ton of light leaks so it makes for some funkiness and wicked vignetting. And every Holga is a little bit different. My Brownie has a plastic lens too but, motion blur aside, it's sharper than the Holga.

Re spooling film isn't that difficult once you do a few. Especially if you're experienced in the darkroom. Or you can buy it re spooled already from B&H and a few other places.

Grain Grubbers arise again! I have now done 2 rolls of film with my "new" TLR (it was manufactured about 7 years before I was born):

p122115753-5.jpg

How nice- congrats on the new camera. I have a 'Super' Ricohflex that looks very similar (it goes to 1/200!) but I've only used it a few times. I prefer my Yashica. I love the shots you got with it though!

How nice- congrats on the new camera. I have a 'Super' Ricohflex that looks very similar (it goes to 1/200!) but I've only used it a few times. I prefer my Yashica. I love the shots you got with it though!

Thanks! 1/200? That's too fast for me :rotfl:. I think the Super is about 2-3 years newer model than mine. I can see why you prefer the Yashica though, it's a bit more versatile than the Ricohflex.

I am having fun with this camera. Its very basic, but this has the advantage of making me think more about the shot (composition, light, exposure I want) which I believe will translate to a more thoughtful approach with my DSLR as well. My film days were primarily point and shoot, as was my early digital shooting. Now a lot of my shooting with my DSLR has been catching the action (i.e. kids). The instant feedback on a DSLR allows for mistakes to be made and corrected quicky, so you don't have to think too much ahead of the shot if you don't want too. Using this TLR is helping me train myself to take the time and be patient with the shot as I will only have the one chance. I am also starting to think "square" on the crop, which is a bit different as well.

My next quest is filters - I am on the prowl for series 6 drop in filters to use with the push on filter holder that came with the camera.

Here is another shot - we are experiencing major flooding up here, and this is a flooded creek where I usually bike over on my way yo work. The bridge is about 10-15 feet under the water right now.

p600976260-5.jpg

After a few years of using a Canon DSLR, I sold it and went back to my Canon SLR using the same lenses, shooting mainly black & white.
What I find with film versus digital is that you think of your composition, lighting, exposure and depth instead of just taking a trillion pictures "because it's free".
I love analog.

After a few years of using a Canon DSLR, I sold it and went back to my Canon SLR using the same lenses, shooting mainly black & white.
What I find with film versus digital is that you think of your composition, lighting, exposure and depth instead of just taking a trillion pictures "because it's free".
I love analog.

AMEN!

With only a limited number of shots you really have to make them count.

Time for a bit of a bump. Some new shots from the Ricohflex from early June that I recenlty scanned. I am loving the cropping options when shooting medium format.

Some shots of a local bridge in the early evening using Fuji Reala 120 film (100 ISO).

p898585593-5.jpg

p993957149-5.jpg

Another from the Ricohlfex. A view of our Legislative Building, early evening shot on Fuji Reala 120 film (100 IS0). 1/100 at F11.

p778531065-5.jpg

This thread fell well off the radar! Hope to kick start it with a couple new shots taken with the Ricohflex TLR. These are some long exposures (papa got a brand newish light meter!) which are just scanned from 5x5 prints. I have not had a chance to scan the negatives yet, so hopefully these are ok. Both are in black and white (Ilford HPS4 120 ISO 125), and taken with a red filter on the taking lens (it drops about 2 and a bit stops of light).

Both were taken at the sculpture garden at our local park.

p961247570-5.jpg

p984259296-5.jpg

C'mon, there must be some film shooting going on out there! Anyone else have anything to share?

Resurrecting a thread. It's been a while since we've seen any film.

This was shot with a Calumet 4x5 view camera in the studio. It was an exercise playing with the tilt, shift and swing to get as much of the ears on the plane of focus as possible.

img069-4x5-M.jpg

Nice shot! I like it in black and white. So, did you acquire a 4x5 camera, or just had a chance to play with one? I had a chance to acquire one recently, but couldn't justify the purchase when some other unanticipated expenses arose.

And thanks for reviving the thread as I have a few more I can share:

Ricohflex Model VI, Ilford B&W 120 film, F8 for 2 "mississippis", scanned from a 5x5 print (too lazy to hook up the film scanner).

p1001611841-5.jpg

I have access to a 4x5 right now and am considering buying one soon. The first time I used the 4x5 I was just totally blown away by the resolution. We think these high megapixel digital cameras can capture so many details, but the full frame and smaller sensors still can't touch large format film.

That's why I am liking my old medium format TLR - the amount of resolution is great, especially off a film scan. There are some local photographers shooting 4x5 around here and the amount of detail they can get is phenomonal, especially when shooting cityscapes or from the air.

Got another one to share:

p526270919-5.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter