The Goofy Identity (Just whose side are you on anyway?) - Compleated!

Chapter 3: Integration

C03-201_zps859c6e75.jpg

Part 2: Missed it by That Much…​

So… when we last saw our clandestine quartet they had one third of the mission completed, fast passes in their pockets for the other two thirds and were on the way to infiltrate several foreign missions before polishing off the main objective.

So don’t tell me that there is any possible way for this plan not to work perfectly.

Well…
Actually, everything is subject to change and there are things that are beyond our control that could impact us, so there actually is a possibility that this plane could fail

"I asked you not to tell me that."

C03-202_zps3783e553.jpg

Sorry about that Chief…
but would you believe that this plan is at least as fool proof and infallible as our vaunted Cone of silence?
Would you believe it… just as infallible as that impermeable bit of Plexiglas perfection?

C03-203_zpsbaab81db.jpg

"What?"

I said… Ummmm…
Would you believe the plan is as fool proof as having Congress police its own ethical standards?

"Speak up… I can’t make out a word you’re saying."

How about… the plan is as fool proof and sending Dennis Rodman to North Korea?

"We’re doomed…"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Ship of Spies (1#27-28)

C03-204_zps5eac9c02.jpg

If I have an opportunity to get on a boat… any boat… for nearly any reason… I’m gonn’a take it.
I know that will come as a shock to my few regular readers.

In this instance, however, it was also an expedient choice. We had a lunch reservation deep in the heart of the WS and honestly, didn’t feel like making the long hike across several continents in what was turning out to be a brutally hot Central Florida afternoon. As we arrived in the area of the two boat landings, it was the “Friendship 2” then plying the western rout across the Lagoon that was just pulling in so by default our next stop was going to be this little spot on the Disney map…

C03-205_zps65abec4a.jpg

C03-206_zps6aae4f49.jpg

Since we were here, we stopped in to take a look around. I rather like rummaging around this pavilion. Partly because a lot of folks tend to ignore it. The result of that… ummm… “choice” on their part means that this is a fairly calm place and makes for a good peaceful diversion even during the most jam packed, high crowd times of the year.

Morocco isn’t one of the original pavilions but was part of the first expansion back in 1984. It’s also the only pavilion where the country's government actually backed and participated in the design work. Moroccan artisans were sent to create the many mosaics that are found throughout the pavilion…

C03-207_zpse64ba931.jpg

I love all the intricate tile work that adorns the fountains, walkways and pretty much the entire “Fez House” area. I respect the work and craftsmanship required to do all that fine detail. I also find the colors and patterns to be soothing and calming, as well as being satisfyingly different for the more common types of embellishments found in architecture of European decent. That stuff we see all the time.

Now, if your culture just happens to see it as improper to depict a human image in its artwork (because it raises a mere person to the level of an idol from their point of view), that won’t preclude your from artistic pursuits. It just means that you’d likely put all your effort into pattern, and design and form. And in cultures descendant from Moorish traditions, that is the case. This is a cultural difference which until that moment was unknown to our gust agent so knowledge was acquired. Something which once again proved that Disney is not just as escapist diversion, but also a potential learning experience.

C03-208_zpsacc87ba1.jpg

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
One of Our Olives is Missing (3#07)

C03-209_zpsb8f35f0f.jpg

After a bit of meandering about Northern Africa, a few poorly focused “hat-pics” (which is why I’ve not yet posted any), and the realization that Jasmine was nowhere to be seen (meaning no DisDad pics were possible either)… we figured that the best alternative was to satisfy our growing need for bio-fuel. To satisfy that need we crossed the Mediterranean Sea (by way of the Pacific Ocean and North America as WS Geography dictates) to arrive at…

C03-210_zps853e2827.jpg

Italia!

We had “ressies” for something that was completely new…

To us at least…

C03-211_zps6ddef4f2.jpg

Via Napoli

Upon entering we were first greeted by blessed air-conditioning…
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh….

And then noticed that it was also a beautiful space (like everything else at Disney)

C03-212_zpsf0d1041d.jpg

C03-213_zps3c065cf5.jpg

Of the table service restaurants in the WS, this one gets high ratings from nearly all my compatriots and especially so in the grub-for-your-buck category. That is if you stick with the pizza which is cooked up in those wood fired ovens back there. We ordered up a couple of different pies and dug in…

C03-214_zps8a537016.jpg

The verdict?

Meraviglioso!!

Being as (until recently) there was not a huge tradition of pizza making in and around my hometown (beyond the standard chain fair that is), this stuff was simply wonderful. So needless to say, we’ll be back.

Is This Trip Necessary? (5#12)

While we were enjoying pizza and air-conditioning back in ancient Italy, the boys were playing around with a phone app they downloaded to check on wait times back over in Future World. At that point they noticed a somewhat disturbing fact: Test Track had apparently broken down and was closed for the time being. OK, that happens, but the Imagineers are usually pretty quick to get their attractions back up and running so I wasn’t worried just yet. After dinner though, we checked again and found that there was still no traffic out on the loop. That was not boding well, but we still had a while before our FP return time. Just keep positive thoughts.

As I said: we have time. So this begs the question; Now what? Well we could continue on toward Germany and follow the walk back toward TT via Mexico. Yes we could do that, but the boys had something different in mind…

C03-215_zps8de1106d.jpg

So why were the young’ens taking us on a roundabout trip that headed off in the wrong direction? Well, that was partly because we just walked past this pavilion earlier in our search for sustenance, and partly because there were things back there that they wanted to see. More to the point, the wanted to take a look at something specific they had noticed earlier on…

C03-216_zps949fde6e.jpg

One of the major parts of the Japan Pavilion is the “Bijutsu-kan” Gallery. This is described in tour books as “a gallery that maintains continuously changing exhibits reflecting the Japanese culture”. For years there was a large collection of “tin toys” that helped trace Japan’s transition from devastated former empire in the late 1940s through its rise as a manufacturing giant in modern times. But back in 2010, that was finally changed out for the current exhibit:

"Spirit Beasts: From Ancient Stories to Anime Stars"

(of course you could have just read the sign in the last picture and known that)

C03-217_zps1157d6cc.jpg

Being teenage guys, everything that had anything to do with Anime…
and therefore also influenced video games in general…
was something that the boys had to see.

The sign as you enter offers up this explanation of what’s going on here:

"For centuries, heroic animals and magical creatures have appeared in traditional Japanese myths, stories and art. Today, they are the heroes and villains of Japan's manga comics and anime. These "spirited beasts" from Japan's past have become pop culture superstars, known and loved around the world. Join us as we celebrate these mysterious, magical and mischievous animal figures."

C03-218_zpsf9eb3e44.jpg

Each section looks into a particular creature from Japanese mythology and then shows how that character or its traits have made their way into the forms and actions of many anime characters.

It was interesting to read through the descriptions of each beast and then see what bits were used in the modern character drawings. Seeing this exhibit helped explain (to me at least) some of the reasons why Anime characters are rendered with such exaggerated and even nonsensical features. To me they still look ridiculous for the most part, but now at least I understand why that is. The other thing I learned that surprised me was that the boys already know most of these critters and what powers they had and even their historical significance in Japanese culture. Who knew that they actually learned something cultural from a video game as opposed to just becoming proficient at knowing which series of button clicks and joy-stick motions produced the most spectacular virtual mass-murder scenes that a computer can generate.

OK, back to the World Showcase then, what say? I’ve been to Epcot many times, but have never really spent a whole lot of time in this particular pavilion (because when my son was younger, we had rather different priorities for spending our time). That being true, we decided to venture into the shops for just a bit before starting off toward Future World. Of course you’ll find the clothing, jewelry and the general touristy trinkets that you’d expect, but the most interesting part of the shopping experience here has to be the imported food and snacks…

C03-219_zps3883adbe.jpg

The reason I found this interesting is because the vast majority of it has no English translations of any type on the labels; adventure eating at its finest. If you want to know what it is you’ve got your mitts on you’re going to either have to puzzle it out based on the cryptic illustrations or identify it from what little of the contents you can see through the packaging…

C03-220_zps9f02a2ff.jpg

Some of it was straight forward; like “Pocky” (sort of a very thin chocolate covered bread stick), or the Ginger candies we purchased (which resembled butterscotch more than anything else, but with flecks of chopped ginger mixed in). Much of the rest of it however was a mystery but there were things that clearly looked like a bad idea and thus were more easily avoided. The soft drinks were easily the most baffling thing being offered up…

C03-221_zpsa87bd451.jpg

As we’ve all learned from the Beverly tap over at Club Cool, all sodas are not created equal. If we were going to try some of these… we were just going to have to take our chances. And that…

C03-222_zpsb8377256.jpg

Is exactly what we did.

By the way, these two particular “refreshments” were actually pretty good. Explaining them would be difficult at best (especially explaining the unique packaging associated with the clear bottle that Toncy is taking a swig of in that last picture), but they were in fact actually fairly tasty.

The Last One in is a Rotten Spy (1#30)

C03-223_zpsb94a3f33.jpg

Well we’d seen enough of Japan for now and our Test Track window was about to open up so it was time to get moving. We walked to Germany and caught the other “Friendship” back toward Future World. Along the way the boy’s online app was still saying that TT was closed for repairs.

Not Good…

Is it possible that the app isn’t updating correctly?

Turns out that the answer to that question is: Nope…

When we go there, Test Track was indeed closed and the CM with the unfortunate job of turning folks away also had to relay the fact that they were pretty sure it wouldn’t be opening back up again that day.

Dang!!

That put a bit of a kink into the plan. Now half our FPs were of no value and the other half were not useful until hours later… many hours later. We asked the boys what they wanted to get into at this point and received the somewhat surprising answer of: let’s go swimming.

Really?

Their arguments: it was blast-oven hot, everything else in FW was subject to ridiculously long wait times and they really didn’t want to hike back out into the show case right then. Well, at this point, I was alright with that choice because I intended to be back in Epcot several more times across the week anyway. The Sun (aided by unforeseen mechanical failures) had won out and driven us out of the parks for the day. We gave the Sorin’ FP away to folks that were only somewhat grateful to receive them (go figure) and headed for the car. A little while later, we made the trek to “Ol’ Man Island” and melted into the nearly perfect waters of the resort’s feature pool…

C03-224_zpsd5e822ff.jpg

where we would spend the rest of the afternoon, quite literally, cooling our heels…

C03-225_zps81edfb16.jpg

Several relaxing hours later a lovely sunset was observed, then diner was acquired from the dining hall and we called it a day. We turned in a bit early (for us) but there was much that had to be done tomorrow and we were going to need an early start to pull it off. Lollygagging was not an option. We may not have made rope drop this morning, but it was going to be imperative that we did so the next morning.

The entire mission depended on this detail.

Next up: Betrayal!​

If I have an opportunity to get on a boat… any boat… for nearly any reason… I’m gonn’a take it.
I'm just glad I was sitting down when I read that line.

and the realization that Jasmine was nowhere to be seen (meaning no DisDad pics were possible either)…
:sad2:

Any belly dancers? :rolleyes1

Via Napoli
You just hit the jackpot! :thumbsup2

And then noticed that it was also a beautiful space (like everything else at Disney)
::yes::

Of the table service restaurants in the WS, this one gets high ratings from nearly all my compatriots and especially so in the grub-for-your-buck category. That is if you stick with the pizza which is cooked up in those wood fired ovens back there.
Only a sucker would go there and not order pizza.

Being as (until recently) there was not a huge tradition of pizza making in and around my hometown (beyond the standard chain fair that is), this stuff was simply wonderful.
And even if there is plenty of top notch pizza in your neck of the woods, it is still wonderful!!!!

So needless to say, we’ll be back.
:thumbsup2

At that point they noticed a somewhat disturbing fact: Test Track had apparently broken down and was closed for the time being.
I thought this latest refurb was supposed to improve the reliability of that particular ride... :rolleyes1

Well we could continue on toward Germany and follow the walk back toward TT via Mexico.
Pit stop at La Cava del Tequila????

Seeing this exhibit helped explain (to me at least) some of the reasons why Anime characters are rendered with such exaggerated and even nonsensical features. To me they still look ridiculous for the most part, but now at least I understand why that is.
Scary, but I agree...

OK, back to the World Showcase then, what say?
Ok, sounded more like you were stuck at the video game section of Innoventions. Glad this thing is back on track.

The reason I found this interesting is because the vast majority of it has no English translations of any type on the labels; adventure eating at its finest.
Candy Roulette! :lmao:

Well, quite possible. But more likely...

We asked the boys what they wanted to get into at this point and received the somewhat surprising answer of: let’s go swimming.
:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: Missing Rope Drop and then bailing on the park mid day??? What a waste of a park day. :rolleyes1

We may not have made rope drop this morning, but it was going to be imperative that we did so the next morning.
:thumbsup2 About time you figure that detail out.

That’s the last mistake he’ll be making.
I believe it is time to order up a batch of hasenpfeffer… braised in beer.

Put plan Y-14 into effect, but leave the gull to me.
I’ll deal with him in good time …

Bwahahaha !!!!

yikes not plan y -14. That hasn't been used since the helsinki incident. The gull is yours.

So don’t tell me that there is any possible way for this plan not to work perfectly.

Famous last words.

...sending Dennis Rodman to North Korea?

That was actually a decent plan, except the plan was for him to stay there.

:eek::eek::faint:

Since we were here, we stopped in to take a look around. I rather like rummaging around this pavilion. Partly because a lot of folks tend to ignore it. The result of that… ummm… “choice” on their part means that this is a fairly calm place and makes for a good peaceful diversion even during the most jam packed, high crowd times of the year.

I'd really like to spend a lot more time rummaging around all of the WS pavilions. Some of the best details in Disney World.

Now, if your culture just happens to see it as improper to depict a human image in its artwork (because it raises a mere person to the level of an idol from their point of view), that won’t preclude your from artistic pursuits. It just means that you’d likely put all your effort into pattern, and design and form. And in cultures descendant from Moorish traditions, that is the case. This is a cultural difference which until that moment was unknown to our gust agent so knowledge was acquired. Something which once again proved that Disney is not just as escapist diversion, but also a potential learning experience.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Good stuff.

We had “ressies” for something that was completely new…

To us at least…

Via Napoli

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

Of the table service restaurants in the WS, this one gets high ratings from nearly all my compatriots and especially so in the grub-for-your-buck category. That is if you stick with the pizza which is cooked up in those wood fired ovens back there. We ordered up a couple of different pies and dug in…

The verdict?

Meraviglioso!!

Definitely high ratings from this corner. Glad you guys enjoyed it as much as we did.

At that point they noticed a somewhat disturbing fact: Test Track had apparently broken down and was closed for the time being. OK, that happens, but the Imagineers are usually pretty quick to get their attractions back up and running so I wasn’t worried just yet. After dinner though, we checked again and found that there was still no traffic out on the loop. That was not boding well, but we still had a while before our FP return time. Just keep positive thoughts.

:headache:

"Spirit Beasts: From Ancient Stories to Anime Stars"

(of course you could have just read the sign in the last picture and known that)

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but... :rolleyes1

It was interesting to read through the descriptions of each beast and then see what bits were used in the modern character drawings. Seeing this exhibit helped explain (to me at least) some of the reasons why Anime characters are rendered with such exaggerated and even nonsensical features. To me they still look ridiculous for the most part, but now at least I understand why that is.

Glad it was edu-ma-cational. Can't say I'm a big fan of anime either. I'm glad there are reasons for why things are the way they are, but there are still some things you dig, and some you don't. Like auto-tune.:scared1:

The reason I found this interesting is because the vast majority of it has no English translations of any type on the labels; adventure eating at its finest. If you want to know what it is you’ve got your mitts on you’re going to either have to puzzle it out based on the cryptic illustrations or identify it from what little of the contents you can see through the packaging…

When I took the Ben & Jerry's tour in Vermont they said they had a hard time selling Chunky Monkey in Japan. The reason was that it translated to "Chunks of Monkey". :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Some of it was straight forward; like “Pocky” (sort of a very thin chocolate covered bread stick), or the Ginger candies we purchased (which resembled butterscotch more than anything else, but with flecks of chopped ginger mixed in). Much of the rest of it however was a mystery but there were things that clearly looked like a bad idea and thus were more easily avoided.

This sounds like candy straight out of Harry Potter.

Along the way the boy’s online app was still saying that TT was closed for repairs.

Not Good…

Turns out that the answer to that question is: Nope…

When we go there, Test Track was indeed closed and the CM with the unfortunate job of turning folks away also had to relay the fact that they were pretty sure it wouldn’t be opening back up again that day.

Sigh...

A little while later, we made the trek to “Ol’ Man Island” and melted into the nearly perfect waters of the resort’s feature pool…

I think that's one of the better pools on property.

yikes not plan y -14. That hasn't been used since the helsinki incident. The gull is yours.

Ahhh yes, Operation Rodeo…
The Cathcart affair. I remember it well.
Once Y-14 is in effect, it will make Helsinki look like a tea party.

Blackhawk on ulkomailta. Käyttö: Illallinen Out tehdään.Gull ei ole enää ongelma.

I'm just glad I was sitting down when I read that line.

I’m shocked… Shocked!

Any belly dancers? :rolleyes1

If we’d had a ressi for the Restaurant Marrakesh, the answer would have been yes.
But…

You just hit the jackpot! :thumbsup2

::yes::
Well… except for the obvious lack of belly dancers of course.

Only a sucker would go there and not order pizza.

It does seem a counterproductive choice.

And even if there is plenty of top notch pizza in your neck of the woods, it is still wonderful!!!!

Yep!
Because it’s well made
And it’s at Disney
And that’s really all ya’ need to know.

I thought this latest refurb was supposed to improve the reliability of that particular ride... :rolleyes1

Thought the same thing, but really it’s just the same ride with lots of neon
(oh wait, I wasn’t supposed to say that yet… but it’s not like we didn’t enjoy it once we finally got to ride it.)

Pit stop at La Cava del Tequila????

Not a fan of Tequila, but alcohol will be making many appearances during the rest of the week.
Sadly, just not right now…

Scary, but I agree...

Nemesis of not…
there are just some undeniable and fundamental truths that have to be accepted.

Ok, sounded more like you were stuck at the video game section of Innoventions. Glad this thing is back on track.

For now, but it will go awry again in just a moment.

Candy Roulette! :lmao:

Exactly!
Choose wisely…
This is a game that you can loose and with quite dire consequences.

Well, quite possible. But more likely...

Yah… I knew that “more likely” was pretty much going to be “absolutely”,
But I was trying to be positive at the time.

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: Missing Rope Drop and then bailing on the park mid day??? What a waste of a park day. :rolleyes1

Waste? No…
Inefficient? Yes.
Young guys don’t always make the best decisions, and we were letting them call the shots today.
Latter in the week, we will leave them to their own devises and allow them reap the full impact of the choices, but for today I was ok with the decision. I’d have liked to head off to a different park, but they really wanted to swim, and the heat was truly oppressive, so that notion won out. Actually, we had more tickets on this trip then we had days in which to use them (really), so I wasn’t all that upset by the less then efficient usage of the time available. Trust me; they’ll do better as the week progresses.

:thumbsup2 About time you figure that detail out.

I know that detail… it’s everyone else that must be convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt.
And today’s adventure succeeded in doing just that.

Famous last words.

At least I chose famous words

That was actually a decent plan, except the plan was for him to stay there.

Yah, someone dropped d the ball on that part of the plan.
I’ll talk to Agent K and see is we can’t get his visa lifted.
If we can’t “loose” him in the DPRK, then maybe we can force him back to Solaxia

Speechless, I see.

Always like to keep my audience riveted.

I'd really like to spend a lot more time rummaging around all of the WS pavilions. Some of the best details in Disney World.

We will do just that later on.

The best day I had this trip was when I let the boys choose to head off on their own fool’s errand and allow me to actually “date” my wife at Disney for the first time in twenty years.

But that’s on another day and in a future chapter…

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Good stuff.

Yep.
Walt and his successors have always been good at actually offering a learning component along with the entertainment part of it. It’s that whole “spoon full of sugar” thing that drives most everything Disney does.

You better believe it!

Definitely high ratings from this corner. Glad you guys enjoyed it as much as we did.

Very high on our list now.
Especially if you “trying” to watch you OOP expenses.

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but... :rolleyes1

And bypass an opportunity to smack me on the head with a great big helping of obvious…
You’re slipping my friend.

Come to think of it, Andy didn’t thump me on that one either…
He may be in need of serious medical attention.

Glad it was edu-ma-cational. Can't say I'm a big fan of anime either. I'm glad there are reasons for why things are the way they are, but there are still some things you dig, and some you don't. Like auto-tune.:scared1:

Auto-Tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zRedlight_zps87e1c197.gif

As a musician, I’d like to say the following about that particular development…
(As a PSA: pleas hide your children’s eyes from this point on… thank you.)

evilgrin0025.gif

anim_04.gif
mad0177.gif

emoticon-misc-005.gif
anim_21.gif

tuzki-bunny-emoticon-027.gif

When I took the Ben & Jerry's tour in Vermont they said they had a hard time selling Chunky Monkey in Japan. The reason was that it translated to "Chunks of Monkey". :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Having seen some of what’s defined as a snack in Japan…
I’d have thought that they might see this as a good thing.

This sounds like candy straight out of Harry Potter.

We’ll be traveling over to Hogsmead latter on in the festivities and I’ve got to tell ya’
The Japan pavilion has got them whooped when it comes to bizarre edibles.

But on the up side…
Ellen’s Energy Adventure was still closed!
party:

I think that's one of the better pools on property.

Agreed… It is simple, but well laid out.
And never seemed to be overly crowded.
We actually did spend pretty much the rest of the day lounging about here.
And enjoyed it immensely.

Rob, please forgive me. I somehow lost my subscription to your thread and after I updated my TR I was reading Mark's TR I think and saw your screenname and wanted to shoot myself.

I don't blame you for taking that boat over...it was very hot in Disney this summer. I'm with you...I can spend a lot of time in Morocco just looking at the tiles, etc. It amazes me the work that goes into it.

W have yet to eat at Via Napoli; mainly because pizza and I don't always agree these days (it's heck getting old) and haven't wanted to tempt fate. But it all looks very yummy.

I love that store in Japan...so much to see. They have these little boxes of cookies that in the US used to be called Koala Yummies which I've not seen here in years; they have the similar package in that Japan store and I keep telling myself I'm going to bring a box home to the boys and see if they are the same from their youth.

Sorry that Test Track was closed for the day. We had ungrateful "Soarin" fastpass recipients on our girls trip in June, but our August trip, as I just posted in my TR, the newlyweds were very happy when we gave them to them.

Swimming in a pool on a hot summer day? Can't top it in my opinion.

Can't wait to hear what this betrayal is...but I have a feeling I might know.

Hello! [Hello… Hello… Hello… ]

Anybody in here? [in here… in here… ]

My gracious, would you just look at all the dust and cob webs. What a mess.
I’m surprised the Mods haven’t condemned the place already.

Well… at the risk of stating the obvious, it seems that I’ve not been paying proper attention to this excuse for a TR. Not at all to be sure. I could quote Jake Blues here and decry that it wasn’t my fault…

But that ain’t necessarily so.

Truth is, I got busy doing other things. First we packed up our young’en and shipped him off to a university a couple hundred miles up into the mountains from here. Shortly after that, we came to the conclusion that we could no longer afford both that education and the fairly large house we were living in at the time. The sale of that property and subsequent move to smaller more affordable digs required much of my time so extracurricular activities (meaning anything that didn’t pay a commiserate wage) had to be sidelined. Then came the Christmas holidays, followed by inordinate amounts of actual work required by my employers at the beginning of the year… and… and… and…

Well you got the idea.

I admit it. I’ve been slacking off.

Shockingly though, I finally seem to have found a bit of time to consider doing unnecessary tasks for no reason beyond simply wanting to. A luxury I’ve not seen in a good while. That got me to thinking (which is generally a bad thing). Since I still have a few pictures, and I still have all my notes, and I still (mostly) remember our last trip to the World… why not pick back up a try to finish this TR.

A bad idea I know.

Do I expect any of you to come back and start reading along?

Nope, but I think I’ll go on ahead and try to finish it off anyway.

For those that do wish to read and comment: welcome back and have at it.
For those that don’t and all of you in general: sorry about the state I allowed this thread to get into.

But for now I think I’ll give this story one more shot at completion.
We’ll see how that goes.

Chapter 4: Betrayal

Part 1: Playing with Fire​

Good morning Mr Goof.
Our organization is increasing aware that there are now venues of amusement apart from those in the “Known World” of the greater Orlando area. It has farther been determined that the possibility exists that said venues may even contain high caliber attractions with the potential for offering excitement to the masses that could rival those developed within the Land of Mouse.

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to renounce your exclusive citizenship, voluntarily venture beyond our borders, infiltrate the largest of these rival satellite settlements, and determine the extent to which they may be a threat to our ordered way of life. You will be responsible for your own logistics and security during this operation as the Secretary of State will disavow any knowledge of your actions should you or any member of your team be captured or killed.

Good luck Goof

This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

C04-102_zpsf4efbb3b.jpg

Off the reservation

Let me start this section of the tale by going a smidgen off topic
(imagine that).

Within the confines of my family there is a long history of not making it to rope drop. Not surprisingly, this coincides with a long history of suffering the consequences of that fact. This is not my doing your honor. I’m generally up and moving early regardless as I never really sleep well when traveling in the first place. My compatriots, on the other hand, tend to take just a little bit longer to get organized then any of them generally think they will. The boys in particular, both being 100% teenager, have a difficult time interacting with conscientious prior to about one of-the-clock… post meridiem. As such, anything resembling “early” is always a problem for them. You saw the results of these facts in how events progressed during our previous days in The World. That may be the way things normally go, but today a late start won’t do.

Today we had a different mission…

A Top Secret Mission…

We were about to betray Disney.

C04-103_zpsea7f1246.jpg

Believe it or not, we actually accomplish the death defying feat of getting everyone up, ready and in the car just as the sun was breaking over the eastern horizon. Moments after that astronomical phenomenon, we were headed east to great our nearest star’s visible radiant spectrum. For the first time ever during a Disney vacation, I purposely drove off property, in mid trip, to take on someone else’s theme park.

Sacrilege; I know. Worse yet…
we were headed for the dark side.

C04-104_zps4f6249c3.jpg

Universal Studio’s is fairly easy to get to from WDW. Just hop back on to I-4 (as if you were already returning to the drudgery and reality that is your normal accursed work-a-day life) and mosey eastward to Exit-75A. A left, a right and you’re at the main gate being shaken down for cash or a credit card in order to gain entry. Surprisingly a passport isn’t required. They’ll let any hoodlum in this joint. Even so, may I recommend that you go ahead and bribe the officials here by paying a few extra bucks for the preferred parking? It’s really in your best interest. Getting into either of Universal’s parks requires that you first hike all the way through City Walk, their rather extensive shopping district. So the less trudging you have to do between that starting point and your chosen mode of transportation (regardless of direction) the better. This will pay dividends later on I assure you.

C04-105_zpsb5a75a6e.jpg

We arrived at the massive atrium that separates the parking decks from “Shopping World” just as the ropes were dropped. An excellent bit of timing and a great start considering that we tend to always be behind the curve in the mornings. Our choice for the first half of the mission was to infiltrate the less urban part of this rouge nation…

C04-106_zps71387962.jpg

We’d acquired forged entry documents prior to our arrival via Undercover Tourist so getting by the security detail at the “Port of Entry” was a quick and painless affair. Like Disney the first thing you encounter here is a main street full of shops and diversions. Unlike Disney… this ain’t a depiction of Moulin Missouri’s circa 1901 Main Street.

C04-107_zpsce10c578.jpg

C04-108_zpsc5dec624.jpg

Science Gone Wrong

Perusing Universal’s sanitized variation on an Algerian bazar was not a part of our mission parameters at the time. Nope, we needed to take advantage of our early arrival and immediately begin search operations. This morning, we were looking for mutants; things that had been irrevocably altered by uncontrollable scientific tragedies and then given new life by finding ways of exploiting the deformities that had befallen them. Starting with this one….

C04-109_zps4e1e2e73.jpg

C04-110_zpsb5a5c0e9.jpg

Disney has several very fine rollercoasters (to be sure), but nothing like this one. This requires a slightly different mindset; a more callous disregard for life and limb. Here, the back story is vague to non-existent, theming is minimal apart from paint color (that’s “colour” for those of you from outside the States). Here, the queue experience and guest interaction opportunities are pretty much zero (and as such it was mighty fortuitous indeed that we’d arrived early enough to quite literally walk onto the beast).

But… and this is crucial… but…

Here, the ride experience is mind alteringly stunning.

We’re talking absolute… unadulterated… unapologetic… THRILS!

C04-111_zps86eca367.jpg

The Hulk is categorized as a “launched steel multi-inversion coaster”. The builder was the venerable coaster engineers at Bolliger & Mabillard and despite being better than a decade old now it’s still one of the highest rated thrashers out there. The most unique bit (apart from simply being monstrous) is the lift hill… errrr… more rather make that “Launch hill”. As opposed to a conventional chain lift or even a horizontal launch track (like that found on the equally exciting RnRC back in the homeland) this one uses induction motors to accelerate the train through a 40-ish degree up-angled launch tunnel from near zero to 40 mph (64 km/h) in approximately two seconds. Yes, I said: 2 seconds.

C04-112_zps16104cf7.jpg

If you look fairly close at that last image you’ll also see that once you hit the daylight (and long before your eyes will be able to adjust) it immediately embarks on a zero-g roll. While still climbing! The first drop, once you reach it, then stretches 105 feet (32 m) back down and then straight back up into a cobra roll. From there you’ll ultimately encounter a total of seven inversions with elements that include two more vertical loops, two subterranean dives, two corkscrews and an ultimate top speed of 67 miles per hour (108 km/h). Two minutes-fifteen and 3,700 feet (1,100 m) latter; you’re back in the station. Well… your body is anyway. Your innards will catch up with you later on in the day.

If you love coasters, this is an unqualified must; a moral imperative. If you don’t like coasters, I suggest you screw-up whatever courage you can muster and do this one anyway. If you survive it, nearly everything else you‘ll ever encounter will be but mere child’s play.

C04-113_zpsb4fc9302.jpg

Once the guys had collectively regained a reasonable modicum of control over our ambulatory skills
(Tamara had wisely chosen to steer far clear of the guaranteed mayhem being offered up by the Hulk)
we continued our trek deeper into “Marvel Superhero Island”.

Hummmm… since Disney now owns much of Marvel, I wonder if the theming will need to ultimately change over here in the nether world?

C04-114_zps94275ac0.jpg

Ehhh… We’ll worry about that later on.

OK, back to the mission. We continued onward through the relatively deserted streets…

C04-115_zpsedac8180.jpg

All seemed quiet. Too quiet.
Up until we got into the vicinity of the downtown headquarters of the Daily Bugle.
Then the Spidey Sences shot off the scale…

C04-116_zps76a90892.jpg

There is far more back story to this attraction. It’s considerably more Disney like in most aspects and yet completely different from anything back On World. The closest comparison would be to TSM in that it’s a motion based 3D dark ride. This ride vehicle however, while lacking weaponry, is attached to a track and gimbal system more reminiscent of the workings behind rides like Dinosaur over at AK. The queue is fairly well themed as well, but we experienced very little of it as we were still early enough to pretty much be walking strait onto this one.

Ahhhhh, the benefits of actually getting one’s keester up early during a trip to Orlando.

Once you acquire your 3D glasses you are unceremoniously dubbed a cub reporter, loaded into the Bugle’s newfangled custom newsgathering vehicle known as “The Scoop” and sent straight off into the bowels of the grimy city. Meanwhile, the evil “Sinister Syndicate” has already captured the Statue of Liberty with the aid of a purloined anti-gravity gun (and you’ll be feeling the effect of that device soon enough). Now it’s up to Spidey and you (God help us) to save Lady Liberty while surviving an onslaught of diabolical attacks from the likes of Doc Oct, Scream, Electro, Hydro-Man, and the Hobgoblin. The whole experience is visually effective and even physically immersive. Almost extremely so, in fact (Tamara had to close her eyes once or twice I’m told). It’s also s ride not to be missed if you have a mind to venture over to the dark side.

Here there be dragons…

C04-117_zpsac1f77e7.jpg

We’d already knocked out two of the most important attraction in IOA and had yet to encounter anything that resembled a crowd or even a serious queue wait. And this was despite the fact that while we were on site very early, all of the guests that were staying at one of Universal’s hotels had already been in the park for an hour prior to our being allowed through the gates. We walked through Toon Lagoon and then clear across Jurassic Park while experiencing this same level of under crowding…

C04-118_zpsf0a0e7c6.jpg

C04-119_zps2b919911.jpg

We even had time to stop for a photo-op. Being as we no longer have young children who were completely up for a bit of play acting, the results were underwhelming and hardly worth showing you (the photography’s not all that impressive either).

OK… you talked me into it, but don’t say I didn’t warn ya’.

C04-120_zps5c5bc926.jpg

“My Gawd this is sooooo lame…
go on ahead and take the bloody picture already so we can get this over with.
Sheeese….”

Nothing else to see here folks, move along… move along.

And that we did.

It was just on the other side of Dino world here that we found all the rest of that days park guests. And I do mean pretty much all of them. They were right where I suspected I’d find them. Clogging up every last square inch of “Hogsmead” and the “Wizarding World of Harry Potter”…

C04-121_zps89f631fd.jpg

We’d been warned about this phenomenon. Granted, the newest land at any theme park will always draw the greatest crowd. But combining something with this much cultural caché along with what may arguably be the most amazing new attraction to come along in many years, then it’s a safe bet you’re going to encounter a veritable madhouse. The vast bulk of the folks here were clogging up the queues for Olivander’s Wand Shop and for a chance to ride a broomstick through the Forbidden Journey. That second one being something we also wanted very much to experience but at better than two hours wait already, that wasn’t going to be happening right now. Not to worry… We won’t be heading back home without taking that flight. It was just going to have to wait for later on in the trip.

There was an upside to this madness though. The crowd for the “Journey” meant that an older attraction was now being seriously undervalued. A first line coaster that actually predated the area’s make over. One that was a righteous thrill seeker’s destination long before Rowling’s prodigy appeared on the scene. It now simply sported a new name…

C04-122_zps07f553ec.jpg

The Dragon Challenge

This isn’t one but two “inverted coasters” also referred to as “flying coasters” that are heavily intertwined. Another Bolliger & Mabillard design, this beast has been in operation since IOA originally opened. First dubbed “Dueling Dragons” it once anchored the “The Lost Continent” section of the park. For much of the ride's history, the trains would be dispatched simultaneously, providing three near-miss encounters along the courses. Unfortunately a couple of injuries related to loose objects hitting people forced the lawyers to get involved. No good ever comes of that and this instance follows suit (so to speak). Result? The roller coasters no longer duel. Sad, but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t still a blast to ride.

Currently the theming is based on the “Tri-Wizard Tournament” depicted in the fourth of the Potter novels. And that theming and queue experience is actually quite excellent. You’ll encounter such things as the enchanted Ford Angelia that has long since turned wild and even the Goblet of Fire; the impartial adjudicator that got Harry into the mess in the first place.

C04-123_zpsfe273499.jpg

But enough of that stuff… what about the coasters!

Well like I said, there are actually two of them given names again taken from the books. The Hungarian Horntail, wearing the blue livery of the former Ice Dragon, will be on your right as you make it into the loading station. And in the red corner, standing in for what was once the Fire Dragon we now find a depiction of the Chinese Fireball.

C04-124_zps32a3c360.jpg

Both sides offer a separate line specifically for grabbing the front seat of each train. You’ll be cooling your heels a bit longer for that experience of course, but with the overall wait time as short as it was we felt that extra perk was well worth the investment. And we were correct in that assumption. On this type of coaster, the train is suspended from an overhead rail rather than running along tracks. So basically your feet are dangling out in the void. This set up gives your brain and overall senses an implied sensation of flying through the air. Or maybe it’s more like uncontrollably hurtling through space, but either way, the experience is a roller coaster lover’s delight.

Wann’a see what it’s like from the front row?
Here’s a video showing a run from either side…

You can use that to determine which Dagon you wish to slay once you get there.
Or you could just do both if you have time.

Us? Well…
we were riding the Fireball.

It gets a solid 4.5 out of 5 on my awesomeness scale. Could we have done both sides? Well yah, but there were other things that needed doin’ that day and Max assures me that the red coaster was the better choice if you had to pick only one. I’ll trust him on that observation. While I’d never set foot in this park until today, he’s actually been here before and ridden both dragons several times each. But that’s a different story from a long ago and far away time (way back in middle school to be precise). I’ll leave it to him to tell that tale to his kids when he gets around to it.

Next up: Talking to Rocks

Followed by copious amounts of wind, fire, water, confrontation, destruction, interplanetary travel,
You know… the usual stuff.

Hello! [Hello… Hello… Hello… ]

Anybody in here? [in here… in here… ]

ZZZZZZzzzzz...

Huh? What?

What day is it? What date?

WHAT YEAR?!?!?!

Truth is, I got busy doing other things. First we packed up our young’en and shipped him off to a university a couple hundred miles up into the mountains from here. Shortly after that, we came to the conclusion that we could no longer afford both that education and the fairly large house we were living in at the time. The sale of that property and subsequent move to smaller more affordable digs required much of my time so extracurricular activities (meaning anything that didn’t pay a commiserate wage) had to be sidelined. Then came the Christmas holidays, followed by inordinate amounts of actual work required by my employers at the beginning of the year… and… and… and…

I do not accept excuses. I'll just have to find myself another giant, that's all.

Well you got the idea.

I admit it. I’ve been slacking off.

The truth comes out.

For those that do wish to read and comment: welcome back and have at it.
For those that don’t and all of you in general: sorry about the state I allowed this thread to get into.

Persons attempting to find a point in this narrative...oh, wait, I used that quote already.

Within the confines of my family there is a long history of not making it to rope drop. Not surprisingly, this coincides with a long history of suffering the consequences of that fact. This is not my doing your honor. I’m generally up and moving early regardless as I never really sleep well when traveling in the first place. My compatriots, on the other hand, tend to take just a little bit longer to get organized then any of them generally think they will. The boys in particular, both being 100% teenager, have a difficult time interacting with conscientious prior to about one of-the-clock… post meridiem. As such, anything resembling “early” is always a problem for them.

C'mon, people! You can sleep when you're dead!

We were about to betray Disney.

C04-104_zps4f6249c3.jpg

:eek:

michael-scott-no.gif

We arrived at the massive atrium that separates the parking decks from “Shopping World” just as the ropes were dropped. An excellent bit of timing and a great start considering that we tend to always be behind the curve in the mornings.

Impressive. :darth:

Unlike Disney… this ain’t a depiction of Moulin Missouri’s circa 1901 Main Street.[/QUOET]

Really? :rotfl:

This morning, we were looking for mutants; things that had been irrevocably altered by uncontrollable scientific tragedies and then given new life by finding ways of exploiting the deformities that had befallen them.

three-eyed-fish-simpsons.gif

Disney has several very fine rollercoasters (to be sure), but nothing like this one. This requires a slightly different mindset; a more callous disregard for life and limb.

And a willingness to use it!

Here, the back story is vague to non-existent, theming is minimal apart from paint color (that’s “colour” for those of you from outside the States).

Pretty much exhibit "A" for why I prefer Disney.

If you love coasters, this is an unqualified must; a moral imperative. If you don’t like coasters, I suggest you screw-up whatever courage you can muster and do this one anyway. If you survive it, nearly everything else you‘ll ever encounter will be but mere child’s play.

Hmmm...I like coasters, but not the ones that are actively trying to murder me.

Hummmm… since Disney now owns much of Marvel, I wonder if the theming will need to ultimately change over here in the nether world?

I'm sure the lawyers will have something to say about that.

The queue is fairly well themed as well, but we experienced very little of it as we were still early enough to pretty much be walking strait onto this one.

Ahhhhh, the benefits of actually getting one’s keester up early during a trip to Orlando.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Now it’s up to Spidey and you (God help us) to save Lady Liberty while surviving an onslaught of diabolical attacks from the likes of Doc Oct, Scream, Electro, Hydro-Man, and the Hobgoblin. The whole experience is visually effective and even physically immersive. Almost extremely so, in fact (Tamara had to close her eyes once or twice I’m told). It’s also s ride not to be missed if you have a mind to venture over to the dark side.

That one does sound pretty cool.

We even had time to stop for a photo-op. Being as we no longer have young children who were completely up for a bit of play acting, the results were underwhelming and hardly worth showing you (the photography’s not all that impressive either).

:rotfl2: The lack of enthusiasm is palpable.

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.

Not to worry… We won’t be heading back home without taking that flight. It was just going to have to wait for later on in the trip.

Whew. I was getting worried there.

For much of the ride's history, the trains would be dispatched simultaneously, providing three near-miss encounters along the courses. Unfortunately a couple of injuries related to loose objects hitting people forced the lawyers to get involved. No good ever comes of that and this instance follows suit (so to speak).

Sigh...:sad2:

So basically your feet are dangling out in the void. This set up gives your brain and overall senses an implied sensation of flying through the air. Or maybe it’s more like uncontrollably hurtling through space, but either way, the experience is a roller coaster lover’s delight.

Or maybe it's uncontrollable terror and agony, followed by nausea. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Still, I'm glad you guys were having fun.

My gracious, would you just look at all the dust and cob webs. What a mess.
I’m surprised the Mods haven’t condemned the place already.
Oh the humanity!!! :crazy2:

Shockingly though, I finally seem to have found a bit of time to consider doing unnecessary tasks for no reason beyond simply wanting to. A luxury I’ve not seen in a good while.
Welcome back to the land of slacking off! :thumbsup2

Let me start this section of the tale by going a smidgen off topic
(imagine that).
Yep... it is good to have you back... :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

For the first time ever during a Disney vacation, I purposely drove off property, in mid trip, to take on someone else’s theme park.
The nerve... :rolleyes1

Here, the ride experience is mind alteringly stunning.

We’re talking absolute… unadulterated… unapologetic… THRILS!
::yes:: And I can't get enough of that particular ride.

Well… your body is anyway. Your innards will catch up with you later on in the day.
Unless you left them on one of those poor suckers walking around near the tracks.

We’d already knocked out two of the most important attraction in IOA and had yet to encounter anything that resembled a crowd or even a serious queue wait.
That's cause they all headed over to Potter land or whatever it is called before the lines got long.

Rookies... :rolleyes1

They were right where I suspected I’d find them. Clogging up every last square inch of “Hogsmead” and the “Wizarding World of Harry Potter”…
Sounds about right... Had you gone straight to Potter, you could have quickly ridden it and then hauled @$$ over to Hulk and Spidey and still done them with little to no wait. Then go back to walk around and explore the Potter theming later. Just sayin' :rolleyes1

One that was a righteous thrill seeker’s destination long before Rowling’s prodigy appeared on the scene. It now simply sported a new name…
Meh... it's no Hulk...

You can use that to determine which Dagon you wish to slay once you get there.
Or you could just do both if you have time.
The choice seems obvious to me. :thumbsup2

ZZZZZZzzzzz...

Huh? What?

What day is it? What date?

WHAT YEAR?!?!?!

Now that we’ve got that cleared up….

I do not accept excuses. I'll just have to find myself another giant, that's all.

DID I MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOUR JOB IS AT STAKE?

The truth comes out.

There’s a truth here?

Persons attempting to find a point in this narrative...oh, wait, I used that quote already.

Yup, but the Chief of Ordnance, you see, he likes it to when other folks go a repeatin’ his words kind’a regular, so you can go on an finish it off if’n yus like.

C'mon, people! You can sleep when you're dead!

Keep that one handy.
You’re boys will be teens soon enough.

And a willingness to use it!

And they’re plenty willing.

Pretty much exhibit "A" for why I prefer Disney.

They do a better job in some places then in others, but we all know that no one tells a tale near as well as Walt’s folks.

Hmmm...I like coasters, but not the ones that are actively trying to murder me.

If you can deal with the RnRC, you can survive this one.
At least is not dropping you down a 13 story elevator shaft.

I'm sure the lawyers will have something to say about that.

They do love to hear themselves talk.

That one does sound pretty cool.

::yes:: and just wait till we got over to where it’s new born cousin resides.

:rotfl2: The lack of enthusiasm is palpable.
Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.

Like I said… You’re time a coming.
And time moves quicker than the object in those mirrors too.

Whew. I was getting worried there.

We’ll miss one or two things…
But that ain’t one of ‘em.

Or maybe it's uncontrollable terror and agony, followed by nausea. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Hay, it’s not a 57 minute version of IASW.
If it were, then we’d be talking terror, agony and nausea.
:crazy2:

Oh the humanity!!! :crazy2:

“Honest, it's just laying there, a mass of smoking wreckage…”

Welcome back to the land of slacking off! :thumbsup2

I like slacking off.
I need to get busy and do more of that.

Yep... it is good to have you back... :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Someone has to keep y’all off topic.
I’m just embracing the challenge.

The nerve... :rolleyes1

I’m a baaaaad boy.

::yes:: And I can't get enough of that particular ride.

That’s about the best all-around coaster I’ve encountered to be sure.
Way too much fun.
I like too much fun.

Unless you left them on one of those poor suckers walking around near the tracks.

Mark!
I think He’s talking about you here.

That's cause they all headed over to Potter land or whatever it is called before the lines got long.

Rookies... :rolleyes1

It pays to do your research.
It also pays to be a Dis veteran. If you can work those parks to your advantage, you can work any park to your advantage.

Sounds about right... Had you gone straight to Potter, you could have quickly ridden it and then hauled @$$ over to Hulk and Spidey and still done them with little to no wait. Then go back to walk around and explore the Potter theming later. Just sayin' :rolleyes1

Likely not. The onsite folks got into the park an hour ahead of the rest of the slobs and I believe nearly all of them were thinking that way. From what I’ve learned, it’s better to wait until closer to closing time when the crowd starts thinning out. That worked well for us latter on in this expedition at least.

Meh... it's no Hulk...

Granted, but I rather like suspended coasters; especially from the front row.

Chapter 4: Betrayal

C04-201_zps3760c2ff.jpg

Part 2: Close Calls​

As is true of any MI team in enemy territory, the possibility of being found out, or caught in the midst of some type of subversive act was an ever present concern. One thing working in our favor was the fairly large number of other park guests overtly sporting Disney clothing and paraphernalia. They were everywhere. Oddly I don’t remember seeing near so much of the reverse of this being true back over at The World. The random Minion tee shirt may be sited on a patron out in the World Showcase, but Mickey’s image, and yes… even the occasional set of mouse ears, could be readily found throughout Islands of Adventure. If I’m correct in this observation that fact must make the marketers at Universal absolutely wacky. For us it provided extra cover in that the local security forces would be paying more attention to those rouge elements then to the more nondescript rabble that we were attempting to pass ourselves off as.

But even still, danger lurked all around us.
The possibility of being trapped and in desperate need of finding some means of escape was an ever present danger.
Often one of our own making…

C04-202_zps0fc84c96.jpg

Did you ever have the feeling you were being watched?

That Bugs Bunny short up there has nothing to do with this TR.
(And you’d expect no less from me now would you?
It is dang funny though and provides the source material for the subtitle of the following section.
In any case you should consider yourselves lucky.
Rather than one of my normal off topic tangents, I could’a offered up a picture that had my ugly mug in it.
That would not have been good for any of us.

Now back to our original story of back stabbing already in progress
(along with the notion of being watched)…

By midmorning we’d already partaken of three of the four major “dry” attractions that are the main draw at Islands of Adventure. As for the several “wet” attractions on offer, we decided that walking through the parks the rest of the day soaking wet and with ill-fitting britches was a poor decision. Plans were already in the works to tackle those via a different method and during a separate incursion back into the park. For now, we’d already accomplished the day’s main objectives so it seemed like a good time to consider moving on toward the more urban side of The Dark Side.

Decision made, we left the madding crowd confined within WWoHP behind…

C04-203_zps9351349f.jpg

And immediately got side tracked… I mean headed toward the front gates via the somewhat calmer part of the park now referred to as the Lost Continent.

C04-204_zps99ca678b.jpg

This is kind’a like Adventureland back at the MK. Kind’a… But rather than being heavily based on the South Pacific, here he theming is more Mediterranean and North Africa in style. Instead of thatched palm frond roofs and a circle of great tikis presented for visual interest and photo-ops, you get faux stone and stucco structures, date-palms and carved statues resembling (and somewhat garishly at that) ancient Greek deities…

C04-205_zpsfb46c698.jpg

Sad to say though, not a Dole Whip in site.
On the up side there are no singing parrots anywhere to be seen here either, but…
The rocks will talk to you.

Well… one of them will at least. Specifically, that one pretending to be a fountain in the middle of that last picture there. This guy…

C04-206_zpse9a78413.jpg

Well not the guy… as you can see that’s one of our operatives cleverly engaging the mark in conversation designed to uncover closely guarded secretes (like when the 3pm parade would be starting if indeed they actually had a 3pm parade). No I mean the rock. The “Mystic Fountain” works a tiny bit like “Push” in that someone from a remote location is obviously controlling the thing (there’s no pixy dust ‘round here ya’ know). Unlike Push, it’s stationary and does it’s interaction by drawing pigeons… I mean park guests over to it and engaging in conversation. It’s pretty good at it as well. As evidenced by the fact that the rock learned more about our operative then our operative learned about IOA operations and procedures. Then just to add a bit of insult to any verbal injuries sustained, this talking rock will also try to dowse you as you’re walking away by increasing the power of the water stream. So be on your guard.

Another thing you won’t find here is pirates. Well, actually that’s not true. Right behind the talking rock is the entrance to a live action “stunt show” (ala Indiana Jones over At HS) using Sinbad as its inspiration (which I suppose does count as a pirate). However, the reviews aren’t impressive for that so we continued on down the road a bit. What we found next was the ruins of a temple once dedicated to Poseidon (supposedly) …

C04-207_zps1291b639.jpg

Foolishly, we ventured in and found ourselves having to escape from imminent peril and potential doom

Bwahahahahahaha

Naaaaa… nothing like that really. What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate…. Errrr….
No, no no, I meant to say: What we’ve got here is an attraction called
“Poseidon's Fury – Escape from the Lost City”.

Actually, Max had done this one before and said it was “not bad”. Well, that’s not a stellar endorsement there, but being “not bad” and also being as they were about to start the next show in a minute or two as well… we gave it a shot. This ain’t a thrill ride by any means. It’s more story emersion (with a considerable amount of special effects). It’s closer to the type of entertainment that Universal was offering when it first opened. At that time the idea was that you became part of a film or adventure. There is an actor/cast member that sets up the story line. The progression of that story includes the unforeseen escape of an evil deity, plunges into total darkness, water vortices, fire, cannons and explosions. Not bad. In the finale Poseidon himself is revived so he can save your sorry butt from almost certain annihilation…
you know, the usual stuff.

The Cast Member… hummm, do they use that terminology at US/IOA?
Probably not so…

The “actor” that was playing the part of an aerologist’s assistant was actually very entertaining during the crowd interaction parts of the show. I’d tell you the “flashy shoes” story to illustrate this point, but I fear that would end up being what we call a “location joke”. Meaning that it was only funny if you were there at the time. As for the attraction in general, the whole thing is relatively entertaining “if”… you have the time. However, I advise against investing any lengthy wait for it. If you were to partake though, you may just end up with your own “location joke” that you won’t be able to relate to anyone else.
So it does have that going for it.

From there we got back on track headed generally toward the main gate. Our wandering then took us into the Seuss Landing section of the park…

C04-208_zpsa1f51eb4.jpg

Not having “young” children, we really didn’t rummage around this part of park much aside from grabbing a couple of slushies with the Seuss-esk names of Moose juice and Goose Juice (not bad stuff… not a Dole Whip, but not bad). If you have pre-middle schoolers, this area has a decent amount to offer. If you have boys that are long past the “yard ape” stage of development (and well into their: “far too hip to suffer the rest of humanity” phase), then not so much. That being the case I’ll leave the reviews to folks that spent more quality time in these parts.

Consider it a hidden gem for you to discover on your own.

Uptown Shuffle

C04-209_zps2a309586.jpg

It was time for something different. We’d gotten to most of the high points at Islands of Adventure (and had a plan for getting to the rest of them later on in the course of our mission). It seemed a good time then for a bit of park hopping. No busses required at Universal (ain’t nary big enough for that). It’s just a relatively short stroll from one dark side…

C04-210_zpsf8009f42.jpg

to the other dark side…

C04-211_zps6f240f06.jpg

Now the original Universal Studios park is a place I have seen before. Twice… once way back when Tamara and I were relative newlyweds (and sans young’es), and once again when Max was around seven or eight. Both of those instances were a long time ago indeed. And the elder park on site has changed considerable since. Several of those changes are apparent just inside the front gate…

C04-212_zps1e65bf7f.jpg

C04-213_zps981732cb.jpg

The “Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket” and “Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem” are fairly new attractions and as one might expect extremely popular (note the 80 min wait time in that last picture there). The best way to deal with them is to hit ‘em first thing in the morning. Which… we did not do, ‘cause we were otherwise engaged as you know. We had a backup plan for getting onto the Rocket, but sadly the minion ride was deemed too much of a wait by the boys (and truthfully, mom and dad were indifferent). So we kept moving.

This would lead us to our first outright mistake of the day. That being an ill-advised right turn into an attraction that honestly needs to go. But hay, the wait was only five minutes… and it was air conditioned! So…
Well anyway, I’m sure that at one time possibly, the “attraction” based on the “Twister” film (from way back when my son was only a year old) was ummm… entertaining? These days though… you see… ummmm… well, at least when the cow flies by you smile for a moment or two but as for the rest of it… ummmm…

Ya’ know… I do believe it’s time to move along.

C04-214_zpsd756080c.jpg

OK, now that’s more like it!
Revenge of the Mummy is a dark-ride / roller coaster and a dang good one too. Imagine Big Thunder Mountain, in the dark and with a rogue mummified baddie using evil powers to try and steal your sole. There are a couple of theatrical stops along the way as well to advance the story a bit before you are again suddenly dropped onto the next section of the coaster. From the theming, to the film and hologram effects, to the part of the track that is in reverse, to the fake end of the ride, to the flaming ceiling descending down to destroy you …

C04-215_zps468ff566.jpg

To the final drops twist and turns and the actual end of the ride… This one delivers an excellent experience. And since it’s not brand new, the wait is often moderately painless as well.

There is one down side to this one though. The ride vehicle needs a bit of tweaking (which it likely won’t be getting). The angle of the back vs the seat of the hard benches is designed (I’m sure) to work at holding you safely while the train moves though it’s wild antics. But this angle is a bit odd and can be quite painful to the lower spine and the back of the knees depending on one’s hight and build. Being short can be a disadvantage here. That’s unfortunate, but myself, I’d tough it out to repeat the experience. My lovely wife won’t be enduring that unnecessary added pain in order to join me any time soon, but I’d do it.

Another note here while I’m stopped; if you can manage it, don’t be bring any bags, backpacks or loose bulky items into either of Universals parks (and consider not buying any knick-knacks until you’re ready to head out for the day). A number of the attractions won’t allow you to carry even so much as a small purse or even a hat into the show buildings. Universal is here to help though and there are free lockers near most of these more aggressive rides. The problem is that you have to get in line to make use of the electronic touch screens that control the allocation and retrieval of items within said lockers. The system works well enough and is free, but consumes time (which we’ve all only got just so much of) so be aware.

A Transformative Experience

C04-216_zpscb63b3f7.jpg

Thus far we’d escaped from a lackluster whirlwind, the wrath of the demonic Imhotep and even the madness of retrieving our paraphernalia from the free lockers, but there was one thing we could no longer out run… hunger. Time for some grub. Universal has a decent mix of CS and TS options and most of the general types of cuisine can be hunted down. From where we stood near the back of the “New York” section of the park though, the nearest place to get out of the heat and also have someone else do the serving for me happened to be…

C04-217_zpsa1accaa5.jpg

Finnegan’s Bar and Grill

The place appeared to be packed, but it turns out that we were able to walk up and get a table with only a ten minute wait. Now that’s one thing that don’t happen very often at Disney (unless we’re talking about the “Restaurant Marrakesh” in the Morocco pavilion… which is actually quite good… so you should go there sometime).

Hummm… I believe I wandered off topic again there.

Oh yah… Finnegan’s.

Upon simply walking into the building we were transformed from overheated park vets into calm, cool, relaxed tourists enjoying a boisterous Irish pub (or at least and Americanized and slightly sanitized recreation of such, but still…). Here, service was good, the bar is full service, beer is plentiful (though the choices are a bit mundane), and the food, if a might pricy, was quite tasty. Sandwiches were the order of the day for us. The fish sandwich was deemed to be quite nice and the various burgers were as good as burgers most anywhere else. I went after the “Tipperary Corned Beef “. Mustard, sautéed onions and melted Swiss over a good sized pile of brined roast on a pretzel roll. If you’re into such, and I am, that’s quite a good choice as well. Eleven-ish bucks per plate before ordering any drinks is somewhat steep, but for Orlando area in-park table service, not horrendous.

Our time amongst the Irish accomplished two important things. It got us off our feet for a well-deserved rest of the weary bones, and it sheltered us from that days prerequisite torrential poor down.

C04-218_zps308821f9.jpg

No sooner then we got set down, the sky opened up and dumped so much water on the park that you’d think your perpetually snockered uncle had crashed his ATV into the side of grandpa’s cut rate above ground swimming pool and flooded the family barbeque. An image worth at least a free tee-shirt from AFV if you happened to catch it on your cellphone, but a result that pretty much puts a damper on the festivities for a bit. We, however never even had to bust out so much as a poncho because it was all done and gone by the time we’d finished our meal. When we stepped back out into the park it was pretty much dry again. Although, the storm had transformed the air from blazing hot to oppressively humid (normal for the south in general but still not necessarily a change for the better).

At this point we encountered another transformation. The next block down from where we were standing had originally been part of the “Production Central” section of the park. Specifically it was “Soundstage 44” which in its history housed attractions the likes of “Hercules and Xena: Wizards of the Screen” and before that the “Murder, She Wrote Mystery Theatre”. Needless to say both of those were old style U.S. type fair that moved guests through a series of studios and demonstrated the process of producing a television show (with audience participation of course).

I’m pretty sure you’re morning the loss of those babies aren’t ya’?

That was when Universal wanted to be a place that put “you” into “their” movies. That… is no longer the image the park’s overlords wish to convey. They’ve decided, and rightly so might I add, that to survive in Orlando, they need to be the place to go for over the top thrill rides. With that in mind they built this…

C04-219_zpsb145e239.jpg

That’s the iconic centerpiece and main entrance to the ride that now consumes nearly that entire block:
“Transformers: the Ride-3D”.

This was brand-spanking-new when we were roaming around the park. So new in fact that it wasn’t officially going to be opened to the public until later in the week. However… they were in the midst of conducting a “soft opening” of the attraction and that meant we could be amongst the first to experience it for no cost beyond a fairly lengthy stand in a queue (and knowing they might shut it down at any moment).

Well… what would you do?

That’s what I thought, and we did the same.

This is a lot like the Spiderman attraction over at IOA, but bumped up a couple levels and transfused with copious amount of steroids. Like ‘Spidey”, it’s built around a 360 degree free moving gimbaled ride vehicle tracking through a show building. The interior of said building is festooned with multistory high video screens and various set pieces farther enhanced with light, sound and physical effects. It’s a tried and true system.

Story-wise: the Autobots are doing all in their power to protect the AllSpark from the Decepticons.

For the majority of you that are younger then I, that right there makes perfect sense and no farther explanation is required. For those of us that are my age or older (bless your hearts), its complete gibberish. Not to worry, it still requires no real explanation because the ride is simply a nonstop thrill a moment and you don’t need no stinckin’ explanation. Just accept that what you’ll see is a whole passel of robots fighting one-n-other while simultaneously destroying everything around you. Accept that as fact… and your there. Actually the ride vehicle stands in as one of these Autobots; one named “Evac” to be specific. You happen to be passengers aboard this fellow when all the ruckus commences. Early on in the proceedings the “Allspark” ends up in your position. From then on you’re just trying to protect this McGuffin from every mechanical villain ever concocted. Of course you have allies that are aiding you in the midst of the carnage. One of the more interesting aspects of the experience is that the track is actually two stories tall and uses elevators to move the ride-vehicle from one level to the next as the mayhem progresses. Along the way, you’ll be sprayed with water, enveloped in fog and accosted by blasts of hot air simulating the explosions that you miraculously succeeded in surviving.

All in all… a nice Sunday drive in the park.

Ahhh, the genital soothing tick of Geiger counters…

Another death defying close call navigated, it was time to move on. We moseyed through the San Francisco/Amity portion of the park. Well actually, just the San-Fran part of it. The “Amity” part of it, the home of the original “Jaws” ride experience, is no more. There was a little bit of disappointment in not being able to partake of that venerable old Universal standard, but change happens. At least we had all done that one before during previous incursions. As the group walked along by the 12-foot barricades then guarding the construction site, discussion turned to just what they might be up to. We now know precisely what was up as they were implementing another park transformation. The recreation of the literary Diagon Alley demanded by the unbelievable success of Potter World. At the time though, it was just a forest of tower cranes, girders and I-beams that could have become almost anything.

The next intact attraction on the agenda though was just up the path a bit…

C04-220_zps97e7f124.jpg

The MIB franchise of films are among my favorite for mindless entertainment.
And I was certainly up for giving this one a shot. But there’s a problem with the cat…

“What’s the problem with the cat?”

“It’s your problem”

“I hate the living.”

Unlike the coroner in that scene, for us it wasn’t a cat problem, or even a problem with the living. It was a time problem. The overlords were posting a wait of better than 90 of our earth type minutes for the MIB experience (so technically that would be a problem with living as the living were clogging up the queue at the time). Now, mom and dad were ok with this but decided to leave it up to the boys (a mistake that any parent really should know better than by this stage in the game). The boys had both done this one previously and in their opinion, it was a bit long to be standing for what thrills this now “older” ride had to offer. Well, we did let them call it, so sadly I can’t tell you much about that one beyond; I’ll have to go back sometime without young’ens in tow. The next thing on around the bend though was new to everyone in the squad. Even the slightly long 45 minute queue experience was not a deterrent. Good! We were now headed to an entirely different amusement park. One bathed in the soft afterglow of unshielded nuclear reactors…

Krustyland!

C04-221_zps95d79175.jpg

This one is another ride simulator but with older style mechanicals, meaning it’s stationary rather than on a motion track (less like Spidey, more like Star Tours). The video projection side of the equation though is state of the art. “The Simpsons Ride” occupies the same building that once housed the ‘Back to the Future” simulator ride. They’ve just replaced the 24 eight-passenger “Deloreans” with 24 eight-passenger “roller coaster trams”; each one in a separate viewing room.

The story goes like this: Krusty the Clown is choosing from amongst his esteemed park guests, the first family to ride his new "Thrilltacular: Upsy-Downsy Spins-Aroundsy Teen-Operated Thrillride". No surprise here, the Simpsons are chosen, but they then choose “these guys” (meaning you) to accompany them on the grand opening extravaganza. Once settled into the ride vehicle, the animation gets going as a Squeaky-Voiced Teen appears on a TV screen in the ride cabin. He informs you that you’re with him but you need to keep the screaming down so he can study for a math test, because if he does not get a C or higher, he will get kicked out of the audio-visual club. Of course, you aren’t with him. Sideshow Bob cuts off the teenager's signal and takes control of the ride. Now vengeance is his! Well, maybe… Anyway, Bob has escaped from prison, taken over Krustyland and plans to destroy it and you. Sounds like fun ehhh? He pulls a master control lever from the “thrilling” setting to “killing” and then your vehicle lifts up out of the room, into an IMAX video dome and basically from here all he!! breaks loose.

Wrecking balls will destroy the tracks ahead of you…
Evil mechanical pandas will attack you…
The POTC rip off ride collapses all-around you…
Killer wales become an issue (you can’t leave any competitor out of a good parody you know)…
A gigantic and radioactive “Maggie” will confuse you for a pacifier…
Kang and Kodos complicate things farther by turning the house
(that you only thought you had safely reached)
into Krusty's "Death Drop" ride.

I think you get the picture.

If not, then here’s the actual picture to check out!

Like all stationary simulators, this can bother those folks prone to sea sickness, the claustrophobic and those whose eyes don’t deal well with disorienting visual input combined with jarring motion…
like my wife…
who “saw” a couple parts of this with her eyes closed…
D’oh!

Just something to keep in mind.

Interestingly, this attraction doesn’t dump you directly into a gift shop. Near one… yes, but into one… no. How the designers slipped up on that I’m not certain, but at the time at least, this was true. Being good Disney vets, this somehow seemed wrong. I mean even Kang and Kodos know that all rides end in the gift shop. So we decided to correct this oversight by actually going into the one that was “near” the exit. Like lemmings joining the throngs, it just seemed like the thing to do. Besides a trip into the “Kwik-E-Mart” felt proper since we were supposed to be taking in that Springfield vibe. It’s a nice recreation actually. Apart from the general Simpson’s merchandise (some of which was right entertaining) you can also pick up some Lard Lad Donuts or a couple of Squishees if the mood strikes you.

Elsewhere in this section of the park one can even acquire a tumble full of Duff Beer…
That calls for a salute!

“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”

Woohoo!

Mop Up Operations

The next section of the park you’ll encounter once leaving Springfield is the “Kidzone”.
Great if you have kids.

I no longer have kids…

I have teens that the government has decreed are also adults.
Needless to say, our ersatz adults were not enthralled with the prospect of exploring kiddie world.

But there is one thing here that they would consent to…

C04-223_zpsce25292a.jpg

Yup… the ET Adventure.
Shocking I know. The paltry wait time may have weighed heavily on the decision. One of the oldest attractions in the park, it’s long past the glory days when crowds whiled away precious hours of their mortal existence in broiling queues for the chance to phone home. That doesn’t mean that it’s not worth a stop though. In the same sense that IASW is worth checking out.

Really…

Actually, it’s a bit more like Peter Pan then IASW in style. Mechanically speaking that is. This is a classic dark ride concept but the carriages are suspended from overhead tracks that will (after a while) take you above the visuals and displays. The other obvious difference (besides that lack of a Disney theme) it that the carriages are in the form of a group of bicycles rather than enchanted sailing ships. Imagine that.

The story line is simple. ET has to get back home again in order to save his own planet.
And you get to travel along with him…

Whoohoo…

It’s all good fun though.
The original “wow factor” built into this ride was that at the end of it, ET himself would personally wish you a fond farewell… by name…

Whoohoo?

Simple tech that.
They ask you for your name up front and plug that into the system once they know which bike you’ll be ridding. Of course what this means is that no one ever gives them their real name anymore. Obviously they won’t except things like “Monkey Butt” or “Squid Brains” as monikers (much to the dismay of every twelve year old boy that rides the thing convinced they were going to be the life of the party with that one), but they also certainly don’t bother checking your ID for verification (oh, and I did toned those names back there down a might from my original 12-year-old boy thoughts because this is a family TR after all). So anyway, what did we offer up as a nom de guerre? Why ‘Ricky’ and ‘Lucy’ of course. We’re old… remember (and it made momma smile so why not)? Afterward the boys confessed that they’d done the same thing… No… not chosen ‘Ricky’ and ‘Lucy’ (though on an odd level that would have been funny). Nope, they chose to let the Force be with them and went for ‘Luke’ and ‘Anacin’ instead.

Drowning our Sorrows

We had one last major plan for the day. Tackling the “Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit”! The newest steal coaster in the parks. It’s no Hulk, but still a good version of a type built by German manufacture Maurer Söhne known as a “Skyloop Coaster”.

C04-224_zpsd0967ce1.jpg

The name of the thing is a might lame in my opinion, but that doesn’t diminish the drops and loops one itty bit. Some of the unique elements this coaster offers up include an interesting ninety degree vertical lift hill, the fact that they record your reactions throughout the entire 1 minute 37 second ride (and will gladly sell you the video…. depending) and that each passenger can choose one out of thirty preselected songs to listen to during his or her own personal ride experience (but chose quick or it will chose for you).

We believed we had this one all figured out. Tam wasn’t going to partake this time around so we’d just leave all the lose paraphernalia with her. The two hour wait time was the next hurdle… no problem; we’d single ride it. We even knew how to go about accessing the “Hidden Song Selections” and therefore would not be forced to suffer through a lame tune from their caned short list of crappy, milk-toast, mass-market, commercial excuses for music.

This was going to be epic.

And it was.
Epic that is…

An epic fail.

What we did not know… is that after a certain point in the day (at least it was true on that day) the geniuses in charge of park guest relations would shut down the single rider line.

WHAT!
Surely, you have got to be kidding me here!

Nope… they weren’t kidding
(and don’t call them Shirley)
They don’t deserve the honor.

We hadn’t paid the extra dinero required for express passes so that wasn’t an option (and wouldn’t have helped much either). The choice was down to one seriously interminable wait in a hell queue or to consider coming back another day and hitting this one at rope drop. The second choice there seemed a far more reasonable solution to the problem. Didn’t make us less ticked off, but it was a more reasonable choice.

The sun was encroaching on the western horizon by this point and we’d pretty much accomplished everything that was both on our master list for the day and did not include a potentially lethal wait time.

Did we pull of a perfect covert operation here?
No, but a successful one… yes.

Time to pack it in. We roamed through the shops on the way back toward the main gate. The boys picked up a couple of dooloolys and we bid Universal a fond adieu.

For now.

The trip back to the car was uneventful but we were all quite glad that I’d at least pried my wallet open just enough to pay the extra couple of bucks needed to cut that hike down to size. I’ll consider that expense routinely when headed to Universal in the future. The return trip to Disney property was also uneventful and in short order we fell back into our temporary headquarters in the sylvan depths of POR’s Alligator Bayou. Some air-conditioning and soft drinks laced with a good swallow of properly aged rum were exactly the prescription for what ailed us. And by us, I mean the old folks in the group. A bit of horizontal relaxation on the bed may also have been called for. It’s entirely possible that some of us even took a bit of a nap for a short while there.

For a late dinner we climbed back into the car and made the short drive from the Bayou over to the sister resort at the French Quarter. I rather like the QS in the “Float Works” over there. Gumbo and beniegts were calling my name. We even corralled up a few extra bits of the puffed pastries to serve as part of the next morning’s breakfast offerings. After dinner the boys decided that they wanted to drown their sorrow a bit differently by hitting the pool. So they headed off to Ol’ Man Island to get wet. A good plan actually, and where I a might less tuckered by that time of the day, I might have trudged up there with ‘em. But they could use a bit of time away from the grownups and I could use some more rum and a bit of time snuggling with my lovely bride.

Both seemed good choices for ending up a good day.

Next up: Forgive us Father Mouse, for we have sinned…​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter