• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Goofy Identity (Just whose side are you on anyway?) - Compleated!

I'm going to join in :)

And a right grand :welcome: to you!

Glad to have you along.
Being as I let this one get into the deep freeze before finding time to get back to it, I’m surprised the Mods didn’t lock it. I’m more surprised given that track record, anyone else would want to join in. Thanks for surprising me and I hope to be a bit more, shall we say, “punctual” with the updates.

That Bugs Bunny short up there has nothing to do with this TR. /
I'm not sure you ever really need a good reason to post a Looney Tunes episode.

Sad to say though, not a Dole Whip in site.

I hate this place.

Then just to add a bit of insult to any verbal injuries sustained, this talking rock will also try to dowse you as you’re walking away by increasing the power of the water stream. So be on your guard.

On second thought, that's not half bad.

The progression of that story includes the unforeseen escape of an evil deity, plunges into total darkness, water vortices, fire, cannons and explosions. Not bad. In the finale Poseidon himself is revived so he can save your sorry butt from almost certain annihilation…
you know, the usual stuff.

Explosions work for me.

Consider it a hidden gem for you to discover on your own.

Or blow right past on your way to Harry Potter. :rotfl2:

This would lead us to our first outright mistake of the day. That being an ill-advised right turn into an attraction that honestly needs to go. But hay, the wait was only five minutes… and it was air conditioned!

This is also how people get stuck on IASW.

OK, now that’s more like it!
Revenge of the Mummy is a dark-ride / roller coaster and a dang good one too. Imagine Big Thunder Mountain, in the dark and with a rogue mummified baddie using evil powers to try and steal your sole. There are a couple of theatrical stops along the way as well to advance the story a bit before you are again suddenly dropped onto the next section of the coaster. From the theming, to the film and hologram effects, to the part of the track that is in reverse, to the fake end of the ride, to the flaming ceiling descending down to destroy you …

To the final drops twist and turns and the actual end of the ride… This one delivers an excellent experience. And since it’s not brand new, the wait is often moderately painless as well.

That one sounds pretty cool. Would it appeal to a hypothetical person who can't stand huge drops?:confused3

I went after the “Tipperary Corned Beef “. Mustard, sautéed onions and melted Swiss over a good sized pile of brined roast on a pretzel roll.

Sounds tasty. Pretzel rolls make just about any sandwich better.

Specifically it was “Soundstage 44” which in its history housed attractions the likes of “Hercules and Xena: Wizards of the Screen” and before that the “Murder, She Wrote Mystery Theatre”. Needless to say both of those were old style U.S. type fair that moved guests through a series of studios and demonstrated the process of producing a television show (with audience participation of course).

I’m pretty sure you’re morning the loss of those babies aren’t ya’?

Oh yeah, such a shame to see whats-his-face go.

However… they were in the midst of conducting a “soft opening” of the attraction and that meant we could be amongst the first to experience it for no cost beyond a fairly lengthy stand in a queue (and knowing they might shut it down at any moment).

Well… what would you do?

Shoot the hostage. Er, I mean, hop in line.

Story-wise: the Autobots are doing all in their power to protect the AllSpark from the Decepticons.

Um...sure. Just blow something up already.

Along the way, you’ll be sprayed with water, enveloped in fog and accosted by blasts of hot air simulating the explosions that you miraculously succeeded in surviving.

Sounds like fun!

Well actually, just the San-Fran part of it. The “Amity” part of it, the home of the original “Jaws” ride experience, is no more.

I do actually miss that one.

The boys had both done this one previously and in their opinion, it was a bit long to be standing for what thrills this now “older” ride had to offer. Well, we did let them call it, so sadly I can’t tell you much about that one beyond; I’ll have to go back sometime without young’ens in tow.

No Agents J and K? Not even a little bit?

The story goes like this: Krusty the Clown is choosing from amongst his esteemed park guests, the first family to ride his new "Thrilltacular: Upsy-Downsy Spins-Aroundsy Teen-Operated Thrillride".

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Interestingly, this attraction doesn’t dump you directly into a gift shop.

*spit take* :eek:

Elsewhere in this section of the park one can even acquire a tumble full of Duff Beer…
That calls for a salute!

“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”

Woohoo!

+1:thumbsup2

In the same sense that IASW is worth checking out.

This means "Avoid At All Costs".

They ask you for your name up front and plug that into the system once they know which bike you’ll be ridding. Of course what this means is that no one ever gives them their real name anymore. Obviously they won’t except things like “Monkey Butt” or “Squid Brains” as monikers

Booooo. Philistines.

(much to the dismay of every twelve year old boy that rides the thing convinced they were going to be the life of the party with that one)

Um....right, 12-year-olds. Yeah. :rolleyes1

Some of the unique elements this coaster offers up include an interesting ninety degree vertical lift hill, the fact that they record your reactions throughout the entire 1 minute 37 second ride (and will gladly sell you the video…. depending) and that each passenger can choose one out of thirty preselected songs to listen to during his or her own personal ride experience (but chose quick or it will chose for you).

I don't think my reaction would be family-friendly.

What we did not know… is that after a certain point in the day (at least it was true on that day) the geniuses in charge of park guest relations would shut down the single rider line.

:headache:

But they could use a bit of time away from the grownups and I could use some more rum and a bit of time snuggling with my lovely bride.

Why is all the rum gone?!

Likely not. The onsite folks got into the park an hour ahead of the rest of the slobs and I believe nearly all of them were thinking that way. From what I’ve learned, it’s better to wait until closer to closing time when the crowd starts thinning out. That worked well for us latter on in this expedition at least.
I know you're into this whole spy, Mission Impossible theme, but since yesterday was Top Gun day I'm going to choose to reference that particular Tom Cruise film. I'm talking about the scene where Charlie tells Mav that a MiG 28 can't do a 4G negative dive and he tells her about his 4G inverted dive with a MiG at 2 meters... yeah, that was a cool moment.

We hit the park when it opened, headed straight to HP, rode with maybe a 10 minute "wait." We never hit any kind of a line until the portrait room, and even then we just slowed and never actually came to a stop until we go to the loading area. We rode it, the Hippogriff and then waited 15 minutes on a mechanical failure for the Hippogriff before heading around to JP, Spidey and Hulk with virtually no wait. :thumbsup2 The kids rode in Suess, the adults took turns going back to check out HP if they so desired and we were done in IoA by noon. :rotfl2:

The random Minion tee shirt may be sited on a patron out in the World Showcase, but Mickey’s image, and yes… even the occasional set of mouse ears, could be readily found throughout Islands of Adventure. If I’m correct in this observation that fact must make the marketers at Universal absolutely wacky.
Let's be honest here... you're leaving out the big one. "Thing" shirts. You see them everywhere around Disney! Universal's marketing department is more than getting even for any rogue mouse ears with this element alone.

And immediately got side tracked… I mean headed toward the front gates via the somewhat calmer part of the park now referred to as the Lost Continent.
From the sounds of things it will definitely be living up to it's name soon... :rolleyes1

fire, cannons and explosions. Not bad.
That is basically all you need to know about Poseidon's Fury. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

No busses required at Universal (ain’t nary big enough for that). It’s just a relatively short stroll from one dark side…
I love the proximity of the parks. And the various eateries and watering holes located in between.

Both of those instances were a long time ago indeed. And the elder park on site has changed considerable since.
Ain't that the truth...

Many of the changes for the better. But I certainly miss King Kong. And Jaws. And Marty McFly.

We had a backup plan for getting onto the Rocket, but sadly the minion ride was deemed too much of a wait by the boys (and truthfully, mom and dad were indifferent). So we kept moving.
We totally missed out on the Minions. Would have loved to have ridden it... and DS would have really loved to have ridden it if he were tall enough. :sad2: That's where dark side screwed up considerably. In fact, I'm sure we'd have found a way to slip across town during our upcoming trip if it weren't for the fact that our kids can't do jack crap there. :crazy2:

I’m sure that at one time possibly, the “attraction” based on the “Twister” film (from way back when my son was only a year old) was ummm… entertaining? These days though… you see… ummmm… well, at least when the cow flies by you smile for a moment or two but as for the rest of it… ummmm…
Eh... it's a'ight. :confused3 Definitely wouldn't stand in line to see it, but the effect of the wind and the funnel cloud forming right in front of you is kind of impressive.

Revenge of the Mummy is a dark-ride / roller coaster and a dang good one too.
::yes::

Finnegan’s Bar and Grill
Great place!! I've spent the better part of an afternoon in there with friends partaking of several appetizers and a beverage... or 2... or 10. :confused3

It got us off our feet for a well-deserved rest of the weary bones, and it sheltered us from that days prerequisite torrential poor down.
Wow. Double win! Well played! :thumbsup2

I’m pretty sure you’re morning the loss of those babies aren’t ya’?
Well... maybe not necessarily those exact experiences, but I do miss the behind the scenes, "this is how it is done" type experiences. Both at Universal and Disney Hollywood Studios. They have been replaced by newer, better things, but I was fascinated by those types of shows and they were fun. And you might actually learn a thing or 2. That must be why they're gone now. We can't make people think too much. :lmao:

That’s the iconic centerpiece and main entrance to the ride that now consumes nearly that entire block:
“Transformers: the Ride-3D”.
And that picture alone has me re-thinking our decision to pass on Universal/IoA this time around. :(

However… they were in the midst of conducting a “soft opening” of the attraction and that meant we could be amongst the first to experience it for no cost beyond a fairly lengthy stand in a queue (and knowing they might shut it down at any moment).

Well… what would you do?
I would steamroll anyone between me and the entrance to that queue. :thumbsup2 :lmao:

For the majority of you that are younger then I, that right there makes perfect sense and no farther explanation is required.
What??? Really??? Just watch the movie!!! What's not to like about a movie that has fast cars, big robots, fire, explosions, and Megan Fox hanging all over an old Camaro??? :confused3

The “Amity” part of it, the home of the original “Jaws” ride experience, is no more.
:sad1:

The overlords were posting a wait of better than 90 of our earth type minutes for the MIB experience (so technically that would be a problem with living as the living were clogging up the queue at the time). Now, mom and dad were ok with this but decided to leave it up to the boys (a mistake that any parent really should know better than by this stage in the game). The boys had both done this one previously and in their opinion, it was a bit long to be standing for what thrills this now “older” ride had to offer.
I really do like it. And the queue is pretty cool. But the ride itself kind of falls somewhere between Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania. Better than Buzz, but it ain't no TSMM.

Like all stationary simulators, this can bother those folks prone to sea sickness, the claustrophobic and those whose eyes don’t deal well with disorienting visual input combined with jarring motion…
like my wife…
who “saw” a couple parts of this with her eyes closed…
D’oh!

Just something to keep in mind.
Yeah... I get dizzy on those things. I walk out of that one feeling like crap and barely remembering what I just saw. I can't do it twice in a day, but I'm always ready to go back for more next time! :thumbsup2

How the designers slipped up on that I’m not certain, but at the time at least, this was true.
You pretty much just explained it... It was an original building when the park opened. Back in those days the gift shop at the exit wasn't quite as ubiquitous as it is today.

Nope, they chose to let the Force be with them and went for ‘Luke’ and ‘Anacin’ instead.
Disney names??? :eek: Cover blown!!!! :scared1:

We had one last major plan for the day. Tackling the “Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit”! The newest steal coaster in the parks. It’s no Hulk, but still a good version of a type built by German manufacture Maurer Söhne known as a “Skyloop Coaster”.
You're right. It is no Hulk. But truly, I think it is just as good, but for different reasons.

What we did not know… is that after a certain point in the day (at least it was true on that day) the geniuses in charge of park guest relations would shut down the single rider line.
:furious:

The choice was down to one seriously interminable wait in a hell queue or to consider coming back another day and hitting this one at rope drop. The second choice there seemed a far more reasonable solution to the problem. Didn’t make us less ticked off, but it was a more reasonable choice.
Consider coming back... dang, it has been a long time on this TR. I don't remember what your initial plans were... I thought you were just doing one day at Universal. Heck, you've done everything of note but 2 rides. Might as well just suck it up, suffer the wait and be done with your visit to enemy territory. :rolleyes1

That one sounds pretty cool. Would it appeal to a hypothetical person who can't stand huge drops?:confused3
If that hypothetical person enjoys the hills and drops found on Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain, the darkness of Space, and the backwards portion of Everest, then yes. Emphatically yes.

I'm not sure you ever really need a good reason to post a Looney Tunes episode.

Good point!
Here… have another

In fact… Have two!

A couple of my favorites.

I hate this place.

An understandable reaction

On second thought, that's not half bad.

See… it does have it’s moments.

Explosions work for me.

Explosions work for everyone

Or blow right past on your way to Harry Potter. :rotfl2:

A better plan from my point of view.
But you just started over recently, so if you get down there at some point in the next six or seven years, You’ll be spending a bit of time there.

This is also how people get stuck on IASW.

Yup.
Short wait times should generally be seen as a warning rather than an opportunity.

::yes:: Bet on it.

Sounds tasty. Pretzel rolls make just about any sandwich better.

They do.
It’s become a bit of a trend though and gets over done from time to time now, but in this instance the combination was just about perfect.

Oh yeah, such a shame to see whats-his-face go.

I knew you’d be crushed.

Shoot the hostage. Er, I mean, hop in line.

Pop quiz!
And you passed with flying colors.

Um...sure. Just blow something up already.

Not to worry, they’ll get around to it directly.

I do actually miss that one.

Yah, shame they couldn’t keep Jaws around, but they are limited in the space department.
Exactly why Walt bought a chunk of land the size of San Diego back in the 60’s.

No Agents J and K? Not even a little bit?

Well…
Maybe we did ride it and they just neuralized us at the exit and planted the memory of having been on The Simpson’s ride instead. It could’a happened like that.

This means "Avoid At All Costs".

That’s one interpretation of the facts.

And probably a good one at that.

Booooo. Philistines.

Just no accounting for some folks lack of taste is there.

Um....right, 12-year-olds. Yeah. :rolleyes1

I do believe that you still qualify as a 12-year-old.

I don't think my reaction would be family-friendly.

Mine would not have been either. I guarantee…

Why is all the rum gone?!

Because I was thirsty… Dummy…
(to paraphrase Little Enos)

I know you're into this whole spy, Mission Impossible theme, but since yesterday was Top Gun day I'm going to choose to reference that particular Tom Cruise film.

Now… just what makes you think I’d be even slightly interested in any notion of going off topic?

I'm talking about the scene where Charlie tells Mav that a MiG 28 can't do a 4G negative dive and he tells her about his 4G inverted dive with a MiG at 2 meters... yeah, that was a cool moment.

Do carry on.

We hit the park when it opened, headed straight to HP, rode with maybe a 10 minute "wait." We never hit any kind of a line until the portrait room, and even then we just slowed and never actually came to a stop until we go to the loading area. We rode it, the Hippogriff and then waited 15 minutes on a mechanical failure for the Hippogriff before heading around to JP, Spidey and Hulk with virtually no wait. The kids rode in Suess, the adults took turns going back to check out HP if they so desired and we were done in IoA by noon.

Nicely done. I forget, were y’all staying on site?
That would have changed our approach to be sure.

Let's be honest here... you're leaving out the big one. "Thing" shirts. You see them everywhere around Disney! Universal's marketing department is more than getting even for any rogue mouse ears with this element alone.

Hummmm… yah that’s the ones I saw from time to time and mostly out in the WS for some reason. But still not near as much as I encountered the opiset over at the dark side. Of course, I also wasn’t paying near as much attention to such once we got back to The World so my memory may be blissfully faulty here.

From the sounds of things it will definitely be living up to it's name soon... :rolleyes1

I am forced to concur on that point.

I love the proximity of the parks. And the various eateries and watering holes located in between.

It’s the one upside to their space limitations.

Ain't that the truth...

Many of the changes for the better. But I certainly miss King Kong. And Jaws. And Marty McFly.

And that’s the downside of those space limitations.
They don’t have room to keep a classic.

We totally missed out on the Minions. Would have loved to have ridden it... and DS would have really loved to have ridden it if he were tall enough. :sad2: That's where dark side screwed up considerably. In fact, I'm sure we'd have found a way to slip across town during our upcoming trip if it weren't for the fact that our kids can't do jack crap there. :crazy2:
You could spend all day in Suess Landing

Eh... it's a'ight. :confused3 Definitely wouldn't stand in line to see it, but the effect of the wind and the funnel cloud forming right in front of you is kind of impressive.

True, but now I’ve seen it once…
I don’t foresee that happening again.

Great place!! I've spent the better part of an afternoon in there with friends partaking of several appetizers and a beverage... or 2... or 10. :confused3

The wait staff remembered you actually.
It was 15.

Wow. Double win! Well played! :thumbsup2

Some times you get lucky.
And sometimes you let your kids talk you out of waiting for MIB.
Win some, lose some…

Well... maybe not necessarily those exact experiences, but I do miss the behind the scenes, "this is how it is done" type experiences. Both at Universal and Disney Hollywood Studios. They have been replaced by newer, better things, but I was fascinated by those types of shows and they were fun. And you might actually learn a thing or 2. That must be why they're gone now. We can't make people think too much.

At least there’s still the makeup and costume effects show.
Pretty funny that one. Hope fully they’ll keep it around a while yet.

And that picture alone has me re-thinking our decision to pass on Universal/IoA this time around. :(

Keep thinking…
I believe you’ll get your priorities back in order pretty soon.

I would steamroll anyone between me and the entrance to that queue. :thumbsup2 :lmao:

Is that the same strategy you were planning to use against Lebron James once the Pacers picked you up off wavers?

What??? Really??? Just watch the movie!!! What's not to like about a movie that has fast cars, big robots, fire, explosions, and Megan Fox hanging all over an old Camaro???

When I dropped my son and his buddy off to see that, a couple years back, they were far and away the oldest people standing in line for tickets. I’d have felt like I was walking into a Chuck-E-Cheese.

If it shows up on regular cable some time, I’ll watch it then.
I suspect the ride was far more entertaining.

I really do like it. And the queue is pretty cool. But the ride itself kind of falls somewhere between Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania. Better than Buzz, but it ain't no TSMM.

Considering that we don’t get down that near as often as some of y’all, that’s a moment when I should have overridden our younger compatriots. You’ll see that I won’t be making that same mistake very often from here on out.

Yeah... I get dizzy on those things. I walk out of that one feeling like crap and barely remembering what I just saw. I can't do it twice in a day, but I'm always ready to go back for more next time!

I handle them better than most the Mrs. does, that’s for certain. But we’ve figured out that the newer version that are on tracks are a lot easier for her to deal with. And that’s a mighty good thing.

Disney names??? :eek: Cover blown!!!! :scared1:

I think they were just glad that neither of them attempted to insert any type of profanity into their assumed identities. :lmao:

Chapter 5: Contrition

C05-101_zps0f999ff1.jpg

Part 1: Coming in from the Cold​

We’d strayed…
Left the warm confines of the known and disappeared behind the celluloid curtain that separates East form West;
the “Lake” roads from Lake Buena Vista;
Exit-75 from Exit-67.
A world away…

With much of the operation completed, it was time to return to the safety of the known….
To pay our proper respects and atone for our transgressions…
To come back into the light and out of the cold.

But rather than the ominous yet nondescript guard shack which once stood as the Cold War’s symbol for “crossing over”…
we would be crossing through a different check point…

C05-102_zpsd498d204.jpg

But I’m getting just a tad bit ahead of myself here.
First, we’d a couple of lessons to learn.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Half the Battle

So what was the main lesson learned during our foray into enemy territory?
Well actually it wasn’t a lesson at all. It was an affirmation of something I well know…

Rope Drop Matters.

Having re-re-learned that useful tidbit, what would you say our plan of action was for the next morning?

Why, to sleep in of course.

Remember I’m traveling with semi-adult teens here and the predawn world is terra incognita as far as their concerned. Oh, mom and dad were up though and could easily have been waiting in line for the gates to open at any of the parks. Should we have just left them to their own devises? Almost certainly, but the parent in me, and more importantly the mother in my wife, just couldn’t quite take our actions to that logical conclusion.

Not just yet at least.

While the boys were shambling around the room alternatively attempting to ready themselves for the day and reacquainting themselves with the concepts of language and verbal communication, I decided to partake of a bit of breakfast. We had packed an assortment of breakfast bars, nuts, dried fruit, pop-tarts and the like in order to facilitate quick grab and go breakfasts throughout the week. But this morning we also had an extra treat; beniegts that we’d acquired from the French Quarter the night before…

C05-103_zpsc4c0dfdb.jpg

So I popped a couple of those light pastries into the complimentary microwave oven…
punched up 15 seconds on the timer…
and put the spurs to it.

I then learned my first practical lesson of the day…

Do not reheat beniegts.

I was utterly stunned by the realization of just how something that was previously as light and delicate as mist clinging to a mountainside could be transformed into the culinary equivalent of mummified shoe leather. Microwaves are generally unkind to anything that can trace its origins back to some form of dough, but the total molecular devastation that it applied to Cajun Puff-Pastries came as quite the shock I tell you. Needless to say, those were scraped and we nibbled on the remaining slightly stale puffs at room temperature.

Morale? When it comes to beniegts…

acquire them fresh out of the oil
hedonistically devour at once
repeat if possible
leave no crumb nor trace behind

Ever!

Once the young’ens were properly assembled and ready to deal with both the daylight and the existence of humanity in general,
we proceeded to learn our next valuable lesson of the day…

Drive.

I’m a veteran consumer of the capable Disney transportation system, and have in previous trips found it to be useful and at times even effective. But over time as more and more resorts and DVC properties have come online, the amount of folks funneled into the system has made the busses a noticeable bit more crowded. Some of the routs with multiple stops and pick up points are also a bit of an issue. The real scourge though is the plethora of personal mobility devices that have descended upon The World and are apparently procreating at a rate that hamsters and jackrabbits would find concerning. A plague of locusts these things. Though helpful and even necessary to their occupants, once inflicted upon a random resort bus and its unsuspecting passengers they generate nothing short of mayhem. The first unfortunate consequence is that just one will immediately consume a three or four person bench seat thus displacing any prior occupants. The real issue though would be the inordinate amounts of time devoured in the necessary loading process. And Lord help if there are two or more to be dealt with. After one particularly epic bus journey during our previous visit to Disney, I decided that the next time I really should attempt to do the driving myself and determine just how difficult it actually was. Today was as good a day as any to put that plan into action. So I did. The results were enlightening. Turns out that even with the traffic congestion common during summer months, leaving the driving to one’s self is vastly superior in both duration and quality of ride experience. Even in the heat. The roads markings, while not perfect, are a little better than one might think. And once you’ve done a couple of round trips, you’ll also get use to the quirks and tricks needed to beat Dis-Tran at their own game.

And now we know…

It took less than 15 minutes total to climb into the car and arrive at our park destination for the day (and that even included one missed turn and the time needed to correct and learn form that mistake). The chosen destination as you should be aware from the earlier picture was…

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

(which I still at times refer to as MGM, much to the distain of the odd Cast Member)

Now driving your own vehicle does mean that you have to deal with the parking lots, but that also put us in contact with something that I’d not directly experienced on property since I was a kid myself…

C05-104_zpsd535fce9.jpg

Trams

Technically what you’re looking at there is actually a Charabanc (as I’ve explained in previous non sequitur TR musings), but in either case these “buses” are more relaxing then the regular ones and kind’a add a bit of anticipation and even nostalgia to one’s arrival at the park.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Close Encounters

After the short trip aboard Tram 13A (a good omen as far as I’m concerned), we slipped through the gates and quickly left them in our wake…

C05-123_zps2418aaba.jpg

Now we were truly back in from the cold and immersed in to the kind of storytelling and suspension of reality that Disney does better than most…

C05-105_zpsf566699d.jpg

(Yay, the big hat kind’a spoils the view a bit, but I can live with that.)

A quick look up and to the right and I even encountered something that only occurs at Disney…
The Hidden Mickey

C05-106_zps47497526.jpg

…wasn‘t even looking for that one.

Well at least now were here, but as you can see the park is already quite crowded.

The price of failure… umm... I mean not making RD.

Well time to make the best of it then.
First order of business: head down Sunset Boulevard for our close-up… errrrr… close encounter with terror…

C05-107_zps786b1d40.jpg

There are actually two terrifying things in that picture and one of them was going to be having a great effect on most of the day’s decisions. It’s not uncommon at Disney to have close encounters with large groups of young folks wearing matching tee-shirts and following guides who are all carrying long poles with a banner of some type. Seeing those banners poking up through the crowds is often a very bad sign when you’re trying to exploit a Disney park. Once identified, you need to consider heading the other way as they tend to predict devastating effects on wait times. Worse yet, we’d counted no less the nine separate occurrences of these obstacles between the front gate and the tower. Lord knows how many more were actually within the park. Averaging thirty to forty individuals per swarm, and always attempting to do the same thing at the same time, this was a virtual invasion. I began to suspect that the queues at the Studios were going to be a might clogged up today.

And clogged they were. The wait times for both of the major attractions on this side of the park were well beyond 90-min, but the fast-pass return time was better for the Tower then for the Caddies so we grabbed a few of those. The RnRC would have to wait for a bit later on in the day. From here we headed off for something we hoped would be a bit easier to access in a timely fashion. On the way we noticed that the wait time for the Great Movie ride of all things was 45-min. That’s just nutty! It had to be a function of the large number of tour groups in the park because no one who’d ever seen it before would spend that kind of time on the GMR. Having identified this bad omen we steeled ourselves for what was likely to await us at our true destination.

C05-108_zps60f7bee2.jpg

On the upside, at least there’d be copious amounts of shade from the South Florida heat…

C05-109_zps60761cb8.jpg

Oddly, the stand-by wait for the recently refurbished Star Tours was only 25-min.
I have no rational explanation for that when compared to the GMR, but I wasn’t going to ignore a good opportunity to do a bit of space traveling.

C05-110_zps6c617cb0.jpg

Even with those guys in charge of the maintenance.

I like the way that the Imagineers have changed this ride to give you multiple and unpredictable experiences. Turns out though that somehow or other, Empire forces determined that there was a spy aboard our shuttle. And they were right, it was us. We’d been fingered! Fortunately though, they missed the mark when identifying said clandestine operatives and tried to pin the rap on a young girl sitting in the back of our ship instead. The pilot must have been in on the scam though as he did a good job of escaping from the docking bay and we were in hyper-space before the local bulk cruisers could do anything about it. That was close. For now at least our cover wasn’t blown (it would have been nice, but that’s how it goes). The rest of the trip was as good as ever and all agreed that the upgrades to the shuttle fleet were an unqualified Disney success. I do wish that they’d kept the “Passport” system that was offered during the rides grand reopening, but we can’t have everything.

Ups and Downs

C05-111_zps9007c69d.jpg

Having made our way from Tatooine back to the Streets of America we first considered talking to Muppets…

C05-112_zps9dbd22f7.jpg

The down side to this quick plan was that they’d just locked the doors to the theater and there was already quite the queue load (including scores of those matching tee-shirts) waiting for even the next preshow. A bit of chronological math and it didn’t seem like the rapid turnaround we’d first considered it to be. On the upside though, our window for acquiring additional fast-passes was approaching. Being as HS is one of the smaller parks physically, crossing is back and forth a couple of times in a day is not all that prohibitive. So we did just that. Back down Sunset but this time we made the left at the end of the street and grabbed a few more passes to take in a rock concert latter on in the day. The down side of this was that it was going to be a good bit later (and nuke any realistic chance of our collecting any other passes for a long while). No time to sweat that now though, we were headed toward some very different ups and downs.

The unpredictable kind…

C05-113_zpsfed910bd.jpg

Fact: I do not like free falls.
Absolutely hate them.

I’ll go for speed, force and power anytime, but a gut wrenching drop is an experience to which I’m completely adverse. And yet… I’ll purposely walk onto The Hollywood Tower of Terror.

Odd thing that.

A long while back when my son was considerably younger he wanted to ride the thing. He’s got no siblings, and his momma is just as adamant about not entering the tower as some of my other readers. I couldn’t send him on his own at the time, but Max really wanted to do it. Sooooo… I collected up my courage and took him for a little ride on an elevator

(‘cause being a dad… that’s what you do).

The preshow in a windowless and doorless library from another dimension does nothing to ease the anxieties of the fearful…

C05-114_zps34b36e88.jpg

The queue experience down in the bowels of the abandoned hotel then sets those trepidations into emotional concrete, but the boy was excited so I was already committed. Or maybe should have been committed. What surprised me most was that there is nothing more to restrain the individual rider then a simple lap-belt and a couple of handles to lock your claws around. I figured there’d be need for more than that, but no. The first half of the ride is classic Disney dark-ride storytelling and dang effective in the telling. It’s not until your car locks into the main shaft, and everything get very still and quiet for a moment that your heart stops.

I was waiting for the drop I knew I’d hate when all of a sudden we shot straight up. Wasn’t expecting that. This was speed and power; the exact things I like in a ride. Of course it was once we got to the top of the shaft and could look out across the entire park for a moment that the bottom dropped out of everything. When the tower “drops” you though, it’s not just a function of gravity. Instead it pulls you down. It may be that the additional force associated with this powered descent counteracts some of the nauseating effects of weightlessness. Or it may be that one might not necessarily fall very far before the car changes its mind and shoots you right back upward. Maybe the darkness helps with the change in directions or the fact that it does change direction in the first place alters the internal experience.

Whatever it is, I’ll say this about it…
I still hate free falls, but I love riding on the Tower.

What say… feel like giving it a try yourself?

C05-115_zps18db464d.jpg

Turning up the Heat

C05-116_zps5086e645.jpg

Upon leaving the obligatory gift shop we encountered something that had until then only offered up hints of its presence; the heat. By this time of the morning though, it was like being smacked on the side of the head with a wet carp… that was on fire… Good lord, it’d gone straight from summer to inferno in less than an hour. Who order that? Not much one can do about that though save for hunting down some type of shade. In my experience, theaters are good suppliers of shade. And if said theater also supplies stunts and explosions, then it’d be wrong of us not to take advantage of that shade. Thus we hit one of my all-time favorite offerings at HS:

C05-117_zps099bdc09.jpg

I never tire of seeing the “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!”

I mean, it’s even got “epic” in its name so what’s not to like?
Well despite that bit of hyperbole, it actually is.

Spectacular, I mean…
Things being blown up is always good, right?

One problem though, we were among the last folks that made it into this showing and as a result, found ourselves sitting way down and way to the right of the theater. A good vantage point for catching the opening scene where “Indi” drops down into the temple…

C05-118_zpsee74e8be.jpg

But not quite as good for some of the fight scenes. Like the point where “Miriam” repeatedly clocks an “unsuspecting volunteer from the audience”…

C05-119_zps1b4efd58.jpg

It’s still effective and quite funny, but at that extreme angle it’s interesting (and a little deflating) to see just how far away from one and other the actors really are when they deliver those choreographed blows. Sit nearly anywhere else in the theater, and the action appears to be much closer in and therefor more compelling. Now, the high wire stuff along the roof tops of the town however is thrilling to see from any point of view…

C05-120_zpsa7031f14.jpg

But the best part of this show, for most guys at least, would be the explosions. There’s the truck early on in the action, and of course the great airplane fight scene at the finale. Problem is, from our vantage point, the first was way over on the other side of the theater, and the second was actually obscured by the camera crane and production folks positioned between us and the action…

C05-121_zps97f5f291.jpg

See what I mean.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still great to see. Decent pictures however, just weren’t happening. Also form this close in spot, you could see that all the pyrotechnics were spread far enough apart and away from the things that “appeared” to be exploding that it took a lot of the implied danger right out of it. You really need to be more toward the center of the theater for all the visuals to work as intended (or at least not on the very ends).

Net result, no truly great images of explosions can be offered up from our vantage point. As a consolation though, I offer someone else’s considerably better view of one of these signature conflagrations…

C05-122_zpsb66e43a0.jpg

Now that… is spectacular.

Next up: “H8TRFFC”… and other instances of vanity​

So what was the main lesson learned during our foray into enemy territory?
Well actually it wasn’t a lesson at all. It was an affirmation of something I well know…

Rope Drop Matters.

Surely everyone else learned this as well.

Having re-re-learned that useful tidbit, what would you say our plan of action was for the next morning?

Why, to sleep in of course.

:headache:

But this morning we also had an extra treat; beniegts that we’d acquired from the French Quarter the night before…

612-admiral-ackbar-he-knows-when-something-is-a-trap.jpg

Do not reheat beniegts.

Sorry. I would have warned you if I could. It's even worse than trying to re-heat french fries.

(Yay, the big hat kind’a spoils the view a bit, but I can live with that.)

It does.

A quick look up and to the right and I even encountered something that only occurs at Disney…
The Hidden Mickey

Good one! Is that near the offices of Valiant & Valiant?

On the way we noticed that the wait time for the Great Movie ride of all things was 45-min. That’s just nutty!

:eek: That's 45 minutes they'll never, ever get back.

Oddly, the stand-by wait for the recently refurbished Star Tours was only 25-min.

:confused3 Ok, that makes no sense whatsoever, but I wouldn't complain one bit.

Fact: I do not like free falls.
Absolutely hate them.

Oh, good. A kindred spirit.

I’ll go for speed, force and power anytime, but a gut wrenching drop is an experience to which I’m completely adverse.

Totally with you on that. :thumbsup2

And yet… I’ll purposely walk onto The Hollywood Tower of Terror.

...and you lost me there. :rotfl2:

When the tower “drops” you though, it’s not just a function of gravity. Instead it pulls you down. It may be that the additional force associated with this powered descent counteracts some of the nauseating effects of weightlessness. Or it may be that one might not necessarily fall very far before the car changes its mind and shoots you right back upward. Maybe the darkness helps with the change in directions or the fact that it does change direction in the first place alters the internal experience.

No, it doesn't. It doesn't help at all.:confused3

What say… feel like giving it a try yourself?

:rolleyes1

Me neither! :thumbsup2

But the best part of this show, for most guys at least, would be the explosions. There’s the truck early on in the action, and of course the great airplane fight scene at the finale. Problem is, from our vantage point, the first was way over on the other side of the theater, and the second was actually obscured by the camera crane and production folks positioned between us and the action…

That stinks. Sorry the seats weren't the greatest.

Net result, no truly great images of explosions can be offered up from our vantage point. As a consolation though, I offer someone else’s considerably better view of one of these signature conflagrations…

C05-122_zpsb66e43a0.jpg

Well, thanks for that at least.:thumbsup2

Nicely done. I forget, were y’all staying on site?
That would have changed our approach to be sure.
No. Drove over from Coronado Springs that morning.

And didn't even pay the extra for preferred parking. :rotfl::lmao:

You could spend all day in Suess Landing
True, but that other park... :rolleyes1

The wait staff remembered you actually.
It was 15.
Did the Blues Brothers still perform out in front? I know for a fact that they'll remember me. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl:

When I dropped my son and his buddy off to see that, a couple years back, they were far and away the oldest people standing in line for tickets. I’d have felt like I was walking into a Chuck-E-Cheese.
Really????? :confused3

If it shows up on regular cable some time, I’ll watch it then.
I suspect the ride was far more entertaining.
It is a good movie. The first one anyway. 2 is so/so but 3 is a little bit better. I can't wait to see the new one this summer! It has fast cars and explosions. Seriously. What's not to like? Make an effort to see it. I really don't think it is much of a kid's movie... maybe geared more towards the kids of the 80's who grew up playing with Transformers, but that isn't kids, it is the 20 - 30 year old crowd...

Oh yeah... good point. You're way too old for it. Nevermind.

Oh, mom and dad were up though and could easily have been waiting in line for the gates to open at any of the parks. Should we have just left them to their own devises? Almost certainly, but the parent in me, and more importantly the mother in my wife, just couldn’t quite take our actions to that logical conclusion.
:sad2: Come on, man!!

I then learned my first practical lesson of the day…

Do not reheat beniegts.
:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: What? Not a fan of rubbery pastries???

Needless to say, those were scraped and we nibbled on the remaining slightly stale puffs at room temperature.
The fact that you didn't save them to serve the boys for making you miss rope drop really disappoints me. :rotfl2:

Once the young’ens were properly assembled and ready to deal with both the daylight and the existence of humanity in general,
we proceeded to learn our next valuable lesson of the day…

Drive.
I love being in the "Disney bubble" and sometimes I do ride the bus just because I don't want to drive... Or I just want to enjoy the World Showcase... :rolleyes1

But yeah. Driving is so much better than Disney transportation. If only you didn't have to jump through so many hoops at the MK. :headache:

There are actually two terrifying things in that picture and one of them was going to be having a great effect on most of the day’s decisions.
No... I only see one terrifying thing in that picture. And as Nate would say... Brazillions!!!!! :eek: :scared1:

I have no rational explanation for that when compared to the GMR, but I wasn’t going to ignore a good opportunity to do a bit of space traveling.
Does Star Tours move people through faster??? I know GMR can take a huge crowd all at once, but Star Tours is moving smaller groups at a faster rate. I know I'd much rather stand in the Star Tours queue for 45 minutes.

Whatever it is, I’ll say this about it…
I still hate free falls, but I love riding on the Tower.
I love free falls and I love riding ToT. And that's all I have to say about that. :thumbsup2

However, for the experience, I'd wait in a decent line to ride ToT. But as far as one of those less reputable parks' tower rides that just take you up and drop you with no show or scenery associated with it... yeah, I'm not doing that unless it is a walk on.

By this time of the morning though, it was like being smacked on the side of the head with a wet carp… that was on fire…
:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

I mean, it’s even got “epic” in its name so what’s not to like?
Well despite that bit of hyperbole, it actually is.

Spectacular, I mean…
Things being blown up is always good, right?

I haven't seen it in the past couple of trips, but I think DS is old enough that he might enjoy it and I'm sure FiL will love it. We'll definitely make an effort to make a long overdue visit to this show.

It’s still effective and quite funny, but at that extreme angle it’s interesting (and a little deflating) to see just how far away from one and other the actors really are when they deliver those choreographed blows.
Actually, I think it would be kind of cool to see it from that vantage.

Ok... those seats suck. I'm never sitting there. Ignore my last comment.

Surely everyone else learned this as well.

Learning is one thing. Choosing to act on that knowledge however…

Can’t put nouthin’ past ol’ Ackbar, can ya’?

Sorry. I would have warned you if I could. It's even worse than trying to re-heat french fries.

Yep. Fries don’t do well either, unless you reconfigure them.
We take left over fries, dice them and mix in a bowl with chopped ham, shredded cheeses, and leftover sautéed peppers and onions if we have em’. That can be microwaved pretty effectively. Afterward stir in a few heaping spoons of a good salsa and it just gets better. Take the base mixture, add two or three eggs and heat that in a skillet on the stove top or in a hot oven for a bit and it’s better still.

Wouldn’t be all that sorry to see that one go.
They need a better icon for HS.

Good one! Is that near the offices of Valiant & Valiant?

I do believe you’re right about that.

:eek: That's 45 minutes they'll never, ever get back.

Serves ‘em right, don’t it?

:confused3 Ok, that makes no sense whatsoever, but I wouldn't complain one bit.

And we didn’t. Trust me on that one.

Totally with you on that. :thumbsup2

...and you lost me there. :rotfl2:

I’d have never climbed on the thing if my boy wasn’t so determined to ride it.
Cant’ explaine why I do it now. Weird how that worked out.

No, it doesn't. It doesn't help at all.:confused3

What happens when Drew is looking at you heartbroken ‘cause we wants to try it, and no one else will go with him?

Me neither! :thumbsup2

That stinks. Sorry the seats weren't the greatest.

It happens. I’ve seen it plenty, but now I know that if you’re one of last ten folks allowed into the theater…
It might be best just to wait for the next show.

Well, thanks for that at least.:thumbsup2

We aim to please.
:thumbsup2

No. Drove over from Coronado Springs that morning.

And didn't even pay the extra for preferred parking. :rotfl::lmao:

Ok, I was going to award a point for the first sentence.
But the second sentence took that point right back away.
You don’t get the good parking for the hike into Universal, you get it for the painful slog back out.
Net result, you break even at zero.

But what I am going to do for you is laugh my *** off at you once you get old enough and broken enough to realize the wisdom of it.
So you got that goin’ for ya’.

True, but that other park... :rolleyes1

Granted… a better choice.

Did the Blues Brothers still perform out in front? I know for a fact that they'll remember me. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl:

Fifteen beers will do that to a person. :lmao:

Really????? :confused3

I think the Fast and Furious films are a waste as well.
Some stories are so uninteresting that even an exploding car can’t save ‘em.

It is a good movie. The first one anyway. 2 is so/so but 3 is a little bit better. I can't wait to see the new one this summer! It has fast cars and explosions. Seriously. What's not to like? Make an effort to see it. I really don't think it is much of a kid's movie... maybe geared more towards the kids of the 80's who grew up playing with Transformers, but that isn't kids, it is the 20 - 30 year old crowd...

Oh yeah... good point. You're way too old for it. Nevermind.

And now we’re in agreement on something.

Like I said, next time the first one is on regular cable… I’ll give it a try.

Come on, man!!

My thought’s exactly.
But I’ll be letting them suffer from their bad decisions from about this point onward.

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: What? Not a fan of rubbery pastries???

Rubbery would have been an upgrade.
These were tougher than a barber’s strap.

The fact that you didn't save them to serve the boys for making you miss rope drop really disappoints me.

But you spend so much time being disappointed with me, how would I have known?

Actually, I did play it that way. They just ignored them.
They’re lazy, not foolish.

I love being in the "Disney bubble" and sometimes I do ride the bus just because I don't want to drive... Or I just want to enjoy the World Showcase... :rolleyes1

Good point. If I’m heading out with the intention of not being physically or legally incapable of driving afterward, the bus system will make for a very fine alternative indeed.

But yeah. Driving is so much better than Disney transportation. If only you didn't have to jump through so many hoops at the MK. :headache:

There is truth to that as well, but I also understand Walt’s original vision of wanting you to approach the MK either slowly by water or via a more “futuristic” form of transportation. The anticipation involved does build the excitement factors a bit.

No... I only see one terrifying thing in that picture. And as Nate would say... Brazillions!!!!! :eek: :scared1:

Yes… I do believe I have heard it expressed in those terms at one time of another.
;)

Does Star Tours move people through faster??? I know GMR can take a huge crowd all at once, but Star Tours is moving smaller groups at a faster rate. I know I'd much rather stand in the Star Tours queue for 45 minutes.

Good question. It actually may just do precisely that. GMR does load a bunch at a crack but each of the Star Tours speeders also hold a fairly good number of folks per trip and there are more of them as well.

I love free falls and I love riding ToT. And that's all I have to say about that. :thumbsup2

You know what the best part of being shot in the buttock is?

However, for the experience, I'd wait in a decent line to ride ToT. But as far as one of those less reputable parks' tower rides that just take you up and drop you with no show or scenery associated with it... yeah, I'm not doing that unless it is a walk on.

The boys are in agreement with you on this as well.
For that matter… so am I.

I see you finally got something worthwhile out of this here TR.

I haven't seen it in the past couple of trips, but I think DS is old enough that he might enjoy it and I'm sure FiL will love it. We'll definitely make an effort to make a long overdue visit to this show.

::yes:: I’m pretty sure a good time will be had by all

Actually, I think it would be kind of cool to see it from that vantage.

Ok... those seats suck. I'm never sitting there. Ignore my last comment.

Well… that’s half the battle.

Chapter 5: Contrition

Part 2: Taken for a Ride​

Joubert: “Can I drop you somewhere?”

Turner: “I'd like to go back to New York.”

Joubert: You have not much future there... It will happen this way. You may be walking. Maybe the first sunny day of the spring, and a car will slow beside you, and the door will open, and someone you know, maybe even trust, will get out of the car. And he will smile a becoming smile, but he will leave open the door of the car and offer to give you a lift.”

Turner: “You seem to understand it all so well. What would you suggest?”

Joubert: “Personally, I prefer Europe.”

Any spy or covert operative should be very suspect when presented with a gracious offer of transportation; even more so if safety or sanctuary happen to be tendered as part of the bargain. So then why exactly did I spend most of the rest of my time at Hollywood Studio’s willingly climbing into other folks vehicles? Well I knew that some were completely benign, so no trouble there. As for the rest… in that case no one offered any promises of sanctuary and certainly none related to safety, so I figured we had to be in the clear.

But again I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, so let’s get back to where we left off in the story line.
That happed to be over at the “Indiana Jones” theater I do believe…

A Power in Decline

The “Epic-ness” now over, we traveled away from the sudden bursts of heat caused by the controlled rapid oxidation of flammable liquids...

C05-202_zps84be1ed3.jpg

(I had to find a decent image from a previous trip, but really, it was inevitable that I’d do so)

…only to again be confronted by the inescapable radiant heat resulting from naturally controlled nuclear fusion reactions nearly 63 million miles from our current location.

C05-203_zpsdf79df4a.jpg

We needed to find some more shade pronto. We needed an escape. Something that would get us under cover quickly, that would offer at least a modicum of entertainment value, and that just possibly may not be there the next time we get around to visiting…

C05-204_zps93849187.jpg

The Studio Backlot Tour.

While no longer even close to being the major draw it once was, the “Tour” is still the only way one can catch a good glimpse of the park’s original and rightful icon: the “Earful Tower”. Or its smaller cousin for that matter…

C05-205_zpsbb763a89.jpg

Actually, there is not a whole lot left of one of the park’s original major attractions. Something which at first opening consumed as much as two hours and foolishly included no restroom stops along the way. Long gone are most of the walking tour parts of it and even the tram ride is shorter than originally envisioned (I mean, they haven’t driven down the middle of the New York streetscape in years). It’s a bit sad really to think that for us, the major reasoning for choosing to hop on this particular attraction was driven mostly by the ambient temperature combined with sheer expediency.

But the truth can be harsh.

Rumors continue to swirl about the ultimate fate of this original park attraction. Grand visions have been bandied about that could also include the demise of the “Light, Motors, Action!” show, and maybe even the entire Streets of America Section of the park. These things may or may not come to pass, but in any case the old lot tour has seen better days and still occupies a great deal of valuable and underutilized real estate. Honestly, I suspect it may not reside long on this plane of existence. With this in mind we had at least one valid reason for deciding to give it a last parting shot. Besides, it’s still true that there was no line, it did come equipped with shade and even allowed for some keister time (we’ve a long day ahead of us yet).

What was once the middle of the ride, it now the beginning. The water tank (the only remaining film production portion of the proceedings) is still entertaining enough. Being the guest that gets to be torpedoed or have several tons of water dumped on them is still the rare Disney honor.

C05-206_zps9c114b29.jpg

The Tram ride through now mostly abandoned workshops and greatly scaled back bone yards is a bit more pathetic then enlightening though. The derelict props that have been sitting in these old sections of the park are considerably worse for ware and most are not particularly current or topical. You do get to see a little behind the scenes action of the LMA! show which happened to be in progress at the time so that was pretty cool.

Wave to the nice tame stunt drivers everyone…

C05-207_zps318330fb.jpg

Some say that he has some terrible plans, involving the moon,
and that all his potted plants are called Steve...
all we know is…

Oh wait! We’re on the wrong channel here…
Change that back to 1247

**click, click, click, click, click**

…while looking at older props slowly deteriorating in the Central Florida heat and humidity may be a bit lacking,
there’s still the “Catastrophe Canyon.” To be reckoned with…

C05-208_zps9de14fc0.jpg

Ok, that’s better

The grand finale of the riding portion of the tour is still intact, but this too is a might long in the tooth
Yet, any excuse for simulated floods and more things exploding is still a welcome diversion.

Currently right after disembarking the tram (or would that be called detraming? Hummm… oh well, no matter) there is an AFI exhibit of costumes, paraphernalia and related accoutrements associated with some of the great villains of film. This offers up some pretty cool eye candy and is worth spending a bit of time roaming around before exiting through the obligatory dump shop. All in all, a decent experience that I’ll probably not spend any time on in the future. It’s run its course.

Diner and a Show

We’d seen some back stage artifacts, now it was time for some backstage munchies. Close by the Tour’s exit in the back of the Streets of America area you’ll find the “Studio Catering Company”. This quick service spot is rarely crowded and offers up something that is not very common on Disney property: Paninis.

The menu will list them as just a sandwich, but they’re paninis and not too bad either.

I went for the “Toasted Tuscan Deli” and for my trouble got:

Shaved Smoked Ham, Salami, Pepperoni, Provolone, Caesar Dressing, and Pesto-marinated Tomatoes, on a pressed Tuscan Roll

Kind’a sloppy, but also unexpectedly tasty.

The classy lady among us had a “Grilled Vegetable” version of this which included:

Grilled Zucchini, Roasted Mushrooms and Red Peppers, Tomato Slices, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and Provolone on a pressed “Basil-Asiago” roll

Even without a smidgen of meat on it, this may have been even better than my sandwich was.

The boys are pure carnivores through and through. They tend to avoid “rabbit food” at all costs. They’re also a might less adventurous so being as this watering hole lacked a burger of any type (unusual for a Disney QS), they settled on the next closest thing: Sloppy Joes. Supposedly using a “Chipotle Barbecue Sauce” as the base and a decent amount of cheddar to cut the heat a bit, these were also better than I expected them to be.

The other thing this spot has going for it would be the adjacent counter offering up potent potables.
And a fairly wide range of them at that… Just something to keep in mind.

Net result of all this?

We ended up getting a rather decent lunch at a quick service in Hollywood Studios.
Now there’s a sentence I never really thought I’d be writing.

With lunch now weighing heavy and the mid-day heat still neigh on to tormenting, what we needed now was something else cooling and a chance for the food to settle a bit. So what might be in short walking distance to our current location and fill the remainder or our immediate requirements?

How about this …

C05-209_zps8cdb72fe.jpg

Well yes, jumping in the fountain would have fit the bill, but I can see a Cast Member or three having minor conniption fits over it. So rather instead, we just rolled on into the Muppetvision 3D theater just off to the right there.

kermit.gif

This is another attraction that I make a point to catch whenever we’re in the Studios. If you’re into the details, this is the pace for you. There are so many site gages and outright puns (visual and printed) that it’s nearly impossible to take them all in during a single visit.

C05-211_zps24e9775d.jpg

I mean, where else are you going to find “a net full of jello” displayed quite so prominently?

C05-212_zps8b574ef5.jpg

Good thing they leave a key under the mat at the ticket booth so that you can get back in later on (really… check it out for yourself next time you’re there). For me at least the preshow is nearly as entertaining as the main attraction. Similar to the way that the old “Cranium Command” preshow prompted even more laughs then the theater show… I miss that one. While this opening film’s intent is to do no more than kill time and explain the radicle concept of 3D glasses…

C05-213_zpsb8550c5a.jpg

…it reminds me more of the original Muppet Show in all its foolish and chaotic glory.

“What foolishness would you like to see?”

Here, you can see the foolishness for yourself if you’d like …

I rather enjoy getting into the preshow theater early enough to see the bulk of it, but then again, I’m into “low humor”. Then there’s the fact that the actual “Muppet Show” on which the whole thing is inspired is a product of my youth so it makes sense that I’d be drawn to it so. I understand that they’ve recently updated the video to have Constantine from the new film take over the preshow. I’ll have to wait and see if that’s an improvement or intrusion, but I’m hopeful.

Now the….

A public Service Announcement:

Unlike the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Show Spectacular…
The Muppet Vision Theater has a sum total of absolutely

Z E R O

bad seats.

Really! I ain’t kiddin’ here,
Hand on a stack of bibles; cross your heart; pinky swear; insert you favorite superstition about fibs here…
I mean it… Really! (and same goes for the Philharmagic for that matter)

You know what this means?
It means you can actually do just what the harried cast members are imploring and move your lazy self-centered carcass all the way down to the end of the aisle. It won’t detract one single iota from your viewing experience.
Not to mention that Sam Eagle himself just got done explaining to you that “stopping will be distinctly unpatriotic”. So I’m imploring you: just take a radicle leap of faith here, even if it’s only this one time… Please! Just move the heck on down and let the rest of us into the bloody dang theater. Then after the show you can go right back to your normal mode of supreme arrogance, OK?

Sheese!

Now that we’re all in our seats, we can finally enjoy the show. We can revel in the mayhem that is a tour of Muppet Labs, snicker subversively during Miss Piggie’s thoroughly ruined solo spots, grin knowingly during the runaway Bean and Sweetum’s incursion and of course bask in the glory and reverence of Sam’s spectacular two hour Salute to all Countries, but Mostly America.

“You’ve got two minutes!”

Laughs were had right up until the point where the Chief’s temper led him to obliterate the grand auditorium for the umph-teenth time. Then we were dropping the 3D glasses into their proper receptacles and being ushered back out into the roasting oven that was a typical June afternoon in Orlando. This time though there was something that quickly took our mind off the ambient temperatures.

Our next Fast Pass window was finally open.

It was time to take a ride; the grandest ride in the Studio.
Excuse me folks, I’ve got a limo to catch and you better make that a Supper-Stretch…

“BUHBYE”

C05-215_zps921fdd88.jpg

For the third time today we were hoofin’ it back down Sunset Boulevard. But we won’t be on our feet all that much longer. The last fast pass of the day would be taking us here…

C05-216_zpsa4ec361b.jpg

The Rock’n’Roller Coaster may not be the biggest, badest coaster on the planet, but it is one of the most fun all around experiences. We’re not even in the building yet and the thing is already a blast. I love the giant icon of a Statocaster morphing into a roadway that the Imagineers put together for this attraction. An absolutely brilliant representation of both the coaster and rock’n’roll in general. Being particularly fond of Stats myself, I may be a bit biased but it seems the perfect choice. Oddly, none of the folks in Aerosmith are much known for wielding Fender axes, but I believe we can overlook that little detail.

I don’t remember what the stand-by time was when we arrived, but I do remember walking ‘round and past a whole pile of them tourists in matching tee-shirts on my way in to see the good folks at G-Force Records…

C05-217_zpsd777a237.jpg

Of course you don’t spend much time in the studio.
Nope, the bulk of it is spent in the natural habitat of spies the world over: a back ally…

C05-218_zps25845cb9.jpg

C05-219_zpse5c9764b.jpg

Now it’s generally not in the best interest of any operative to willingly climb into a strange vehicle that happens to be miraculously waiting in said ally. Not unless you’re dead certain who called for the ride, and just exactly where it’s going. This time though, we knew that we’d still be around when the car pulled into its ultimate destination. A bit roughed up possibly, but still among the living.

Ahhhh… there’s one of our chariots now…

C05-220_zps4e69111f.jpg

Classic good looks, high capacity, zero to sixty in 2.8 seconds…

C05-224_zpsa23a82ce.jpg

…4.5 Gs pulled at the entry into the first inversion (more than astronauts generally pulled on a space shuttle launch by the way)…

What’s not to like!

These are just about the coolest ride trains around (from a thematic stand point). I recently learned an interesting tidbit related to them as well. The various Aerosmith tunes you hear during the ride aren’t random but are specific to which of the five active trains you are loaded into. The sound system is built into the front of the car. It’s the power plant roaring under the hood, so to speak. As of now at least, you can tell them apart by the various vanity tags on the back bumpers like so:

1QKLIMO: "Nine Lives"

UGOBABE: "Love in an Elevator" & "Walk This Way"

BUHBYE: "Young Lust", "F.I.N.E.*" & "Love in an Elevator"

H8TRFFC: "Back in the Saddle" & "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"

2FAST4U: "Sweet Emotion"(live)

This time around our little band of rockers caught a ride in “traffic hatter” up there. Like the rest of those 59’ Caddies… it most certainly got us to the show on time. I need to go back in September now that I’m no longer tied down by the school calendar and just ride this one all day long.
Maybe I can catch all five limos.

Sound like a good plan to any of y’all?

Chill!

Having used up our current Fast Pass, there was at least the option of grabbing another. Actually, the option was available to us as we began the process of crossing from The Streets of America over toward Sunset Blvd. As it happens, the only other attraction at HS that is truly worth acquiring a pass for just happens to be positioned smack in between those two spots: Toy Story Midway Mania. As it also happens, passes for that one tend to dry up before noon in the summer time. As it also happens, our window for acquiring such passes did not open up until well after the last one was scarfed up.

Not Good…

Remember also that I said earlier there were a large number of them there matching tee-shirt wearing, tour-guide with a flag pole following gaggles of young folks that tend to be oblivious to the existence of anyone beyond themselves? Well by then we’d identified over a dozen such individual groups of this strip within the park, and just take a stab as to where the bulk of them happened to be congregating right about now…

(It appears we were being “paid back” for passing by the other bunch of them back over at the RnRRC)
More not good…

I don’t believe the wait time display for the TSMM stand-by queue had quite enough digits to accurately convey how long we’d be standing “on line”.

But let me say this about that…
We have been on it before and it is a lot of fun, but…
(and let me get my shield out here before y’all start heaving stones and half eaten mickey-bars at me),
But… it just ain’t worth that kind of a wait.
To us… It just ain’t.

Ok, ok, y’all settle down and chill out a bit here. I will say that the various arcade games are certainly entertaining enough, but to me the best part of that ride when the car zips from one spot to the next. What can I say, I like’s me some quick motion. And there are a number of other attractions where your vehicle may well zip from one place to another. The boys didn’t want to be doing that much standing either but their reasoning was different. They’ve been playing video games sense before being potty trained and these aren’t all that new, different, or exciting to them. Are the very cool? Yes, but are they a necessary experience? Nope, not as far as they were concerned.

That made the next decision easier for us.
Time to call it a day for Hollywood Studios.
Time to get out of the heat for a bit, chill out and make definitive plans for how we’d be spending the evening. We did stop just long enough to buy some assorted Slushies to aid in the chilling process. And then it was back toward the main entrance…

C05-221_zps29d8efcf.jpg

…onto the tram, and then back out to the car. About a minute or two of idling with the A/C on full blast drove the Florida head out of the cabin and we then deftly made our getaway back to the Bayou

C05-222_zpsd6cb32dc.jpg

Bus, schmus, I’ve decided I rather like leaving the driving to me.

Anyway, we fell into our little partition of building 36 and commenced the chillin’ in earnest. Once again the boys shot out for the pool and once again mom and dad redoubled our efforts to consume all the rum. Shortly after we declared ourselves to be thoroughly chilled, the entirety of Port Orleans decided that it desperately needed to chill as well and the great torrential down poor of the day descended upon the entire Buena Vista area…

C05-223_zps8e3e12e6.jpg

As you might imagine it wasn’t long after the rain started that the young’ens arrived back at the room. As you might also imagine, it wasn’t all that long after they arrived that said rain finished up and moved on. The boys sould’a just waited it out. Heck, they were already wet anyway. But then again, it was approaching dinner time by now, and this way I didn’t have to hike up there to fetch ‘em. So really it was for the best. Once everyone got dried, dressed and organized we climbed back into the car and headed out to tackle the second half of the day. A quick stop at the dining hall for a bit of supper and we were back out in The World.

Next up: Munchies around the World​

Ok, I was going to award a point for the first sentence.
But the second sentence took that point right back away.
You don’t get the good parking for the hike into Universal, you get it for the painful slog back out.
Net result, you break even at zero.

But what I am going to do for you is laugh my *** off at you once you get old enough and broken enough to realize the wisdom of it.
So you got that goin’ for ya’.
So you paid extra for what? The ability to park on a lower floor in the garage? We drove into the garage, parked, walked maybe 100 yards to an escalator and then rode moving walkways to City Walk.

Just brutal after all the walking we did in the park. :rolleyes1

While no longer even close to being the major draw it once was, the “Tour” is still the only way one can catch a good glimpse of the park’s original and rightful icon: the “Earful Tower”. Or its smaller cousin for that matter…
The tour is just a sad, sad reminder of what used to be something awesome.

It’s a bit sad really to think that for us, the major reasoning for choosing to hop on this particular attraction was driven mostly by the ambient temperature combined with sheer expediency.

But the truth can be harsh.
It is sad, indeed. If ambient temperature is your reasoning, you could at least choose something with air conditioning. :lmao::rotfl2:

The Tram ride through now mostly abandoned workshops and greatly scaled back bone yards is a bit more pathetic then enlightening though. The derelict props that have been sitting in these old sections of the park are considerably worse for ware and most are not particularly current or topical. You do get to see a little behind the scenes action of the LMA! show which happened to be in progress at the time so that was pretty cool.
Yep... when the highlight is seeing the backside of another attraction that is on equally slippery footing for it's fight to stay in the parks, you know you're in trouble.

Yet, any excuse for simulated floods and more things exploding is still a welcome diversion.
You get even hotter from the fire... but you might get splashed by the water. It is like hot day roulette.

The boys are pure carnivores through and through. They tend to avoid “rabbit food” at all costs.

We ended up getting a rather decent lunch at a quick service in Hollywood Studios.
:rotfl2::lmao: You know, none of the QS places there are unusual or flashy, per se, but I've always had decent meals there and from Backlot Express and the market places over on Sunset Blvd. They could do better with restaurant theming, but it isn't bad.

This is another attraction that I make a point to catch whenever we’re in the Studios. If you’re into the details, this is the pace for you. There are so many site gages and outright puns (visual and printed) that it’s nearly impossible to take them all in during a single visit.
It is definitely a must-do! :thumbsup2

I rather enjoy getting into the preshow theater early enough to see the bulk of it
I completely agree. We walked in last time and they were opening the doors to go into the show. We basically skipped the pre-show. I'll admit, I was pretty disappointed.

I understand that they’ve recently updated the video to have Constantine from the new film take over the preshow. I’ll have to wait and see if that’s an improvement or intrusion, but I’m hopeful.
hmmmmmmm.... interesting. I look forward to seeing that.

It was time to take a ride; the grandest ride in the Studio.
Excuse me folks, I’ve got a limo to catch and you better make that a Supper-Stretch…
:woohoo::goodvibes:hyper::hyper::hyper:

The Rock’n’Roller Coaster may not be the biggest, badest coaster on the planet, but it is one of the most fun all around experiences.

As of now at least, you can tell them apart by the various vanity tags on the back bumpers like so:
Hmmm... well, I learned something new today.

Apparently I always ride in UGOBABE, H8TRFFC and 2FAST4U.

And apparently, the last 2 trips, I got H8TRFFC every time I rode. I thought they'd changed it and were just playing "Back in the Saddle" all the time.

Having used up our current Fast Pass, there was at least the option of grabbing another. Actually, the option was available to us as we began the process of crossing from The Streets of America over toward Sunset Blvd. As it happens, the only other attraction at HS that is truly worth acquiring a pass for just happens to be positioned smack in between those two spots: Toy Story Midway Mania. As it also happens, passes for that one tend to dry up before noon in the summer time. As it also happens, our window for acquiring such passes did not open up until well after the last one was scarfed up.

Not Good…
So you just get another one for RNRCC. It is a pretty simple decision. :rolleyes1

I don’t believe the wait time display for the TSMM stand-by queue had quite enough digits to accurately convey how long we’d be standing “on line”.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Nothing is. I mean it is a great ride, but Disney has a lot of great rides. Why would I want to tie up 2 or 3 hours of my day on one of them when I could use those 2 or 3 hours to do 2 - 4 other ones? :confused3

As you might imagine it wasn’t long after the rain started that the young’ens arrived back at the room. As you might also imagine, it wasn’t all that long after they arrived that said rain finished up and moved on.
Yep... typical Florida summer afternoon! :rotfl2:

So you paid extra for what? The ability to park on a lower floor in the garage? We drove into the garage, parked, walked maybe 100 yards to an escalator and then rode moving walkways to City Walk.

Just brutal after all the walking we did in the park. :rolleyes1

nathan-filliion-speechless.gif

We needed to find some more shade pronto. We needed an escape. Something that would get us under cover quickly, that would offer at least a modicum of entertainment value, and that just possibly may not be there the next time we get around to visiting…

The Studio Backlot Tour.

Whew. I thought you were going to say Great Movie Ride for a second there.

Rumors continue to swirl about the ultimate fate of this original park attraction. Grand visions have been bandied about that could also include the demise of the “Light, Motors, Action!” show, and maybe even the entire Streets of America Section of the park.

As always, my reaction will depend on what they replace these things with.:rolleyes1

What was once the middle of the ride, it now the beginning. The water tank (the only remaining film production portion of the proceedings) is still entertaining enough. Being the guest that gets to be torpedoed or have several tons of water dumped on them is still the rare Disney honor.

And it's still on my bucket list. :thumbsup2

C05-206_zps9c114b29.jpg

The grand finale of the riding portion of the tour is still intact, but this too is a might long in the tooth

Truth.

The boys are pure carnivores through and through. They tend to avoid “rabbit food” at all costs.

Somebody's raising them right. :thumbsup2

:eek:

Unlike the backlot tour, the Muppets 3D still retains its awesomeness.

…it reminds me more of the original Muppet Show in all its foolish and chaotic glory.

“What foolishness would you like to see?”

It truly is great.

I understand that they’ve recently updated the video to have Constantine from the new film take over the preshow. I’ll have to wait and see if that’s an improvement or intrusion, but I’m hopeful.

Haven't seen the new movie yet, so I hope they didn't ruin a good thing here.

Not to mention that Sam Eagle himself just got done explaining to you that “stopping will be distinctly unpatriotic”. So I’m imploring you: just take a radicle leap of faith here, even if it’s only this one time… Please! Just move the heck on down and let the rest of us into the bloody dang theater. Then after the show you can go right back to your normal mode of supreme arrogance, OK?

Sheese! [/COLOR][/indent][/indent]

Feeling a little testy today? Don't forget the Crop Dusting option.

and of course bask in the glory and reverence of Sam’s spectacular two hour Salute to all Countries, but Mostly America.

I still quote that all the time.:thumbsup2

The Rock’n’Roller Coaster may not be the biggest, badest coaster on the planet, but it is one of the most fun all around experiences. We’re not even in the building yet and the thing is already a blast.

(I still have not ridden this. I will go hang my head in shame.)

I need to go back in September now that I’m no longer tied down by the school calendar and just ride this one all day long.
Maybe I can catch all five limos.

Sound like a good plan to any of y’all?

I long for the days when we could go down there in September, enjoy free dining, and avoid crowds. Glorious.

But let me say this about that…
We have been on it before and it is a lot of fun, but…
(and let me get my shield out here before y’all start heaving stones and half eaten mickey-bars at me),
To us… It just ain’t.

No ride is worth that much of a wait. I also hate the pull-string thingys on the guns. But it's still fun.

Really…
You just about convinced me to stop writing entirely after the last update and now you’re complaining that I’m not writing?

Oddly, I’ve already decided against that “exact” course of action and was planning to put the next little bit up this afternoon. Still do, I’m just working on the replies before finishing up. So you’ll have something else to savage is a bit.

But I must say your timing is impeccable.

The tour is just a sad, sad reminder of what used to be something awesome.

Yep. The initial idea of HS being a working studio just never really had a chance. I think it’s best that they’ve given up on the notion and moved toward a film themed park instead. But now it’s time to do a bit of major renovation out in that back corner.

Yep... when the highlight is seeing the backside of another attraction that is on equally slippery footing for it's fight to stay in the parks, you know you're in trouble.

That assessment…
I won’t be arguing with.

:rotfl2::lmao: You know, none of the QS places there are unusual or flashy, per se, but I've always had decent meals there and from Backlot Express and the market places over on Sunset Blvd. They could do better with restaurant theming, but it isn't bad.

I think they’ve been better than my memories of earlier in the park’s history afford me. We have usually spent only part of a day here and moved on, but I’ll agree that the level of quality for the counter service at least has improved over time. They still need to do some work on the TS side of the coin though.

I completely agree. We walked in last time and they were opening the doors to go into the show. We basically skipped the pre-show. I'll admit, I was pretty disappointed.

I’ve had that happen once or twice. It's easily one of the few times when missing the preshow is considered a loss.

hmmmmmmm.... interesting. I look forward to seeing that.

Agreed. But I suspect it may not be there by the time I get back into the parks.
It will likely be next summer at the earliest and possibly longer then that.

Hmmm... well, I learned something new today.

Apparently I always ride in UGOBABE, H8TRFFC and 2FAST4U.

And apparently, the last 2 trips, I got H8TRFFC every time I rode. I thought they'd changed it and were just playing "Back in the Saddle" all the time.

I may research it farther to confirm my findings, but that’s what I was able to dig up when I was looking into it for the last chapter. The sound system is built into the front of each train, so there is no reason they can’t vary from one to the next. I had a picture of one of the cars with the nose taken apart showing the electronics, but I didn’t use it in the chapter and didn’t think to keep it on hand either. May have to hunt that back down sometime.

So you just get another one for RNRCC. It is a pretty simple decision. :rolleyes1

That’s an option.
Not a bad one actually.

Nothing is. I mean it is a great ride, but Disney has a lot of great rides. Why would I want to tie up 2 or 3 hours of my day on one of them when I could use those 2 or 3 hours to do 2 - 4 other ones? :confused3

zThis_zps2d2ab690.gif

Yep... typical Florida summer afternoon! :rotfl2:

That’s how it was when I lived there, that’s how it is now, that’s how it will be long after I’m gone.

Assuming it’s still above sea level.

Whew. I thought you were going to say Great Movie Ride for a second there.

I suspect that the GMR will still be there a while (for good or ill). The tour though. I’m not so sure of that one.

As always, my reaction will depend on what they replace these things with.:rolleyes1

There’s much I wouldn’t mind seeing happen, but no real good credible rumors floating around right now. Unless you’ve heard a few.

And it's still on my bucket list. :thumbsup2

The lines for it are so short now that you might be able to pull it off.
We were second in line and would have gotten roped into it had the first group not agreed.

Somebody's raising them right. :thumbsup2

Not eating your vegetable is easy to teach. It just happens naturally.
:lmao:

Unlike the backlot tour, the Muppets 3D still retains its awesomeness.

Yes… yes it does.
A new version of the 3D film might be good, but a piece of me hopes they leave that one alone.

It truly is great.

We have the whole series on DVD.
It travels with us on long car trips

Haven't seen the new movie yet, so I hope they didn't ruin a good thing here.

Me either, and I worry the same worry.
Haven’t even had the strength to hunt it down on YouTube yet.

Feeling a little testy today? Don't forget the Crop Dusting option.

That just happens to be one of my biggest peeves. I’m not particularly good at selfish and really don’t much like arguing. Truthfully I find myself getting stepped on by other folks a great deal due to this. It amazes me that large sectors of the populous are unable to be human enough to even share a theater without first demanding that they are better than everyone else.

I still quote that all the time.:thumbsup2

It’s flat out funny, and at times a painfully true picture of our national psyche.
Quality writing holds up.

(I still have not ridden this. I will go hang my head in shame.)

One of the days.
If you can do Everest… You can do RnRRC

I long for the days when we could go down there in September, enjoy free dining, and avoid crowds. Glorious.

Me too.
I’ve hit the point of ability, but it seems to have coincided with a point of financial challenge. Figures…

No ride is worth that much of a wait. I also hate the pull-string thingys on the guns. But it's still fun.

Obviously, I’ll be agreeing.
I’m not a fan of the pull strings either actually. It must be the limitation of the controller apparatus that results in the low scores on that ride. Couldn’t be that my low scores are really more a function on spending little to no time on video games…

blazing-saddles-325-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter