The good, the bad, the Disney - Part I.

vstitt

Earning My Ears
We'd like to send a big THANK YOU to everyone who has submitted a trip report on this message board. This DD5, DS8, DW43 and DH46 have benefited tremendously from the tips and hints we read during the six weeks prior to our 7-day Western cruise on June 8th. Your written comments provide a tremedous service to DCL vacationers.

In keeping with that tradition, I want to share some feedback on our own trip with the caveat that our opinions are just that, our own, and may not directly apply to your particular family situation. But, I hope our impressions and suggestions will be helpful for future travellers and for any Disney representatives that might read this report and are looking for suggestions on how to improve their vacation product.

As I'm writing this I can hear the kids getting into mischief in the family room, so I'm going to have to wrap this up pretty soon. I'll be segmenting my report into several parts so I can finish each section completely. Rather than writing a day by day synopsis, I thought it might be helpful if I wrote about one or two topics in each section.

P.S. : Our family of four shared a Cat. 3 room, # 8102, a one-bedroom suite room located aft on the port side. It was very large and the decor was beautiful. It was located right under Topsiders restaurant, the casual one that lots of people go to for breakfast. The verandah was huge, but not exactly private. I'm sure more than one person was amused the morning we docked in Key West. I walked out on the verandah in a bathrobe and a towel on my head and then quickly retreated when I realized everyone could look down on our verandah from the restaurant above.

So here's the first one....

Service: Pre, During and Post

We booked our vacation through our local TA in California. She had been on a Disney cruise, but frankly we got much better info. from the board, than from her. In all fairness, once I told her about a DCL cruise issue, she responded quickly.

#1: The bed situation

The good: Much to our surprise, our suite only had only one pull out bed in the living room for the two kids to share. After discovering that fun fact on this message board, we called our TA to do something about it. We knew this was going to be a problem with our kids.

After some prodding our TA called DCL. Our TA got DCL to agree to board a roll out bed prior to our arrival. Unfortunately, we didn't get to use it. There just wasn't enough room to fit it in the living room area with the pull out bed. Our room steward (who was very nice--Anastasia?) tried to fit it in, but it just wouldn't work.

The bad: As we expected, the kids snarled and bickered with each other about blankets, space, noise etc. DW and DD were kept awake while all of this was going on . This ended after three days when threats of death and toy elimination finally had the desired affect.

The Disney: O.K. Here's our recommendation to DCL. FULL DISCLOSURE. Make sure the TA's and your representatives know if there are any special "nuances" about sleeping arrangements in any room. If we had known we would have put ourselves on a wait list for another room.

#2: The room steward.

The good: Anastasia. Or room steward was charming, but not pushy. Our kids loved the towel animals and the ice bucket was always filled (except for the last day). She did a great job of using our "props" to personalize the towel animals.

The bad: Hmmm....can't think of anything

The Disney: Keep up the good work. Unlike the restaurant servers (I'll get to that later), you didn't feel like the room steward was working the rating system to get recognition or a bigger tip.

#3: Concierge Service

The good: Wow, what a difference this makes. I am so glad we had this service with our Cat. 3 room. We arrived at the ship terminal a bit later than I had hoped, about 11:45 a.m. While checking in was easy, the line to board was huge. Fortunately, I had read on this board that folks with concierge rooms had a special waiting area. What I didn't know was that we were going to be able to walk to the front of the line to be screened by security and board the boat. We did and we were very, very happy!

Just to give you a feel for the impact this made, I'll share this little story. When we were checking in we saw two cute little twin girls in stripped dresses. They got through check in before us. About 50 minutes to 60 minutes later, after boarding the ship, unpacking etc. we headed back to the lobby (deck 3?). As we crossed the lobby we saw the twins entering the ship. We would have been in line behind them if we didn't have a Cat. 3 (or 1 or 2) room with concierge service. Instead we were able to get unpacked and settled in right away. Boy was that nice.

Earlier, we had been able to call DCL and book our Palo restaurant requests (we ate there twice), request a table for four and verify early seating. When we joined the "Concierge Meeting" that afternoon in the Sessions lounge we were able to verify our reservations, make a couple of spa reservations and book our kids into camp (we received our pagers). This helped us finish all the "housekeeping" activities (without sprinting about the boat) so we could take the kids to the pool--except it was raining. Boo Hoo! You can't control mother nature.

Oops! Got to run...will finish tomorrow. VS

Well, it started out pretty good. I laughed at the death threats. That works for my girls too. My saying is "I'm going to shorten your life span". Looking forward to reading your next installment.
:)

More on concierge service...

The good: We received nightly reminders from the concierge on our appointments for the next day and information on going ashore. This was quite helpful.

The bad: nada

The Disney: I don't know if this was available for all rooms, but I know it kept us from missing appointments/reservations. Like my dentist, DCL has figured out, reminders really work!

#4 Disembarking

The good: DCL has this down. This has to be one of the most efficient processes we've ever experienced. We received our luggage tags and instructions the night before. Disney thoughtfully provided plastic security ties so we would feel confident that our luggage wouldn't be tampered with while it was out of our control.

We also appreciated the reminders about not packing our clothes we would need the last day. The stories about people going to breakfast and disembarking shoeless or worse were very funny! We took them to heart and set aside everything we needed the night before.

In addition, DCL has a process in place for returning any lost items. They announced that they would collect any lost items and deliver them to any area just outside of baggage claim. Sure enough, there were baskets of swimsuits, sweaters, underware etc...and a helpful cast member who took down my information on my lost sweater. (Oh, I guess I didn't mention that I managed to misplace my new/favorite beige sweater within one hour of coming on board. The kids suggested I write my name in my sweater next time. LOL. Anyway, customer service kept checking for my sweater during the entire cruise. I think they thought I was making it up...but there's a picture of me taken by DCL when I arrived on the boat--I'm wearing the mystery sweater--honest!!)

#5 Tipping & Customer Survey Form/Evalutiion

The good: DCL provides clear information about customary tips in the travel documents. We are first time cruisers, so we appreciated getting this information.

In addition, we received a customer survey the night before we were to disembark. We think it's great that DCL wants to get quick feedback to improve their service.

The bad: Well, we've got several issues on this one. First of all, it felt like the employees and even some management were trying to "game" the system. It was very clear to us by the first dinner that the employees were all striving for "excellent" ratings. Very good simply would not do, not for DCL. We might think a very good is an excellent rating in our minds, but that is not the way DCL viewed it. Both the service staff in the main restaurants and one of the servers in Palo's communicated that message loud and clear.

All of a sudden it occured to us where we had experienced this before...car dealer service departments. These days car dealers are so worried about their customer survey ratings (the car manufacturers read them) that they tell us if we can't give them an EXCELLENT rating (in person and later by phone) that we should let them know right away. It almost feels desperate. This is similar to the impression we were left by some of DCL's employees.

Amazingly, even when we watched the disembarkation talk by the chief purser??, he also made it clear that a "very good" rating might be equivalent to an "excellent" for us, but a "very good "was very different from the "excellent" rating that DCL was looking for. We really didn't appreciate the pushiness on this issue, especially coming from one of their managers. If someone truly earns an excellent rating we wouldn't hestiate to give them one, but we don't want to be pushed into it when it isn't earned.

The Disney: Although we tipped more than was requested on the form and also tipped additionally at each meal for wine etc., the process felt unpleasant. For many families, tips of at least $300 for a family of four is a substantial amount. They need to be able to plan for that expense. DCL should make prospective travellers aware of this WHEN THEY ARE GETTING A QUOTE ON THE CRUISE--not just later in the cruise docs.

In addition, we found the Palo tipping/fee thing was confusing. We tipped extra above the additional charge ($10pp?) but it wasn't clear what was appropriate.

On balance DCL service and efficiency was great, but their tipping/rating system is causing servers to be too pushy about wanting high ratings and tips--it takes away from the Disney charm.

The practice of pushing for an excellent rating is common place on most cruise ships. It can be anoying but on the otherhand there monthly salary is around $100 so they live on there tips. I would rather they work for it than barter for it.

As you can see, the tipping question is answered here. A family of 4 on a 7 day cruise can figure $305.00 if they follow the tipping guidelines.

Help! I'm really confused about tipping!
We'll make it easy. Of course, you should never feel that a reward is automatically expected from you. But it is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will most likely be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, may we suggest the following:
We have followed these guidelines on all cruises except for the Head Server whom we have never tipped. On our cruises we have found he only comes around on tip night.

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server 11.00 14.75 25.75
Dining Room Asst. Server 8.00 10.75 18.75
Dining Room Head Server 2.75 3.75 6.50
Stateroom Host/Hostess 10.75 14.50 25.25
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion

For your convenience, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine, and deck service tabs. All gratuities can be charged to your room charge.
At the Walt Disney World® Resort, 15% is the customary gratuity at restaurants and bars.

Did I understand you correctly? You were able to make reservations at Palos before boarding the ship? Also, you can actually attend a concierge meeting and they'll set up your spa reservations as well and get your kids signed up in the O'Lab?

I wonder if they would add my sister & her 2 daughters since they are traveling with us but happen to be in a separate room w/o concierge. I also wonder if they would allow them to board the ship with us. Your thoughts?

I have a question regarding tips: The room stewards, for example, on a 7 day cruise, are supposed to be tipped at least $25.25, per person in the rooms. If they work an 8-hour shift, they would probably be able to clean about 16 rooms per day, give or take. If these rooms each had 3 people in them who adhered closely to the tipping guidelines, the room steward, in tips alone, would stand to make $1200+ per week. I've never been on a cruise, and although I do plan to tip according to the guidelines when I am lucky enough to do so, I was wondering if anyone else thought that this is quite a large sum to be earning as a housekeeper?

I think they work 12 hour shifts, maybe even more. Seems like our stewards have been in the hall every time we went out or in. Let's say they do make $1200 a week and we divide that by 7 12 hour days. That would equate to about $14.30 per hour if everyone tips like the guide suggests. Me, I would not do what they do for twice that.
Russ

ruvidu-I'm sure you're right! I was just discussing this with my husband & he was telling me what he's heard about cruise staff, and how they really work their butts off & then some. He broke it down about the same way you did, and in that light, it does seem like a paltry sum for hard work.

It is good that you have this insight befoe going on your first cruise. I think most people take them for granted. My wife and I are just so amazed at what they accomplish each day for each guest. We try to say Thank You each day as well as leave the tip they deserve.
Have a Great Cruise - You will love it.
Russ

Just to reiterate, we believed our room steward was excellent (Anastasia) and she received the largest percentage "extra" tip above DCLs recommendation. We also mentioned her on our survey form. However, we felt some of the other servers (waiters) were too pushy and a bit intrusive in their quest to make sure we gave them an excellent rating.

Here's one of our experiences. For background, we had a table for four. No one was sitting with us, so our absence or tardiness wouldn't hold up someone else's dinner.

The the second and third nights we skipped the formal dinner seating because we were eating at Palos and the kids preferred the hot dog place. We told our waiters the night before the first missed dinner that we would not see them next day, but we didn't have a chance to tell them we wouldn't be at dinner before we missed our second dinner( on the third night).

I had a feeling this was going to be a problem and I was right. Sure enough, two minutes after 6:00 p.m. on the fourth night we received a call from the waiter wondering if we would be coming to dinner that night. It was only 6:02 p.m. We felt like we had to apologize for missing a meal. I know that seems silly, but you've got to understand how anxious these folks are. We were just running late. Getting two kids changed and out the door can be like herding kittens. Perhaps they felt that calling us was an example of delivering an excellent level of service, but it was perhaps a bit more attention than we really wanted.

You be the judge.

VS

Yep, we were able to book Paolo, dinners and brunch, request a seperate table for four and verify shore excursions with a Cat. 3 room. However, we didn't receive anything in writing that told us we could do this. We learned about it from the board. I called our TA and asked her to contact DCL and find out who we should talk to about this service. She found the person and I talked to DCL's customer service rep a few times before the trip. She said they send their concierge customer's requests to the ship about a week before it sets sail.

Also, when we went to the concierge meeting the first afternoon they had a limited list of spa times set aside for concierge customers. They also had pagers with them that they assigned to any families with kids in the clubs. We never had to do the formal registration at the clubs. All we had to do was check the kids in and out.

I don't know if you can link a non-concierge room with a concierge one to get better service. You'll have to ask DCL about that one.

Good luck,
VS

Originally posted by vstitt
Yep, we were able to book Paolo, dinners and brunch, request a seperate table for four and verify shore excursions with a Cat. 3 room. However, we didn't receive anything in writing that told us we could do this. We learned about it from the board. I called our TA and asked her to contact DCL and find out who we should talk to about this service. She found the person and I talked to DCL's customer service rep a few times before the trip. She said they send their concierge customer's requests to the ship about a week before it sets sail.VS

VS-

I've been unable to get hold of a phone number to call for advance concirege guests, and my TA is in the hospital :(

Can you send me that number?

Thanks!

Anne

Originally posted by vstitt

Also, when we went to the concierge meeting the first afternoon they had a limited list of spa times set aside for concierge customers. They also had pagers with them that they assigned to any families with kids in the clubs. We never had to do the formal registration at the clubs. All we had to do was check the kids in and out.

VS
Do you remember what times they had set aside? I'm worried I'll do the concierge, and by the time I figure out they can't accommodate the times I want, I'll have missed booking them myself at the spa! :eek:

Do you think it would be better to go to the spa yourself when they open instead of relying on the concierge?

Last...did concierge book appointments for the hair braiding done aboard ship?

Thanks..your reports are great!

O.K. Let me try to answer all of the good follow-on questions I'm receiving.

1. I don't have the phone number for the concierge anymore. If you have a Cat. 1,2 or 3 I'd call DCL customer service and go from there.

2. Yes, we were able to book hair braiding at the concierge meeting--and I am really glad we did. It was very popular and they did a good job. They did the braiding right by the Mickey pool so it worked out great. I was able to keep an eye on DS at the same time.

3. If I had a very tight schedule, I would go directly to the SPA to book appointments. We only book one spa treatment and one hair cut through the concierge. If I was booking more I'd go directly to the SPA.

4. I'd make sure I got to the concierge meeting within the first 1/2 hour its open. I speng 1 hour in there--I finally sent DH and kids off to explore other things. I met with three different concierge staff members. The first one went fast. The second two required long waits. By the time I left the wait to meet with the conciege staff was even longer. It can take some time to make booking decisions.

Good luck,
VS

OK, let me see if I have this straight.

1. I can call 60 days in advance and make my excursions and Palo ressies?

2. I'm going to head to the spa to make my own appts so I can get the times I want.

Is there anything other than signing up for the kids club that I need to do at the concierge meeting?

Also, what time does this meeting start, do you remember?

Originally posted by ruvidu
I think they work 12 hour shifts, maybe even more. Seems like our stewards have been in the hall every time we went out or in. Let's say they do make $1200 a week and we divide that by 7 12 hour days. That would equate to about $14.30 per hour if everyone tips like the guide suggests. Me, I would not do what they do for twice that.
Russ

And that's assuming that they don't get stiffed their income by cheapskates. ;)

The room stewards and waitstaff get peanuts in actual wages and have to rely solely on tips for their income. So yes, they will bend over backwards and sideways for you, only to ensure that you won't stiff them at the end of the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter