The good, the bad, and the ugly: ASMu?

paintnolish

<font color=darkorchid>You'd think a sniff in the
My mom and I are taking the two babies (4 mos. and almost 3 yrs.) to WDW in Nov. We usually stay at CSR but couldn't get into that or any other mod during our trip time. I want to take advantage of free dining and go before ds is 3 in Dec. so this is it: ASMu or sports were all that were available.
I think it will be fine because factoring the price in, but please share with me your experiences. This isn't a once in a lifetime trip (we go yearly) and will be back in July at CSR. Thanks!

ASSp is well laid out with furthest rooms not too far away from the main building. Also the food court has been recently refurbed. Finally, if buses are shared with the three AS resorts the ASSp is usually the first pick up and drop off. For these reason's I would choose ASSp over ASMu.

ASMu is prettier, IMO. If you book preferred rooms, this is a nice resort. It seems to have fewer large teen groups, but that might just be the luck of the draw for the times that I have stayed here. If you are staying in standard rooms, be prepared for a fairly long walk to the Main building, food court and bus stops.

Rooms in both resorts are basic, but comfortable. I have stayed many times in all three AS resorts and enjoyed every stay. It is a good budget choice and a great value with free dining.

Thanks! I just read that the food court will be refurbed while there, so I may switch to sports. Busses aren't too big of a deal because we will rent a car and only bus to MK.

My mom and I are taking the two babies (4 mos. and almost 3 yrs.) to WDW in Nov. We usually stay at CSR but couldn't get into that or any other mod during our trip time. I want to take advantage of free dining and go before ds is 3 in Dec. so this is it: ASMu or sports were all that were available.
I think it will be fine because factoring the price in, but please share with me your experiences. This isn't a once in a lifetime trip (we go yearly) and will be back in July at CSR. Thanks!

It's lovely. The landscaping is mature, and the layout is straight line front to back. You can use all the pools and food courts at all 3 All-Stars so you gave a ton of options. If you have a standard room then you can request Jazz which is still close to the main building. You are between both pools that way too.

Don't expect amod and you won't be disappointed. To us ASMu is the best value at Disney for layout, convenience and style.

We loved our stay at ASMu. It was our first trip and after all the negative things I'd heard about values (loud, noisy, crowded) I was a little apprehensive. But it was quiet, never really felt excessively crowded, and the service was outstanding. To date that trip was our best stay at a value.

We've stayed at all the AllStars and I would go with Sports in with your group but especially for resort layout, cheerful theme and the new food court.

ASMu is our least favorite resort. It is laid out completely different than the other values in that it is oblong with the main hub being at one end and the standard rooms at the other end. It is a long walk particularly if you are bringing along little ones. The theme itself is barely Disney which it may appeal to many older folks but I can't imagine staying there with kids. Last trip we ended up just getting in our car and driving to parks and other resorts to eat. It was quiet back there but isolating.

Add to that, as you have seen, the permits are in for the food court rehab and it will probably be closed this fall, with finish date January 30, 2015. Not a big deal most trips for us but if on a Dining Plan, it would be, especially with young ones. Now you would have to walk over to Sports (new food court) and Movies for any hot food.

After numerous stays at all the values (except AoA where once was enough) AsMusic is my favorite for what Ppers have mentioned--straight forward layout, seems quieter than the other values as it attracts honeymooners and adult visitors on a budget.

I've always had excellent customer service there in over a dozen stays.

After numerous stays at all the values (except AoA where once was enough) AsMusic is my favorite for what Ppers have mentioned--straight forward layout, seems quieter than the other values as it attracts honeymooners and adult visitors on a budget.

I've always had excellent customer service there in over a dozen stays.

We stayed there 2 years ago in the fall. It was nice, and I agree- if you aren't comparing it to a mod, you'll be fine.

My dh requested a "quiet room" and trust me it was definitely quiet. However, it was the longest walk to get from the buses to our room, especially at the end of the day with two young children.

We didn't experience and loud groups (now ASmovies in Feb is another story!) and it was mostly families and couples.

Thanks, all. I just called today and switched to Sports. I really don't want to deal with the food court being closed at Music. I'm not a sports fan at all, so I'd never choose Sports, but I am a fan of cheaper wdw trips, so this will do. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, all. I just called today and switched to Sports. I really don't want to deal with the food court being closed at Music. I'm not a sports fan at all, so I'd never choose Sports, but I am a fan of cheaper wdw trips, so this will do. Thanks for the advice!

I don't think you will find the sports theme that bad. Before my first stay there I felt the same way as you. Sports theme? Um, ok I guess. But Disney made it so that the theme isn't overbearing. The preferred rooms have a surfing theme, and are very pretty with lots of bright colors. The other sports are done in a cute manner too.

I just wanted to reassure you a bit.:)

Thanks. My least favorite wdw hotel is still a Disney hotel. I'm really looking forward to the trip. We usually go in summer, but I can't handle the heat and walking at 7 mos preg. This will be a nice, inexpensive trip with me, grandma, and my two littlest ones. I can't wait for free food (prefer to not be tied to ADRs with the little ones) and to not be drenched in sweat all day, either!

We've liked both sports and music. I'm not into sports either, but it's not like they make you play football or anything. :)

Now I'm thinking that I should change our reservation to Sports instead of Music! We booked a preferred room at Music, but then realized that the food court will be out of service. We just went this past fall (stayed at Pop) and didn't really use the food court, so maybe it won't be an issue? My kids are 4 and 6...what to do, what to do...

I don't think you will find the sports theme that bad. Before my first stay there I felt the same way as you. Sports theme? Um, ok I guess. But Disney made it so that the theme isn't overbearing. The preferred rooms have a surfing theme, and are very pretty with lots of bright colors. The other sports are done in a cute manner too.

I just wanted to reassure you a bit.:)

If you booked preferred, I would agree with maxiesmom and suggest requesting the Surfs Up section.
If you booked standard, I would suggest the Home Run Hotel section (baseball). It has a kind of old-fashioned, All-American feel to it which I really liked even though I'm not a sports person. The only baseball I ever watch is when DS plays. It's also where the "quiet" pool is located, which is a nice bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter