The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I apologize if this is in here somewhere as I’ve been reading the recent posts but didn’t go back through all 200 pages….but the issue of times changing is that only with the individual LLs for purchase or with every Genie LL? I’ve never used G+…so at 7a when everyone is choosing their first LL, and say I choose Slinky…will everyone see the 9a slots open since everyone trying within fraction of a second and then it will adjust your time to something later as you click through the screens? or as soon as I pick Slinky at 7:00:03 it will show 5p or whatever right from the start?
I have never found it to move out quite that fast. more than once we clicked on Slinky at 7:00:00 when the return time showed as 9:00 (which was when the park opened then). Once we got a return of 9:10 and the other time we got something like 9:50.

On our trip in March I wanted a return time of about 5 PM because we were starting the day at EPCOT. So, starting at 7:00:00, I refreshed a few times until the time on the Tip Board showed as 4:30. I clicked on that and got a return time of 5:15.

I’ve been stalking the ROR 7:17 drop for a few weeks now in anticipation of our upcoming trip. Today was the first I didn’t see them appear then, which made me think maybe I should just grab first available at 7:00. Just when I was feeling confident in my strategy!

I’ve been stalking the ROR 7:17 drop for a few weeks now in anticipation of our upcoming trip. Today was the first I didn’t see them appear then, which made me think maybe I should just grab first available at 7:00. Just when I was feeling confident in my strategy!
We arrive next week so this scares me a bit. Don't you think it may have to do with one of the busiest weeks of the year?

Word is out on these drops. Going faster 😔
I noticed that the 7:17 ROTR drop seemed not as consistent today. Not sure if that's because of higher crowds this week or the fact that a certain blog (not THAT one) posted an article to social media yesterday about the 7:17 phenomenon.... I'm hoping it's just Easter week

So just to clarify - my understanding is that if we get ILL or book a G+ ride, and the app switches times on us during checkout and the new time conflicts with a reservation we already have, the cast members can help with this...is that right? How do they pick the "rebooked" time? We have reservations at Savi's and Space 220 on our HS day, so I'm worried about conflicts 😅

HS day Wed 20th. Plan is grab 7am ILL for ROTR and LL for SDD. We will rope drop and hope to walk-on some rides…. MF, TOT, TS, RNR all are on our wishlist. Which ones should we try to walk-on and which can we grab an LL for after the 120 minute rule? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HS day Wed 20th. Plan is grab 7am ILL for ROTR and LL for SDD. We will rope drop and hope to walk-on some rides…. MF, TOT, TS, RNR all are on our wishlist. Which ones should we try to walk-on and which can we grab an LL for after the 120 minute rule? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Previous posters have had good success RDing (with early entry) TOT, RNR, and MMRR (in that order). Last week we did MFSR, TSM, and MMRR in the first 45 minutes using early entry. On 4/8, MFSR ran out of G+ first, which I think is standard. I remember MMRR and TSM still being available around 12-1, not sure about others.

Last edited:
I would rope drop ToT, RnRC and MFSM in that order. TSM usually has availability last the longest (still available as of 11:55 today), plus it takes awhile and eats into precious morning time.

I noticed that the 7:17 ROTR drop seemed not as consistent today. Not sure if that's because of higher crowds this week or the fact that a certain blog (not THAT one) posted an article to social media yesterday about the 7:17 phenomenon.... I'm hoping it's just Easter week
I noticed again today that there weren’t as many times for ROTR at 7:17 as there usually have been. The first return times that showed up were a little later and they didn’t last that long.

But, at about 7:20, earlier times appeared (starting at 8:30 AM) and lasted longer.

So, the last two days, the window that had been opening at 7:17 has been opening around 7:20.

Have another question! Arriving late Sunday afternoon at Epcot. Plan to have stacked rides for the evening. Need TT with an evening return time. Is it simply luck of the draw Or do I wait until 7:02 or so hoping for evening. Or should I just keep refreshing until I see those evening times pop up? Thanks in advance.

Good success with genie+ and ILL today (Good Friday)

Frozen twice during Early Entry
Test track standby (20 min)
Soarin standby (20 min)
Remy (ILL)
Rose and Crown lunch, hop to HS

Tower of Terror (genie #1)
Slinky Dog (genie #4)
Rock n Roller Coaster (genie #2)
Rise of Resistance (ILL)
Star Tours
Dinner - left before riding Alien Swirling Saucers, which was our 3rd genie selection.

Wife and dd4 returned to Epcot after a break and used LL for 2nd rides on TT and Soarin and a 3rd on FEA

Last edited:
Have another question! Arriving late Sunday afternoon at Epcot. Plan to have stacked rides for the evening. Need TT with an evening return time. Is it simply luck of the draw Or do I wait until 7:02 or so hoping for evening. Or should I just keep refreshing until I see those evening times pop up? Thanks in advance.
I would keep refreshing. Based on thrill-data most days it takes a few minutes but there have been a few days where it went quicker. That said, if you miss it (or your time changes too much between screens), there’s usually another “drop” of times (around 7:08/10ish).
The other option is the single rider line if nothing else works.

My apologies, if I missed this in the thread, if I book my first LL for the park I have a reservation for and then start stacking for park hopping, does the 2 hour after park hour opening rule for the second booking follow park opening time for the park we have the reservation for or for the park we are hopping to and trying to book the second LL for? thx

My apologies, if I missed this in the thread, if I book my first LL for the park I have a reservation for and then start stacking for park hopping, does the 2 hour after park hour opening rule for the second booking follow park opening time for the park we have the reservation for or for the park we are hopping to and trying to book the second LL for? thx
It follows your second booking - ie. you make your first booking for AK and AK opens at 8am. You can make your second booking for whatever park you’d like at either 10am OR after you’ve tapped into that first LL at AK. Then you use the 2 hour rule, so since it will be after 2pm before you use your next LL, set your alarm for two hours and make another.

So just to clarify - my understanding is that if we get ILL or book a G+ ride, and the app switches times on us during checkout and the new time conflicts with a reservation we already have, the cast members can help with this...is that right? How do they pick the "rebooked" time? We have reservations at Savi's and Space 220 on our HS day, so I'm worried about conflicts 😅
Yes, at least they were on my trip in March (blue umbrellas). For us, they asked what I originally chose and changed it to that (some people had screenshots but I didn’t think to do that, but it wasn’t an issue). I’ve heard of others who got anytime passes, but I wouldn’t expect that. The other option I’ve heard and observed working is to show your ADR reservation to the CM at the ride when you show up late. It’s easier to fit your party on a ride then a full restaurant. We did get a very kind CM who let us on JC early (17 mins) when I showed her a Steakhouse 71 reservation but she said it was a one off and they prefer you to either change things at the blue umbrellas or show up late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter