The Future Of Mission: Space

What will happen to Mission: Space in the future?

• It will stay the same.

• It will be toned down more.

• It will be changed drastically. (I.E., become a big movie-theater-like attraction.)

• It will be destroyed.

• I don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I personally will never ride MS "as is". I love everything else in WDW (especially things like RnRC, ToT, SM, etc). But there is a history of heart disease in my family; I am 42 yo and just feel it is an unnecessary risk for me. Whatever it is that might be triggering extreme responses in peple is not something I want to experience. I am glad the ride is there for the rest of you who feel it is safe for you, but I will never ride it. JMO.

Sadly, I think there must be others who feel like I do. This is probably not what the imagineers were shooting for when they designed M:S

Personallly I loved the ride and have been on it 7 or 8 times in two trips. I think it is the main reasons to visit EPCOT, although I know the park appeals to others becuase everyone is different.

It did seem toned down in 2004 from when I rode it in 2003. The lines were large then so it is a total suprise that it is not busy now.

Sad story anyway you look at it.

bicker said:
Perhaps they should make the "training" aspect of the ride more significant, including signing a release (by a parent if underaged).

That and maybe an addendum to the warning sign that says, "If you have an undiagnosed medical condition, this ride may be your last." Warnings are one thing but IMO wavers suck all the fun out of the Happiest Place on Earth.

I think they should tone it down a little. There are all sorts of people with undiagnosed health problems in the parks. That's why they call them undiagnosed- no one knows they are there. It's just not worth it IMO.

bornandraised said:
This sounds really bad, but I don't know and I really don't care. I think Mission Space is a one time experience and not worth the line to ride it again. It was a unique expericence but nothing special. The force that's put on you is like RnR except you don't get the thrill of going through loops or speed. I actually would like if they put something like Philharmagic in there, but about space. It could be just as cool but then you could keep the building and everything.
No, that doesn't sound really bad. Its exactly what I think. Its a one-time experience that nothing special.

Personally, I'd like to see it closed so that WDW will feel obligated to open the Wonders of Life again. And if I really had it my way, I'd bring back Horizons.

I voted that it would be destroyed.

This is not what I hope will happen though. My kids and I loved MS and plan to ride it again... if possible.

I'm afraid the public outcry, and Disney's need to keep the masses happy, could mean the end of MS.

No one, I repeat NO ONE should have to worry about dying at Disney World!!! Period!!! It's DISNEY!!! They are adding thrill rides to compete or at least take business away from the other parks and this is why Disney, IMHO, is failing us. I loved when Epcot was educational and they have slowly been replacing all the original, wonderful attractions with thrill rides. I say, if you want thrill, go to Universal or Bush Gardens, if you want Disney magic, go to Disney. I wish the Disney folks would realize that some of us just don't need thrill, we just love the magic. And people dying, no matter what their "conditions", just isn't magical. It is heartbreaking that good rides are replaced with dangerous ones just for a good bottom line. Terrible, tragic, inexcusable!!!!!!!

I don't think they'll change the ride at all. It's much less intense now than when it opened. And, while tragic, two deaths is not an epidemic that would cause Disney to dump a $100 million ride that has ushered millions of riders through safely. People should better know their limits, IMHO. Again, it's terrible what's happened, but as of yet, there is no evidece to suggest that the ride was the direct cause of death. Attributing the lack of lines to their desire to shut it down, Disney has had a lot of rides whose lines are practically non-existent and they don't shut the ride down. Further, the ride can accomodate 165 individuals at a time, so they move people through realitively quickly.

I think the idea for MS was clever, but I don't think it's much more than that. I went on it when the year it opened and haven't been back on since evenm though I' ve been back to the park. I don't know, I don't really like it that much. I understand that Disney made it the way they did for the authenticity of it, but I think they need to tone it down. Actually, to be honest with you, it wouldn't mean a thing to mer if they just removed it altogether and replaced it with something enjoyable...But that's just me.

I think the idea for MS was clever, but I don't think it's much more than that. I went on it when the year it opened and haven't been back on since evenm though I' ve been back to the park. I don't know, I don't really like it that much. I understand that Disney made it the way they did for the authenticity of it, but I think they need to tone it down. Actually, to be honest with you, it wouldn't mean a thing to me if they just removed it altogether and replaced it with something enjoyable...But that's just me.

Everyone keeps talking about Horizons. I can't remember it- can anyone clue me in? Was it the one where we got to see scenes from the future?

From a story on the NY Times website: "The Orlando Sentinel said today that a review of ambulance records showed that of 8.6 million people who took the ride before the death of the boy in June, 143 sought medical attention."

Jennifer_Jayhawk said:
From a story on the NY Times website: "The Orlando Sentinel said today that a review of ambulance records showed that of 8.6 million people who took the ride before the death of the boy in June, 143 sought medical attention."

Which means that one in 60,000 people who ride this have a severe enough reaction to warrant medical treatment. Is that frequent enough to consider the ride hazardous? I don't know. I have ridden M:S twice. Each time I have left with an intense dizziness and vertigo sensation, but no nausea or vomiting. I don't think the ride is good enough to suffer these side effects, but I wouldn't call them overwhelming by any means.

Disney cannot force people to heed their warnings. People must think about their own health conditions before riding, and should try to make sure that they are aware of any particular limitations they should follow.

Tim, who thinks it's tragic that something designed for fun could lead to heartbreak - but it unfortunately happens. :sad1:

The aura of this ride potentially causing death to anyone who has an undiagnosed condition is simply too "un-Disney." It starts to go past "thrill-ride" and ends up being a "risk-ride" and I just can't see them wanting to have that conotation associated with them.

One out of 60,000 isn't a lot (getting medical attention) but it seems likely to be significantly higher than other "thrill rides".

I think Disney pushed it too far this time and they will tone it down somehow. The alternative of stating the truth ("This ride has caused death due to undiagnosed conditions - ride at your own risk" - which will become necessary if the current pace of one death a year keeps up) clearly will be unacceptable in any theme park, much less Disney.

There has been a direct cause death at Disneyland on Big Thunder Mountain, and that ride continues to operate.

That was a very different situation. The ride malfunctioned and therefore was shutdown for weeks while the investigation took place. The issues were corrected, and the ride re-opened. (Though somewhat disturbingly, it had another minor accident while no guests were on it several weeks later.)

Similar to the way the accident on California Screamin' was handled, though nobody died.

With M:S, the ride is operating as it was designed. Shutting it down could be viewed as an admission that it may not be safe even if operating as designed, and I'm sure Disney doesn't want to give that impression.

I personally voted that it would be toned down. While I personally would have prefered they take the pavilion in a different direction to begin with, they have too much invested in the ride to scrap it, unless they absolutely have to.

"The Orlando Sentinel said today that a review of ambulance records showed that of 8.6 million people who took the ride before the death of the boy in June, 143 sought medical attention."

I assume this doesn't count those who may have been affected but did not seek medical attention? It would also be interesting to know if that was 8.6 million "rides", or 8.6 million different individuals.

They are adding thrill rides to compete or at least take business away from the other parks and this is why Disney, IMHO, is failing us.
That sounds silly to me: Satisfying customer needs isn't "failing" -- quite the opposite.

I loved when Epcot was educational
You, me, and a few other people. It isn't all about (only) us. We're not all that matter. Epcot needs to satisfy the general public.

As far as I can tell, this ride is not "satisfying needs". If you read the other posts, many people are saying they come off the ride dizzy and nauseous. My husband was feeling "funny" afterwords and it took him three days to recover and my 14 year old was throwing up for the rest of the night at our hotel. Many people also stated that they have no interest in ever going on it again. Who's needs then, is Disney "satisfying"? Certainly not their own either, as this latest tragedy will bring them even more negative publicity. Walt Disney himself said that he built his theme park so that families could enjoy their time together. All I am saying is that the extreme thrill rides should not be replacing perfectly good family rides.

I have only rode M:S once. Not because I had any issues at all. More that it was did it once, don't care if I do it again. The story seemed lacking to me, as it ends with guests making a crash landing on Mars and that's the end. :confused3 It just seemed lacking to me.
DH likes it, and rides it occasionally.

After I rode M:S we immediately went over to Nine Dragons and ate dinner. :thumbsup2

I do less well on spinners than coasters and drop rides. They don't make me sick. But would eventually if I kept riding it repeatedly.
People just handle rides different. My sister can't take drops, so won't ride ToT or rides like DCA Maliboomer (or USO Dr Death).
Some can't take heights and won't ride Soarin'. Others can't handle the circlevision movies. Some are squeamish in Tough To Be A Bug.

DH wil ride ANYTHING. The more it mixes him up, the happier he is. :crazy:

Most of us each have something that bothers us one way or another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter