The FullTiming Thread

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
Lately we have been dreaming/scheming of fulltiming. Share your thoughts on this. Also if anyone has already done this, tips? How did you scale down?

Good morning. Although we are not full-timers, we wish to someday soon. For three years, we have been following about ten blogs of full timers, their work camping experiences for some, how they downsized, etc. if you wish their sites, let me know, and I will pm you. In the meantime, we try to stay about three weeks at the Fort, and then several longer trips around the midwest in warmer weather. Still waiting for spring to arrive here in Wisconsin, but looking forward to our late December,January stay at the Fort.

This is my dream one day too! It is a long way off for me though. I once met a super nice couple at a campground in Indiana while they were stopping overnight on their way to Michigan for the summer.

They were full timers in a class A. They would spend their winters in Florida and worked for Disney in the gift shops. Their kids would bring their grandkids down over Christmas break and they would treat them to park tickets with their cm perks. then in the spring they would drive back to Michigan and stay the summer in a campground that had a pool and watch their grandkids all summer long while the parents worked. Then in the fall they would head back to Florida and their part-time work at Disney.
Sounds like heaven to me!!

I am Jealous. I would love to be a Full timer. Not sure if the DW would go for it. Somedays she says yes, others she says no. It doesn't matter, it's too difficult for us right now anyway. still have a dd at 10 and both DW and I are too young to retire. Don't have enough money to do the Fulltiming thing (well other than our full time jobs) and neither of our jobs can be "Mobile" (Although I am trying to get one of them now).

Alas, maybe when we win the lottery or that long lost relative that is loaded remembers us in their will. :)

My options are actually pretty open. Being a nurse practitioner I see part time openings and temp work listings all the time. The problem is finding one in an area that I would like to camp at. I did some travel nursing for a time before we had kids, but none since then. I would take vacation time from my regular job and go take an assignment for a couple weeks and then return to my regular job. The possibilities exist, just no rock solid.

I could see if Disney could use some part time help in their medical clinics or doing physicals for their CMs.

Lately we have been dreaming/scheming of fulltiming. Share your thoughts on this. Also if anyone has already done this, tips? How did you scale down?

We aren't full timers, but we have had friends who have gone that route. We are retired, but I love my home and numerous flower gardens too much to full time in an RV - just not the nomadic type! LOL

We 'do' take several trips a year in our class A MH and love every minute, but after 2-3 weeks max we are both ready for our 'real' home! Was at FW 2 weeks end of Feb. into March, but we could never just stay there - too many other places we enjoy camping - especially the Smoky Mtns.

Also, have too much 'stuff' and am not ready to scale down, even to a smaller home - would be a nightmare having to decide what could 'fit' into a mh - could never go that route. :scared:

Sure hope you can follow your dreams - it 'is' possible - just takes lots of work and will power!! :-) Wish you all the best!

My parents have a class A and head to Florida right after Christmas and stay until the end of March (or later if the snow hasn't melted in PA yet...). By the end of their winter, they are ready for their house and hobbies that don't travel well (woodworking, gardening...). While I can see the draw of full timing once we are old enough to retire, I can see my DH and I being similar to my parents - needing our space and hobbies after a few months being on the road.

I would like to full time when I retire, but I expect I will still have a house or condo. It would just be small. I don't like clutter and am quick to throw things out. My current hobbies would not be constrained by being in an RV. Now even full timing I still expect I would stay at campgrounds for at least a month.

1) We have a few "almost" full-timers.
2) They keep making new reservations in order to stay.
3) They used to be able to reserve 6-continuous-months at a time, but no longer.
4) The place is too popular for WDW to permit this to continue.
5) Instead, we have folks who camp elsewhere and work full or part time at The Fort.
6) Best of both worlds
. . . cheaper campsite rental
. . . still in-the-middle of things

My DW loves the Jayco's particularly the smaller ones. They seem so well laid out (at least the ones we looked at). I will say that the sliding "Patio" doors scare me on a "Vehicle" like these. Inevitably there is some "Twisting" (even if slight) of the frames, and I would just be too afraid that it would eventually lead to "Leaking" of rain water (or water thrown up from the road when driving in nasty weather) and then of course ruin the Trailer.

www.rvnetwork.com/ escapees discussion forum with lots of helpful information

Talking to some friends I'm getting a hint that full timing has changed over the years from the.....being able to drive up to a place and drive right in, not too expensive to live, happy go lucky, life is soooo much better, don't worry-be happy lifestyle to a much higher $$$$$$ dependent life thus causing some who were once able to make it on far less reserves having a difficult time surviving and forcing them back to stick house.

@John VN , I think this is a result of "RVing" becoming popular and enjoyable. On one hand it has become affordable to people who might never have done it before. (The RV's cost comparable to incomes has gotten closer) however, many of those places that used to be affordable to go to have decided to "Capitalize" on this explosion of RVers. As such they charge for every little thing (and at a premium) they can, making it less affordable (particularly for the "Full timer"). It's sad though, because I'd love to be able to get a nice Class A (or similar) and just spend time traveling the country and be able afford it, but I guess I will just have to be happy with my occasional trips in my TT.

We like this one. It would look good sitting on a lake somewhere. Give us the pros and cons.
http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2015-jay-flight-dst/38fkds/

Denise, is it just me but the trailer in that photo doesn't appear to match the floorplan shown with it (window and door locations, etc.). Did you actuallyl see the unit pictured or the one in the floor plan and did they match up? Just curious. Even though I don't have a Jayco popup anymore, I still believe they build a great product.

Bama Ed

I'll vouch for Jayco campers. Got a 32BHDS that I am really pleased with except for a leaking issue with the outdoor kitchen but their 2 year warranty (best of anybody) covered it.

I could live out of it easily with all the room it has.

I will say that the sliding "Patio" doors scare me on a "Vehicle" like these. Inevitably there is some "Twisting" (even if slight) of the frames, and I would just be too afraid that it would eventually lead to "Leaking" of rain water (or water thrown up from the road when driving in nasty weather) and then of course ruin the Trailer.[/QUOTE}]

We would change that to a RV door and window. Good catch. I also think they are too easy to break into.
www.rvnetwork.com/ escapees discussion forum with lots of helpful information

Talking to some friends I'm getting a hint that full timing has changed over the years from the.....being able to drive up to a place and drive right in, not too expensive to live, happy go lucky, life is soooo much better, don't worry-be happy lifestyle to a much higher $$$$$$ dependent life thus causing some who were once able to make it on far less reserves having a difficult time surviving and forcing them back to stick house.

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking not too much moving around. South in winter, north in summer.

Denise, is it just me but the trailer in that photo doesn't appear to match the floorplan shown with it (window and door locations, etc.). Did you actuallyl see the unit pictured or the one in the floor plan and did they match up? Just curious. Even though I don't have a Jayco popup anymore, I still believe they build a great product.Bama Ed

I'm guessing they used the same outside picture for all the Destination units. I haven't seen one live and in person.

I'll vouch for Jayco campers. Got a 32BHDS that I am really pleased with except for a leaking issue with the outdoor kitchen but their 2 year warranty (best of anybody) covered it.

I could live out of it easily with all the room it has.

We've owned 3, we like them also. Have looked online at others, just don't like, so far. Where is Frank gonna keep all his fishing stuff and tools?

Denise, if you buy one like mine he will have an entire room in the back for these supplies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter