the frog princess

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by KPeveler, Mar 8, 2007.

1. KPeveler

KPeveler DIS Veteran

Have we heard anything about this movie? is it really happening? is disney really making a hand-drawn animated move? i miss the "old" animation. does this mean they may be re-opening a studio in FL or CA?????? :woohoo:

please, disney, bring back the classic animation!:yay:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Another Voice

Another Voice Charter Member of The Element

It was the big announcement today at the stock holder's meeting. Here's the write-up from The Hollywood Reporter:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i1d2e0aab626463e8060c28ae0f156415

There is a rather intense corporate battle going on between Pixar and Disney Feature Animation. A lot of DFA's future rides on Meet the Robinsons - and now that people are getting a look at that film it seems Pixar is winning all the battles.

4. KPeveler

KPeveler DIS Veteran

YAY :dance3: :woohoo:

so do we know what studio it is being drawn at? (wow, that was good english!)

5. Another Voice

The buzz is that it will be in Burbank. Some of the traditional animators were "retained" to become CGI animators, they can go back to their old jobs. I expect most people working on the movie will be hired from the street. It will take more battling from Pixar before Disney hires a permanent staff of animators.

The Florida Animation Studio is closed for good. There's not even a hint of it every reopening.

6. Keyser

Keyser Mouseketeer

Hmm... While it seems like they have a lot good people on board with this one, this part worries me a bit - I hope they're letting the story drive the movie, rather than trying to make a movie in order to fit in a checklist of things they're wanting to do (i.e. support New Orleans, get an African American princess, add a new singing animal they can sell plush toys for).

7. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression

That hasn't been Pixar's M.O., but you're right that its going to be in the backs of people's minds now that they are Disney, and checklist filmmaking has been Disney's M.O. more often than not lately. But I think Pixar is safe from that pressure for awhile.

8. stczt

stczt DIS Veteran

sounds interesting

9. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

the only problem for me is Randy Newman doing the music

10. LIFERBABE

LIFERBABE DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV

:rotfl2: I agree!

Im sorry, but there is nothing soulful about Randy Newman! Michael Bolton has more soul!:lmao:

11. canda

canda a Dis board vulture

they can get Hillary Clinton to voice the princess.:happytv: popcorn::

12. annakris1973

annakris1973 Mouseketeer

13. muse_ginny

muse_ginny Earning My Ears

Oh she's pretty!

I'm excited that there's a black Disney Princess! Yay for diversity AND a new handdrawn Disney movie.

14. DancingBear

DancingBear DIS Veteran

I'll speak up here in support of Randy Newman. The guy can write a tune--see "I Love to See You Smile" from Parenthood, or "You've Got a Friend in Me" or "Woody's Roundup." Would you be surprised that he wrote the song "You Can Leave Your Hat On" that Tom Jones sang in The Full Monty?

And he wrote a whole album, "Good Old Boys," about Louisiana.

Word on the 'net is Lasseter forced Clements and Musker to take Newman over their choice Alan Menken.

15. EUROPACL

EUROPACL DIS Veteran

What you were expecting an ugly princess...maybe one hooked on meth and haveing more eyes than teeth.

16. Keyser

Keyser Mouseketeer

I might be confused, but didn't Menken write the music for several of the newer Disney "classics" - Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin? If so, I'm honestly surprised that someone would prefer Randy Newman to Menken. A few of Newman's songs are kind of catchy, but nothing I've heard from him (which admittedly is kind of limited - I haven't heard some of the songs you mention) hits the level that I'd think would make the new movie a "classic" on par with some of those earlier ones.

17. DancingBear

DancingBear DIS Veteran

Yes, Menken wrote those musicals. As far as I know, Newman has never done a true musical with lots of songs, but he's done many soundtracks with integrated songs or theme songs, including:

Toy Story 3 (2009) (filming)
    Cars (2006)
    Monsters, Inc. (2001)
    Toy Story 2 (1999)
    A Bug's Life (1998)
    James and the Giant Peach (1996)
    Toy Story (1995)
    Ragtime (1981)

And many other soundtracks. His Academy Award nominations and one win include:

2007 Nominated Oscar Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song for: Cars (2006) For the song "Our Town".

2002 Won Oscar Best Music, Original Song for: Monsters, Inc. (2001)
    For the song "If I Didn't Have You".; Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Score for: Monsters, Inc. (2001)

2001 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Song for: Meet the Parents (2000) For the song "A Fool In Love".

2000 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Song for: Toy Story 2 (1999)
    For the song "When She Loved Me".

1999 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Dramatic Score for: Pleasantville (1998); Best Music, Original Musical or Comedy Score
    for: A Bug's Life (1998); Best Music, Original Song for: Babe: Pig in the City (1998) For the song "That'll Do".

1997 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Musical or Comedy Score
    for: James and the Giant Peach (1996)

1996 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Musical or Comedy Score
    for: Toy Story (1995); Best Music, Original Song for: Toy Story (1995)
    For the song "You've Got a Friend".

1995 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Song; for: The Paper (1994)
    For the song "Make Up Your Mind".

1991 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Score; for: Avalon (1990)

1990 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Song; for: Parenthood (1989)
    For the song "I Love to See You Smile"

1985 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Score; for: The Natural (1984)

1982 Nominated Oscar Best Music, Original Score; for: Ragtime (1981); Best Music, Original Song for: Ragtime (1981) For the song "One More Hour"

18. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression

First, both of these gentlemen have doen a LOT of great work for Disney and Pixar, so I would never dream of knocking either one.

This is from Mr. Menken's bio on imdb.

It's probably fair to note though that his work on Mermaid, Beast and Aladdin was part of a collaboration with the late Howard Ashman (Mr. Ashman was the lyricist).

Mr. Menken also worked on Home on the Range, which shows no composer can save a bad movie.

Here's another note from Mr. Newman's bio on imdb:

If Frog Princess is really a true musical, then it does sound like something more up Mr. Menken's alley than Mr. Newman's.

But like I said, they've both done a lot of great work, so its hard to fault either choice. I know some of Newman's stuff seems "quirky" to some, but I've also been surprised more than once to find he was the composer of the score for a movie. Most notably The Natural.

19. Another Voice

The issue from my point of view is that what made Alan Menken's music so interesting was mostly Howard Ashman's lyrics. Mr. Menken's work with others has not reached Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast status. And while Mr. Newman can right great movie songs that hit a specific emotional beat at a specific moment, it will be interesting to see if he can write songs that are not only good listening, but also move the plot and advance the character at the same time. That's not easy to do.

20. DancingBear

DancingBear DIS Veteran

BTW, James and the Giant Peach had 4 songs (one of which used words by Roald Dahl which I assume were in the book). As far as I know, that's the most in any Newman score.

21. Keyser

Keyser Mouseketeer

Interestingly (thanks to Wikipedia), I find that Randy Newman also wrote (in addition to lots of stuff I haven't heard or don't remember) "I Love LA" and the theme song to the TV show Monk (both are kind of obvious in retrospect, but I hadn't realized it). Two more catchy songs, which at least I personally like. He evidently also wrote a stage musical (that wasn't tremendously successful).

That makes sense - though I would say his "When She Loved Me" song from Toy Story 2 did help move the plot and certainly advanced the character. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with, and to see whether the movie will be a full musical or just have songs in the soundtrack. I would guess that "singing alligator" == musical, though.