• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Franco bunch's first summer vacation Trip report from Summer 2013

Well thanks Brett. I agree, a honeymoon weekend trip without the kids would be nice. But it would have to be in secret and we would have to take it to our grave because our little girl would loathe us for going to Disneyland without her. :guilty: . With that extra money we saved, we ended up using it for a down payment for our new(ish) car. It's gonna be an awesome trip. One question I have for you, How do you take such nice WOC without a tripod? Is it just experience has taught you how to steady your hands or is there a trick you know?

It is always great to have a honeymoon trip without the kids. That is a smart move to use the extra money that you saved on a new car. Hope that you and your family have a great trip.

I just carried my DSLR camera in my hands and took pictures of WoC. I have learned from other DISers like PrincessInOz, etc. who have shown me what settings to use during the nighttime shows from WoC, fireworks, and F!. I have also learned over time when I been taking pictures of the nighttime shows of what settings to use and the pictures are getting better and better.

For my pictures of WoC that I have took during my January trip I set these setting on my camera. Exposure at 0.05 sec (1/20), Aperture f/3.8, and ISO speed 1600

8415150532_e17f93801a_c.jpg

I'm Here!!!! I guess I didn't realize you had a report going......but then again, I was trying to finish the one before I left on this last one, I'm thinking I was being somewhat selfish and only worrying about my own reports. :sad2:

I see you've made up your mind on where to stay. The thing I always say about spending the money at the resorts vs staying cheap across the street......ask yourself~how much time do you plan on staying in your room. If you're up early and gone all day.....spending Disney prices for a room probably isn't worth it. If you think you'll be spending the afternoons in your room or taking advantage of the programs, pools, etc back at the resorts....then spending that extra money might be worth it. The only reason we were able to stay there in December was because my son was a CM at WDW and he got a special holiday discount of 60% off. Otherwise, we would have stayed at HoJo's or another one across the street. This last trip, I basically spent our entire tax refund to treat Nick & Marie since they weren't able to join us for the family trip.

Comparison: We stayed 7 nights in Dec. and 5 nights this past trip. It ran me $600 more this trip for our room. Usually, our family trips do not include the resorts. I LOVE staying there and would do it every trip if possible.....but our normal family budget would NOT include the resort hotels. They are VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

I love having money to do all the character meals, have meals at our favorite spots and lots of souvenir money. So if I had to chose between a resort room over the meals/souvenirs......I'd chose the latter.

Mike & I did our 25th anniversary in 2009 and we splurged on the DLH for 2 nights (while the kids all stayed at the Motel 6). We then moved to a Good Neighbor motel and still had a great time!! So if you feel the need to give it a try......see if you can budget in one night. Maybe for an "off" park day, so you can swim, let the kids watch cartoons in the kids room and where you can check out the entire resort, etc.

As for the picture taking for the parkhoppers......they have a person that stands in front of the turnstiles that has a smartphone where they scan your ticket to see that your picture matches before allowing you to go thru the turnstile. The first time you use them, they will take your picture with the phone, make sure your name is put on the back in sharpie and then allow you thru the turnstile. It does slow things up, but they are getting better at it.

I'm Here!!!! I guess I didn't realize you had a report going......but then again, I was trying to finish the one before I left on this last one, I'm thinking I was being somewhat selfish and only worrying about my own reports. :sad2:

I see you've made up your mind on where to stay. The thing I always say about spending the money at the resorts vs staying cheap across the street......ask yourself~how much time do you plan on staying in your room. If you're up early and gone all day.....spending Disney prices for a room probably isn't worth it. If you think you'll be spending the afternoons in your room or taking advantage of the programs, pools, etc back at the resorts....then spending that extra money might be worth it. The only reason we were able to stay there in December was because my son was a CM at WDW and he got a special holiday discount of 60% off. Otherwise, we would have stayed at HoJo's or another one across the street. This last trip, I basically spent our entire tax refund to treat Nick & Marie since they weren't able to join us for the family trip.

Comparison: We stayed 7 nights in Dec. and 5 nights this past trip. It ran me $600 more this trip for our room. Usually, our family trips do not include the resorts. I LOVE staying there and would do it every trip if possible.....but our normal family budget would NOT include the resort hotels. They are VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

I love having money to do all the character meals, have meals at our favorite spots and lots of souvenir money. So if I had to chose between a resort room over the meals/souvenirs......I'd chose the latter.

Mike & I did our 25th anniversary in 2009 and we splurged on the DLH for 2 nights (while the kids all stayed at the Motel 6). We then moved to a Good Neighbor motel and still had a great time!! So if you feel the need to give it a try......see if you can budget in one night. Maybe for an "off" park day, so you can swim, let the kids watch cartoons in the kids room and where you can check out the entire resort, etc.

As for the picture taking for the parkhoppers......they have a person that stands in front of the turnstiles that has a smartphone where they scan your ticket to see that your picture matches before allowing you to go thru the turnstile. The first time you use them, they will take your picture with the phone, make sure your name is put on the back in sharpie and then allow you thru the turnstile. It does slow things up, but they are getting better at it.

Yeah, that was our logic for not staying this time. We ended up getting a new apartment because it was taking too long to close on something. The money we saved, we used for a used 7 passenger SUV(which isn't going so well atm) and we figured none of that would have been possible if we would have spent the extra 1300 for staying 3 nights at PPH. Maybe next time. :wizard:

I hope they do fix the turnstile issue as I've only read bad things about it.

Oh yeah, thanks for joining!

Hello every, sorry I haven't updated in awhile been real busy. I am almost done with school at Berklee online and putting my 40 hours finally at Best Buy. My wife is still loving her new job and we both got a couple toys to celebrate our hard work.

Hers

acura by Bubbleboi85, on Flickr

and Mine

Mustang by Bubbleboi85, on Flickr

The Acura will be used for our Disney trip but the 'Stang will be for our Vegas trip a month later. We will be moving into our new place one month before our trip so to help calm our Disney nerves we will be doing a Disney themed dinner,movie night. Starting the week after May 17th. If you can I would love suggestions for the movie, we will do the rest. I feel it will be more of a challenge to do a theme for a movie we did not choose. The movie with the most suggestions will be the winner for that week. I would like to start it off by asking for a suggestion for our first Disney Movie theme. and go.......

Did you do a theme dinner and movie yet?? My suggestions are Mary Poppins or Who framed Roger Rabbit?

Did you do a theme dinner and movie yet?? My suggestions are Mary Poppins or Who framed Roger Rabbit?

No, you were the first and only reply. But yo made up for it by giving 2 incredible ideas. My mind instantly went to work with what we could do. Proper English food mixed with some pub food or Classic Los Angeles foods. We move this weekend and the dinner is the weekend after to celebrate our first week in the new place.

Well darn to late for movie suggestion. I was thinking of cars though -- just 'cause of the move and taking new cars and all LOL you know what I mean. Nice to have a trip report and get to watch a family grow and kids growing up.

One of my favorite pictures is the kids big smiles, yet it is or has been raining at DL. Kids do not care if it rains they are at DL so all is good. Well the Christmas pics are so inspiring to say the least.

Just one question about the car choice. What are you thinking-- LOL a sweet ride like the mustang-- and 3 kids, does your wife ever get to ride in it--:). My son-in-law had one but ended up selling it when baby got here. He said just not enough room. Good thing Momma got a "family car" :).

Hope move goes easy and fast. Grats on new jobs and school nearing end. My dad went back to school when I was 4 or 5 -- took him 7 + years to get his engineering degree. Parents had 4 kids then added one more when I was almost 13. I wonder if little bro was a graduation gift LOL. When people would ask about brother-- we would tell them OH, the 4 of us are from my dads first marriage--- :). Never told them so was little brother.

Anyhow I am here and reading. I don't reply very often-- but I am here-- enjoying your trip and trip reporting.

:) Patty

Well darn to late for movie suggestion. I was thinking of cars though -- just 'cause of the move and taking new cars and all LOL you know what I mean. Nice to have a trip report and get to watch a family grow and kids growing up.

One of my favorite pictures is the kids big smiles, yet it is or has been raining at DL. Kids do not care if it rains they are at DL so all is good. Well the Christmas pics are so inspiring to say the least.

Just one question about the car choice. What are you thinking-- LOL a sweet ride like the mustang-- and 3 kids, does your wife ever get to ride in it--:). My son-in-law had one but ended up selling it when baby got here. He said just not enough room. Good thing Momma got a "family car" :).

Hope move goes easy and fast. Grats on new jobs and school nearing end. My dad went back to school when I was 4 or 5 -- took him 7 + years to get his engineering degree. Parents had 4 kids then added one more when I was almost 13. I wonder if little bro was a graduation gift LOL. When people would ask about brother-- we would tell them OH, the 4 of us are from my dads first marriage--- :). Never told them so was little brother.

Anyhow I am here and reading. I don't reply very often-- but I am here-- enjoying your trip and trip reporting.

:) Patty

Thank you Patty, actually the first week we were fighting over her taking it too much. LOL. But yes, when I have my days off she takes Nightwing(The Mustang) and I take Alfred(The Acura). The acrua fits 7 easily so its the car we use the most. I like the cars idea too, we could do five and diner foods, burgers and milkshakes. You are also not late, we don't move till this upcoming weekend and will not do the meal till the week after we get settled. Thanks for the reply, its good to know others are reading my Trip report besides myself. I go through it to look at how fast they grow up. My daughter graduates Kindergarten this year and we are putting our son in Pre-school already. Its crazy.

Moved in- Check
Photopass+ - Check
Car inspection - Check
Time off Approved - Check
Character meal reservation - in progress

We are still up in the air for 1 of our 2 character meals. Ariels Grotto is locked in for my wife and daughter but we are not sure about Surf's Up or Goofys Kitchen. I am always ready for a good breakfast but my kids are not big on scrambled eggs and potatoes. Goofys Kitchen offer the widest variety. Do you think making reservations is required for these 2?

As for our Disney Theme Dinner night we will go cars themed for our first one as I will still on my vegan cleanse diet. So far lost another 10 lbs. I might just be at my 220 lbs weight target for the trip. We will then probably go with Mary Poppins and serve some tea & crumpets with Fish and Chips before we leave on our trip. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hey Mark,

Nice to see that you are a few weeks away till your trip to the DLR. I haven't eaten at Surf's Up at PPH. But I did eat at GK in January and I thought it was a nice place to have breakfast. GK Brunch did have a lot of variety of food to choose from. You should ask Sherry E about both Character restaurants since she has ate at both places before. She encouraged me to eat at GK over PCH Surf's Up during my trip and it was very nice to eat at GK. I would make reservations at both places. GK can be very busy if you don't have a reservation. Since it is during the summertime they will be busy. I would call first thing so you can get a time that you want to have breakfast. I made my reservations 60 days in advance and we were lucky that we made reservations at GK since when we got to GK, there were quite some families waiting to get into the restaurant.

Thanks, I will definitely call now. Just gotta get with the wife and plan out times and days. I hope they can take all my reservations at once. I read they take you credit card info to make sure you don't cancel without penalty. I was thinking GK for the variety of food and Characters. I bought my Photopass + and the photo ops Ive seen from GK seem more enticing. I hope to take some good pics, reading your TR inspires me to take equally as good of pics as you.

Thanks, I will definitely call now. Just gotta get with the wife and plan out times and days. I hope they can take all my reservations at once. I read they take you credit card info to make sure you don't cancel without penalty. I was thinking GK for the variety of food and Characters. I bought my Photopass + and the photo ops Ive seen from GK seem more enticing. I hope to take some good pics, reading your TR inspires me to take equally as good of pics as you.

Your welcome. Hope you can get all your dining reservations for your trip. I have never gave out my credit card information when I call the Disneyland dining or WDW dining when I make reservations in the past. But recently after my May trip I believe starting May 9th, the DLR is now taking CC info when you make a reservation. As you have said that if the party does not cancel the reservation on their day, they will be charge $10 per person. This also applies with Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I don't like giving out my CC info but this is a good thing to have at the DLR so that the groups will have to show up or cancel so they won't be charge if they don't want to show up. I always call the DLR if we don't want to eat at the restaurants if I have made a reservation since I feared the possibility of being charged for a no-show.

Sherry E did get me hook on GK during my January trip with a young child. Just as you said that GK has a variety of choices to eat over all the other character breakfast restaurants at the DLR and a lot of different characters to meet. If you want to meet a specific character like Ariel, Belle, etc. the choice is Ariel's Grotto or Mickey, Stitch at PCH Surf's Up at PPH. When I looked at those choices, we decided to head on over to GK for brunch to meet all the different characters and we went to AG to meet the princesses for dinner which turned out great.

Thank you and I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures from your trip.

We're back, 2nd degree burns and 1200 pics later. Not happy to be back in this 120º weather. :furious: I work all day tomorrow but should be slowly adding my updates along this month because I have another trip to Vegas less than a month from today!!!

Well, almost 1 year later I've decided to start my update. It will also help hold me over for my B-Day trip in Dec. Lets start the show! The Drive to Cali was very fun this time. With the kids thinking we were on our way to Grandma's house it was very nerve racking for us. I kept wanting to talk Disney but did not want to spill the beans. So I put on Spotify and what do you know, Disney songs are pumpin through our speakers. (forgot to change playlists) I must say its always fun driving away from 110º weather.

Waking up from naps
Untitled by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Some Serious bed hair

He just wanted juice and crackers

I had to let the wife drive as I had recently suffered panic attacks :confused3 (to be later attributed to drinking energy drinks frivolously). I felt much better with her driving the whole rest of the way....said no husband ever! Just kidding guys. I did feel better though as my panic attacks had began to calm a bit. Snapped a couple pics from a rare perspective for myself.

I'll have to describe this next part to you as I have no idea how to post video. As we approached harbor from Katella my daughter caught daughter caught on. She started asking if this was where Grandma really lived and then....Boom ToT appreared and she started screaming "I knew it!" My wife asked her if she was upset we weren't actually gonna see grandma and she shyly said "not really". :rotfl2: My little one was just kicking back wondering what all the commotion was about. We had one more surprise, we weren't gonna do our normal routine of check in, walk DTD, rest wake up, then go into the land. No, we were checking in the heading on into the happiest place on earth. So we checked into Park Place Inn and got into gear and head to extend our So Cal City Pass to a 5 day DLR visit. The new picture taking , ticket singing program turned getting into the park a 2 hour proccess. But it was not the last time we would have our picture taking at the gates.(seemed to be 3 out of the 5 days). More to come in a bit.

It was now well past lunch time, and we were all hungry. That meant a quick stop at the little red cart with those golden delicious hand dipped corn dogs(Oh, now Im hungry).

We ate them up quick and started discussing what to do first. Well as you would have it, we heard the parade music starting up down the way. We quickly grabbed some hot concrete and waited for the show. With the sun pounding that day the hot concrete was no joke. I literally burned my butt. And thats no joke. Even tried sitting on a changing pad only to have to switch cheeks every few minutes or so. With a full stomach and a seared rear end I was in it to win it and had to get some killer pics now. Here comes some photo's to get that image of my burnt behind out of your head.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Mid Air Shot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter