THE FORCE… THE FOOD… THE FLOWERS… A MAY 2015 DINING (mostly) REPORT - COMPLETE

Joining in. I am glad that the Brown Derby is still doing the Dining with an Imagineer. We did that 4 years ago and loved it.

Breakfast at Club Level Polynesian – Thursday, May 14

The next morning, just as we would nearly every morning of our stay, we popped into the King Kamehameha concierge lounge for a quick bite to eat and a cup of coffee. It was nothing outstandingly fabulous (I’m really not much of a sweet pastry girl when it comes to breakfast, but luckily my menfolk are.) But there was a nice selection of cereals, juices, coffee, fruits, and breakfast rolls. I must confess that I was not inspired enough to take a photo, but luckily, there are several to be found online to choose from, and here are two nice ones (courtesy of DisneyDaddy and wdwinfo) so that you can see the setup.

Concierge%20Lounge%20Breakfast1_zpsh9vgbpxp.jpg
Concierge%20Lounge%20Breakfast2%20juice%20bar_zpswjctzc2e.jpg

DH left the resort at about 8:30 AM. He wanted to get to Hollywood Studios right around opening time of 9:00AM, as he had tickets to the Galactic Gathering Event for the Star Wars merchandise offering, beginning at 10:00 AM. DS and I walked around the Poly at our leisure, and headed to the bus stop about an hour later where I took a photo in front of the pond in front of the Polynesian, and then a mother/son selfie on the DHS bus. We can be very silly when the two of us are alone together. There will be more evidence of this later… bet you can’t wait!

051415%20Mike%20at%20Poly%20pond_zps4wiz0yl9.jpg
051415%20Mike%20Les%20on%20bus%20to%20DHS_zpsj2mmc9db.jpg

Lunch at Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner – Thursday, May 14

We arrived at DHS, and headed for Min and Bill’s for lunch, but first had to make a quick pit stop for another goofy picture, courtesy of a PhotoPass photographer on the main drag.

PhotoPass_DHS%20Les%20Mike%20Silly%20Original_zpswmurhoco.jpg

DS has got the Miley Cyrus tongue thing going on (heaven help me), and I think I look like a deranged Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy. Happy Happy, JOY JOY!

89718be8-af82-4453-adad-133fb8a79d48_zpsmrtze3el.jpg

Alrighty, then. Back to lunch. I could prattle on about how we were pressed for time and had to find somewhere quick to eat before our first FastPass for Star Tours expired at 12:30, and so chose the nearest quick service option to meet up with DH after his shopping trip in the galaxy far, far away… but it would be a total lie. What I was really after was this:

051415%20Churro%20Milkshake_zpsupfdcrt2.jpg

The seasonal Churro Milkshake from Min and Bill’s. (the angel choir sings..)

And because I am a reprehensible (errr… I mean RESPONSIBLE) parent, we actually had some protein to go with our dessert. Behold the Frankfurter in a Pretzel Roll

051415%20Pretzel%20Dog%20Min%20and%20Bills_zpsv91kceqx.jpg

– which was probably very good, but it paled next to the Churro Shake, which was as delicious as it was rumored to be, and also sweet enough to send us into shock. I think we ordered two of each, and split the entire thing between the three of us.

DH had arrived at Min and Bill’s just in time to partake, and told us the story of his Galactic Gathering experience. While he was glad that he had gone, he stated that he probably would not go again, given the opportunity. He said it was a bit of a zoo and unorganized. Also, the scalpers were out in full force, and were sweeping items off the shelves into big bags, because there wasn’t a merchandise limit being enforced. We saw several of them later on, walking out toward the main entrance. They were so loaded down they could hardly stumble back to their cars. DH checked ebay for kicks, and saw most of the merchandise already for re-sale at double or triple the price. On one hand, it disgusts me, but on the other hand, Disney must find it a lucrative side business to continue holding these merchandise events and NOT put a limit on purchases. So, I guess I’m torn. I wouldn’t want them so stop – because they CAN be very fun, and these special ticketed events add to the park experience for us.

DH also had a D-Tech Me appointment to get one of this year's offerings, which was a Jedi Knight figurine but with his own face scanned and molded onto the body. It is just the coolest thing, even though you don't receive the final product for several weeks. Here’s the final result:

051415%20DTech%20Shawn%20Jedi%20Figurine_zpsln1saahk.jpg

These are really fun. This is what he and DS got last time we attended Star Wars weekends. Technology is pretty cool, huh?

DTech%20Carbon%20Freeze%20Me%20for%20Trip%20Report_zpsm3fystpd.jpg

We spent the rest of the early afternoon riding two scheduled FastPasses: Star Tours and Toy Story Midway Mania (I didn’t try to inflate my score this time – I do passably well on TSMM), and we used our final FastPass to attend the 1:00 PM Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt show. It’s been a few years since we’ve seen it, and the rumor is that it will be closing someday soon to make room for new attractions, so I’m glad we took the time. It’s a fun show, and I enjoyed seeing Lightning McQueen. I may be wrong, but our last visit may have been pre-Cars, so that part was new to us.

051415%20Stunt%20Show%20Lightning%20McQueen_zpsljyii1ve.jpg

We left the park around 2:30 to take DS back to the Polynesian, so we could get ready for our “date night” dinner!

Lunch at Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner – Thursday, May 14

DS has got the Miley Cyrus tongue thing going on (heaven help me), and I think I look like a deranged Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy. Happy Happy, JOY JOY!

89718be8-af82-4453-adad-133fb8a79d48_zpsmrtze3el.jpg

Alrighty, then. Back to lunch. I could prattle on about how we were pressed for time and had to find somewhere quick to eat before our first FastPass for Star Tours expired at 12:30, and so chose the nearest quick service option to meet up with DH after his shopping trip in the galaxy far, far away… but it would be a total lie. What I was really after was this:

051415%20Churro%20Milkshake_zpsupfdcrt2.jpg

The seasonal Churro Milkshake from Min and Bill’s. (the angel choir sings..)

And because I am a reprehensible (errr… I mean RESPONSIBLE) parent, we actually had some protein to go with our dessert. Behold the Frankfurter in a Pretzel Roll

051415%20Pretzel%20Dog%20Min%20and%20Bills_zpsv91kceqx.jpg

– which was probably very good, but it paled next to the Churro Shake, which was as delicious as it was rumored to be, and also sweet enough to send us into shock. I think we ordered two of each, and split the entire thing between the three of us.

Love Ren & Stimpy:yay:

That churro shake looks good. I wonder how "seasonal" it is. DS loves churros and shakes, so it would probably blow his mind. The pretzel dog looks pretty good too. We have never eaten at Min & Bill's, but with these offerings, it looks like a contender for a QS.

Great update. Always curious about the club level offerings for breakfast, and I guess it's just a continental breakfast then? I would need something more substantial but I think it's great if you need to grab something fast to hit the parks!

The Galactic Gathering sounded really fun but I suspected the scalpers would be there leaving nothing for us regular folk. That's nuts. I have come to expect that from all these special merchandise offerings (hmm, Force Friday is tomorrow....)!

Very cool statue of the Jedi! I had no idea you could do that. Is that something offered all year round or only during SWW?

The churro milkshake looks quite good! I can only drink half a milkshake at most but it would seem like something good to share. Anything in a pretzel bun is A-OK in my book!

We missed the Lights Motors Action! show on this trip. Let's hope it sticks around until past March of 2016 so I can catch it before it's rumored closure.

BTW, we didn't get Chef's Table at V and A but we got the Queen Victoria room. Can't wait to read about your experience!

Great update. Always curious about the club level offerings for breakfast, and I guess it's just a continental breakfast then? I would need something more substantial but I think it's great if you need to grab something fast to hit the parks!

The Galactic Gathering sounded really fun but I suspected the scalpers would be there leaving nothing for us regular folk. That's nuts. I have come to expect that from all these special merchandise offerings (hmm, Force Friday is tomorrow....)!

Very cool statue of the Jedi! I had no idea you could do that. Is that something offered all year round or only during SWW?

The churro milkshake looks quite good! I can only drink half a milkshake at most but it would seem like something good to share. Anything in a pretzel bun is A-OK in my book!

We missed the Lights Motors Action! show on this trip. Let's hope it sticks around until past March of 2016 so I can catch it before it's rumored closure.

BTW, we didn't get Chef's Table at V and A but we got the Queen Victoria room. Can't wait to read about your experience!

Thank you! Yes, club level breakfast was continental. It was sufficient, but I agree with you - continental isn't my fave. The DTech Me Star Wars is only during SWW, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure DTech has a store at Downtown Disney, but I don't know if they do anything like that. The same year the guys did the Carbonite thing, DH got a figurine of himself as a Stormtrooper, so he has two figurines aside from the "frozen in carbonite". It's really pretty fantastic. Just keep an eye out on the SWW pages if you go back. They will have the info on how to call in and make an appointment for your DTech session - it's in the merchandise hall, and they probably take appointments every 15 minutes?? I'm not sure how quickly (or if) they sell out, but I would suggest calling as soon as you hear about it. You can always cancel later if you change your mind! :)

I am so bummed that you didn't get the Chef's Table, even with my super secret hint. LOL! I had my fingers crossed for you!! But... the Queen Victoria Room is also very special, with the same menu as the Chef's Table. When we were there, Chef Scott came in to say hello to us toward the end of the meal, so it was almost the same. More romantic, that's for sure - so I'm certain you'll love it. It took me three tries to finally get the Chef's Table, and I'm sure it will happen for you someday. I think there's probably more of a chance with a long stay.. like at least a week, because you can call at the 6 month mark from the first night of your stay, but can book any night until your check out date. That's what makes it so hard to get, I'm sure, but there's more chance to eat there toward the end of your stay.

I LOVE reading all your trip reports - please write another one and tell us everything about your Queen Victoria Room experience. Hope you have a wonderful birthday dinner!!

Thank you! Yes, club level breakfast was continental. It was sufficient, but I agree with you - continental isn't my fave.

Yeah when I'm on vacation I like to have something more substantial for breakfast because it's the one thing I don't get to really indulge in daily!

The DTech Me Star Wars is only during SWW, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure DTech has a store at Downtown Disney, but I don't know if they do anything like that. The same year the guys did the Carbonite thing, DH got a figurine of himself as a Stormtrooper, so he has two figurines aside from the "frozen in carbonite". It's really pretty fantastic. Just keep an eye out on the SWW pages if you go back. They will have the info on how to call in and make an appointment for your DTech session - it's in the merchandise hall, and they probably take appointments every 15 minutes?? I'm not sure how quickly (or if) they sell out, but I would suggest calling as soon as you hear about it. You can always cancel later if you change your mind! :)

Thank you for this info! This is great to know for next time!

I am so bummed that you didn't get the Chef's Table, even with my super secret hint. LOL! I had my fingers crossed for you!! But... the Queen Victoria Room is also very special, with the same menu as the Chef's Table. When we were there, Chef Scott came in to say hello to us toward the end of the meal, so it was almost the same. More romantic, that's for sure - so I'm certain you'll love it. It took me three tries to finally get the Chef's Table, and I'm sure it will happen for you someday. I think there's probably more of a chance with a long stay.. like at least a week, because you can call at the 6 month mark from the first night of your stay, but can book any night until your check out date. That's what makes it so hard to get, I'm sure, but there's more chance to eat there toward the end of your stay.

Yeah, it was booked the whole week we were there, but the other rooms were wide open. I may call back at some other time to check for cancellations for the Chef's Table! Or maybe I'll just save it for my 50th. LOL :rotfl:

I LOVE reading all your trip reports - please write another one and tell us everything about your Queen Victoria Room experience. Hope you have a wonderful birthday dinner!!

Thanks! I most definitely will! No matter what happens, it will be a trip to remember, I'm sure!!

Dinner at Flying Fish Café Chef’s Tasting Wine Experience – Thursday, May 14

We dropped our young teenager off at the Polynesian, with instructions to head to Captain Cook’s quick service for dinner when he got hungry, and told him that he could also get a Dole Whip at the Pineapple Lanai counter if he was feeling like dessert afterward. I won’t make you wait in suspense, and will tell you that his dinner was a burger with fries and an extra-large Dole Whip, which he carefully carried back to the room. He was forced to eat his dessert first, as the Dole Whip was melting rapidly.

DH and I caught the monorail to the Magic Kingdom, where we transferred to a bus to the Boardwalk. Maybe there was a more efficient way to get to the Boardwalk, but this seemed to be the most straightforward with the least amount of walking in my high-heeled sandals. We left the Poly by 4:30 for our 5:30 dinner and arrived at the Boardwalk in plenty of time.

After we checked in with the hostess at the Flying Fish, we waited for the other booked parties to arrive (we waited about 10 minutes), and entertained ourselves by looking through the sweet shop located directly through some glass doors to the left of the check-in area. It was an adorable little shop with a variety of pre-packaged candies and gifts.

The Flying Fish Café is a beautiful restaurant with gorgeous theming. My photo of one of the main dining rooms does not do it justice. But I love those “jellyfish” light fixtures, and wanted to snap a quick pic.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Dining%20Room_zpsx9tukrjl.jpg

The Chef’s Counter is just behind the dining room, adjacent to the kitchen. The chefs took a moment out of their prep work to say hello and offer to answer any questions we had over the course of the meal. They were all very friendly and very efficient. I especially loved the wood fire grill right in front of the Chef’s Counter.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Far%20View%20to%20Chefs%20Counter_zpsvwdld5qt.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Chefs%20Counter_zpstv7cbffc.jpg

We met Lorna, our Sommelier, who is originally from Glasgow, Scotland. She was terrific, and was a wealth of knowledge throughout the entire experience. Here she is at the end of the meal, posing with DH.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Shawn%20and%20Lorna%20Sommelier_zpsbhoee5rl.jpg

The meal began with a pour of Paul Cheneau Cava Lady blanc de blanc, from Spain. (I am not very good at describing wines, but I can tell you that every wine we were poured was very good, and perfectly complemented the paired food.) This was a sparkling wine, and was paired with an Amuse Bouche of Exotic Grilled Eel and Shirred Quail Egg, served with Fragrant Miso Broth, Sea Trout Roe, Woodear Mushrooms, and Kimchee. Yum. This was slightly Asian, and the little pinkish balls on top of the egg, were of course the Sea Trout Roe. This was great, but I would have to say that the Miso Broth was the best part. (Made me want to lick the bowl, it was that good!)

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Cava%20Lady%20Sparkling_zpsgcf0j59l.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Eel%20Quail%20Egg%20Amuse_zpshjuoqys3.jpg

We were then brought our breadbasket and small pats of butter which we could add a variety of salts to. Here you can see it sprinkled with some black and brown-colored salts. I love adding a variety of salts to my butter at dinner. The little things in life make me very happy.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Bread%20Basket_zpszsvcgmrg.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Salted%20Butter_zpsmzlcsgt7.jpg

The next wine was a 2013 Singing Gruner Veltliner from Laurenz in Austria. I didn’t snap a photo of the pour, just the bottle, but it was a white wine, very nicely paired with our first course: Shisito-laced Shellfish Melange, which included Maine Lobster, Cedar Key Clams, PEI Mussells, and Key West Pink Shrimp. So this was a bit like a Cioppino or Seafood Stew, but without a lot of broth that you sometimes see. Again… delicious. I wasn’t sure what Shisito was, but it is apparently a sweet Asian type of pepper. The taste wasn’t overly powerful of Shisito, but followed the Asian-inspired theme that began with the Amuse Bouche.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Gruner%20Wine_zpsmjjfsy7y.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Shellfish%20Melange_zpszjvo8jgg.jpg

Onto the second course, which began with another white wine: a 2012 Georges Deboeuf Pouilly-Fuisse Chardonnay. Chardonnay is not my favorite, but there was nothing here that I didn’t like. It was not overly oak-y.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Pouilly%20Fuisse%20wine%20pour_zpsqjiq6hdp.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Pouilly%20Fuisse%20wine_zpsxf5nxl3s.jpg

The accompanying food was a Pan-seared Wild Scottish Salmon, served with Fava Beans (and a nice Chianti? – just kidding), Braised Daikon, Zellwood Corn and Fiddlehead Ferns with a Huitlacoche-Truffle-Aged sherry emulsion. Here it is in all its glory, and another photo close up. These Disney chefs are artists, I tell you. This was such a beautiful plating.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Salmon_zpslewfxi3s.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Salmon%20Plating_zps4dfwmrwb.jpg

The wine served with the main course was a dry red Italian blend: 2011 La Giaretta Classico, Amarone Della Valpolicella. Yummy.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20La%20Giaretta%20Classico%20Red%20Pour_zps950fjeij.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20La%20Giaretta%20Classico_zps1nirhqcc.jpg

Our main course was Oak-grilled Heritage Berkshire Pork Tenderloin with Red Quinoa, Black Mission Figs, and Fresh Spring Vegetables with a Violet Mustard and Black Garlic Reduction. Pork is not really my favorite main course, and I would have preferred a beef dish, but it was still delicious. I just picked it as my least favorite of all the courses served. I could live on seafood and beef and leave the pork and chicken to others, and never miss them one bit. The sauce, however, was to die for, of course.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Pork%20Entree_zpsu3hbzntp.jpg

And then we had to face that this wonderful meal was rapidly coming to an end – our dessert course was an Angel food Strawberry Basil Buttermilk Shortcake Delice. Oh my! Wasn’t this just perfect for a summer evening!! And get this description from the menu: Gold-dusted Lime Sugar, Brachetto d’Acqui-laced Strawberry Basil Salad, Honey-Hibiscus-Lemon Oil Reduction, Habanero-Lime-Riesling Sorbet, White Chocolate-Feuillantine Crunch, Gold-dusted Chocolate Salt Caramel Kiss Good Night. HELLO??!!!?? What master of culinary mixology came up with all of that??!! Needless to say, it was an explosion of different tastes and textures, and I would have been happy if this was ALL we were able to eat for the entire evening.

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Dessert_zpsuzjtkdou.jpg

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Dessert%20Close_zpst9al9y29.jpg

Accompanying it was a 2012 Adelsheim Deglace from the Willamette Valley, as our dessert wine. Not nearly as good as the dessert itself, but sweet dessert wines are a bit much for me. But did I turn it away? Foolish mortal….

051415%20Flying%20Fish%20Adelsheim%20Deglace%20Dessert%20Wine%20Pour_zpsmwur7ozf.jpg

We had been presented with our souvenir menu at the beginning of dinner, and I especially liked this quote from Julia Child printed at the bottom of the menu: “The only time to eat Diet Food is while you are waiting for the steak to cook.” So true - I love her!

After dinner, we strolled down the Boardwalk, intending to hear the dueling pianos at Jellyrolls, but when we peeked inside, it was deserted and dark, and just didn’t seem like an appealing party atmosphere. It was probably around 8:00 PM at this time, and I’m 100% sure that it was just too early for most people to be packing into Jellyrolls. We are not late night people, so we unfortunately probably miss out on a lot of fun after-hours. Shucks. Another trip gone with no Jellyrolls. But rather than sticking around the Boardwalk, we decided to head back to the Polynesian. The next day was the beginning of Star Wars weekends, and we had a lot of fun things planned!

Just joining in! I like dining-heavy TR's, so looking forward to reading more. Your scallops at BOG look wonderful! We have only gone to BOG for lunch, but would love to do dinner on a future trip.

Just joining in! I like dining-heavy TR's, so looking forward to reading more. Your scallops at BOG look wonderful! We have only gone to BOG for lunch, but would love to do dinner on a future trip.

Awwww, thank you for reading! I am going to try to find some time to write more. As you can see, this one has really fizzled out. Life got too busy and it got moved to the bottom of the priority pile. However, if there are still people who want to see the rest of the story, I'll do my best to make time. We've had several dinners at BOG now, and we've never had a bad meal. I highly recommend!

Star Wars Weekend Fun and Legends of the Force Parade – Friday, May 15

This day was to be our busiest of the week – we got up bright and early, so that we could catch the bus from the Poly to Disney Hollywood Studios by 6:30. We knew it was going to be very busy at the park, which was due to open at 8:00 AM. We wanted to see the Stormtrooper show before the official park opening. I think it was about 7:45 that the Stormtrooper show began. The brief show was funny, with the Stormtroopers positioned up on platforms above the crowd. They were taunting the crowd and each other, and I thought it was a nice touch to build the excitement of the first day of Star Wars Weekends.

051515%20SWW%20Stormtrooper%20Opening_zpsm8anx8m5.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Stormtroop%20Close_zpsostuwky6.jpg

Original plans were to line up immediately for photos with some of the most popular figures: Chewbacca, Darth Vader and Boba Fett. But none of us were really feeling the need, and decided to get a photo in our Star Wars-themed duds and then head to Rock n Roller Coaster instead, while most of the park-goers were distracted with the character greets.

PhotoPass_DHS%20Fam%20SWW%20Original_zpsjxnhbnqy.jpg

On the way, we saw Queen Amidala with some admirers:

051515%20SWW%20Queen%20Amidala_zpsnxvkfiz7.jpg

We had fun with two rides in a row on Rock n Roller Coaster, as this is DS’s favorite ride of the moment. Last time we visited WDW, he could only stomach it once – too scary – but those days are long over. It’s FUN to have a teenager!

051515%20Rock%20N%20Roller%20ride%20family_zpshciub746.jpg

051515%20Mike%20Ooutside%20Rock%20n%20Roller_zps2mgh8xwl.jpg

We staked out spots for the 11:00 AM parade about a half hour before it began. We didn’t get seats in the front row on the curb, but wound up standing directly behind those folks, so it wasn’t bad at all. We actually lingered for a while against the building where it was shady, and took turns going into the cool shops for a respite from the heat until it began to get a bit more crowded and we moved into position.

The first big celebrity of the parade was Jedi Mickey. He is the best!

051515%20SWW%20Jedi%20Mickey%201_zpsmtor5oj2.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Jedi%20Mickey%202_zpskmrqtt0y.jpg

An adorable Chip Ewok was next:

051515%20SWW%20Chip%20Ewok_zpsvkui5i2f.jpg

And DH’s favorite, Stormtrooper Donald!

051515%20SWW%20Stormtrooper%20Donald_zpsbuhwdvej.jpg

The 501st Legion, Florida Garrison, sent many representatives:

051515%20SWW%20501st%20Legion1_zpsp5omrnuu.jpg

051515%20SWW%20501st%202%20Stormtroopers_zpsiqg2viid.jpg

There were Jawas, Sand Troopers, and Chewbacca, who was not a big fan of getting his photo taken:

051515%20SWW%20Jawas_zpsbrfx8ogs.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Sand%20People_zpspfsems5d.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Chewbacca_zpsar6totim.jpg

And these characters – Some Fetts, Darths, R2D2, and some other cool characters from the Galaxy:

051515%20SWW%20Jango_zpskafecsq3.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Boba%20Fett_zpst5qkpzk6.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Darth%20Maul_zpsbfvphcz7.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Darth%20Vader_zps3tbtigcq.jpg

051515%20SWW%20R2D2_zpszl23xz8z.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Character%201_zpsvjcs6mdv.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Character%202_zpsj32dypkl.jpg

Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano), Amy Allen (Aayla Secura), James Arnold Taylor (Obi Wan from the Clone Wars) and Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine) were among the day’s special celebrity guests:

051515%20SWW%20Ashley%20Eckstein_zpskarxatc7.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Amy%20Allen_zpsomnfy3y5.jpg

051515%20SWW%20James%20Arnold%20Taylor_zpsjioenskn.jpg

051515%20SWW%20Ian%20McDiarmid_zps0oarksxn.jpg

Lunch at Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre - Friday, May 15

We had a few minutes before lunch, so we popped into “Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream”, which is a small museum of some of the most important events in the history of the Walt Disney Company. This was announced last fall that it would be closing, and I believe Walt Disney’s office has already been taken out of the exhibit and moved to the Burbank studios in California, so I am extra glad that we stopped in to see it one last time. I don’t know if they have closed the rest of the exhibit as of the date of this writing, but here are a few favorite photos from our short tour. (We’ve seen this exhibit before, so sadly didn’t stay here long. We were just looking for something quick to do on the way to lunch. I would have been back to spend more time if I’d known it was due to close soon.

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20Mike_zpsjntw5gs8.jpg

The original Mouseketeers have always been very dear to my heart, so I love to see Mickey Mouse Club memorabilia anyplace I can find it.

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20MMC%20Sign_zpslqya6zgj.jpg

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20Cubby%20Uniform_zpsh6b0zb90.jpg

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20Cubby%20Ears_zpsfefuhc21.jpg

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20MMC%20Record_zps99czc3uo.jpg

Walt’s Office:

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20Walts%20Office%20Sign_zpslhkmamhi.jpg

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20Walts%20Office%201_zps0mbwgvlb.jpg

And more memorabilia from the Mickey Mouse Club serials, and Annette’s “Zorro” guest role:

051515%20One%20Mans%20Dream%20Zorro%20and%20Spin%20and%20Marty_zpskjnoarjg.jpg

051515%20Spin%20and%20Marty%20Comics_zpsmg5h1tlo.jpg

We had a reservation at 12:25 for lunch at the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre. Maybe this food will not win any awards, but it’s a good, hearty solid lunch. Besides that, the atmosphere is fun, fun, fun! An extra incentive to book was that we were hoping that clips of Star Wars movies might be showing. Alas, it was not to be – but we still enjoyed the “show” from our convertible.

051515%20Sci%20Fi%20Mike%20Convertible_zpsl0rweikc.jpg

We were very hungry, since we had just nibbled from the concierge lounge for breakfast, so we even had room to split an appetizer: Spinach and Artichoke Dip served with tortilla chips.

051515%20Sci%20Fi%20Spinach%20Artichoke_zpsw2ttltfk.jpg

051515%20Sci%20Fi%20Spinach%20Artichoke%20Dip%202_zpsksdzymwd.jpg

It was yummy, though nothing special other than the novelty of eating lunch in a classic convertible – standard fare that reminded me of what we would get at an Applebee’s, for instance. The tortilla chips tasted fresh, not stale, so it was enjoyable. The men got milkshakes, and we all picked our favorite types of burgers. No other photos, sorry to say. It’s really dark in there, and my phone camera is dim-lighting challenged. The previous three photos were lightened to the max.

After lunch, we headed to the other end of the park and ran into Luke Skywalker out of the blue.

051515%20Luke%20Skywalker_zpsdcceauf7.jpg

Chewie was in Endor by the Star Tours ride with an Ewok friend, but the line was too long, and it was too hot to contemplate waiting, anyway.

051515%20Chewie%20and%20Ewok_zpskfg7knvs.jpg

We were headed to our Fast Pass for Stars of the Saga at 2:50 at the Theatre of the Stars. The show began at 3:15 with the Storm Trooper pre-show. Who knew that Stormtroopers were so darned funny??!! This group was kind of like the three stooges:

051515%20Legends%20Stormtrooper%20Trio_zpsg50ikpoh.jpg

Their boss, Mr. Vader, was NOT amused with their antics:

051515%20Legends%20Vader_zpsmj9sxr9i.jpg

And uh, oh….. one of them was frozen in carbonite. ‘Twas a pity, but likely deserved.

051515%20Legends%20Storm%20Trooper%20Carbonite_zps91b1jwxx.jpg

James Arnold Taylor took the stage at 3:30, and hosted a Q and A session with Amy Allen and Ian McDiarmid. It was interesting, but I probably wouldn’t feel the need to see it again. Amy Allen was probably more engaging with the audience than Ian McDiarmid. Sometimes I got the feeling that there was someplace else he’d rather be, but it may have just been his dry sense of humor.

051515%20Legends%20J%20A%20Taylor_zpsjvl2medv.jpg

051515%20Legends%20Talk%20Show_zpstseduzst.jpg

051515%20Legends%20Talk%20Show%202_zps2n4xm57w.jpg

It was so hot, even in the open air theatre, that there was someplace else I would have rather been as well – and it was nearly time to be there…. the Rebel Hangar Lounge!

Oh boy, you had me at "dining mostly" report!! :woohoo:So far that herb crusted lamb your husband had is the winner for me! Can't wait to see more!:flower:

Oh boy, you had me at "dining mostly" report!! :woohoo:So far that herb crusted lamb your husband had is the winner for me! Can't wait to see more!:flower:

There is lots more to come! Le Cellier and Victoria and Albert's Chef's Table - so much great food on this trip - we really pulled out all the stops. Thanks for reading along, DVCDiana!

The Rebel Hangar: A Star Wars Lounge Experience - Friday, May 15

Our rebel hangar reservations were for 4:00 PM, and we actually ducked out of Stars of the Saga about five minutes early, as it was getting close to reservation time. We were ready for something cold to drink at this point anyway. It was really HOT, and we had already been through several bottles of water at this point, so it was time for a snack and some drinks. We were still satisfied from our lunch, so didn’t need a full-blown meal. The Rebel Hangar Lounge was a brand new experience for Star Wars Weekends, and we were the first seating of the first weekend, so it was especially exciting and very unknown! We had seen the menu previews online, so had a good idea of what the choices would be. We had only a very short wait to be seated, and the Rebel Hangar Lounge was located in a section of the Backlot Express that had been segregated from the rest of the restaurant. Here is a photo of the entrance, courtesy of the Disney Food Blog:

051515%20Dis%20Food%20BlogRebel-Hangar-Entrance_zps4acsd5db.jpg

The cast member seated us, and we noticed that every table had a nifty toy attached as the centerpiece. These appeared to be toddler toy replicas, as they were pliable plastic with soft edges. They made for interesting centerpieces, and it was very cool that each table had a different one. I can’t tell you what ours was – my husband is the expert on all things Star Wars, not me. It reminds me of a modified X-Wing Fighter, but don’t quote me on that.

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Centerpiece_zpsruhwiwli.jpg

And lo and behold, here is the actual table we sat at against the wall (the one with the red chair). Thanks again to the Disney Food Blog for the pic!

051515%20Dis%20Food%20Blog%20Table%20Rebel%20Hanger_zpsz5ff8ego.jpg

Disney had some photographers who were snapping photos of the event and the restaurant, so they asked us to sign a photo release form so they could use our image for promotional reasons. We happily did so, and received a nice pin for our trouble. I have not seen any photos floating around, but it was pretty cool to know we were some of the first guests to enjoy the new experience.

We placed our drink orders. I got the Tatooine Sunset, which was vanilla vodka, coconut rum, pineapple juice, and grenadine, with a garnish of blueberries. It was delicious!

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Tatooine%20Sunset%20Drink_zpsasmiai0h.jpg

DH ordered the Rebel Red, which was Grey Goose Vodka, Chambord, Sweet and Sour, and Grenadine. Another winner!

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Rebel%20Red%20Drink_zpsqrwrxnqj.jpg

DS had the Blue Milk, and would order it again if he came across it. I’m not sure what it tasted like, since I was enjoying my Tatooine Sunset so much, but he finished it up, so it must have been pretty good. I think it was blueberry or raspberry flavored.

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Blue%20Milk_zpsnqdngtgz.jpg

Each drink was served with a light-up clip on plastic clip-on keepsake. Here are the 3 we received. Like a lot of other Disney light up things, it turned different colors, or you could set it to flash, or stay one particular color. There was a small on button on the bottom of the toy that controlled the lighting.

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Glow%20Clip%20Ons_zpsujbfcvqw.jpg

We ordered our food – we chose the Fruit and Cheese Sabers (fruit, cheese, bread selection), the Thermal Detonators (spicy pork wings), and the Lightsaber Bites (small sausage corn dogs) served with a mustard sauce and home-style potato chips. These were our favorite, but the Fruit and Cheese Sabers were also very good. So refreshing on a hot day!

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Fruit%20Cheese_zpseicyzpef.jpg

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Thermal%20Detonator%20Pork%20Wings_zpsquaueaiz.jpg

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Lightsaber%20Bites_zps9q4fnvjg.jpg

Then the Cantina Band came out and played a tune, and persuaded DS to get up and dance.

051515%20Rebel%20Hangar%20Cantina%20Musician_zps1u5jbyel.jpg

He was reluctant, but I’m sure he secretly thought it was fun. I videotaped the dancing, so I don’t have a photo to share.

As a final thought – this was SUPER fun, and I’m glad we rearranged our schedule to fit it in. This was something that was announced only about 2 weeks prior to our visit. And for someone who, like me, plans things out practically to the minute, it really threw me for a loop. But… we made it work, and I’m so glad we did it. The food was all delicious, and the entire experience just added to our enjoyment of the entire day. It was so nice to get out of the hot afternoon sun and sit in the cool with some delightful alcoholic drinks and some bar food.

Before we left the park, we noticed that the line was not too long to visit Stormtrooper Donald and Darth Goofy, so we had to stop for a chat and a pose.

051515%20SWW%20Donald%20Goofy%20Family_zpssheus0iv.jpg

Evening at the Polynesian Village, and Trader Sam’s - Friday, May 15

It had been a long, sweltering day – and Disney Hollywood Studios is pretty much concrete jungle unless you are hanging out with Chewbacca over by Star Tours under the trees, so we were more than ready to head back to the air conditioned oasis of the Polynesian. When we got there, we decided to walk through the lobby rather than go directly to our room, and stopped for a photo with the new tiki statue in the newly renovated lobby. I believe people are referring to him as either “Tiki” or “Maui” now. At any rate, he’s super cute! I don’t mind the new lobby at all, although people generally feel that the Disney folks could have done a better job with the fountain. I just remember in the olden days walking through here on the way to the Luau for instance, and thinking I would never stay here because it was so dark, gloomy and dated. However, it is full of light and sunshine now, and it may just be my favorite resort of the moment!

Saying Hello to Maui the Tiki:

051515%20Mike%20Maui%20Tiki%20Polynesian_zpsc9p4i5xg.jpg

We freshened up in room, and then ditched DS for a while (I believe the fee we paid him for us to do this was another Dole Whip). We had decided to go to check out Trader Sam’s, just across the pool area from our longhouse. This was a “definite must-do” on our trip, since we’d heard such wonderful things, and it was brand new. It was especially important since we had such a dismal time during our last Disneyland vacation trying to get into the Trader Sam’s bar for a drink, to no avail.

We went back into the lobby of the Great Ceremonial House and followed the signs down the hallway to Trader Sam’s. We requested a table at the hostess stand and were given a pager, and then went out to the Tiki Terrace, with the patio seating just outside of the bar and had a yummy pineapple drink while we were waiting. There were umbrellas to protect us from the sun, and it was a comfortable wait. We were seated out there for about 20-30 minutes before the pager went off.

051515%20Trader%20Sams%20Tiki%20Terrace%20Pineapple%20Drink_zps1qjq38rb.jpg

But here’s the strange thing – the pager alerted us to check in, but when we walked into Trader Sam’s, there was not a seat to be had. Not even two seats at opposite ends of the room! It was as though they had mis-counted their patrons at some point. So… we stood around for about another 5 minutes, waiting for someone to leave, feeling that the entire thing was a little ridiculous. But just as we were wondering whether we should even stay, a party of four who were seated at a low surfboard-shaped table left. (The table had booth seating on one side and a couple of chairs on the other). So we took the booth seating, and were joined by another couple who came in shortly after us. It was a tad awkward, since we’re naturally a little reserved and shy with strangers, but we made small talk and it was fine. We ordered a couple of the specialty drinks – the Shrunken Zombie Head, the Hippo-pota-Mai-Tai (which we also bought the souvenir glass for – it was that cute!) and the Tropical Dark and Stormy. Although we took a couple of photos, it was so dark in there, and they were incredibly grainy, so I won’t subject you to them. Instead, here are WONDERFUL and clear photos courtesy of DisneyFoodBlog and Easywdw.com. Although you don’t have a photo of our enjoyment of these drinks, trust me…. we had smiles on our drunken faces!

051515%20Trader%20Sams%20Shrunken%20Zombie%20Head_zps6xce3nzj.png

051515%20Trader%20Sams%20HippopotoMaiTai_zpsmwvzmvyr.jpg

051515%20Trader%20Sams%20Dark%20and%20Tropical%20Stormy_zpsotj25eps.jpg

We sat there for probably about an hour. It was fun just to watch the antics of the bar staff and watch the special effects that came with certain drinks. It was amazing.

And that was the end of a very long and full day. We stumbled back to our room and we fell asleep nearly instantly.

I just found your report and am really enjoying it! We are hoping to stay at the Poly next spring by renting DVC points and I can't wait! The last time we stayed there was in 1999 long before the remodel. We did visit during our trip last Sept (had to eat at 'Ohana!) and I LOVED the bright colors and all the lights in the new lobby. Such an improvement!

We are also lovers of food so I'm enjoying all of your dining reports! Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter