The forbidden journey ride - too scary?

hugastar

Earning My Ears
Is this ride scary and can you get sick if yoú have minor problems with motion sickness. ( similar to disney's teacups? ) Thanks.

There are giant spiders at one point, so if you're arachnophobic it can be a problem. (close your eyes after the dragon breathes fire on you, and when you hear them talking about watching out for the whomping willow, open them again...yep I'm totally arachnophobic, which of course meant that I got to have a ride stop with my face right in one's face)

If huge Dementors scare you, that's another spot that's frightful.

A dragon breathes fire on you.

I've ridden it several times now, and about half the time I'm totally fine, and the other half I have to sit down and breathe for awhile while my face loses its green tinge from being ill. I've actually become OK with the tea party, but there are other rides that I can get a little funny-feeling on.

So I think it really varies.

The feeling of FLYING is so awesome, though, I refuse to give up trying it out.

Oh, and keep your head BACK.

I would say it's scary, yes. However, everyone has their own limits so if you can deal with the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom, you can deal with this (however, FJ is a bit more in your face and intense.)

My wife can't deal with motion simulators and had a bit of sickness on FJ. I would say it's very light, but it has a combination of simulator sickness and movie sickness. It's not that bad though.

I had a scopolamine patch on and I still felt a little nauseous. The Simpsons ruined me for the day. I guess it just depends on your tolerance.:sick:

It can be scary .As for the motion..I have bad vertigo and get Motion sick.I took a dramamine a few hrs BEFORE I rode it and was ok.I tried without it and got sick sick sick.But it was our last day and I was determined to ride it one more time

I hate simulators. The Simpsons was horrible! At WDW I can't ride Star Tours.
I rode FJ and had no problems with the ride. I needed a few minutes to get my balance after the ride though.

IMHO, the advantage to FJ over a sim is that the ride vehicle is on a track and you literally move up and down.

After the 12th time riding it in 3 days, it didn't bother me at all. By that time I was anticipating the lifts and turns and loving every minute of it. :cloud9:

I do not like simulators either. I can handle this one, but we did it twice one morning(early hours) and the second time I almost lost it on the ride.

To me it is a little worse than Spiderman, so if you have never done one before, you could try spiderman to see if it would be worth your wait.

It really depends on what your fears are. I do not do well with things jumping out at me (I won't ride Dinosaur, or most haunted houses - although I love WDW's Haunted Mansion). I am also afraid of spiders and I think just knowing they were there was too much for me. I don't even like watching the part in the 2nd movie where the spiders are. So, Forbidden Journey did me in - I started bawling in the locker room afterwards. :rotfl: I did not get motion sickness from it like I do on the teacups - it was a different kind of movement.

I will say that noone else in my family was terrified, however. (Even DD who was 7 at the time didn't get upset.) DH and 2 DS's rank it among their top 3 favorite rides in Orlando. :thumbsup2

I take a less-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine the night before and then another one in the morning because simulators make me sick. With these precautions I can handle the ride no problem even several times in a row.

I've never found the ride remotely scary.

I vote for Bonine the night before also. I took some and had no problems and enjoyed the ride. There is a lot of movement and huge screens with things flying by. Without it I would have been sick but I loved it! It is an intense ride but I wouldn't say scary. If you have seen all the movie you should be fine.

I suggest you watch a YouTube video of the ride then you'll know what to expect. Sometimes we are more frightened because it is unexpected rather than the actual event on the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter