• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Food Channel--Good Eats--on the Budget Board???

Muushka

<font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped
Yes! I started this thread because I have learned some great money saving tips on that show (in addition to learning to be a better cook!).

I love the host, Alton Brown. He is a hoot, fun to watch and a great teacher.

2 great tips I have learned are

1. When storing baby spinach, rinse, spin the water out, pat dry on a paper towel and roll it up and store it in Ziplock bag. Use a straw to suck out the air. I buy the huge 1.5 lb bags at Sams, and am the only one who eats it. I find that it stays fresher for a much longer time this way

2. In my laundry room (dark, dry place) I have several Vidalia onions hanging in my panty hose! Yes, put an onion in the hose, tie it off, add another, and so on. Then just hang them up and they will last for a long time. So I can buy them on sale and hose 'em!

Anyone else watch this show? Any good tips?

no-but here's one i use all the time (as can be attested to by the local butcher :teeth: )-compare the ground beef or stew meat price to the prices of roast currently on sale. often times a beautiful chuck or rolled roast is priced at as much as a dollar a pound less (because you're buying a larger cut of meat)-have the butcher grind or chop the meat for you (most place do it free). i've gone so far as to have a london broil cut up fajita style (why pay $4.99 per pound when the london broil was on sale for $1.99 :crazy: ).

Today I noticed that the salad bar at a local supermarket had a spring mix for 3.99/lb and a 7oz bag of the same mix was $3.69!

jenr812 said:
Nothing to add except that I love Alton Brown :)

Finally, someone else who watches this show! I thought I was losing it! :rotfl2:

DH is Alton's #1 fan :yay:
If he walks into the kitchen while I'm cooking and add regular salt to season the meat, he would say, Alton said that you should only use kosher to season your meat.I get this Alton says all they time :rotfl2: I think Alton is the geekiest chef on tv right now. His style is unique and you do learn something useful on every show. I call the show "Good Geeks" :happytv:

cocoswife said:
DH is Alton's #1 fan :yay:
If he walks into the kitchen while I'm cooking and add regular salt to season the meat, he would say, Alton said that you should only use kosher to season your meat.I get this Alton says all they time :rotfl2: I think Alton is the geekiest chef on tv right now. His style is unique and you do learn something useful on every show. I call the show "Good Geeks" :happytv:
Yup he is a geek and he talks about science on his show a lot too,

cocoswife said:
If he walks into the kitchen while I'm cooking and add regular salt to season the meat, he would say, Alton said that you should only use kosher to season your meat.I get this Alton says all they time
Next time he starts with, "Alton says", tell him Alton says HUSBANDS can cook as well - and hand him whatever utensil you're holding :teeth:

Kinda OT but DH just got me the new GE front loading washer/dryer and when I went on the website to look at the specs and such, I found that there are cool videos with Alton describing these machines. He does it in his special style, of course, so they're fun to watch. DH thought I was loony for watching :)

Muushka said:
Yes! I started this thread because I have learned some great money saving tips on that show (in addition to learning to be a better cook!).

1. When storing baby spinich, rinse, spin the water out, pat dry on a paper towel and roll it up and store it in Ziplock bag. Use a straw to suck out the air. I buy the huge 1.5 lb bags at Sams, and am the only one who eats it. I find that it stays fresher for a much longer time this way

Anyone else watch this show? Any good tips?

I enjoy AB too! BTW - I do the same thing to store fresh herbs, works great!

DH and I love Alton!!!
...now that's good eats!

DW and I love the show, too. She loves when the yeast guys are on.

I haven't tried the spinach thing yet. Have to do that next time we buy a fresh bag.

jenr812 said:
Kinda OT but DH just got me the new GE front loading washer/dryer and when I went on the website to look at the specs and such, I found that there are cool videos with Alton describing these machines. He does it in his special style, of course, so they're fun to watch. DH thought I was loony for watching :)
Sure you had to mention that and now I am on the GE site watching Alton!

tinkamom said:
Today I noticed that the salad bar at a local supermarket had a spring mix for 3.99/lb and a 7oz bag of the same mix was $3.69!

Ooh good idea. Do you think if I used the tip from the OP it would last longer? A pound of salad is a lot for one person to eat!

My biggest problem is that withing 3-4 days, some of the lelttuce gets really black and smelly! Maybe from the moisture??

Free4Life11 said:
Ooh good idea. Do you think if I used the tip from the OP it would last longer? A pound of salad is a lot for one person to eat!

I don't know about the tip, but all of the grocery store salad bars that I've been to let you get as much or as little as you want - so you wouldn't have to buy a whole pound at once. Of course it might only be at that price all of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter