The Fixer and The Cookmaster:major pixie dust*IT'S FINISHED*EPILOGUE UP!!#389

oh my word. 12 fast passes, meeting beauty and the beast, defeating Lord (Darth)Vadar, touring with your family and friends, how can it get better than this!!!
bravo! more more more!

Kerry /who wishes she still knew a castmember at the world so that she could give her mom and kids the chance of a lifetime/ (shamefully jealous!)

Wow, what a fabulous trip! How wonderful that your families are so close and you were able to do so many magical things together. :)

Part 11, still day 5, Monday March 27

We left the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater with visions of colorful costumes, friendly cast members, and real-life Hades autographs. Oh yeah, we had those 24 FastPasses, too. It was almost enough to skip down the ramp onto Sunset Blvd! The CookMaster—excuse me, The Magician—says she knows someone is having a great time when they cannot resist the urge to skip! Admit it: you’ve skipped at Disney. Maybe not by yourself as an adult, but you’ve done it. It’s too much excitement to contain your stride to a walk. The CookMaster and family plan to come back to MGM the next day (our family’s break-from-the-parks day) to get to work on the FastPasses.

Your comments and envy have given me much to ponder. I keep thinking about The Magician’s friend she worked with---she’ll kill me for this---twenty years ago at Opryland theme park. She remembers him well; they had a good friendship and worked hard together. I just find it wonderful that this friend, now a Disney cast member, was so generous in helping a friend he had not seen in years! Truly, the CookMaster was stunned and humbled by the magic he worked for us. We all were, of course. In watching, though, I realized how much this CM respected and had missed my friend. He wanted to do this for her because she is the kind of person you never forget. She loves and gives freely, so he was excited to do something for her. I’m sure that’s it. We—all eight of us—were the beneficiaries of a friendship that began 20 years ago! He also did it because he is proud of his role as cast member. You could just see his pleasure in arranging meet-and-greets for us. I sensed he loves Disney, too, and knows the magic that permeates every cast member. Over and over when we thanked him he beamed and said, “My pleasure.” And it was.

What do I take from this? Take any chance you get to thank Disney cast members. It’s the people, people, that make us want to vacation in Disney World. The show is fabulous; every cast member has a crucial role. I have read complaints and gripes on these boards but I tell you, I rarely find cast members slacking on the job. One of my smiling moments on this trip happened when we were walking from the Teacups to Pooh in MK. I saw a gentleman brass-polishing a water fountain. Slow and steady, he wanted it to shine for us! In this water bottle-totin’ age, I was glad to see someone preparing a shiny image for me and my family, frequent fountain users.

DSC00404.jpg

It also reminded to just be nice. I can always work on this one. Again, you never know when someone will need and remember your kindness.

On with the show! We had perfect timing to catch the bus home that afternoon. Actually, the buses were another success on the trip. We had courteous drivers and timely bus stops all week. The kids had a chilly swim in the volcano pool while the CookMaster and I sat in the sunshine. Guess what Shrek and Cledus did??? Napped in that Poly factory air, of course. I was just happy he was happy. I needed him to be in a good mood for the evening’s event; its name was spring training baseball!!

**NOTE: this portion of the tr may bore you if you have no interest in baseball. I’ll ** again to alert you when we are back to Disney Proper. Back in December when I was planning this trip (one of the three planning months), it occurred to me we might actually be there during spring training. DS12 is a baseball player and laments never attending a MLB game in his long, miserable 12 years. Poor baby! I know spring training is not the same as regular season, but we all love the game so I knew this would be fun. Now, you must know that I spent many years as a long-suffering Braves fan. DH and I both grew up close enough to Atlanta to hear old-timers talk about the big move from Milwaukee. I remember watching (on TV) Hank Aaron hit #714 over the fence. I had a huge crush on Dale Murphy in the 80’s and spent manymanymany college nights and weekends in the stands at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. For me, the Braves taught me to love baseball and are the reason I am so glad my son enjoys the game. DH and I have spread this love to our boys, who have become (no flaming or cringing please) lukewarm Yankees fans. Our next door neighbors are Yankees fanatics. Our boys spend a good deal of time with that fine family, so they’ve learned to respect the pinstripes.

So you can imagine I was giddy when I showed DH the spring schedule. Look! The Braves play the Yankees while we are there! It’s a great night to go! What do you think? He replied: sure, honey. Let’s do it.

It’s not as easy as I thought it would be. While not quite as difficult as securing Cinderella’s Royal Table for breakfast, these seats do go fast. I started calling Ticketmaster the morning the tix went on sale (a Saturday in January) while DH…slept. I was successful—of course—they don’t call me The Fixer for nothing—but we kept it a surprise from the boys. DS6, we knew, would spill the beans to his friend next door and we would never want to foster jealousy. He did go crazy with excitement when we told him the news. It was just the four of us as the Gatelatches couldn’t even get seats by the time they decided to Dis!

We took a taxi to WWoS. That place is ginormous! I can see why droves of cheerleaders/soccer players/basketball/lacrosse/football/baseball/swim/cattle-roping/track/etc, etc., teams flock there to play their game. Has Disney ever tried to host the Olympics? Cause I’m tellin’ ya, I’ve seen smaller Olympics venues. Well, we Tennessee folks strolled in without or Braves/Yankees hats (I confess I left them at home!!! I actually forgot something! Shoot me now…). We loaded up on non-DDP stadium junk and settled in to watch the game. It was freezing, OK, cold, that night. I decided I would be miserable without a sweatshirt, so I bought one. All they had left was a men’s large so it floats on me, but it kept me from hiding in the restroom and missing the game. It was tough for me to spend that particular $42, but now I’m glad I did. Heck, I think the food cost more than that!

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

The gentleman who took the seat next to me was a lifelong Yankees fan! I thoroughly enjoyed his stories of games and players. For a minute it felt like we were in Yankee Stadium. The family in front of us, we discovered, lives 15 minutes from us here! What a small world. **The Braves came back to win the game after—I confess—we left early due to freezing children. Our cozy beds at the Poly and Bailey’s-and-coffee in the concierge lounge kept calling our names during the 6th inning. Once again, we were able to enjoy Wishes and the EWP from our room. I fell asleep with TGM, my booklight, and anticipatory sadness about our last full day with the Gatelatch family.

Day 5 Totals—
Meltdowns: four
Fights: three, including one each (again!) in the Gatelatch and Fixer marriages. See why our families are such compatible travelers?
Sin and hate: one spell, from me. I found myself drawn to the Villains shop more than once. Kindred spirits, you know…

Coming up on Day 6: fishing, concierge lounge observations, and Motel 6?

We’re halfway through!

I am enjoying your report, and yes, I have skipped in Disney!!! I skipped right through Fantasyland I was so excited it was empty and that I was there. Your trip sounds so magical. I can't wait for more. To answer your question from the Malestrom board, I don't mind long reports at all, short ones are fine too, I am not picky.

Jamal, Snuck in to read your latest installment while DH loads his ton of junk.

Another great installment. I have a pic of my DH, 2 sons, and DH's dad holding hands and SKIPPING in 1990. That pic is so funny and I have it framed and hanging in my familyroom. Friends are going to be with us for Dec trip. DH's friend is just going to humor us, but his wife can't wait. His wife says that by the time we leave, she will have a pic of DH & friend, holding hands and skipping through the Magic Kingdom. I so hope she is right. :thumbsup2

Really gotta go know.

Jamal -
anther fabo installment - I don't care how long (or short) the installments are, just keep 'em coming! :sunny:

Another great story Jamal!

I agree, the magic is because of the people. I will try hard to remember that at WDW and everywhere in the world!

You are right, not a lot of Easter egg hunts here. We had a great time and made our little kiddos happy with something that felt so normal! Little things bring great joy!

Looking forward to the next half!
Katy :sunny:

AWESOME report! I've really enjoyed your report so far. It seems that you had a truly magical vacation and made memories to last a life time.

I can't wait to read the rest. :Pinkbounc
Mike

Oh, only one more day with the Gatelatches means that there is only one more installment of my fav. post. Keep up the good work, but don't make it end too soon. :0) Yes, I have skipped (it's easier than running to the next ride), and I also have to agree with Katy. The reason we all return is because of the people. They make the trip so magical. :0)

Jamal,

I loved the part about the brass-polishing gentleman at MK..isn't it the little things that make it soooo special. The attention to detail, that you don't really see anywhere else.

I was a big baseball fan as a young girl.. but with kids and life and all that hecticness that comes along with that.. well, I just stopped watching. Thanks, for sharing that part. I really enjoyed it.

Did the Gatelatch family go home in the middle your vacation? Will that be the end of those magical meet 'n greets?

Thanks for doing an installment today, I really needed to hear something Disney today :sunny:

Continuing to enjoy your TR. Can we really be 1/2 way already? :confused3 Couldnt you go back to add more????

Thanks for the comments.
Oh, only one more day with the Gatelatches means that there is only one more installment of my fav. post. Keep up the good work, but don't make it end too soon. :0) Yes, I have skipped (it's easier than running to the next ride), and I also have to agree with Katy. The reason we all return is because of the people. They make the trip so magical.
:) Beana9802

Yes, sadly, we will have to say goodbye to the Gatelatches in a few more installments but I am working on Day 6 (Tuesday) and we didn't leave until Saturday. This may never end.

pooksma--I will tell Shrek you want us to go back. He will be on the next plane if you pay for it :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Wouldn't we all...

paslea_pooh--
I was a big baseball fan as a young girl.. but with kids and life and all that hecticness that comes along with that.. well, I just stopped watching. Thanks, for sharing that part. I really enjoyed it.

I know! I remember watching some games while feeding babies but forget a three hour TV session when kids are around. That's OK:)

I loved the part about the brass-polishing gentleman at MK..isn't it the little things that make it soooo special. The attention to detail, that you don't really see anywhere else.

DH almost checked my temp when I took the picture but agreed it was a neat sighting. I wish I had thanked him.

Grammy--
Snuck in to read your latest installment while DH loads his ton of junk.
You are my idol. No one makes me laugh like you do!

Your comments are fueling me as I type part 12! I lovelovelove your skipping stories; The CookMaster will :cheer2: when she sees them!!!

Jamal -

Quote: It’s the people, people, that make us want to vacation in Disney World.

And it's people like you with such great TR's that make us want to go there too!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

excellent!!!
GREAT TR!!!

POLY CONCIERGE EH????

:worship:

You are the queen....I am a mere peasant in the garden view rooms....

wow!!!

Loving your TR so much. I have become a trip report junkie since I have so long before I go back. 5 1/2 months...keep em comin' .
By the way I always skip when I'm extremely happy. :Pinkbounc

Enjoying your great report. WOW!!! The meet and greets are amazing!

Find a reason to skip today! The CookMaster fairly skips across the street to take DS9 to school. Yes, she lives just across the street which makes her the charter, overworked, sole member of the school's Beck-and-Call committee. But she loves it!

More coming later today, I hope. Thanks for reading.

SO glad I found this TR. I'm all up to date on LaLa's, horsegirl's and meanestmomintheworld and it looks like I now have 4 reasons to check this board hourly.

I laughed at the part where you said you fell asleep with TGM. I fell asleep with him on much more than one occasion- DH started to get jealous of the other man in my life.

You may have had the most magical vacation ever. And although you did get a lot of pixie dust from the Cookmaster's friend I'm also a firm believer that people make their own magic. You and the Cookmaster seem like people who make magic wherever you are and whatever you're doing. You would be great people to vacation with.

I can't wait for the next installment- this is truly entertaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter