• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The "Fever & Cough" virus....how long does it last??????

Pembo

OH-IO
Anyone else have this virus in their house? DS, age 5, has had a fever on and off for a full week today. I thought it was gone on Tuesday, came back Wed. night. He did great yesterday but it was 102 last night. Today it's been normal but it's back up to 100 tonight.

He is so WHINY!!! I know he's sick, but :earseek: The drs office said 3-7 days, we're at 7 days. Enough already........

We've had the fever, cough, sore throat virus here. I still have it, but DD is just about over it, after 9 days.

I've been hearing a lot about a 2-wk virus. I'm on about 10 days now. The cough got a little better just today, but I'm still very fatigued and loopy-headed. I've been trying my hardest not to spread it. Get better soon!

DD12 started with a sore throat Thursday morning and had a fever by the time I got home from work at 5:30. She took generic DayQuil and felt better in an hour, but the non-drowsy formula kept her awake (4 hours after she took it) and she didn't sleep well. The fever returned Friday morning and she had it all day and night. She felt better for my family's gathering on Saturday and slept well. Today has been a better day and I expect to send her to school in the morning.

A coworker friend's DD12 has had the same virus for over a week now. She's had her to the Drs. twice (DH didn't tell her it was viral after the first visit, she sent her to school and the nurse suggested she go back to the Dr.). The doctor said it was viral and there wasn't anything (a prescription) to do other than let it runs its course.

What a strange flu/cold season this is turning out to be. My DD7 was fine the morning of 12/6, but then went right downhill. By 12/7 she was running a temp of 102. Got rid of the temp by 12/8 and then the coughing started. On 12/13 she started complaining that her stomach was hurting her and had a few hours of vomitting. That lasted justed the one day and now her cough is pretty much cleared up. All together though, it lasted about 12 days, with many ups and downs. Luckily nothing serious enough to seek medical attention.

Everyone in my house is on vitamins, we've been going to bed early, I spray down all the surfaces at least once a day with Lysol and the hand sanitizer is sitting right out on the kitchen counter. So far, it hasn't hit the other 4 members of our family. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This coughing virus hit my afternoon kindergarten class really hard. Last week over 1/3 of my class was absent. It seems to have lasted about 9 days, with parents reporting a lot of ups and downs. I had one student that ended up in ER on an IV.

Thankfully we are now on vacation and maybe the cycle will break. It was interesting how my morning class was totally healthy!

I have been fighting something, but have been taking a supplement that my chiro recommeded to boost my immune system.

Happy Holidays everyone and I hope everyone recovers to enjoy the break!

pin

We've escaped it in my house (just 1 case of Strep Throat and 1 case of Pnemonia!!), but my daughters friends are taking the better partof 2 weeks to recover from the one you seem to be describing (if it's the same one we have here)

I've never seen so many kids sick at one time!

Sorry, have to go and take my cough medicine ;)

DD11 had the "cough and fever" virus this past week. Started Monday and the fever part was gone by Thurs morning. She still has the cough part though and it sounds HORRIBLE. The doctor says "coughs tend to linger, it doesn't mean she's still sick".

I started coughing last Tuesday. By Wednesday morning, I had the fever. I called off work Weds and Thurs. By Friday AM, I though that I was feeling better, although I was still coughing.

Went to work and felt horrible. Called and got a Dr's apt that afternoon. I went in to see him and I was running a 100.4 degree fever (which is high for me as my normal temp is 97.7).

The Dr put me on a prescription strength decongestant and a cough medicine with codeine and lots of bed rest. I spent the weekend in bed.

Today is Monday, almost a week, and I still don't feel 100%. I agree with many others, I have my ups and downs.

This is one heck of a rollercoaster ride virus!

Pembo we are west of you in Toledo area. DS (also 5) got this Monday AM and stayed home from school--I took him to the dr. and she said it was viral, nothing to do but wait, could be up to a week.
His fever came and went but disappeared Tues night so I sent him to school Wednesday--mistake--he slept after school from 4-6:30 that evening. Next day at my mom's in the AM he fell asleep at her house at 11AM and stayed asleep until 4, except to wake up and blow his constantly running (clear) nose. So he missed Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Friday he was OK so off he went--no fever. He has felt warm a couple of times this weekend.
Here is the kicker--our ped. said just because it was viral didn't mean it couldn't develop into anything else--and since yesterday AM his snot (sorry folks) is green--meaning infection--we leave Friday for NC/WDW so I got him into the dr. AGAIN today at 4:30.
So far DD#1 has a weak voice and a cough but no fever--I think I have a sinus infection and am trying to get my dr. to call in a prescription--DH and DD#2 are fine, knock wood.
Robin M.

My DS (2 1/2) had the fever/cough for 5 1/2 days. He was so whiney and cry-y (is that a word?) I felt so bad for him. He just wanted to sit and cuddle, which I like, but he just wasn't himself. He'd cry over even wanting his juice. Just unreal. Then he woke up from his nap yesterday and was his old self. He still has a very runny nose and very chapped lips/upper lip, but I can handel that!

Everyone... "get well"!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Today he is still whiny but no fever thus far. His little nose is raw underneath as well. He keeps using toilet paper to wipe his nose!

Just a note Pembo--we are back from the DR. and DS's fever/cough virus they couldn't treat a week ago because it was viral went into an ear infection that we now have antibiotics for. So stay on top of it. They do get whiny don't they , the little dears?:p
The nurse also immediately gave me some ointment for the area under his nose.
Robin M.

I'm on day 6, but it seem to be a little better this evening. My problem is that I am supposed to sing for our Church's Christmas Eve service, and this thing wiped out my singing voice. I am hoping to have enough of a voice in 2 days to sing, but it doesn't look good.

Originally posted by Rock'n Robin
Just a note Pembo--we are back from the DR. and DS's fever/cough virus they couldn't treat a week ago because it was viral went into an ear infection that we now have antibiotics for. So stay on top of it.
Robin M.

Thats excatly what my daughter has, its viral but she has an ear infection along with it so she is on antibiotics too...

You guys are all describing what DS had and was diagnosed-
positive flu test-Influenza A. Fever, dry cough, achy, runny nose,
lethargy. It lasts at least a week. If you can-get to a doctor for
a flu test the first day and get the anti-viral meds. They(both the
test and the meds) are getting hard to find. Go to bed, drink heavily (he he-water!), take advil or tylenol and cold med with
cough suppressant OR whatever homeopathic remedy u prefer.
Elevate your/their heads so the fluid doesn't drain into the ears
and throat. Don't go to parties, school, work....stop the spread of
this stupid virus. Aunt Jane will get over your NOT showing up for Christmas dinner. Take vitamins! Good luck. Wash your hands over and over.

Sounds like what my dd, 10, got when we were in WDW a week ago!! Fine on Friday, on Sat. at MGM, she looked awful. Fever, achy, stomach ache, extreme fatigue, stuffy head and runny nose. After 3 days, the fever was gone, stomach ache gone but fatigue is still with us. And the coughing!! I feel so badly for the people around us on the flight back on Wednesday. Nothing could stop the cough. At least we were in a front row so she wasn't coughing right on someone's head!!

Yup! Was out Fri w/ Brittany (4.5).

She came down with it Thur night & was fine Sat afternoon.

Hope your child feels better soon.

I promise, we washed our hands before we touched the keyboard & the mouse :rotfl:

Seriously though, take the supplements, drink plenty of H2O and wash hands often.

Judy

PS our's lasted about 10 -14 days :(

You guys really relieved me! This sounds exactly like what my DS (5) has had off and on for about 2 weeks. I took him to the doctor and our regular Doc was out that day so we had another one and she was very vague, said he had a slight virus not the flu, give him tylenol and decongestant. He seems to be feeling better now but I can tell he is not himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter