The Fastpass Encyclopedia: Everything you need to know about FPs at DLR

mysteriouspnai

DIS Veteran
Okay, after reading a few threads in regards to FPs, I've been having trouble trying to format this. Thanks to Mary Jo, HydroGuy, ManusDei, DIS and MiceChatters for allowing me to borrow some aspects of your formats as well as your information!

:confused: ~What is Fastpass (FP)?~
Disney's FASTPASS is a FREE service that allows you to make a reservation and enjoy specific Disneyland Resort attractions with little or no wait. Just look for the FASTPASS machines at the attractions listed below and check on the FASTPASS return time. This will be the time you will be able to return and use your FASTPASS. If this time will work for you, insert your park admission ticket (Park Hopper, One-Day Pass or Annual Pass) into the machine and you will receive your FASTPASS ticket with the time for your return. Be sure to keep this ticket, you will need it to enter the FASTPASS line. Now, you are ready to go and enjoy other attractions until your return time.

:hourglass~Which rides offer Fastpass and where are their distribution machines located?~
*height requirement in parentheses

In Disneyland Park (DL):
  • Autopia (32" accompanied by >54", 54" alone) - near Innoventions on path to Tomorrowland Railroad station
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (40") - To the right of entrance to ride
  • Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye (46") - in between entrance of Jungle cruise and IJ
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (none) - to the left of entrance to ride
  • Space Mountain (40") - to the right of entrance to ride
  • Splash Mountain (40") - across from Winnie the Pooh? I don't ride this often enough to know.
  • Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (40") - Former Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters FP location, in front of LGM
  • Haunted Mansion Holiday (seasonal attraction) (none) - to the left of entrance to ride

In Disney California Adventure Park (DCA):
  • California Screamin' (48") - To the left of entrance to ride
  • Goofy's Sky School (42") - To the right of entrance to ride
  • Grizzly River Run (42") - In front of entrance to ride
  • Radiator Springs Racers (40") - In Bugsland near It's Tough to be a Bug
  • Soarin' Over California (40") - to the left of the entrance to ride
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (40") - across the street from the ride
  • World of Color (none) - Grizzly River Run FP machines

:scared1: ~FP Enforcement~
Each FP always gives a 1 hour window for which you should return to experience the attraction. Once that window has passed, the FP would be expired. So for example, if one pulls a FP for Space Mountain with a return time of 10:00am 11:00am, that FP would expire at 11:00am that day and be no longer valid. The exception is if a ride is down during your return window. You would show up during your window and inform the Cast Member (CM) that you have a valid FP, they will tell you that the ride is closed and that you can come back later if/when the ride reopens.

Historically, despite FPs always having a 1 hour return window, Cast Members had been ignoring the expiration time, and they would honor all FPs that were presented at any time after the window started, even several hours afterwards, so long as that FP was valid for that date. For example, one could pull a Space Mountain FP with a return window of 10:00am 11:00am, and it would still be honored at 10:00pm.

This is no longer the case. From February 2013 onward, all FP times will be strictly enforced. This means that if you bring that 10:00am 11:00am SM FP at 11:01am, you will almost always be turned away. The only valid exception is the one noted above, that is, if the ride is closed during your return time you can come back later and it should be honored.

There have also been some reports of people receiving a grace period of 15 minutes or so, but I have yet to personally test this.

:teacher: ~What is "not connected" and how do I use this to my advantage?~
Typically you can only hold one FP for any given attraction at a time. The FP machines are connected to a centralized system that links most FP attractions, and this system is what prevents you from holding more than one FP at a time. However, certain FP attractions are not connected to this system. An attraction that is not connected means that you can get a new FP for that attraction while currently holding another FP for a connected attraction.

For example, you can pull a Space Mountain FP with a return time of 10:00am 11:00am, then walk over to Autopia and immediately pull another FP without having to wait until 10:00am. Below is a list of FP attractions that are currently not connected as of April 17th, 2013.

In Disneyland Park (DL):

• none currently

In Disney California Adventure Park (DCA):
  • California Screamin'
  • Radiator Springs Racers (RSR)
  • World of Color

:surfweb: ~Details, Finer Print, Tips and Tricks~
  • FPs may only be pulled and used during regular park hours, not during Early Entry/Magic Morning. There may be some exceptions for new rides, but as of April 11, 2013, every FP is pulled and used during regular park hours. Typically during special ticketed events (such as Mickey's Halloween Party) FP machines will not be running and you may not be able to use a FP you obtained earlier in the day.
  • You cannot hold two active FPs for the same attraction; you must wait until the window for your first FP set opens before you can get another set for the same attraction
  • The shortest return time will be 40 minutes from the time you pull the FP. The longest can be several hours later, there is no limit.
  • If your return time is over 2 hours later, you may obtain a new FP for a different attraction 2 hours after you pulled the first FP. This time will always be printed at the bottom.
    - The exception is RSR, you do not have to wait, as stated at the bottom of the FP. Also excepted are disconnected attractions, though no attractions are ever officially listed as disconnected. Continue to check back here for updated information regarding which attractions are currently disconnected.​
  • DL and DCA have two separate, unconnected FP systems. This means you can pull a FP for Space Mountain, hop to DCA and immediately pull a FP for Soarin Over California.
    - Due to the strict enforcement, I don't recommend trying to take advantage of this unless your last-pulled FP is for more than 2 hours away. If you pull a FP for Star Tours at 10:00am for a return time of 11:00am-12:00pm, you can walk over to DCA and immediately pull a FP for Soarin Over California at 10:15am for a return time of 11:30am-12:30pm, but you would have to hustle back to DL to use your Star Tours FP, then hustle back to DCA for the Soarin one. Ultimately, crossing back and forth to make these 1-hour slots, its really not worth all the trouble like it used to be, not to mention that by noon youd be drained from all that walking.​
  • All park tickets must have been activated, i.e. used to gain entry to one of the two parks, before they are able to take advantage of the FP system. This means that you cannot give all of your familys tickets to one person to pull FPs for everyone in the morning while everyone else sleeps in at the hotel. All guests must have their ticket scanned at the entry gates (activated) before they can receive FPs.
    - A personal note: during off-season, my DBF has been able to ask a CM at the gate to kindly scan my Annual Pass so he could get me World of Color FPs while I was resting at the hotel since I was sick. Because both his and my ticket were scanned at the gate, he was able to get FPs for me without me having stepped foot in the parks that day. Note that this is probably the exception and not the rule, so dont count on this happening for you, especially if you have park hopper tickets.​
  • Since children 2 and under don't require park tickets, they will not be able to obtain nor use FPs. For example, if one parent comes up to the FP line for Autopia with a 32" tall 2 yr old, the parent only needs to show one FP.
  • Anyone with a park ticket can get a fast pass for a ride/attraction, regardless of whether or not they meet the height requirement. For example, if you have a 3 year old under 40", you can still use their ticket to get a fast pass for RSR for someone else in your party to ride twice. This can also be useful if you have someone in your party, like a grandparent, who does not enjoy rides - you can use their ticket to get a fast pass for someone else or you could use their ticket to get a fast pass for a different ride before your window on your original fast pass opens.
  • You can use Disney mobile apps (such as MouseWait and Disney Mobile Magic) on your smartphone to help plan your day on the fly. These can tell you current wait times, FP return times, showtimes, and other useful information. For example, if you're going to have lunch at Cafe Orleans at 12 noon and youre in Tomorrowland, you can check MouseWait and see that Indiana Jones currently has a FP return time of 11:00am-12:00pm. Then you could send a FP runner to get Indiana Jones FPs which would allow you to get your ride in before you go to lunch. If you dont have a smartphone, you can also call Otto, the voice-recognition Disneyland automated call system, at (714) 520-7090, and it will give you the same information.

That encompasses everything I know right now. If any of this information is incorrect, outdated, or otherwise, or if theres any tips or additional info you have to add, post it below. I'll do my best to keep this thread as continuously up to date as possible. :goodvibes

Have a magical Disneyland vacation, everyone! pixiedust:

Children two and under that do not have park tickets do not need a fastpass. Cast members will notice the youing age and disregard the extra ticket.

Children two and under that do not have park tickets do not need a fastpass. Cast members will notice the youing age and disregard the extra ticket.

Are there even any FP rides that children 2 and under can ride? Oh, I guess besides World of Color :upsidedow. Other than WoC, you would do rider swap at that point, wouldn't you?

Are there even any FP rides that children 2 and under can ride? Oh, I guess besides World of Color :upsidedow. Other than WoC, you would do rider swap at that point, wouldn't you?

Autopia and haunted mansion holiday (get them on it before they realize it might be scary!). Maybe more depending on the child's size.

2yos can ride Autopia, Roger Rabbit, and Haunted Mansion Holiday

Thanks for the update, guys, I'll promptly add age info on the first post!

Keep the feedback coming, thanks!

EDIT: Working on finding a way to incorporate heights :)

Anyone with a park ticket can get a fast pass for a ride/attraction, regardless of whether or not they meet the height requirement. For example, if you have a 3 year old under 40", you can still use their ticket to get a fast pass for RSR for someone else in your party to ride twice. This can also be useful if you have someone in your party, like a grandparent, who does not enjoy rides - you can use their ticket to get a fast pass for someone else or you could use their ticket to get a fast pass for a different ride before your window on your original fast pass opens.

I just want to thank you Mysterious for stepping up to write this updated user guide for FP. We are all busy people, and it's thoughtful of you to take the time to provide this consolidated information for Disboarders. It will help many visitors enjoy a better day in the parks. You've racked up some extra good karma for the afterlife :)

Forgive me if you wrote this somewhere and I missed it but you may want to add that you can only get fast passes during regular park hours and not during any EE times. Of course, you may want to add that there are some exceptions when it comes to new rides with outrageous fastpass lines.

Thanks so much! I was wondering if the enforcement kicked in. Haven't been around for a while. These "everything you need to know" stickies are THE BEST!!:worship:

Also < 3yos can't ride Goofy's Sky School if they're under 42"---which is a higher height requirement than some of the other major attractions.

Anyone with a park ticket can get a fast pass for a ride/attraction, regardless of whether or not they meet the height requirement. For example, if you have a 3 year old under 40", you can still use their ticket to get a fast pass for RSR for someone else in your party to ride twice. This can also be useful if you have someone in your party, like a grandparent, who does not enjoy rides - you can use their ticket to get a fast pass for someone else or you could use their ticket to get a fast pass for a different ride before your window on your original fast pass opens.
This was so well said that I had to straight lift it. Please let me know if you want me to cite you (in the form of quotation marks and your name at the end of the phrase:p), and thanks!
I just want to thank you Mysterious for stepping up to write this updated user guide for FP. We are all busy people, and it's thoughtful of you to take the time to provide this consolidated information for Disboarders. It will help many visitors enjoy a better day in the parks. You've racked up some extra good karma for the afterlife :)
It took a bit of time, but as long as it helps one person have a better day at DL I'm happy. :goodvibes
Forgive me if you wrote this somewhere and I missed it but you may want to add that you can only get fast passes during regular park hours and not during any EE times. Of course, you may want to add that there are some exceptions when it comes to new rides with outrageous fastpass lines.
Nope, you're right, I didn't write it anywhere, but it's updated now! I guess I haven't been going to Disney long enough because I've never experienced a new ride having FPs available before regular park opening. Do you know of any in particular? My poor brain is only thinking of RSR, but I'm pretty sure FP distribution only started at park opening.
Thanks so much! I was wondering if the enforcement kicked in. Haven't been around for a while. These "everything you need to know" stickies are THE BEST!!:worship:
Glad to know that it helped you! Hope you have a wonderful next trip!
Also < 3yos can't ride Goofy's Sky School if they're under 42"---which is a higher height requirement than some of the other major attractions.
Thanks! I was going off of Disney's website and there's no mention of Goofy's Sky School on the Height Requirements page. Since there's no indication about kids being too young to ride as long as they meet the height requirement, I'll promptly remove the extraneous 2 year old information. I'm working on adding height requirements right now :)

Nope, you're right, I didn't write it anywhere, but it's updated now! I guess I haven't been going to Disney long enough because I've never experienced a new ride having FPs available before regular park opening. Do you know of any in particular? My poor brain is only thinking of RSR, but I'm pretty sure FP distribution only started at park opening.

RSR was the ride I was referring to but I figured it may be good to have a general statement. Also, I have heard of people being allowed to get FPs a half our early for RSR but have not experienced this myself.

RSR was the ride I was referring to but I figured it may be good to have a general statement. Also, I have heard of people being allowed to get FPs a half our early for RSR but have not experienced this myself.

Thanks! Wonder who these special people are that allowed to get FPs early? I've never experienced this either, but maybe there are some seriously lucky folks out on the DIS who have.

Thanks! Wonder who these special people are that allowed to get FPs early? I've never experienced this either, but maybe there are some seriously lucky folks out on the DIS who have.

Well I believe it was only because the rope drop was early as well.

Micechat is now listing both Autopia and Roger Rabbit as being networked again, as of April 2013. Has anybody tried their Fastpasses lately?

Haven't tried Autopia but Roger Rabbit is reconnected - just tried to get a Splash FP after RR and we were denied

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter