The Everything Pooh Sized Thread

What is EBCI??? I can't help you with SWA, I have refused to fly on them due to their Pooh policy. It should be my business if I want to overflow into my husbands seat, but I would never fly by myself and overflow into someone else's seat!! I would be embarrassed, UGH. Lately, we have started purchasing a third seat for the comfort of ourselves. My husband is tall and I am a tall Pooh, so with a seat between us we can sit sideways or stretch out into the floor space. I usually sit sideways and put my achy knee up on the seat, and hope the person in front of me doesn't put their seat back. We will be flying JetBlue from CA to Boston in the fall for the first time, I am excited about the more leg room that they advertise.

My wife and I are both Pooh-sized and LOVE using JetBlue's "Even More Space" seats. We book our seats early to get the lowest possible price, so the extra charge for EMS isn't such a big hit. Also, we try to book seats across the aisle from each other ("C" and "D"). Definitely worth it for us, as neither of us spread "side to side" (armrests come down easily) as much as need extra space "front to back" -- and getting to board early and actually use the bins over our seats is a lovely bonus as well.

Hope you have a great time here in Boston!

What is EBCI??? I can't help you with SWA, I have refused to fly on them due to their Pooh policy. It should be my business if I want to overflow into my husbands seat, but I would never fly by myself and overflow into someone else's seat!! I would be embarrassed, UGH. Lately, we have started purchasing a third seat for the comfort of ourselves. My husband is tall and I am a tall Pooh, so with a seat between us we can sit sideways or stretch out into the floor space. I usually sit sideways and put my achy knee up on the seat, and hope the person in front of me doesn't put their seat back. We will be flying JetBlue from CA to Boston in the fall for the first time, I am excited about the more leg room that they advertise.

Early Bird Check In. We haven't flown on SWA since they implemented their "Pooh Policy" but if they are truly refunding the extra seat, even I the case of an oversold plane, I will be reconsidering. No other airline flies nonstop from STL to MCO. We sadly don't have JetBlue. For awhile we flew on American and most recently AirTran but Southwest now owns them.

My husband and I are Pooh sized and are going back to WDW in May. We will be flying with our 10 year old daughter. We have avoided Southwest Airlines for years but I just re-read their passenger of size policy today. Am I reading it correctly, SWA will now refund the passenger of size for a second seat purchased even if the flight is oversold? In our case we would purchase two extra seats. I don't want to ask this on the transportation board. Has anyone successfully gotten their seats refunded after the trip? Thank you!

I don't see why you would even need to buy the extra seat if you're 3 flying- the rows are 3 across on each side, so the only people you would be raising your armrests on would be your own family. Just put your daughter in the middle seat. :)

My wife and I are both Pooh-sized and LOVE using JetBlue's "Even More Space" seats. We book our seats early to get the lowest possible price, so the extra charge for EMS isn't such a big hit. Also, we try to book seats across the aisle from each other ("C" and "D"). Definitely worth it for us, as neither of us spread "side to side" (armrests come down easily) as much as need extra space "front to back" -- and getting to board early and actually use the bins over our seats is a lovely bonus as well.

Hope you have a great time here in Boston!

:cool1: I just bought our tickets today, they finally extended the dates of availability. I got 3 seats to have the extra width and the upgrade for leg room. Sounds like it will be similar to First Class without the price. I have been looking at flights for months and LAX to BOS is about $2500 for First Class. I spent $1500 for 3 seats, a BIG bargain, non stop, YAY. :cheer2: I notice you are from New England, are you familiar with Boston?? If so, what kind of tour would you recommend for Pooh??? We are flying in the day before a 14 day cruise and would like to do a tour the day we return since our flight home doesn't leave until 7pm.
Thank you. :wave2:

:cool1: I just bought our tickets today, they finally extended the dates of availability. I got 3 seats to have the extra width and the upgrade for leg room. Sounds like it will be similar to First Class without the price. I have been looking at flights for months and LAX to BOS is about $2500 for First Class. I spent $1500 for 3 seats, a BIG bargain, non stop, YAY. :cheer2: I notice you are from New England, are you familiar with Boston?? If so, what kind of tour would you recommend for Pooh??? We are flying in the day before a 14 day cruise and would like to do a tour the day we return since our flight home doesn't leave until 7pm.
Thank you. :wave2:

Great prices!!!

We live in Boston, actually. I'd recommend a hop-on, hop-off type of tour that takes you all around the city. You can cover a lot of ground, and can explore some things in more detail if you so desire.

I haven't been to Whittier, but grew up in San Francisco, and always thought of the Mission buildings as "really old" -- it was very different living out here, where "Paul Revere's House" was over a hundred years old BEFORE he lived there! Definitely a different sense of history. (And still so young compared to when I went to Ireland!)

I don't see why you would even need to buy the extra seat if you're 3 flying- the rows are 3 across on each side, so the only people you would be raising your armrests on would be your own family. Just put your daughter in the middle seat. :)

I agree but southwest does not have reserved seating and can not guarantee that we would all three be seated together.

I agree but southwest does not have reserved seating and can not guarantee that we would all three be seated together.

True. Our son is 4 so we do family boarding, but I think if he were older I would just pay for EBCI and avoid the hassle. At the very worst you would be together in the back of the plane and not have to shell out the extra up front and then have to take the risk of explaining that you bought two seats etc etc etc.

We need to raise the armrest to be comfortable on an airplane so according to SWA we do need two seats. On SWA their former policy for passengers of size stated and you were only refunded for the extra seats if the flight wasn't sold out. Their policy now states that they refund you even when the flight is oversold. I want to know if any other passengers of size have been successful in being refunded. I wasn't aware until today that their policy had changed and we have only been flying on airlines with assigned seating so we could sit together and raise the arm rests without question. I thought this was a thread for people Pooh sized so I am equally confused as to why you feel the need to question my motives.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just buy the one seat each get early boarding and have your ten year old sit between the two of you? Leave the arm rest down until you take off and then push them out of the way. Then it wouldn't bother anyone and you wouldn't have to worry about a refund. I do this often.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just buy the one seat each get early boarding and have your ten year old sit between the two of you? Leave the arm rest down until you take off and then push them out of the way. Then it wouldn't bother anyone and you wouldn't have to worry about a refund. I do this often.

But that is part of my question, will Southwest allow this? You have done this on Southwest? 2 years ago I emailed Southwest and presented this same exact situation. At that time their customer of size policy stated that the passenger had to buy an extra seat no matter what, even though our child qualifies for preboarding. The ticket was refunded only if the flight was undersold. After checking the policy yesterday I see that their wording has changed. I first posted here to get info from other Pooh sized passengers. This morning I sent an email to SWA and asked the same questions as two years ago. Since they supposedly refund for the extra seat now in all situation, hopefully they will just let us buy the 3 tickets, preboard and be done with it. I don't want to arrive at the airport to an embarrassing situation and that is why I am seeking the experience of others.

But that is part of my question, will Southwest allow this? You have done this on Southwest? 2 years ago I emailed Southwest and presented this same exact situation. At that time their customer of size policy stated that the passenger had to buy an extra seat no matter what, even though our child qualifies for preboarding. The ticket was refunded only if the flight was undersold. After checking the policy yesterday I see that their wording has changed. I first posted here to get info from other Pooh sized passengers. This morning I sent an email to SWA and asked the same questions as two years ago. Since they supposedly refund for the extra seat now in all situation, hopefully they will just let us buy the 3 tickets, preboard and be done with it. I don't want to arrive at the airport to an embarrassing situation and that is why I am seeking the experience of others.

Yes I did this in October when I went to Disney. As long as the arm rest is down on take off you will be fine, just put it up after take off. If you get preloading you shouldn't have any problem staying together. That's why I fly SW.

I'm pretty darn Pooh sized and I flew SW over Christmas alone with my 4 year old. We did family boarding and I sat on the aisle, he sat in the middle and I could have left the armrest down but I put it up the entire time and no one even batted an eye.

My mother and I flew SW last July. I'm on the pooh size'd end of things, so I bought the extra seat. It came in handy, because if you buy the seat you're eligible to pre-board. Of course, my mother has health conditions which allowed her pre-boarding regardless. Thinking back on it, we would've likely been okay without the extra seat, since it wasn't as cramped as I had anticipated... but it was nice having the pre-boarding option.

I'm flying SW this summer and I'm worried about the seat widths as well. I fit fine into standard seats on JetBlue with seatbelt fastened and armrests down - are they narrower on SW?

Literally the only reason I'm not flying JB this trip is because SW had significantly better flight schedules, but I'm worried about this seat width issue and I can't find much info about comparative airline seat widths on the internet. Maybe I'm searching wrong. :confused3

http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel...-overweight-passengers-traveling-this-summer/

Domestic Airlines (written April 2013)

Southwest Airlines:

Passengers who cannot fit into a seat must purchase an extra seat, either online or over the phone, although they offer cheaper rates over the phone for the extra seat. Southwest also advises that a passenger of size may contact them for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel.

Passengers of size who do not purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, passengers will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s). However, you may be bumped to another flight if no extra seating is available. Southwest Airlines’ width between armrests measures 17 inches.

American Airlines:

American Airlines requires passengers to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

Unable to fit into a single seat in their ticketed cabin and/orUnable to properly buckle their seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender (available upon request from a flight attendant) and/orUnable to lower both armrests without encroaching upon the adjacent seating space or another passenger.

American Airlines notes passengers to address their seating needs at the time of booking the original reservation. If seats are available in your ticketed cabin, you may be accommodated in the same cabin next to an empty seat. The additional seating must be available without downgrading or unseating another passenger. If time allows, and upon payment of the fare difference, you may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space. If additional seating is not available, passengers may purchase a second adjacent seat on a different flight. The fare for the second seat will be the same as the original seat. American Airlines economy seat width ranges from 17 to 18 inches.

United Airlines:

Passengers traveling on United Airlines are required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The passenger must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seat belt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.The passenger must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.The passenger must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space.

United will not board a passenger who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A passenger who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The passenger may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines economy seat width ranges from 17 to 18.3 inches.

Delta Airlines:

Delta does not require passengers who need a seat belt extender or are unable to lower the armrest to purchase additional seats. However, you may be asked to move to another location that provides additional space. In the event of a full flight you will be asked to take a later flight with available seating. To avoid this, Delta Airlines recommends that you purchase an additional seat. Economy seat width is 17.2 inches.

JetBlue Airways:

No clear policy is stated online. When calling Jetblue, they advised to either purchase an additional seat at the current price or opt for a seat belt extender. JetBlue seat belts are 45 inches in length and you can request 25 inch extensions on-board the aircraft. Economy seat width ranges from 17.8 to 18.25 inches. Passenger’s who cannot fit, will have to purchase an extra seat at the current fare offered.

Spirit Air:

No policy is published online. When calling Spirit Airlines, they will advise you to either purchase an additional seat at the same cost of the first seat, or to purchase a Big Front Seat which offers additional seat width. Economy seat width is 17.8 inches. Spirit Airlines offers Big Front Seats which is 18.5 inches wide.

While we wish there was a standard industry wide policy, the reality is that each airline handles overweight travelers differently. International carriers are no exception. For example, in Canada, forcing one passenger to buy two seats is illegal on domestic flights, because Canada’s Supreme Court ruled that charging extra to someone who is “functionally disabled by obesity” is discriminatory.

To book an extra seat for yourself you will need to call and speak with a travel advisor who can assist you since each airline’s policy is different.

I can't find much info about comparative airline seat widths on the internet.

Try Seat Guru - it has seating maps, seat widths, pitch (distance front-to-back), and other info for each airline.

You can enter the airline and flight number (and optionally date), or select the airline and then the type of plane. What's great is they also indicate which seats to avoid and which are the best (and why) on the maps.

Or even easier, they have charts for each airline listing the seat width, pitch, etc. for each of their planes:
JetBlue chart
Southwest chart

In looking at the SW chart, it looks like the seats are all the same width - 17 inches. JB widths vary from 17.8 to 18.25 for coach. So SW will definitely be narrower, but we're talking a difference of between 0.8 inch and 1.25 inches.

If you have no trouble with JB now, you will probably be fine with SW, although it will be a little bit more cramped.

Any info on how many of those evil, gut crushing turnstiles remain? I remember having particular trouble with the one on the railroad. I often just go through the wheelchair entrance to avoid any possible issues. : )

The people movers still has one, but I think theres a HC access right next to it, with a removable chain. I'd ask the CM to let me in that. :)

I could not go through the turnstile at carousel of progress on my last trip. :(

They let me in without me going through that way.

Hi there! This will be my 4th time to Disney and Universal, and there are a few rides that I have never tried, but want to go on this time, as my 11 year old cousin is coming.
I don't want her or me to be embarrassed if I get through all the queue then find I can't ride. I am a UK size 22/24, so US size 20/22? I carry all my weight round my waist, and on my thighs.
Can anyone tell me their experiences, or what the seats are like? I did go on the Disney at large site but I did find it outdated.
The rides I have never ridden are Buzz Lightyear, Splash mountain (since they changed the seats), Journey of the little mermaid, Gran fiesta tour in Mexico, Kali River Rapids, Malestrom, Star Tours.
Overall, I feel fairly confident in Disney, now it's Universal and Islands of adventure that fills me with fear.
I have never ridden Despicable Me, E.T, Kang & Kodos, and Transformers, The amazing adventures of Spiderman, Jurassic Park river adventure, Popeye and bluto.

I always pretend that I don't want to get wet, or that I don't fancy those particular rides. I am in the process of loosing weight, but it's not happening very quickly.

I'd be really appreciative of any advice any of you have.

Thank You.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter