The DVC board official Animal Kingdom Villas discussion thread

Tigger ,I stayed at AKL 5th floor. It had a great view of the savanah. The other floors seemed to have a nice view as well. There aren't many obstacles in the way (ie trees , brush etc.) I just loved it there. The whole feel of the resort grows on you, the colors, the music, the lighting, the smells...Ahhh :cloud9:

There was some information on the boards several weeks ago about the SSR theatre being converted to model rooms. I believe this had been confirmed by someone in DVC.......not sure though. We're heading to SSR on Saturday and I just placed a call to our guide, Karen Guyder, to let her know I'll be stopping by for further info on AKV. Hopefully, we'll be able to take a peek at the models while we're there!!!

chris1gill said:
Maybe they will put a fold out chair in the living room similar to what they have put in the All Star Suites?

Or a daybed somewhere....

Oh, the fold out chair is a good guess too. :thumbsup2

DVCGammy, it is fun isn't it. :cool1:

I wonder if DVC is going to offer preferred view rooms and standard view rooms like they have at BW? That resort would seem to lend itself to that sort of split.

Tigger031266 said:
Help me out fellow DVCers that have stayed at the AKL. IS this any good. Is it fun staying on the 5th floor? Are the lower floors more desireable upper floors or is it opinion?

I am sooooooo excited!!!! I could not be happiers. DVCer's are so lucky.

We loved the 5th floor. Stayed there in a deluxe King bed room, with Arusha Savannah view, out on Zebra Trail back in '01, just after they opened. You are a bit more removed from the animals, but you also have a more expansive view, IMHO. Of course, we had cameras with very good zoom capabilities, so that helped out, too.

And remember, the remodels are only Phase I. You buy early, use those acomodations to your advantage, and then use the new facility once it's built.

:)

DVC Grammy said:
I agree that initially, it'll be easier to book if you have points at AKLV, but at 450+ units, it will be almost as big as SSR and OKW and when complete, there'll be availability at the 7-month mark (more so, off-season).
I think it's great that it'll be large; I've wondered why DVD made the VWL so tiny. :confused3
Does anyone know if the expiration date will be the same as SSR, or maybe even later?
Obviously, TPTB have a lot of faith in the future of DVC! :cheer2:
:woohoo: :jumping2: :jumping2:

really?? almost as big as OKW or SSR?? for some reason I was thinking those had a lot more units...in that case :banana: :dance3: :cheer2: :dance3: :banana: I am even more excited :rotfl2:

I'm with Dina on this one........we're not in a position until about 2008 to add on either (unless we sold our 120 SSR points, which I'm not about to do and we'll never lose our 150 VWL points) so 2009 is good timing for us also....hopefully they won't sell out before construction is complete!!!

I would prefer not to add-on until 2008 also, but I'm afraid to wait with all the excitement. I just HAVE to own some of these points. I can't imagine the 7 month window will work with this one.

DonnaL said:
I'm with Dina on this one........we're not in a position until about 2008 to add on either (unless we sold our 120 SSR points, which I'm not about to do and we'll never lose our 150 VWL points) so 2009 is good timing for us also....hopefully they won't sell out before construction is complete!!!

I am this[ ] close to paying off our contract. I was not planning on buying in anymore, but with this announcement, my brain is screaming!

I think I want to hold out for DCL Villas! :lmao:

I hope this is true. I am doing the :cool1: at my desk....

Wonder what it will cost and how many points I am going to have to sell to do this.. :rotfl2:

We stayed 5th floor back in 2004 and this was our view...so yeah, I'd say the views are good! :goodvibes

Ok, I understand the sizes of BCV and BWV and now 45o in AKV...how big is OKW and SSR? Trying to figure out the whole size thing...

I bet the phones at MS are ringing off the hook!

GiraffesAKL4cropped.jpg

Hopefully the Contemporary rumors still prove true at some point, but I did see this story about the VAKL on the Orlando Sentinel's website so it is definitely true.

Yay for new villas at the AKL! Boo for me not being able to afford any points there!

So I wonder what becomes of the CRV or VCR rumor? I honestly thought that would be the next DVC.

I am so happy that so many people will be enjoying AKLV. I can see staying there for a day or 2, but probably not a week. We stayed there a few years ago (got a great concierge rate) and really enjoyed the resort. And it is beautiful.

Did anyone find the statement
As for the choice of Animal Kingdom, Hewell said, "It's the true retreat," and added, "For those people who want to rest away from the theme park madness, they now have a choice."
strange? Hello, VWL, OKW?? I thought they were also a choice for that!

And as someone else mentioned, this will help take the strain off of some of the really popular resorts. :banana:

MonkeyPants said:
really?? almost as big as OKW or SSR?? for some reason I was thinking those had a lot more units...in that case :banana: :dance3: :cheer2: :dance3: :banana: I am even more excited :rotfl2:

What I meant is that the size of AKV is about 100 rooms bigger than BWV, and about 100 rooms smaller than SSR & OKW. IMO, 458 rooms is big enough so that the 7-month window will be do-able (when it's complete). Certainly BWV is do-able at 7 months. :thumbsup2

Has anyone actually talked to thier guide yet??? When can we sign up?

(And I am a giggling 46 year old!)

Muushka said:
So I wonder what becomes of the CRV or VCR rumor? I honestly thought that would be the next DVC.

I am so happy that so many people will be enjoying AKLV. I can see staying there for a day or 2, but probably not a week. We stayed there a few years ago (got a great concierge rate) and really enjoyed the resort. And it is beautiful.

Did anyone find the statement strange? Hello, VWL, OKW?? I thought they were also a choice for that!

And as someone else mentioned, this will help take the strain off of some of the really popular resorts. :banana:

There are several rumors going around as to why CRV was either back burnered or poo poo'd completely.

1) The cost of the land was just too high for DVD to aquire right now.

2) The cost of construction, and the resulting requirements to build so close to Bay lake, were both expensive and outside the timeline Disney wanted for completion because of the number of remaining SSR points

3) Worry about site lines from MK

4) Worry about the ability of the CR infrastructure to handle the influx of CRV guests using their facilities.

The rumbling seems to be that both sites were actually neck and neck during the consideration process and VAKL got the green light first. That's not to say that they've completely abandoned the idea for CRV, I guess. But if it's true they've now decided to renovate the North Tower rooms, I'd say it becomes less likely that the CRV will ever happen...at least not in the format or on the site we saw design documents on.

However, it may be that all the CRV prep work just showed them that the project needs further time for preparation of both the site and the infrastructure and it could be that CRV will happen sometime in the future. We'll have to wait and see.

CarolA said:
Has anyone actually talked to thier guide yet??? When can we sign up?

(And I am a giggling 46 year old!)

We don't have a guide...yet. But my wife is going to call while the kids are napping today (around 1 PM) to see if we can get on a wait list, at least.

I'll pass along any info I get when I get it.

I'm relieved that they are making it bigger than BCV but I still don't think I'll be able to hold back. I love this resort. I cannot wait for more info!! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter