The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

I should...I'm travelling by myself so my schedule is my own. :) I'm staying in Mt Laurel and could come down your way. I'm flying in Monday afternoon so I have Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday free. I would love to meet up with you guys!

Jill in CO

Cool! I will have to check with the boss to see what our calendar looks like with various kid activities, etc. Maybe we can try and meet halfway or something. We can be in touch either here or on FB.:thumbsup2

Cool! I will have to check with the boss to see what our calendar looks like with various kid activities, etc. Maybe we can try and meet halfway or something. We can be in touch either here or on FB.:thumbsup2

Sounds like a plan!

Jill in CO

12:02 a.m.—Do I even need to say anything at this point?

Oh, but your commentary is so entertaining on this particular topic

4:30 a.m.—After all the driving and sightseeing we’ve done, today is a much needed rest day in Phoenix. Naturally, this means Julie and Sarah are getting up now, at 4:30 a.m.

Y’all were likely to be awaked around then anyway.

I wouldn’t want some poor horse having to carry my fat rear end around in the middle of 110-degree heat with no water in sight.

Well, that probably makes two of you.

The only other worry was that I’d be keeping the baby with me, and would have to feed him a bottle at some point. He’d given some other caregivers trouble with bottles in the past, so Julie and I were both nervous that he would refuse it and then start throwing tantrums due to hunger.

It’s just not the same, ya’ know.

Julie looks out her window, and is somewhat surprised to see Scotty standing there.

“What are you doing out here?” she asks.

“I thought we were leaving,” says Scotty, not entirely awake.

That one may become one of the more infamous “happenings”
The kind’a thing that weaves its way into family folklore and Thanksgiving table reminiscings.

Thank goodness Julie saw him, or he might have been wandering the hotel grounds at 5 a.m. with no room key.

Which might have made for an even better story.

Best that it didn’t go down that way tough.

Let’s try this again. Julie and Sarah drive off for their adventure. Since I’m not with them, I have no idea how they’re doing, but I’ll try and fill in the gaps as best I can.

Or you can just make up stuff as you go along.

P1040681.JPG

So…
Do they offer paintball on horseback?
I can see that being quite the boon for the local Ortho and head trauma doctors.

Ready to ride! I can’t remember the names of their horses, so hopefully Julie will chime in and fill in that critical information.

For the time being, we’ll go with Silver and Scout.
Or maybe one of them was Victor.

Yea, Victor… “Everybody knows that…”

6:29 a.m.— The girls are on the trail. The horses seem skittish. Something is rustling through the brush on either side, indicating possible pack behavior from intelligent creatures, bent on tracking their prey.

COOL! We’ve reached the part where you just make s*** up
popcorn::

6:37 a.m.— The first skirmishes with the wolves have begun. Right now, they’re just probing, looking for a weak spot in the group, but Sarah’s deadeye aim with the rifle is keeping them at bay.

Good thing she had her Red Rider carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle…
with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

Lord knows where they’d have been without Ol’ Blue.

Meanwhile, I see that the Phillies lost again. It wasn’t that long ago that they were actually good. Remember? Anyone?

Bueller?

He's sick…
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend saw Ferris pass out at Flavours last night.
I guess it's pretty serious.

6:46 a.m.— The wolves pounce. One of the horses in the group has been hobbling, falling behind, providing just the sort of temptation for an easy meal the wolves have been looking for. Julie and Sarah ride headlong into the fray, guns blazing, and Julie scoops up the rider of the injured horse with one arm while keeping tight hold of the reins in the other. The poor horse is doomed, his last act a noble sacrifice to allow the rest of the group to make a clean getaway.

Alas poor Victor…
We knew him well.

About the same time, I discover Drew has left me a gift in his diaper. Yay.

Commentary on your story telling abilities, I’m sure.

6:55 a.m.— Ambush! Is it the Cherokee? Comanches? Hard to tell at the moment, but the group leader gives the order to circle the wagons. Things are looking grim, and they’re running out of ammo, but at the last moment, Julie and Sarah lead a desperate counter-charge, foiling the would-be raiding party.

Marion Morrison would have been proud.

They did take a couple of photos. Julie had this view most of the time, which she said reminded her of me for some reason:

P1040670.jpg

rimshot.gif

But now we need to wait for them to shower and change, since horseback riding in the desert makes one…how do I put this delicately?

Fragrant?

A little stinky.

I see that you and I define “delicately” with just a slight variance in intensity.
Most be a geographical manifestation.

9:15 a.m.— It’s pool time!

:woohoo:

None of the rest of us were having any fun, either.

Ain’t buyin' it Paleface

Drew did great in his little innertube, but eventually we had to remove him because he started trying to drink the pool water.

Well someone had to.

I am going to end with a photo of a hot tub. For some reason, nobody was using it at 11:00 in the morning on a 100-degree day. But that’s not why I remember it. I remember it because it was the site of a memorable evening on our honeymoon 16 years ago.

Oh?

Oh, stop. Get your minds out of the gutter.

You’re the one who teed it up and then went and handed us the 3 wood…

Not two minutes, later, we were savagely and repeatedly dive-bombed by a bat, apparently intent on claiming the hot tub as his territory.

See now, since you told the story about the horse ride earlier…
You’ve made it quite impossible not to question this one.

But it’s a great story.

The kids still have no idea that we’re heading to Disneyland tomorrow. Maybe we should tell them.

Hush your mouth!

Plus, our first In-N-Out burger!

So, did you go off the menu and order up one of their secret burgers?

And, due to popular demand, desert golf pictures.

425207.gif

I totally agree. The experiences are what you remember. That being said, we love our Legos, and I have stepped on plenty at 2 a.m.:headache:

Oh, you could do a lot worse. Come hang out on our couch anytime! You know, for all those dream trips to Delaware you've been planning.

Funny, I almost popped off the VERY same Lego crack. And a house can only fit so many. We're at capacity, and I could finance a trip to Florida if I sold them on EBay.

Oh yes, I could, but it'd be a bit of a detour to the Motherland.

I'm pretty darn sad that I can't multi-quote reply like I like to. But school gets in the way right now. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

What an awesome pool area. Really, very cool!! On a hot day, you need that- a cool pool. Stink pinks are awesome, huh?

Bats are loathsome creatures. She was wise to move fast. Necking in a hot tub takes on a whole new meaning...

Julie looks out her window, and is somewhat surprised to see Scotty standing there.

Just thinking about this now makes me break out in cold sweats. The thought that he could have been wandering around, lost at the resort makes me feel sick. So thankful that I glanced over and saw him when I did.

Ready to ride! I can’t remember the names of their horses, so hopefully Julie will chime in and fill in that critical information.

For all those waiting with baited breath.....I was riding on Hobo and Sarah was riding on Charlie.

6:37 a.m.—The first skirmishes with the wolves have begun. Right now, they’re just probing, looking for a weak spot in the group, but Sarah’s deadeye aim with the rifle is keeping them at bay.

6:46 a.m.—The wolves pounce. One of the horses in the group has been hobbling, falling behind, providing just the sort of temptation for an easy meal the wolves have been looking for. Julie and Sarah ride headlong into the fray, guns blazing, and Julie scoops up the rider of the injured horse with one arm while keeping tight hold of the reins in the other. The poor horse is doomed, his last act a noble sacrifice to allow the rest of the group to make a clean getaway.

6:55 a.m.—Ambush! Is it the Cherokee? Comanches? Hard to tell at the moment, but the group leader gives the order to circle the wagons. Things are looking grim, and they’re running out of ammo, but at the last moment, Julie and Sarah lead a desperate counter-charge, foiling the would-be raiding party.

7:15 a.m.—Julie and Sarah are heading back to the ranch. Exhausted, dirty, but also a little wiser, having been refined in the trials of hard country.

OOOORRRRR......something like that.....

Chub!!!!!

P1040693.JPG

:love: :love: :love:

Julie and I had just returned from a late dinner and were enjoying an evening swim. I saw the hot tub lit up for the night and suggested we jump in. It was a beautiful spot, nobody else was around, the skies were clear, and the lighting made everything look very inviting. Romantic, even. So we both climbed into the hot tub, relaxing in each other’s arms.

Not two minutes, later, we were savagely and repeatedly dive-bombed by a bat, apparently intent on claiming the hot tub as his territory. I’ve never seen Julie move so fast, not in the 16 years since. I don’t think we ever got in that hot tub again.

True. Story.

Yay for Drew taking the bottle agreeably and some quality mommy/daughter horseback riding time! :goodvibes That is really scary about Scotty coming out to the car half-asleep, though. :eek: My first thought was, "Well, Scotty happened..." :sad2:

I LOVE this picture:

P1040683.JPG

Way too cute!! :love:

Looks like a fun time swimming. Glad there were no hot tub/bat incidents. :rotfl:

Oh, wow, I didn't realize that DL was a secret from the kids! :hyper: Fun! And, mmmm, In-N-Out Burger...interested to see what Captain Burger thinks of it! :thumbsup2

What fun mother-daughter time! The horse back riding looked like a lot of fun. How great that they planned that.

Glad Drew didn't interrupt you too much from your ESPN time! :rotfl2:

Wow - the grounds and pools of the hotel are just lovely. What fun pool time. I can't imagine what a 110 degree day must feel like right now. Crazy! The kids look like they are having a blast.

Can't wait for DL!!!!!:cool1:

What a great rest day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well except for a couple of crazy girls getting up at 4:30 am (looked to be totally worth it though).

That pool pretty much looks like heaven at the moment.

Dive bombed by a bat?????????????

That would creep me out.

Nah, don't tell them.

I finally had In-N-Out last Oct, I will be curious as to your thoughts.

Very nice update! I totally understand why their ride was so early in the morning! I enjoyed your commentary a la Walter Mitty. Glad Julie could chime in and solve the mystery of the horses names, since we were all glued to our computer screens waiting for that update!

The morning at the pool sounds like a lot fun and a great way to burn off some energy which didn't require, learning or studying, they just got to be kids. I too am curious to hear about your In-And-Out experience. I always worry when folks have it so built up for so long that it just won't measure up.

On another note, and I'm getting way ahead of your TR, but on the news program I watch this morning, they were plugging "burger week" in Pasadena. They had someone from Slater's 50/50 on the show and I realized that Slater's is a chain, and there is one in Huntington Beach! That's only a few freeway exits from my house, so that place is going on the "places to dine" list. I need to try one of these 50/50 burgers!

Great update, and love the story line for the horse back riding.

The pool looks very inviting and those Drew legs are amazing. So cute!

Glad you had fun and towels are overrated.

I would have not liked to get up at such an early hour for a horse ride, but the pictures look lovely, so it must have been worth it! And I would have been with the ladies if the other choice would have been golf... :sad2: Even though I admit that the only time I am ever interested in golf is when you write about your golf adventures... :goodvibes

And the morning at the pool seems like a great break! And probably necessary to get some energy for the exciting days ahead!

Oh, and I am going to write about my first In-N-Out Burger visit in my next update as well! :goodvibes Will be interesting to compare notes!!

No surprise that Sarah and Julie saved the rider from the wolf/coyote/wild dog...whatever it was. ;)

Glad that Drew didn't give you any issue with his bottle.

Pool looks like a lot of fun. I love the photos of it all, but Drew's are especially cute. :)

I would have been running right with Julie. I hate BATS more than I HATE snakes or spiders. I totally skip them at the AK.

Can't wait to find out if you tell the kids about Disneyland ahead of time.

Oh, but your commentary is so entertaining on this particular topic

So is Samuel L. Jackson's. :rolleyes1

Y’all were likely to be awaked around then anyway.

And yet we go to sleep every night hoping we won't see 4:30 a.m. I guess hope springs eternal.

Well, that probably makes two of you.

Yeah, I can't imagine the horse would be very happy about the idea.

It’s just not the same, ya’ know.

I think we can all vouch for that.

That one may become one of the more infamous “happenings”
The kind’a thing that weaves its way into family folklore and Thanksgiving table reminiscings.

Oh, it may be brought up once or twice or 400 times. :rolleyes1

Which might have made for an even better story.

Best that it didn’t go down that way tough.

I'm gonna have to agree with you there. So many ways that might not have ended well.

Or you can just make up stuff as you go along.

As if that's different from any other chapter.

So…
Do they offer paintball on horseback?
I can see that being quite the boon for the local Ortho and head trauma doctors.

Maybe so, but that does sound awesome!

For the time being, we’ll go with Silver and Scout.
Or maybe one of them was Victor.

Yea, Victor… “Everybody knows that…”

Mixing your movie references there. Brilliant! +1:thumbsup2

Oh, nothing. Ralphie got in a fight...

COOL! We’ve reached the part where you just make s*** up

Um...right. Just reached that part. :rolleyes1

Good thing she had her Red Rider carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle…
with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

Lord knows where they’d have been without Ol’ Blue.

And she didn't shoot her eye out. Black Bart knew better than to try anything, I can tell you that.

He's sick…
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend saw Ferris pass out at Flavours last night.
I guess it's pretty serious.

+1:thumbsup2

Alas poor Victor…
We knew him well.

Not really. Does everybody really know who "Victor" is?

Commentary on your story telling abilities, I’m sure.

A big, steaming commentary.

Marion Morrison would have been proud.

High praise! And yes, I had to google that one.

Aw, come on. It was at least a little funny.

Fragrant?

I guess your vocabulary didn't fail you like mine did.

I see that you and I define “delicately” with just a slight variance in intensity.
Most be a geographical manifestation.

No, I'm just cringing in anticipation of the slap.

Ain’t buyin' it Paleface

That face is getting larger and paler every year, especially in the forehead region.

Well someone had to.

Absolutely!

Oh?

You’re the one who teed it up and then went and handed us the 3 wood…

Who, li'l ol' innocent me? :littleangel:

See now, since you told the story about the horse ride earlier…
You’ve made it quite impossible not to question this one.

But it’s a great story.

I wish I was making that one up. It may have been memorable, but it wasn't very enjoyable.

Hush your mouth!

Well, we already did the surprise thing once.

So, did you go off the menu and order up one of their secret burgers?

No, but we made an adjustment on the regular fare.

:sad2: No appreciation for the beautiful things in life.

Funny, I almost popped off the VERY same Lego crack. And a house can only fit so many. We're at capacity, and I could finance a trip to Florida if I sold them on EBay.

Oh yes, I could, but it'd be a bit of a detour to the Motherland.

All you have to do is mention stepping on toys barefoot, and every parent's mind goes straight for the Legos. You never forget that pain.

But...but...it's Delaware! So Close To Where You'd Rather Be!

I'm pretty darn sad that I can't multi-quote reply like I like to. But school gets in the way right now. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Stupid school. Those lousy professors need to get their priorities straight.

What an awesome pool area. Really, very cool!! On a hot day, you need that- a cool pool. Stink pinks are awesome, huh?

Now there's a phrase I've never heard before! But yes, it was a nice place to swim.

Bats are loathsome creatures. She was wise to move fast. Necking in a hot tub takes on a whole new meaning...

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Rats with wings, I tell ya! But they do keep the mosquito population down.

Just thinking about this now makes me break out in cold sweats. The thought that he could have been wandering around, lost at the resort makes me feel sick. So thankful that I glanced over and saw him when I did.

Me too, especially since I was snoozing at the time!

For all those waiting with baited breath.....I was riding on Hobo and Sarah was riding on Charlie.

See? I told you it was critical information.

OOOORRRRR......something like that.....

I was close, wasn't I?

My gut and legs are starting to look just like his, and your reaction is completely different. Such a double standard. :sad2:

True. Story.

It was memorable, though.

Yay for Drew taking the bottle agreeably and some quality mommy/daughter horseback riding time! :goodvibes That is really scary about Scotty coming out to the car half-asleep, though. :eek: My first thought was, "Well, Scotty happened..." :sad2:

It's becoming an epidemic! :rotfl2:

I LOVE this picture:

P1040683.JPG

Way too cute!! :love:

:goodvibes

Looks like a fun time swimming. Glad there were no hot tub/bat incidents. :rotfl:

This time, anyway. We still have scars.

Oh, wow, I didn't realize that DL was a secret from the kids! :hyper: Fun! And, mmmm, In-N-Out Burger...interested to see what Captain Burger thinks of it! :thumbsup2

Coming up soon! If I ever finish replies.

What fun mother-daughter time! The horse back riding looked like a lot of fun. How great that they planned that.

I'm really glad they both had a good time.

Glad Drew didn't interrupt you too much from your ESPN time! :rotfl2:

Hey, we all have priorities.

Wow - the grounds and pools of the hotel are just lovely. What fun pool time. I can't imagine what a 110 degree day must feel like right now. Crazy! The kids look like they are having a blast.

You definitely need pool time in the desert!

Can't wait for DL!!!!!:cool1:

Just a couple more chapters!

I am really late to this party, figured you must have vacationed again after the big HI trip....:rolleyes1
What an awesome vacation, can you adopt me? My only trip to Grand Canyon we stayed two nights at the bright angel. The pictures at the edge of the canyon actually make me nervous, having a fear of heights is not easy. But really, pictures should not have that effect. My husband and I walked down the Bright Angel Trail, I heeded the advice of "twice as long to get back to the top", and turned around at a decent spot. He on the other hand kept going....and going.... and going. Until a ranger asked where he planned on spending the night, he casually said at the top, and she told him he barely had time to make it back, he came up at least 45 minutes after dark. One of those alternately angry/scary moments in our long married life. When we went to dinner, we got to see a young women exhibiting the other picture on the sign. I was ready to call her an ambulance......
I just love the kids response to the views, having been dragged around the West as a kid, I'm sure I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.
Loved Three Pitts, maybe we'll have to head back there in March. Bryce and Zion are on my list in the near future, so many vacations to plan, so little time.....
Looking forward to the DL portion, your kids are adorable!

And yet we go to sleep every night hoping we won't see 4:30 a.m. I guess hope springs eternal.

Do let me know if he breaks my young’es 22 month record.

Actually y’all are just about at the one year mark I do believe.
Congrats on that milestone and make sure you post pics of the event.

Oh, nothing. Ralphie got in a fight...

From then on, things were different between me and my mother.

Not really. Does everybody really know who "Victor" is?

Well, Mrs. Parker does…

High praise! And yes, I had to google that one.

That’s alright…
I had to google “Stink Pink”

Aw, come on. It was at least a little funny.

Oh certainly…
That one kills every night out on the Borscht Belt Circuit.

Who, li'l ol' innocent me? :littleangel:

Innocent?
You’re the one “cringing in anticipation of the slap”.

:sad2: No appreciation for the beautiful things in life.

Just yankin’ your chain.
I know that a well maintained set of “Links” can be quite scenic (my DW works for one remember).
I’m actually quite interested in seeing who hops off the moving golf cart this time around.

Should we start a pool for the number of balls lost or number of bunker bull’s-eyes?

What a great rest day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well except for a couple of crazy girls getting up at 4:30 am (looked to be totally worth it though).

You do what you gotta do, right? Good thing they could goof off at the resort the rest of the day.

That pool pretty much looks like heaven at the moment.

I'm currently looking out my office window at leafless trees, gray skies, and salt remnants on the pavement. Warm weather and a nice pool sounds fantastic right now.

Dive bombed by a bat?????????????

That would creep me out.

As well it should!

Nah, don't tell them.

Well...about that...

I finally had In-N-Out last Oct, I will be curious as to your thoughts.

Should I spoil the next chapter here?

Nah.

Very nice update! I totally understand why their ride was so early in the morning! I enjoyed your commentary a la Walter Mitty. Glad Julie could chime in and solve the mystery of the horses names, since we were all glued to our computer screens waiting for that update!

I'm detecting a hint--just a hint--of sarcasm there. :rotfl:

Hey, we have to try and make this stuff entertaining somehow.

The morning at the pool sounds like a lot fun and a great way to burn off some energy which didn't require, learning or studying, they just got to be kids. I too am curious to hear about your In-And-Out experience. I always worry when folks have it so built up for so long that it just won't measure up.

I can tell you that it was built up for a long time. Anytime I had ever talked to someone from California, they'd waxed nostalgic about In-n-Out burgers.

On another note, and I'm getting way ahead of your TR, but on the news program I watch this morning, they were plugging "burger week" in Pasadena. They had someone from Slater's 50/50 on the show and I realized that Slater's is a chain, and there is one in Huntington Beach! That's only a few freeway exits from my house, so that place is going on the "places to dine" list. I need to try one of these 50/50 burgers!

:woohoo: That's the place!

(Spoiler) I think I liked it more than Julie did. (End Spoiler)

Great update, and love the story line for the horse back riding.

I'm glad! Because other than that, I had nothing.:confused3

The pool looks very inviting and those Drew legs are amazing. So cute!

He's like the Pillsbury Doughboy!

Glad you had fun and towels are overrated.

It all depends on the context. :rotfl2:

I would have not liked to get up at such an early hour for a horse ride, but the pictures look lovely, so it must have been worth it!

I sure hope so! They seemed to have a lot of fun.

And I would have been with the ladies if the other choice would have been golf... :sad2: Even though I admit that the only time I am ever interested in golf is when you write about your golf adventures... :goodvibes

Don't worry, I'll try not to bore everyone too much. I think golf is a lot like running. It's generally only interesting to other people who are into it, and even then, they probably don't want to hear every single detail. So I'll try and be mindful of that, and just post some pretty pictures.:thumbsup2

And the morning at the pool seems like a great break! And probably necessary to get some energy for the exciting days ahead!

That was the idea. We had definitely covered a lot of ground up to that point.

Oh, and I am going to write about my first In-N-Out Burger visit in my next update as well! :goodvibes Will be interesting to compare notes!!

So had anyone hyped it up for you prior to your visit?

No surprise that Sarah and Julie saved the rider from the wolf/coyote/wild dog...whatever it was. ;)

They're crack shots. Don't mess with 'em.

Glad that Drew didn't give you any issue with his bottle.

You and me both. That would have made for a LONG morning.

Pool looks like a lot of fun. I love the photos of it all, but Drew's are especially cute. :)

No one can resist a fat baby!

I would have been running right with Julie. I hate BATS more than I HATE snakes or spiders. I totally skip them at the AK.

Really? I never would have guessed. :rolleyes1

Can't wait to find out if you tell the kids about Disneyland ahead of time.

We shall see...

I am really late to this party, figured you must have vacationed again after the big HI trip....:rolleyes1

Good thinking! And :welcome:

What an awesome vacation, can you adopt me?

That depends. Can you sleep through the night?

My only trip to Grand Canyon we stayed two nights at the bright angel. The pictures at the edge of the canyon actually make me nervous, having a fear of heights is not easy. But really, pictures should not have that effect. My husband and I walked down the Bright Angel Trail, I heeded the advice of "twice as long to get back to the top", and turned around at a decent spot. He on the other hand kept going....and going.... and going. Until a ranger asked where he planned on spending the night, he casually said at the top, and she told him he barely had time to make it back, he came up at least 45 minutes after dark. One of those alternately angry/scary moments in our long married life. When we went to dinner, we got to see a young women exhibiting the other picture on the sign. I was ready to call her an ambulance......

:eek:

Those warnings are there for a reason. Hiking in the canyon is no joke! I remember doing the climb out years ago, and that was extremely hard work.
Glad you didn't have an unhappy ending.

I just love the kids response to the views, having been dragged around the West as a kid, I'm sure I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.

Sometimes you appreciate it later. They're kids, they'll have their moments.

Loved Three Pitts, maybe we'll have to head back there in March.

You've been there? Cool. I could go for some bbq right about now.

Bryce and Zion are on my list in the near future, so many vacations to plan, so little time.....
Looking forward to the DL portion, your kids are adorable!

I know the feeling! And thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter