The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

I could swear I commented on this. Like last week. Weird!

OH well, I think I had made some snarky, but all in good friendly fun, comments about golf, and polite hand clapping, and sand traps. They aren't so funny now. I've have never golfed aside from putt-putt, which I suck at. I usually end up taking about 10 strokes per hole. But, anyway, your photos are awesome in a golfy kind of way. ;)

Totally speed reading before work, but I am so happy to see Scotty all smiles after his Mickelson encounter. Good for him for holding his ground and getting those autographs.

What a beautiful golf course and club house, not to mention the fact that the weather looks picture perfect.

OMG - your dad looks so young. Seriously - you look like you could be brothers.

Uggh! On the traffic. I seem to do that a lot here- underestimate the time I need to get to an event because I forget other people will be going too.

Scott looks so excited to be there, in a cool way of course.

I'm behind on this TR, but I brought a note from home explaining why.
Guess I'll start off with the first Scotty update then...

It was a dark and stormy night.

the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

By which I mean it was early morning, with fair skies.

Oh… well never mind then.

If you are unfamiliar with Southwest

And I am so bereft….

you are able to check into your flight online 24 hours before the departure time. Southwest has open seating, and the first to check in are put in the first groups of people to board. They generally board in 3 groups: A, B, and C. If you checked in as soon as the window opened, you used to be able to board with the A group. But since airlines never tire of finding ways to squeeze a few more dollars out of your pocket, they started selling off the early boarding positions as well as reserving them for the “business class” passengers willing to pay more for the seats. Now, the best you can usually hope for is a chance to board at the beginning of the B group.

Lovely…
More reasons not to fly.

It was actually a nice relief not to be the one in charge of all of the travel details for once.

Adventures by Disney

It should therefore arrive as no surprise, then, that as of 6:00 that morning, my father had not checked us in for our flight.

Whoops… I mean Adventures by Daddy.

2. Someone is going to have a very interesting seat-mate in Scotty.

Undeniably, it ought to be the highlight of their entire journey.

It’s been a while since I had basic thermodynamics in school…

Not a problem, common sense should’a been sufficient.
But, as the mooch, I’d not have been arguing either.

Scotty was next to two old ladies who seemed to struggle to grasp the concept of buckling the seat belt

Insert Tab-A into Slot-B…
Darn these Ikea inspired instruction manuals!

I was next to a…well-proportioned gentleman

Odd… I don’t remember being on that flight.

Upon landing in Orlando and taking the Not-A-Monorail to the main terminal…

So close and yet so far…

while my mother passed out the warm sodas and three cheeseburgers she’d bought.

Wait… three?
Me thinks that this plan has gone slightly awry.

My father, exasperated, took one for the team…

Cause that’s what you do…
Ain’t you glad you’re not “The Father” on this trip?

Warning: the rest of this post concerns a museum totally devoted to golf. If you are subject to narcolepsy, please click the “back” button on your browser now.

Ehhh…
I force folks to read dissertations on various modes of transportation, obscure history and dragons.
I can at least hear you out on this topic of curious lore.

This is probably the first time it’s been photographed with someone wearing a bright orange Philadelphia Flyers t-shirt.

Kind’a stood out it in the first picture as well.
But the addition of a penalty box and a few impromptu brawls might just be exactly what golf has been in need of to increase its popularity among the unwashed masses.

There’s also a putting green where you can try out the clubs and balls of the old days. Oddly enough, I found that I putted just as well with this equipment as I do with modern technology. Which is to say I couldn’t make any putts.

You’ll be needing one of them there Al Czervik specials then…

350x700px-LL-76e7856d_caddyshack-rodney.jpeg

Hay… Al’s togs even match that Flyers jersey.

I can’t quite make out the titles, but I’m pretty sure they were called the fried egg, the griddle, and the waffle iron.

Breakfast on “the Links”.
So are golf courses named for sausage, of is it the other way around?
Or maybe it’s like sausage in that it’s best not to actually watch how certain individuals undertake the actual playing of the game.

And no, I have never attempted to play golf with a real waffle iron. I suspect it might be easier. And you might get a waffle out of the deal.

got_waffle_iron_golf_ball-re138cd4fc3a34e948a42abc9f99ffaf7_z16em_324.jpg

Scotty decided to pose with a green jacket, typically awarded to winners of the Masters.

Odd…
That also matches Al Czervik’s designer duds.
It’s like a glorious theme running through this section of the TR.

This jacket is typically considered a sign of golfing royalty if you wear this jacket. Of course, no one will admit that without the Augusta National logo, not a single person would be caught dead wearing a jacket this color. It would be like raiding your great-grandfather’s closet.

url

“All too easy”

Lately, there seems to have been a trend of Masters champions wearing their jackets in unexpected places. Phil Mickelson was once caught wearing his jacket as he took his kids through a drive-thru lane at a Krispy Kreme donut shop, while Bubba Watson once wore his to a meal at the Waffle House.

More relationships between breakfast and golf?
This is just getting plain eerie.

A view from the observation deck high above the museum shows the “challenge” hole.

IMG_8646.jpg

Pur-ty…
Of course I’m a bit more drawn toward the ocean there off in the distance…
but the grounds are right nice as well.

Here’s another putting green, which runs at the same speeds as modern pro tournament greens. We used the latest in putting technology to prove, without a doubt, that none of us is a good putter.

And now you know.
And that’s half the battle.

Ok, I’ve stalled long enough. You want to know how we did with the island green, don’t you?

Oh, nooo… no, no… certainly not… errr… yes!

Fine. I thought you would all be above laughing at the misfortune of others

But we’re reading your TR!
What were you expecting?

but apparently none of you have the grace to—wait, others’ misfortune? Actually, that is kinda funny. Never mind.

**phew** Glad you snapped out it. And just in time…
I another minute of two I was going to have to dope slap some sense into ya’.

First up was Scotty. He chose a junior-size driver. Scotty stood to the side, taking a few practice swings. He lined up his shot, set his feet, drew the club back…

…and hit a line drive right into the pond. Ker-sploosh.

Right into the Lumber Yard.

Next up was my mother. She chose a women’s 3-wood as the club of record. She set her feet, swung the club back, took a mighty rip…

…and lined one into the pond. Ker-sploosh.

“Whee!”

“That's a peach, hon!”

I was next up on the tee. The yardage was 141 yards, into the wind. I chose an 8-iron.

Be the ball…

I just want to say, I’d been up since 5:30 a.m. I’d been wedged awkwardly into an airline seat next to a portly fellow for 2 hours, and then spent another 2 hours in a hot Florida rental car with a dark interior. It was getting late in the day, and the wind was picking up, and it was directly against me. I hadn’t warmed up at all, so my swing was very stiff.

You’re not being the ball…

It landed safely on the green.

No, really! There it is, on the left side:

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former civil engineer, now, about to become the Masters champion.

(How many chrysanthemums did you take out on the practice swings?)

In Scripture, the 5th Commandment is to honor thy father and mother. I am a loving son, proud of my parents and grateful for the generosity and guidance they have showed me through my formative years and continue to show me today. I chose to protect my father’s dignity in this case, and chose to react to that abject failure with quiet stoicism.

Ain’t buyin’ it.

For about a tenth of a second, anyway.

Annnnnd there it is.

We moved on to the putting course, which is basically mini-golf without the windmills, chutes, ramps and other stuff that makes it more interesting.

They have a course like that at Fantasia Gardens.
As well as one with the windmills.
I’ve got’s pictures.
Just sayin…

I do love my parents, but there’s a reason we don’t travel together much anymore.

Agreed…
But it is hard to argue with free.

Scotty really wanted a cheese pizza, so I ended up splitting that with him. That boy can crush a pizza. He easily ate four slices. I have no idea what I will do when he’s a teenager.

And you really don’t want to know just yet.
Let it be a surprise.

Coming Up Next: Just what you wanted! More golf!

It’s like you read my mind!

Now I just need to go off and actually read that update.
I'll be back!

"Golf is not a fair game, so why build a course fair?"—Pete Dye

He was just trying to mirror life, I see.

And thanks for the Bonus Feature.
All learning is good learning.

He’s been known to require certain types of shots on his courses simply because “the pros hate this shot”.

I like this guy.

Well, apparently the secret is out. We reached the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway and came to a dead stop.

Hay, it wasn’t me. I swear, I didn’t tell a sole about it.

Someone was taking himself way too seriously.

And I’d say, likely didn’t want to be there either.
Probably, really didn’t want to be there.

From there, we were sent through a maze of cones with no organization whatsoever, staffed by hundreds of bored teens waving flags in different directions with no clear purpose.

A visual representation of Reddit…
(and most other social media sites for that matter)

The tournament changed its policy recently and now allows spectators to bring cell phones onto the course, provided the ringer is on silent

Riiiiiiiight…
:sad2:

I had Scotty sit in the same spot…only he ignored my advice

He really had no choice but to ignore you.
Not only was it dad’s advice but something that older brother had done.
Every bone in his body (regardless of the consequence) was screaming: Noooooooooo!

this time most of the kids seemed very well-behaved and polite. It was refreshing.

I know a particular Trooper that might have benefited from the example.

The adults, on the other hand…

Sensing a smidgen of entitlement mixed with a healthy dash of opportunism here…
a recipe that makes for a right bitter drink indeed.

Anyway, Scotty did really well collecting autographs. Several of the big-name players did not bother to come out, which was somewhat disappointing. But he did get his favorite, as Mickelson came out to sign even after missing the cut.

Good for Scotty (and for Phil for that matter)

Scotty was a trooper, though, and got several signatures. He used the same autograph book he had taken on his last trip to Disney World, so Mickelson is right next to Buzz Lightyear on the pages.

And then Scotty happened.
That… is both hysterical and priceless at the same time.

Because hitting into a bunker isn’t bad enough, you really need to punish them with a tree there too.

No injury is complete without a bit of insult added on top.
It’s like the caramelized sugar on top of the Crème brûlée.

While we were there, I was able to meet up with DisneyFed,

Very cool!

Like all selfies, I think this one shows off my nose hairs and double chin very well. But hey, at least I can prove we met.

Article introduced into evidence as Peoples Exhibit-A
And I’m considerably less photogenic then you so the protests are falling on deaf ears here.

By the way…
What phrase did Fed intend to go along with that hashtag?

For meals, this turned into a day for barbecue. Fed had recommended a local joint while we were in the area called 4 Rivers Smokehouse. The closest one was in Jacksonville and we didn’t think we were going to make it there, but it turned out they had a booth at the golf tournament. So I indulged in a nice pulled pork sandwich there.

Two votes for that one.
Wish I’d remembered the name of the place before we headed out last week.

But I can confirm that the Metro Grill in that same area serves up one mighty fine plate-o-breakfast
(and I will be trying it out for lunch at some point in the future as well)

On the way out, we posed for one last shot at the island green.

IMG_0702%25255B1%25255D.JPG

And that’s the money shot.

Coming Up Next: Space. The final frontier.

Cool!

We stopped off at the KSC after we got off the ship this past Saturday.
I hadn’t been on the property for better than twenty years so it was mightily changed from my last recollection. Looking forward to seeing how y’all experienced it.

I've played Pete Dye courses before. I have no business on a Pete Dye course. Ever.

I've played a couple, too. And I came away with the same impression!

Calm down, Fed.

Seriously. All that pent-up aggression is not good for him.

Well, I just hope that there at least weren't any selfie sticks.

Didn't see any, thank goodness.

Oh, why not? I'd be interested in any memorable great shots or crash and burns that you witnessed.

Nothing to really wow you. I felt bad for Ernie Els. He came to the 17th at 4-under par, in the thick of things, and hit a tee shot that was right over top of the pin. Unfortunately the pin was on the back shelf of the green with only about 6 feet to the water back there. Double-bogey.

You know, I'm noticing this is becoming a startling trend in our society.

:sad2: People drive me crazy.

Great idea! You don't really think of golf as being a kid friendly sport, necessarily. I'm glad that they're taking steps to make this tournament more appealing to the kids!

I think it actually is very kid-friendly. The downside is that it's an expensive game, but many courses are good about letting kids play free with a paying adult. The tournaments themselves are actually really good. You can get really close to the ropes (and therefore the players) at many of them, and a lot of players are very generous with autographs, giving away balls, gloves, etc. You get to watch about 12 hours of golf for the price of the ticket.

Awesome! Phil always seems to be good about taking some time for the fans. I'm sure that really meant a lot to Scotty.

Scotty was thrilled to get his autograph. I'm sure Mickelson has his detractors, but he's always been a class act with the fans.

That's awesome!

To me, it's as it should be. A kid isn't worried about the re-sale value of the autograph. A kid will cherish a pro golfer and Mickey Mouse equally.:thumbsup2

Woohoo! Dismeet with Fed. I can only imagine some of the stories he had. But how much fun would it be to tackle a drunk guy out on the fairway during the Players Championship?

I guess it depends on if you're the tackler or the drunk guy.

And I'm sure you did too.

::yes::

So... what was your favorite hole again?

Well, the par 5's on the course are all very interesting from a strategic standpoint.

What, not buying it?

Hey, it's a proven fact.

:thumbsup2

Shocking. So hard to believe.

I get so tired of other people sometimes.

I would've done that too, but I sold my Buzz Lightyear autograph on eBay.

Ooh, what did you get for it?:rotfl:

I remember playing this, and the famous 17th of course, on a golf computer game I used to have. It was always a question of how much of that pond do you think you can (or dare attempt) to clear, or do you lay up further right and probably cost yourself an extra stroke.

Exactly. That's such a tough hole. There are a bunch of trees to the right that block your second shot if you bail out over there, too. I always seem to do better on the computer simulation, though.:confused3

My favorite picture of the bunch. Scotty looks so happy, despite the whole golf thing.

That's all that matters!

Good call then.

Is that like a car phone?

Yes, only now you can walk around with it in public so everyone can hear your conversation.

Very generous of you.

What can I say? I'm such a good guy.

I could swear I commented on this. Like last week. Weird!

:confused3

OH well, I think I had made some snarky, but all in good friendly fun, comments about golf, and polite hand clapping, and sand traps. They aren't so funny now. I've have never golfed aside from putt-putt, which I suck at. I usually end up taking about 10 strokes per hole. But, anyway, your photos are awesome in a golfy kind of way.

439381c7f9ea4704ebe3a0dd3c010669.gif

I usually take 10 strokes per hole, too, but that's on a regulation course.:thumbsup2

Totally speed reading before work, but I am so happy to see Scotty all smiles after his Mickelson encounter. Good for him for holding his ground and getting those autographs.

He was a trooper! Now next time maybe we can actually watch the golf.:rotfl2:

What a beautiful golf course and club house, not to mention the fact that the weather looks picture perfect.

It really was a nice day! We had one rain shower, but that didn't last too long.

OMG - your dad looks so young. Seriously - you look like you could be brothers.

I don't know whether to be happy for my dad or scared for me! :scared1::rotfl2:

Uggh! On the traffic. I seem to do that a lot here- underestimate the time I need to get to an event because I forget other people will be going too.

It was never a problem in years past, I think that's why we were unprepared.

Scott looks so excited to be there, in a cool way of course.

Whew! If there's one thing we worry about in my family, it's looking uncool. :rotfl:

the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

Good start! What happens next?

Oh… well never mind then.

Yeah, mine tend to fizzle out too.

And I am so bereft….

Lovely…
More reasons not to fly.

It's not too bad if you know the system.

Adventures by Disney are a bucket list item for me. If only I had unlimited funds. Those trips look so cool.

Whoops… I mean Adventures by Daddy.

Not quite as cool.

Undeniably, it ought to be the highlight of their entire journey.

It would certainly be memorable, one way or another.

Not a problem, common sense should’a been sufficient.
But, as the mooch, I’d not have been arguing either.

I'll just sit and drink my warm soda.

Insert Tab-A into Slot-B…
Darn these Ikea inspired instruction manuals!

The instructions would be a lot more complicated than that, if it was Ikea!

Odd… I don’t remember being on that flight.

I've been taking up more room myself lately.

So close and yet so far…

It really is a terrible feeling. Killed me, if you want to know the truth.

Wait… three?
Me thinks that this plan has gone slightly awry.

:sad2:

Cause that’s what you do…
Ain’t you glad you’re not “The Father” on this trip?

In this case, yes!

Ehhh…
I force folks to read dissertations on various modes of transportation, obscure history and dragons.
I can at least hear you out on this topic of curious lore.

Well, transportation modes and dragons can be pretty interesting.:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Kind’a stood out it in the first picture as well.
But the addition of a penalty box and a few impromptu brawls might just be exactly what golf has been in need of to increase its popularity among the unwashed masses.

I remember an old NHL commercial showing a guy trying to make a putt and the other golfer diving to block it at the last second. The tag line was, "Golf would be better if it was hockey.":rotfl:

You’ll be needing one of them there Al Czervik specials then…

350x700px-LL-76e7856d_caddyshack-rodney.jpeg

Hay… Al’s togs even match that Flyers jersey.

Well, it doesn't not match...

Breakfast on “the Links”.
So are golf courses named for sausage, of is it the other way around?
Or maybe it’s like sausage in that it’s best not to actually watch how certain individuals undertake the actual playing of the game.

I like that analogy. It would definitely apply in my case.

Bravo, sir.

Odd…
That also matches Al Czervik’s designer duds.
It’s like a glorious theme running through this section of the TR.

Match? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

“All too easy”

:darth:

More relationships between breakfast and golf?
This is just getting plain eerie.

And I'm getting hungry.

Pur-ty…
Of course I’m a bit more drawn toward the ocean there off in the distance…
but the grounds are right nice as well.

Sorry there's no boat in the photo. I know that would have appealed to you.

And now you know.
And that’s half the battle.

knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

Oh, nooo… no, no… certainly not… errr… yes!

Sadists, all of you.

But we’re reading your TR!
What were you expecting?

Wallowing in my misery. Shameful.

**phew** Glad you snapped out it. And just in time…
I another minute of two I was going to have to dope slap some sense into ya’.

You'd have to get in line.

Right into the Lumber Yard.

“Whee!”

“That's a peach, hon!”

Be the ball…

You’re not being the ball…

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former civil engineer, now, about to become the Masters champion.

(How many chrysanthemums did you take out on the practice swings?)

+5:thumbsup2 for the Caddyshack run there. I just watched that recently. Oh, and at least 4 chrysanthemums.

Ain’t buyin’ it.

Annnnnd there it is.

You can't expect me to hold it in forever.

They have a course like that at Fantasia Gardens.
As well as one with the windmills.
I’ve got’s pictures.
Just sayin…

::yes:: I like Fantasia Gardens. It's a fun one. Winter Summerland was enjoyable too.

Agreed…
But it is hard to argue with free.

If it's free, it's for me!

And you really don’t want to know just yet.
Let it be a surprise.

:faint: I don't think my wallet can handle this.

It’s like you read my mind!

Now I just need to go off and actually read that update.
I'll be back!

With a truck through the front door?

He was just trying to mirror life, I see.

And thanks for the Bonus Feature.
All learning is good learning.

I like this guy.

Pete Dye cracks me up whenever I read about him. I was reading an article about another architect who apprenticed under Dye. He said on one job, Dye thought a portion of a green looked a little too flat. So his instruction to the bulldozer operator, in technical terms, was "Go @#$% up that side of the green, will ya?"

Hay, it wasn’t me. I swear, I didn’t tell a sole about it.

A likely story.

And I’d say, likely didn’t want to be there either.
Probably, really didn’t want to be there.

I'm so glad he decided to take it out on everyone else!

A visual representation of Reddit…
(and most other social media sites for that matter)

I have never actually been on Reddit.

Riiiiiiiight…

He really had no choice but to ignore you.
Not only was it dad’s advice but something that older brother had done.
Every bone in his body (regardless of the consequence) was screaming: Noooooooooo!

I'm sure that was it. You can lead a horse to water...

I know a particular Trooper that might have benefited from the example.

Sensing a smidgen of entitlement mixed with a healthy dash of opportunism here…
a recipe that makes for a right bitter drink indeed.

Not to mention a few servings of those drinks.

Good for Scotty (and for Phil for that matter)

And then Scotty happened.
That… is both hysterical and priceless at the same time.

I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

No injury is complete without a bit of insult added on top.
It’s like the caramelized sugar on top of the Crème brûlée.

Win some, lose some, I guess.

Very cool!

Article introduced into evidence as Peoples Exhibit-A
And I’m considerably less photogenic then you so the protests are falling on deaf ears here.

By the way…
What phrase did Fed intend to go along with that hashtag?

I...I have no idea. I figured it was a gang sign or something.:confused3

Two votes for that one.
Wish I’d remembered the name of the place before we headed out last week.

But I can confirm that the Metro Grill in that same area serves up one mighty fine plate-o-breakfast
(and I will be trying it out for lunch at some point in the future as well)

Sorry you missed out! I haven't heard of Metro Grill, but I'll have to look it up.

And that’s the money shot.

:goodvibes

Cool!

We stopped off at the KSC after we got off the ship this past Saturday.
I hadn’t been on the property for better than twenty years so it was mightily changed from my last recollection. Looking forward to seeing how y’all experienced it.

It's pretty cool.

Nope. I knows science. That's impossible except on Star Trek.

Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it!

Sorry, been watching too many afterschool specials.

Nothing to really wow you. I felt bad for Ernie Els. He came to the 17th at 4-under par, in the thick of things, and hit a tee shot that was right over top of the pin. Unfortunately the pin was on the back shelf of the green with only about 6 feet to the water back there. Double-bogey.

Is this even English? :confused3

Saturday, May 9

The miles of walking around the golf course had tired us out, so we slept in a bit on Saturday and didn’t hit the road until about 9:00 a.m. We had a 2-hour drive ahead of us, so we all settled into the car. I downloaded the photos off of Scotty’s camera to get a window into his thoughts as we drove.

P1050038.JPG

Scott, ladies and gentlemen. The one and only.

We took the exit for our destination and headed east near the town of Titusville. It’s a remote stretch of road beyond the highway, which is important to note since our fuel light was now on, indicating we were on our last gallon of gas. Nevertheless, we pushed on. My notes say we reached our destination at 11:15 a.m.

IMG_8675.jpg

The Kennedy Space Center visitor complex first opened in 1967 and was an instant success, thanks to the Apollo program and high interest from the public in NASA (the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, for you non-Americans out there). By 1969 it was already hosting over 1 million visitors per year and has been a highly popular tourist attraction ever since.

We paid our parking fee and were directed to the lot closest to the main entrance, which gave us hope that even with our late start, we wouldn’t have to worry about crowds. Those hopes were dashed when we saw the lines at the ticket windows.

IMG_8672.jpg

Ay caramba. Well, there wasn’t much we could do, so my parents jumped in line while I wandered the entrance plaza with Scotty. Off to the left, I could see several kiosks marked “Self-Service Ticketing”. Even better, there was hardly anyone there! Hoping we could beat the lines (and the system), we hurried on over to find…not a single screen was working. They were all as dead as Julius Caesar. So much for that idea.

Meanwhile, the line simply crawled along. Upon closer look, neither booth had all of the windows open. And my parents waited.

And waited.

Scotty and I wandered.

IMG_8670.jpg

And wandered.

IMG_8671.jpg

We even went into the gift shop, conveniently located outside the gates in case there was that one souvenir you just had to have.

We wandered back. My parents were still far back in line. At some point, I asked if my dad could pull up the website on his phone, order tickets, and get them at the Will Call window which had a much shorter line. He actually tried it, but the website wasn’t working properly.

There was a food truck by the gate that served hot dogs and “flatbreads” (Come on. Everybody knows they’re pizzas). It was getting closer to 12:00, so I offered to go get lunch as my parents continued to wait. Scotty and I took everyone’s orders and then grabbed the food. He had his third pizza of the trip.

Finally, at about 12:10, my parents bought the tickets for admission. As it turned out, all of the KSC’s computers were down, so they had to take everyone’s credit cards by hand individually. So we could put a man on the moon using a computer no more powerful than my pocket calculator, but could not successfully read a credit card.

In any case, we’d finished our lunch and were able to enter.

IMG_8673.jpg

Having seen the line at the ticket booth, we were worried about crowds, but it turned out that it wasn’t an issue. Those were the worst lines we’d see all day. We headed straight for the entrance to the bus tour.

The meat-and-potatoes portion of any visit to the Kennedy Space Center is the bus tour of the property. It takes a couple of hours and gives visitors a glimpse at the various parts of the property, including the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB), launch pads, crawlers and observation posts, as well as a stop at the Saturn V building and exhibit.

Within a few minutes, we were on our way. The driver narrated the trip as we went along, and soon we were passing the VAB.

IMG_8676.jpg

This is the building where the rockets and space shuttles are assembled together in proper position before being transferred to the launch pad. It’s one of the largest buildings in North America, although the lack of scale makes it hard to understand its sheer size just by looking at it. So, some facts and figures from our bus driver to help you out:

The stars on the flag painted on the side of the building are each 6 feet wide.

You could use the stripes as a travel lane for the tour bus we were riding.

Old Yankee Stadium would fit on the roof of this building.

The dark gray doors on the side are some of the largest doors in the world. It would be possible to slide the Statue of Liberty through them easily, without scraping any of the sides.

In this photo, you can see the control center, housed in the building in front of the VAB. This is where the launch control is headquartered. The windows give them a direct view of the launch pads.

IMG_8682.jpg

We drove by the crawler, which is the massive transport vehicle used to move rockets, shuttles, etc. from the VAB to the launch pad. It drives on a huge road made of smooth Tennessee River Rock which is brought in, of course, from Alabama. When loaded down with cargo, the crawler makes its way to the pad at 1 mile per hour. Once it has offloaded the ship to the pad, it can speed back to the VAB at a top speed of 2 mph. I forget how many miles per gallon of gasoline it got, but it was even worse than a Humvee. The blocky pad marked “2” on top is part of the portable launch pad for the new SLS rocket they’re developing for a Mars mission in the future.

Here is one of the launch pads. This was used for space shuttle missions, and the scaffolding is part of the housing that was used to support the shuttle on the pad. Last time I was here, my son David and I saw the shuttle Endeavour on the pad enclosed in this housing.

IMG_8686.jpg

The curved fence is there to keep both man and animal away from the pad. They had to curve it when they saw alligators actually climbing the fence to get over.

The driver stopped to allow us to get this shot with the VAB, launch pad, and rocket fuel tank. The water tank holds about 500,000 gallons of water which is all dumped on the pad during a launch. This is not to contain the heat, as you might expect, but rather to help dampen the sound of the launch.

It’s hard to contain the heat. Here are some concrete blast shields that have melted under a shuttle launch.

IMG_8691.jpg

The final stop on the bus tour is the Saturn V building, a museum dedicated to the Apollo missions of the 1960’s and 70’s. You actually disembark the bus here in order to go see the exhibits. The first is a large room containing the actual mission control center computers from Houston that ran the Apollo missions. It’s now part of an elaborate presentation that takes you through the launch sequence of Apollo 8 in real time.

And it’s pretty cool.

IMG_8694.jpg

From there, you are led into the main hall, where an actual Saturn V rocket awaits your discovery. This is the rocket used to launch each Apollo mission, and it’s the largest rocket NASA ever built. Words cannot describe the scale of this monster.

IMG_8695.jpg

But I can use Scotty to demonstrate the scale.

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8698.jpg

Here’s a moon landing craft. No matter how many times I see it, it always amazes me that we landed on the moon with something that looks like an Erector set wrapped in tin foil.

IMG_8700.jpg

The other main exhibit housed in this building is a show dedicated to the Apollo 11 mission, first to land on the moon. It’s another entertaining show, one that makes me proud of my country.

We checked out the Apollo exhibits which included this capsule, nicely toasted after a re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere.

IMG_8703.jpg

Hard to believe that’s all that is left after leaving the earth on the massive rocket in the other room. Makes you wonder how the astronauts felt. But then again, as Rockhound states in the movie Armageddon:

“You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?”

Of course, the Apollo astronauts didn’t have a nuclear weapon, but with all that rocket fuel underneath them, would it have mattered?

There’s one spot where you are allowed to touch an actual moon rock.

IMG_8706.jpg

Turn away now if you don’t want me to reveal that it actually feels like…

…a rock.

We finally exited the Saturn V building and returned back to the main complex on another bus. As I mentioned earlier, this bus tour really is the heart and soul of a visit here. I find NASA endlessly fascinating, and both the drivers and exhibits are full of information that is a nerd’s (and engineer’s) delight. There was a series of short videos during the bus ride detailing the hopes for the Mars mission, but as we all know, those kinds of things are always subject to funding and political winds. The folks there seem a little perturbed when funding is discussed. They like to point out that NASA is the only part of the government that actually turns a profit, due to the patents and scientific advances they’ve created.

I enjoy seeing what NASA has accomplished and imagining what it must have been like to have been a part of those groundbreaking achievements. It’s hard to look at what has been accomplished and not wonder to yourself—why don’t we still try to do things like that?

Coming Up Next: The “other” main attraction. And I try to go as far onto Disney property as I’m allowed.

Is this even English? :confused3
No, South African. :rolleyes1

We took the exit for our destination and headed east near the town of Titusville. It’s a remote stretch of road beyond the highway, which is important to note since our fuel light was now on, indicating we were on our last gallon of gas.
So... you get to drink a warm soda and push the car back to the hotel at the end of the day, don't you?

We paid our parking fee and were directed to the lot closest to the main entrance, which gave us hope that even with our late start, we wouldn’t have to worry about crowds. Those hopes were dashed when we saw the lines at the ticket windows.
:eek: :scared1: :crowded: That is crazy!

Off to the left, I could see several kiosks marked “Self-Service Ticketing”. Even better, there was hardly anyone there! Hoping we could beat the lines (and the system), we hurried on over to find…not a single screen was working. They were all as dead as Julius Caesar. So much for that idea.
Hence the ridiculous lines.

Meanwhile, the line simply crawled along. Upon closer look, neither booth had all of the windows open. And my parents waited.
Well of course not! They laid off 2/3 of the ticket sellers when they opened those self service terminals. :faint:

Finally, at about 12:10, my parents bought the tickets for admission. As it turned out, all of the KSC’s computers were down, so they had to take everyone’s credit cards by hand individually. So we could put a man on the moon using a computer no more powerful than my pocket calculator, but could not successfully read a credit card.
That's just crazy that it took so long to get in. But I can understand why now. It's crazy how dependent we are on technology. Nobody carries enough cash to buy anything anymore. No business still has the old credit card purchase equipment, so if the computers are down, all heck breaks loose. Welcome to the stone age.

They had to curve it when they saw alligators actually climbing the fence to get over.
:eek: Alligators just went to a higher level on the fear factor list when it comes to animals that can eat you.

It’s hard to contain the heat. Here are some concrete blast shields that have melted under a shuttle launch.
Wow. I'm not sure I've ever seen those before. That's cool. Well, it's cool now. It clearly was very hot.

Yup. It's big.

I clearly need to get back to KSC. It has been a while. They didn't have the rocket under roof with a stripmall looking thing next to it last time I was there. It has been probably 20 years or so.

Here’s a moon landing craft. No matter how many times I see it, it always amazes me that we landed on the moon with something that looks like an Erector set wrapped in tin foil.
::yes:: It just proves that the astronauts were either extremely smart with a great understanding of science and trust for the NASA engineers or they were totally frickin' nuts.

The other main exhibit housed in this building is a show dedicated to the Apollo 11 mission, first to land on the moon. It’s another entertaining show, one that makes me proud of my country.
::yes:: And proud to be a Purdue Boilermaker. Neil Armstrong. Class of 1955. :thumbsup2

I never noticed the hidden Mickey before. :rolleyes1

…a rock.
Granite? Limestone? Quartz? :confused3

The folks there seem a little perturbed when funding is discussed. They like to point out that NASA is the only part of the government that actually turns a profit, due to the patents and scientific advances they’ve created.
I can only imagine. NASA has done some amazing things over the years. And I'd love to see what they're capable of doing next!

I enjoy seeing what NASA has accomplished and imagining what it must have been like to have been a part of those groundbreaking achievements. It’s hard to look at what has been accomplished and not wonder to yourself—why don’t we still try to do things like that?
Um... the Disboards mods don't approve of political commentary so I'll just shut up. :rolleyes1

Ooops....I'm behind again.

That's too bad about the traffic on the way to the golf course. It is a stunning course, and Scotty sure looked thrilled to be there.

And :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: for a DIS meet.

Good idea to sleep in. But too bad you didn't know about the computers not working and the wait for tickets to the Space Center. I'm still not sure why we never took our boys there (or why my husband didn't; I would have used the opportunity myself to shop).

I'm glad once you got in that you didn't have any issues with lines. It sounds like a good afternoon thus far. Cool that Scotty got to touch a moon rock.

And I'm digging that shirt Scotty's wearing.

Looking forward to the other main attraction at the Space Center and your going "as far onto Disney property as I’m allowed" and meeting the "other" attraction. ;)

Well, transportation modes and
dragons can be pretty interesting.:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Ehhh…
Two out of three.

Sorry there's no boat in the photo. I know that would have appealed to you.

No problem…
You’re gonn’a be making up for it in a couple of posts.

:faint: I don't think my wallet can handle this.

No one’s can, but somehow we muddle through anyway.

I have never actually been on Reddit.

Any social media site will pretty much fit the analogy.

Sorry you missed out! I haven't heard of Metro Grill, but I'll have to look it up.

I think you’d like the place.
It showed up on an episode of “Triple-D”.
I’ll tell you more about it later on.

The miles of walking around the golf course had tired us out,

Something golf courses apparently have in common with Disney…
So you had that going for you.

I downloaded the photos off of Scotty’s camera to get a window into his thoughts as we drove.

P1050038.JPG

Scott, ladies and gentlemen. The one and only.

And the world stands in awe.

It’s a remote stretch of road beyond the highway, which is important to note since our fuel light was now on

Tis a bit remote once you hit the causeway…
I do hope this is merely a comment and not a foreshadowing.

:woohoo:

This is going to be fun to see how y’all experienced it.
Since we showed up there just a couple weeks later and I intend to write about it myself in a while, I won’t interject too much. But then again…

It’s likely that no one except maybe you and possibly Andy would ever even see that, so I may change my mind.
We’ll see.

We paid our parking fee

The bit I forgot about…
Luckily I did have enough cash left.

Those hopes were dashed when we saw the lines at the ticket windows. Ay caramba.

Something I think you mentioned as an aside somewhere or other.
I remember having heard it though, so I came up with a plan-B for the tickets.
Sorry y’all had to give up the time.

Off to the left, I could see several kiosks marked “Self-Service Ticketing”. Even better, there was hardly anyone there! Hoping we could beat the lines (and the system), we hurried on over to find…not a single screen was working. They were all as dead as Julius Caesar.

Et tu, technology…

It was getting closer to 12:00, so I offered to go get lunch as my parents continued to wait.

Glad someone was thinking with his stomach.

He had his third pizza of the trip.

The preferred diet of the Common Domestic Scotty

As it turned out, all of the KSC’s computers were down, so they had to take everyone’s credit cards by hand individually.

Wooooooow…
Is that what it was?
So low bidders are still a problem then?

The meat-and-potatoes portion of any visit to the Kennedy Space Center is the bus tour of the property.

Certainly ranks up there in wow factors.
Depending on just how high one registers on the Geek-o-Meter, there are many here.

I forget how many miles per gallon of gasoline it got, but it was even worse than a Humvee.

I remember that bit…
It’s 36 feet/gallon.
That might be better than a Humvee

Here is one of the launch pads.

39-B
Currently being leased to the folks from Space-X

the scaffolding is part of the housing that was used to support the shuttle on the pad.

And interestingly the pad and that scaffolding are considered to be a historical site, so the Space-X folks have to be careful about how they use it and what modifications they make.

The curved fence is there to keep both man and animal away from the pad. They had to curve it when they saw alligators actually climbing the fence to get over.

The Gators get up to the curved part and flop over on their backs.
That’d be a sight to see.
They may be tenacious, but they’re not too bright.

Thank the lord.

The water tank holds about 500,000 gallons of water which is all dumped on the pad during a launch. This is not to contain the heat, as you might expect, but rather to help dampen the sound of the launch.

I love that bit…
It’s just not something that the average person wouldn’t consider needed to be taken into account. But the whole place is also a wildlife refuge, and that has a good bit to do with how NASA goes about dealing with a number of day to day things.

The final stop on the bus tour is the Saturn V building

And that came as a complete, total and wondrous surprise to me…
But I’ll explain why and tell that story later on.

The first is a large room containing the actual mission control center computers from Houston that ran the Apollo missions. It’s now part of an elaborate presentation that takes you through the launch sequence of Apollo 8 in real time.

Those count downs still give me chills.

Words cannot describe the scale of this monster.

Good reference, but it still pales compared to standing there.
Anyone who hasn’t…
Really, really needs to.

Did you ever see the HBO series “Froom the Earth to the Moon”?
Wonderful stuff the whole series, but the part about building the LEM (I think the episode was titled: “Spider”) gives some fascinating insights into the process and thinking behind that spindly bit of cellophane and tinker-toys.

Excuse me… that brilliantly engineered spindly bit of cellophane and tinker-toys.

We checked out the Apollo exhibits which included this capsule, nicely toasted after a re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere.

The "Kitty Hawk” to be specific.
And Andy is right… That’s the first time I’ve noticed the Hidden Mickey as well.

I find NASA endlessly fascinating, and both the drivers and exhibits are full of information that is a nerd’s (and engineer’s) delight.

<<raises hand>>
Me too…

It’s hard to look at what has been accomplished and not wonder to yourself—why don’t we still try to do things like that?

The polite answer would be:

short sightedness.

This happened to us at World of Coke in Atlanta! But we were lucky enough to be there on a Wednesday, so not many crowds. We were even able to walk right up and get our picture with the Coke Bear, but he was really creepy looking. I have an awkward expression in the photos because I didn't want to get too close.

The meat-and-potatoes portion of any visit to the Kennedy Space Center is the bus tour of the property. It takes a couple of hours and gives visitors a glimpse at the various parts of the property, including the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB), launch pads, crawlers and observation posts, as well as a stop at the Saturn V building and exhibit.

I did this, but back in...wow, 1999. So I don't remember most of it, except getting to see a bald eagle in it's nest (which was very cool) and the bus driver quipping "This isn't Disney folks, he's real!"

I also remember doing the launch simulation, where you sit in a theater and the windows glow red and you're jostled around a bit. At 8 it was the highlight of the trip for me

We drove by the crawler, which is the massive transport vehicle used to move rockets, shuttles, etc. from the VAB to the launch pad. It drives on a huge road made of smooth Tennessee River Rock which is brought in, of course, from Alabama. When loaded down with cargo, the crawler makes its way to the pad at 1 mile per hour. Once it has offloaded the ship to the pad, it can speed back to the VAB at a top speed of 2 mph. I forget how many miles per gallon of gasoline it got, but it was even worse than a Humvee. The blocky pad marked “2” on top is part of the portable launch pad for the new SLS rocket they’re developing for a Mars mission in the future.

It moves faster than when we moved Cape Hatteras. I think the rate of speed was measured in inches per day. Maybe feet. Read more here.
And maybe you'll understand more of the article than I did

See, this. This right here is why I'm deathly afraid of alligators. They have freakish abilities. And they're just creepy.

Your comment about engineers enjoying the Space Center more reminds me of the last weekend, when there was an air show in a nearby town. DBF's parents went, and his dad is a mechanical engineer. So he's talking about how amazing it is that one plane stayed almost vertical for x number of feet in the climb, and describing the maneuvers....and I'm sitting there like "well, isn't that what they're supposed to do?"

I was never a STEM child. Much more arts savvy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter