The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

Naturally, I was forbidden by Julie to even think of entering a Disney Park or proceeding any further onto Disney Property than Downtown Disney, and even then my primary purpose there was only to buy gifts for those forced to stay home back in Delaware. This was seen as just and right by all of Julie's friends.
I don't like it... but ok...

I told them they were not allowed to enter Disneyland or California Adventure without the rest of us present.
What goes around....

This was seen as horribly unfair and cruel by all of Julie's friends, because the only consistent part of these disputes between husbands and wives are the double standards involved.
:sad2: Not cool. But I know exactly what you're talking about. :duck:

Admission includes a mini-golf course and a chance to take a shot at an island green, so I'm sure Scotty and I will have fun with it.
A chance? Singular? Can't you at least drop balls until you land one? The way I normally golf, I'd either put it about 3 feet from the hole, or I could empty a bucket of range balls just trying to keep one dry. There's no middle ground.

The worst score on this hole in pro competition was recorded by Bob Tway in 2005, who put 4 balls in the water and then finally made the green only to 3-putt his way to a 12.
That's... actually not that bad. I could do much worse.

A couple of decades ago, a magazine held a competition here to determine America's Worst Avid Golfer. The "winner" hit many, many shots into the water before giving up and putting his way around the lake and over the bridge. He recorded a score of 66 for this one hole.
Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!

I've never putted around a water hazard, but I did one time finish half the fairway on the 18th hole of a course in Gatlinburg with my putter after slicing a couple of balls in the pond along the side of the fairway and getting excessively overheated and P!$$#d off! I didn't come close to 66 strokes though. Sounds like I'm not even as good as I thought I was at sucking at golf.

They have a great tour of the facilities, exhibits on the Saturn V rocket and moon landing, and a new exhibit that is the permanent home for the Space Shuttle Atlantis, so I'm looking forward to seeing that with Scotty.
That should be awesome. It has been a long time since I've been to KSR. I don't know if you plan to do a TR or mini-TR, but I'd love to see it if you do. You know, both the KSR stuff and the golf part.

And any instances of Scotty being Scotty.

I have been forbidden from proceeding any further into Disney property and under no circumstances am I to enter a Disney park without the rest of the family present.
:sad2:

Julie and her friends view this condition as completely just and fair.
Julie needs new friends. :duck:

We leave next Thursday (May 7), and after the crappy news at work this past month, I could really use the break!
Sounds like good timing. Have a great time. Just be careful to not have so much fun that you might anger Julie and her friends. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Oh, I guess I got things mixed up and I was thinking of the Masters Tournament one! sorry, it involved golf though...

And I have to say that I think that it is only just that no one goes to a Disney park without the rest of the family - that is until a kid is paying for their own ticket with money they earned from a job...

But I do have a very strict approach to what is fair, kind of comes with my job...

What a fantastic trip! I love that the kids get experiences instead of toys.

Jill in CO

Hmmmm...I may have to take a quick get-away to DTD if I get a chance to say hello since I'm there then. Sounds like a nice birthday trip for Scotty.

I'm with you on the experiences over material things, but you would never believe that if you saw our house. :rolleyes1

I think I would rather watch the Petrified Wood form than golf, but that's just me. :rotfl2:

Now the Kennedy Space Center! I'm all over THAT! I'd love to get back there again sometime.

I'm going to get on your side and say that it was totally fair to demand that Julie and Sarah not step inside a park without you and the boys. Didn't it make last summer's trip all that more special, and that Drew was there with you too?

Sounds like a weekend that you will thoroughly enjoy!

So Scotty recently celebrated his 9th birthday.

And a belated Happy to Scotty

Every year, my parents have been giving my kids a day trip as a birthday present, rather than cluttering our house with more toys that make the same incessant noises over and over and constantly need batteries. And we appreciate that, believe me. As a result, my parents have taken them to Philadelphia, D.C., Broadway shows in New York, etc. They love having a special day like that.

You’ve mentioned these in the past.
Among the coolest gift giving policies I’ve ever encountered.
Bravo to them!

Anyway, this year it's time for Scotty's "big" trip. We're basically repeating David's trip…

I said it before…
I’m certain that no one else in the house dropped any hints of any kind as to the destination that ought to be chosen.

Riiiiiight?

World Golf Hall of Fame
The Players Championship
Kennedy Space Center
Downtown Disney

Yep… That should make for one fine expedition.
Again, I think it’s truly spectacular that y’all have been able to do these kinds of experiences for your young’ens (and finding way to tag along ain’t a bad bit of finagling either, might I add).

I have been forbidden from proceeding any further into Disney property and under no circumstances am I to enter a Disney park without the rest of the family present. Julie and her friends view this condition as completely just and fair.

Imagine that…
:lmao:

Hey Mark,

Just got mostly all caught up. That is, I've read the chapter about the kids' trips, but am strapped for time (need to get to making flashcards for substance abuse medications and theories of depression and suicide) so couldn't really read the chatter before I sign off. Experiences FAR outweigh "stuff"; your parents ROCK!

Looking forward myself to our trip to Phantom in a couple weeks and dinner with my girls. That is what they'll remember decades from now, not the random junk that just gets lost along the way.

We visited the Space Center when our kids were VERY little and they definitely remember that even when they were only like 3 when we were there.

Sounds like a fun birthday trip you have planned! I hope you share some of it here - I mean, Earl of Sandwich in and of itself deserves a TR, right? ::yes:: I hope you have a great time after the month you've had. :goodvibes If only it were a week later, though, then I could meet you at Downtown Disney! So close! Oh, and happy birthday to Scotty! :bday:

So Scotty recently celebrated his 9th birthday.

So now you're the youngest (intellectually) in the family, huh?

Every year, my parents have been giving my kids a day trip as a birthday present,

That's both very nice and very generous.
The kids may not (or they may, I don't know them) understand it now, but they're getting something far more valuable than some "thing".

I went along as...um...security.

Oh, sure.
Of course.

<cough>

explored the fort and old historic town of St. Augustine, went to the Players Championship (a fairly major golf tournament) near Jacksonville for the 2nd round all day Friday (David got an autograph from Phil Mickelson and a signed glove from Matt Kuchar, among others), and explored the Kennedy Space Center on Saturday before returning to Orlando and spending the evening at Downtown Disney.

Sounds pretty good.

Naturally, I was forbidden by Julie to even think of entering a Disney Park or proceeding any further onto Disney Property than Downtown Disney, and even then my primary purpose there was only to buy gifts for those forced to stay home back in Delaware. This was seen as just and right by all of Julie's friends.

:laughing:
Funny how that works, isn't it?

to see the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena. She also got to explore the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Legoland California, the La Brea Tar Pits, and wound up the evening at Downtown Disney.

Equally nice.

I told them they were not allowed to enter Disneyland or California Adventure without the rest of us present. This was seen as horribly unfair and cruel by all of Julie's friends, because the only consistent part of these disputes between husbands and wives are the double standards involved.

I know, for most of you that sounds like one step removed from watching petrified wood form,

Oh, no. Not at all.
Watching petrified wood form is more entertaining.

But in pro sports, golf is actually one of the better spectator deals out there. For somewhere in the neighborhood of $50, you can see over 12 hours of competition. And you don't have to sit in the same place the whole time.

Actually, that is a pretty good deal.
I don't follow or watch it, but... $50 for all that is not too shabby.

He recorded a score of 66 for this one hole.

:eek: Holy cow!
Putted all the way around. :laughing: :sad2:

I'd like to see it again.
Last time I was there, they hadn't invented shuttles yet.
Plus all we did was drive through it.

I have been forbidden from proceeding any further into Disney property and under no circumstances am I to enter a Disney park without the rest of the family present. Julie and her friends view this condition as completely just and fair.

Be a rebel! Get a one day pass!

Scotty's birthday weekend sounds great and I am sure he will have a blast.

Thanks! I think he will.

I don't like it... but ok...

I could understand it. It's hard enough when a family member leaves to have fun without you. Seeing them in Disney World without you would really make it difficult. So I understood.

What goes around....

As I saw it...yup.

:sad2: Not cool. But I know exactly what you're talking about. :duck:

I think the argument was, "But when will we ever get the chance again?" Well, now you know...:rolleyes1

A chance? Singular? Can't you at least drop balls until you land one? The way I normally golf, I'd either put it about 3 feet from the hole, or I could empty a bucket of range balls just trying to keep one dry. There's no middle ground.

I'm sure you can get more shots if you're willing to pay for the chance. Brilliant business, actually, because you know that first shot is going in the drink.

That's... actually not that bad. I could do much worse.

It's 130 yards to the largest green on the course. How hard could this be?:confused3

Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!

I've never putted around a water hazard, but I did one time finish half the fairway on the 18th hole of a course in Gatlinburg with my putter after slicing a couple of balls in the pond along the side of the fairway and getting excessively overheated and P!$$#d off! I didn't come close to 66 strokes though. Sounds like I'm not even as good as I thought I was at sucking at golf.

That story was definitely a new level of underachievement. I would think most people would even get one to land on the green by luck eventually.

That should be awesome. It has been a long time since I've been to KSR. I don't know if you plan to do a TR or mini-TR, but I'd love to see it if you do. You know, both the KSR stuff and the golf part.

And any instances of Scotty being Scotty.

If I have time, I'll try and put up a few posts. It'll be tight between then and leaving for the big summer trip. But it's more fun than doing work.:thumbsup2

Julie needs new friends. :duck:

::yes::

Again, I'm on board with the "don't go to Disney without us" rule. Just don't complain when it doesn't work in your favor.

Sounds like good timing. Have a great time. Just be careful to not have so much fun that you might anger Julie and her friends. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

I'll just tell them all about the golf. Then they'll think it was nothing but torture.:thumbsup2

Oh, I guess I got things mixed up and I was thinking of the Masters Tournament one! sorry, it involved golf though...

That's ok. Sounds like you need to work harder at memorizing my various TR's. :rotfl2::rotfl:

And I have to say that I think that it is only just that no one goes to a Disney park without the rest of the family - that is until a kid is paying for their own ticket with money they earned from a job...

But I do have a very strict approach to what is fair, kind of comes with my job...

True!:lmao:

I thought it was fair as well...and fair for them not to enter DL with out me.

What a fantastic trip! I love that the kids get experiences instead of toys.

Me too! We have too much crap sitting around the house as it is.

Hmmmm...I may have to take a quick get-away to DTD if I get a chance to say hello since I'm there then. Sounds like a nice birthday trip for Scotty.

Oooh, I wasn't sure if you would still be around. I'd love to see you! We will be at DTD on the evening of Saturday, May 9. Not exactly sure what time yet. And my parents will be with me, so it might involve awkward explanations of where I know you from. They don't quite get the "online friend" thing. :rotfl2:

I'm with you on the experiences over material things, but you would never believe that if you saw our house. :rolleyes1

You too, huh? I've seen a couple of comments now...is the online shopping ramping up? :rotfl:

I think I would rather watch the Petrified Wood form than golf, but that's just me. :rotfl2:

I'm sure many here would agree with you! I get it. I refuse to watch soccer for the same reason.

Now the Kennedy Space Center! I'm all over THAT! I'd love to get back there again sometime.

Definitely worth the trip!

I'm going to get on your side and say that it was totally fair to demand that Julie and Sarah not step inside a park without you and the boys. Didn't it make last summer's trip all that more special, and that Drew was there with you too?

Absolutely! So much less jealousy and double standards involved, too. A win for everyone!:goodvibes

Sounds like a weekend that you will thoroughly enjoy!

I think so too!

And a belated Happy to Scotty

Thank you, sir!

You’ve mentioned these in the past.
Among the coolest gift giving policies I’ve ever encountered.
Bravo to them!

Agreed! Although I think they're starting to run out of ideas. We've covered most places that can be reached in a day trip from our house.

I said it before…
I’m certain that no one else in the house dropped any hints of any kind as to the destination that ought to be chosen.

Riiiiiight?

:rolleyes1

Yep… That should make for one fine expedition.
Again, I think it’s truly spectacular that y’all have been able to do these kinds of experiences for your young’ens (and finding way to tag along ain’t a bad bit of finagling either, might I add).

Thanks! This one is all due to my parents, though. I don't have anything to do with it other than mooching an extra seat on the ride.

Imagine that…

Oooh, I wasn't sure if you would still be around. I'd love to see you! We will be at DTD on the evening of Saturday, May 9. Not exactly sure what time yet. And my parents will be with me, so it might involve awkward explanations of where I know you from. They don't quite get the "online friend" thing. :rotfl2:

I'll PM you my phone number. You can text me when you get there. That is our Hollywood Studios day but it's my least favorite park so we may hit up DTD for some shopping that night. Tell them you met me through Barry. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Just got mostly all caught up. That is, I've read the chapter about the kids' trips, but am strapped for time (need to get to making flashcards for substance abuse medications and theories of depression and suicide) so couldn't really read the chatter before I sign off. Experiences FAR outweigh "stuff"; your parents ROCK!

I agree! They turned out to be pretty cool people for a couple that annoyed me so much when I was a teenager. :rotfl2:

Looking forward myself to our trip to Phantom in a couple weeks and dinner with my girls. That is what they'll remember decades from now, not the random junk that just gets lost along the way.

Exactly! That sounds like a fantastic getaway you have planned. The random crap eventually just breaks, anyway.

We visited the Space Center when our kids were VERY little and they definitely remember that even when they were only like 3 when we were there.

I will never forget seeing the space shuttle on the launch pad. That was really cool.

Sounds like a fun birthday trip you have planned! I hope you share some of it here - I mean, Earl of Sandwich in and of itself deserves a TR, right? ::yes:: I hope you have a great time after the month you've had. :goodvibes If only it were a week later, though, then I could meet you at Downtown Disney! So close! Oh, and happy birthday to Scotty! :bday:

Aw, man, it would have been cool to meet up! But yes, I'll try and share photos and stories if I have the time. Get ready for lots of exciting golf stories!:woohoo:

So now you're the youngest (intellectually) in the family, huh?

No, Baby Drew just turned 1 a couple of months ago, so...actually, I guess you're right.

That's both very nice and very generous.
The kids may not (or they may, I don't know them) understand it now, but they're getting something far more valuable than some "thing".

Agreed! I've given them the "experiences > things" speech many times, so they're probably sick of it by now. But I know they really love to travel, so something must have stuck.

Oh, sure.
Of course.

<cough>

"Security" sounds better than "mooch".

Sounds pretty good.

:thumbsup2

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Yeah. Hilarious.

Equally nice.

I thought so.

Oh, no. Not at all.
Watching petrified wood form is more entertaining.

You definitely have friends who agree here!

Actually, that is a pretty good deal.
I don't follow or watch it, but... $50 for all that is not too shabby.

When David went, he was really into it. He wouldn't let us leave until the last no-name golfer had finished his round. I'm glad he enjoyed it, though.

:eek: Holy cow!
Putted all the way around. :laughing: :sad2:

I know, right?? So desperate. They should have just given him the title on the spot.

I'd like to see it again.
Last time I was there, they hadn't invented shuttles yet.
Plus all we did was drive through it.

Sounds like it's time to schedule a trip!:thumbsup2

Be a rebel! Get a one day pass!

So tempting, just to start posting photos on her Facebook wall...:stir:

Exactly, one rule applies to everyone! :thumbsup2 That is what I meant...

Hooray! More votes for my side!:woohoo:

I'll PM you my phone number. You can text me when you get there. That is our Hollywood Studios day but it's my least favorite park so we may hit up DTD for some shopping that night. Tell them you met me through Barry. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sounds good! I'm still not good at the texting thing, though. We still have the same crappy phone we had when we met you in Chicago!

No, Baby Drew just turned 1 a couple of months ago, so...actually, I guess you're right.

"Security" sounds better than "mooch".

Yes it does.... LIES!!!!

Sounds like it's time to schedule a trip!:thumbsup2

Yeah, it's always time to schedule a trip... but it's lately it's straight to Disney, no looking left or right!

So tempting, just to start posting photos on her Facebook wall...:stir:

:laughing: I can just see that. "Castle picture? I wonder how that could have gotten there! :rolleyes1"

The birthday trip sounds great. I agree with others, it's something they'll be able to treasure forever. Even if it does involve golf museums and exciting things like that.

Yes it does.... LIES!!!!

First Rule of Trip Reporting: When in doubt, just make @$#% up.:thumbsup2

Yeah, it's always time to schedule a trip... but it's lately it's straight to Disney, no looking left or right!

Well, it's hard to say no to the Mouse.

:laughing: I can just see that. "Castle picture? I wonder how that could have gotten there! :rolleyes1"

:rotfl2: Wish you were here! I'd stay and chat but I have a FP for Space Mountain...

The birthday trip sounds great. I agree with others, it's something they'll be able to treasure forever. Even if it does involve golf museums and exciting things like that.

It's almost like you're all saying he should enjoy it in spite of the golf stuff, but that can't be right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter