The Drinker and Dessert Fiend are Back - Completed 6/26!

Love the way the table was set up in your room and you were even provided with salt, pepper and ketchup! It's a shame the food wasn't outstanding but what a view to have whilst eating breakfast :thumbsup2

I think I def want to try a Frunch, but I don't think I would go back for a regular ADR. If you want a better atmosphere, the Swalphin signatures are probably the best bet. Although the less popular Disney signatures can be quite nice. I'm a big Citricos fan myself.

Citricos is one of our favorites as well as Il Mulino & BlueZoo. Bistro has always intrigued me. I'm hoping we can book a Frunch in October.;)

Our ressies were for 8:30 on a Friday night (12/03/2010) the week after Thanksgiving. Don't know if that made a difference but we will definately go back.

Thank you, looks like later is the way to go!

Excellent reviews! Looking forward to more. :goodvibes

Thank you for reading. :)

Love the way the table was set up in your room and you were even provided with salt, pepper and ketchup! It's a shame the food wasn't outstanding but what a view to have whilst eating breakfast :thumbsup2

I forgot to mention there was butter and jam as well! The view makes the food taste better. :laughing:

Citricos is one of our favorites as well as Il Mulino & BlueZoo. Bistro has always intrigued me. I'm hoping we can book a Frunch in October.;)

I really want to try Il Mulino! I made it to bluezoo and liked that a lot, the review is coming in this series, in fact.

If I get the dates I want for F & W (Oct 24-28) then we should overlap! Maybe we could book a Frunch together. :) Make it a Friendie Frunch. :laughing:

Thanks for the updates, our son loved the room service when we stayed at AKL (eating breakfast and watching the zebras and giraffe running around.

Thanks for sharing this review! I'm fairly hesitant as well to eat there, but the way I look at it, if BdP isn't perfect, there is always V&A's... :goodvibes

That lamb looks amazing, my DH will be super excited to know he can order meat rare. His biggest pet peeve in a restaurant is when this happens:

Server: How would you like your steak cooked, sir?
DH: Medium Rare, please.
Server: I'm sorry sir, we only serve our meat medium or above.
DH: Then why did you ask me????

God help us when he tries to order a burger!!!

:lmao:

popcorn:: joining in popcorn::

Welcome to my DR!

Thanks for the updates, our son loved the room service when we stayed at AKL (eating breakfast and watching the zebras and giraffe running around.

AKL is definitely the best place to get room service!

Thanks for sharing this review! I'm fairly hesitant as well to eat there, but the way I look at it, if BdP isn't perfect, there is always V&A's... :goodvibes

That lamb looks amazing, my DH will be super excited to know he can order meat rare. His biggest pet peeve in a restaurant is when this happens:

Server: How would you like your steak cooked, sir?
DH: Medium Rare, please.
Server: I'm sorry sir, we only serve our meat medium or above.
DH: Then why did you ask me????

God help us when he tries to order a burger!!!

:lmao:

I want to try V & A so bad! But it's hard to budget for it...I could eat 2-3 meals at a signature for the cost of one of those and I haven't been able to bring myself to decide I will eat at CS for dinner 3 nights in order to have 1 at V & A! I'm sure it's worth it...just haven't been able to do it yet.

Oh I hate places that will only cook medium and up. Although I figure if they're so worried about someone getting sick, then the meat can't be good quality to begin with.

After a morning in AK, we chanced a walk-up at Yak & Yeti and were seated immediately. :) We had been here the year before and loved it so we were excited to eat here again.

We were seated upstairs at the exact same table as the year before! :laughing:

I pretty much knew what I was ordering before we sat down. I had to start with a side order portion of the Wok Fried Green Beans with Sweet Thai Chile Dipping Sauce:
DSCN2205Medium.jpg

These were just as good as I had remembered. A crispy fried shell surrounding still slightly crunchy green beans. Dipped in the sweet chile sauce....whoever had the idea of frying veggies is a genius. :rotfl: This dish comes in two sizes - the portion listed on the appetizer menu is larger and more expensive. I got the side dish portion since Mark didn't want to share.

It was quite cold out that day, so I had a cup of the Monk's Blend Tea:
DSCN2206Medium.jpg

This was just a basic black tea, served in a single bag with a pot of hot water. For some reason I was expecting a pot with loose leaves like you get at most Asian restaurants so this was somewhat disappointing and extremely overpriced at $4!

For an entree, Mark chose the Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp - skirt steak, tempura-battered shrimp, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables, chili plum dipping sauce:
DSCN2208Medium.jpg

I didn't try any of this, but Mark sure liked it. It was a LOT of food, I think two people could easily share this. Mark couldn't finish it and he's usually a big eater.

I went with the Malaysian Seafood Curry - Mahi Mahi, scallops, little neck clams, mussels, shrimp, zucchini, roma tomatoes, red curry coconut broth, and jasmine rice
DSCN2209Medium.jpg

I had tasted this dish once before and had to get it again! The curry sauce is a medium-low spice level and has really great, complex curry flavors. The coconut milk makes it a bit sweet. The rice was perfectly cooked, neither hard nor gummy, and the seafood was all delicious as well. Nothing was overcooked and the curry sauce was so good on all of it. I ripped up some of the cilantro garnish and squeezed the lime wedges over the dish. :love: It's one of favorite things at Disney! This is also a really huge portion that to could easily share. I barely made a dent in it but it felt like I ate an ox!

I've been to Yak & Yeti four times and now it will definitely stay on my restaurant rotation list. :thumbsup2 I just won't be ordering any tea there again.

Grade: A

Thanks for another yummy update!

Yak and Yeti is one of our favourites as well and you are so right, whoever came up with the idea of deepfrying veggies must have been a genius! The green beans are just devine! :thumbsup2

I've had the steak and shrimp before and loved it, but found that the portion was really generous and too much for me.
Your stew looks amazing - I need to show that photo to Tom, I am sure he would LOVE that! :love:

Great tip about sharing the steak & shrimp- my boys could easily split that! And your curry looked delicious- thanks for another great review! :thumbsup2

I love Y&Y! We never get there often enough because we rarely get to AK but I think I am going to book it for our last day in Oct since we will save AK for that...might be the perfect lunch to end our trip on..and then hit the road to go home :sad1:

Another great update!! :thumbsup2

Am so glad I have eaten before coming on these boards today as otherwise my stomach would be rumbling by now!

Them fried veggies look good - am also glad someone thought of this idea! Your right in that the tea does not look that appetizing but wow on the main courses! They both look delish and good sized portions! I'm regretting not making a reservation for Yak n Yeti.

I cannot WAIT to try Yak and Yeti in August!!! I really want to try the steak and shrimp or the lo mein. I've heard great things about the mahi mahi as well...oh decisions...:rotfl:

After a day at AK, we went back to the room for while and got cleaned up for dinner at California Grill. This was Mark's favorite restaurant from our previous trip, and it was the one place he requested we get an ADR for.

I had been previously been four times, but left a little underwhelmed from the last visit, so I will admit I wasn't terribly excited to return to time.

We arrived a bit earlier for our 7:25 ADR, so we took a seat in the lounge area and order drinks.

Mark had a glass of Montecillo Gran Reserva Rioja, while I went with the Twisted Mai Tai - Mt Gay Rum, Creme de Noyaux, OJ, Pineapple Juice, and a splash of Lime.
DSCN2215Medium.jpg

The Mai Tai was really great - fruity, refreshing, and not overwhelmingly sweet.

We had only made it halfway through or drinks when our buzzer rang for our table. We were led to one of the window side tables with a great view of the Seven Seas Lagoon. Our server for the evening, Jenny O., promptly greeted us and was super attentive to us all evening. I highly recommend requesting her.

Mark and I decided to share two appetizers. I knew I had to have one of the famous flatbreads, so we agreed on the Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Cambozola Blue Cheese, Mushroom Cream, Horseradish, and Tempura Shallots:
DSCN2218Medium.jpg

This was really outstanding. I love CG's thin cripsy flatbread crust. The steak was tender and the pairing with the mushroom cream, blue cheese, horseradish and cripsy shallots made for a perfect earthy, winter-themed flatbread. And Mark doesn't like shallots, so I got all the crispy pieces to myself! :thumbsup2

We also split the Hearts of Romaine Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing, Marinated Anchovies, Olives, Aged Parmesan, and Croutons.
DSCN2219Medium.jpg

Jenny was kind enough to have the salad pre-split for us, so I think this would be a pretty large serving for one person. It was a great, basic Ceasar salad. Nothing creative, but it was delicious.

Jenny brought us a basket of CG's house made sourdough bread, served with butter sprinkled with sea salt, as we ate our appetizers.
DSCN2220Medium.jpg

I love CG's bread. It has thick, hard and crunchy crust with a soft yet dense, pillowy inside. I am a carboholic, so good bread is a must for me, and this really hits the spot.

For entrees, Mark knew what he was ordered long before we got to CG. He had eaten their signature steak last year and loved it, so he ordered it again this year - The Oak Fired Filet of Beef, Dauphinoise Potatoes, with Smoked Bacon, Ginger-Scented Carrots, and Terriyaki BBQ Sauce:
DSCN2221Medium.jpg

As before, Mark loved and devoured all of the meat on this dish. He ate most of the potatoes, and even some of the carrots for once! He says CG's filet is one of his top five favorite steaks.

I had a hard time deciding, but finally settled on the Pan Seared Florida Red Snapper with Roasted Fig Risotto, Forest Mushrooms, and a Pinot Noir Reduction:
DSCN2222Medium.jpg

This was, simply put, amazing. It was quite a large snapper filet, perfectly pan seared with a crispy crust and soft, flaky, tender fish meat. The risotto was slightly sweet, earthy, and the symphony of flavors from the fish, risotto, or pinot noir reduction was absolute heaven for my taste buds.

Mark and I were having a wonderful time and didn't want to leave without dessert, but we were so full, so we decided to skip dessert for the time being and after we settled our check with Jenny, found a seat in the lounge area again to wait for Wishes to start.

Mark had another glass of Rioja while I went for a cappucino. While were sipping our drinks, some seats opened up right next to the window about a half hour before Wishes was to begin. :thumbsup2 We moved over and then finally decided we could bear the thought of more eating and ordered dessert.

Mark chose the Pumpkin Cheesecake with Cranberry and Cherry Sauce, White Chocolate Cookie Bars, and Gingersnap:
DSCN2224Medium.jpg

I tried a bite of this and it was super light for cheesecake. I had a lovely pumpkin flavor and went really well with the gingersnap crumbles. The cookies bars were delicious as well.

I chose my old standby: Valrhona Molten Chocolate Cake
DSCN2225Medium.jpg

This is a signature dessert at CG, and they change the ice cream and sauce pairings with the season. The pairing for that evening was eggnog ice cream, and I hate eggnog, so I requested something different. They had vanilla ice cream, so I got that and some peppermint bark with my cake.

The cake was wonderful, as usual, and it was a nice and simple pairing with the vanilla ice cream. I loved the peppermint bark as well.

Just as we were finishing dessert, Wishes started. We had fantastic seats so we didn't need to go outside on the observation deck.

It was a really wonderful evening. We were there almost three hours!

California Grill really proved itself to me again. Everything was absolutely perfect and I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant!

Grade: A+!!!!

Your review of CG is seriously making me rethink our ADRs, I have been hesitant to try it but you literally have my mouth watering that I think we might have to try it on our adult only trip in July.

California Grill! ... :cloud9: ... don't get me started! :laughing:

Your meal looks soooooooooo good! We had the same flatbread too and it was delish! I wasn't sure about the flavour combination at first, but it really works well together.

Your snapper looks right up Tom's street! :thumbsup2 ...... and I would not mind it either! ;)

As for dessert - that cheesecake looks amazing. The presentation is wonderful and your description of it makes me want some right now. And don't even remind me of the sinful Valhrona cake! :love: Can you believe I picked something else last trip? ............ and I even liked it just as much! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the review, Abby! They always take me back to my happy place! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter