The Disney Visa Card - worth the investment?

Em's GiGi

Mouseketeer
Does the Disney Visa credit card yield any good deals for rooms/packages for Disney? It has an annual fee which I usually avoid, but if it actually offers any good deals it would be worth it.

Any one have any experience with this and what is your advice?

Does the Disney Visa credit card yield any good deals for rooms/packages for Disney? It has an annual fee which I usually avoid, but if it actually offers any good deals it would be worth it.

Any one have any experience with this and what is your advice?
There is a free regular card with them. It gives you early access to the general public deals, 0% financing on disney trips, rewards on your charges that can be used anywhere in disney and great photo ops and free pictures. The premier card gives you 2% back but costs $49. We just got the new premier because also gave us $200 credit.

I have the regular (no fee) Visa card and you usually get early access to the discounts that come out, as well as, charge rewards. I usually go down with about $100 in rewards every year (especially if you charge your vacation to that card). Pays for miscellaneous "fun" things! :)

There is a free regular card with them. It gives you early access to the general public deals, 0% financing on disney trips, rewards on your charges that can be used anywhere in disney and great photo ops and free pictures. The premier card gives you 2% back but costs $49. We just got the new premier because also gave us $200 credit.

Just wanted to mention that the 0% financing is for 6 months and only applies to packages.

I got the fee free Disney Visa card last year to have one more way of getting room only discounts. I didn't like the fact that I had to call to ask about discounts and make reservations. I have yet to be notified that room discounts were available. I did make two reservations using the card last year, but ended up cancelling both reservations due to getting much better prices with Orbitz. I also have another spectacular discount for November 2016 through an agency which can't be named.

We are AP holders so we use that for discounts when possible for food or merchandise. I get points on my other visa credit card that I use regularly. I periodically redeem those points for cash or an account credit, so the Disney Visa is pretty much useless to me. I'm not interested in building up points that I can only use at Disney.

Last edited:
I signed up for it this past year mostly for the initial sign up rewards ($250 on a Disney Gift Card). the fee free card is only 1% rewards which isn't that great. We'll see how the photo op areas are this year and decide if we want to keep it or not. We were already getting room discount pin codes in the mail prior to getting the card.

I have the regular (no fee) Visa card and you usually get early access to the discounts that come out, as well as, charge rewards. I usually go down with about $100 in rewards every year (especially if you charge your vacation to that card). Pays for miscellaneous "fun" things! :)

How do you find out about the discounts? I didn't know about the Villas discount that just ended until I read about it on MS weeks after it began. Since it ended yesterday, I called this morning to see if there was a new one out and was told not yet, probably another month. Do you just keep calling?

We constantly would get offers in the mail for the Disney Visa. Last August once we decided we were going we decided to get the card. We got the basic one with no fee, but were given a reward of a $200 Disney gift card once we spent X amount (I don't remember the amount but wasn't much, maybe $500) over 3 months. Since then we've been putting pretty much all our spending on the card and as of now have around another $200 in rewards. I estimate we should have close to $400 for a redemption card by the time we go. So all in all approximately $600 in free money to spend at Disney. And we do pay the card off each month.

I started out with the free one. Then I started charging everything every month and went to Disney last year with $300 in rewards, which I realized that if I had the premier, it would have been more like $500, so I would have easily made up the $49. So I just applied for and got the premier, and they gave me a $200 statement credit for opening it. So I figure, they paid my annual fee for the next 4 years. If you just start charging everything and paying it off every month, it can really add up. I charge my gas, groceries, car insurance, cell phone bill, mortgage ( not all will let you), and just about everything we spend money on during the month.

I started out with the free one. Then I started charging everything every month and went to Disney last year with $300 in rewards, which I realized that if I had the premier, it would have been more like $500, so I would have easily made up the $49. So I just applied for and got the premier, and they gave me a $200 statement credit for opening it. So I figure, they paid my annual fee for the next 4 years. If you just start charging everything and paying it off every month, it can really add up. I charge my gas, groceries, car insurance, cell phone bill, mortgage ( not all will let you), and just about everything we spend money on during the month.

This is a good point. I am going to look into getting the Premier.

I got the card so that I could get the 0% interest for 6 months. No paying a little along, though. You pay the $200 deposit on the vacation pkg and get 6 months on that. Then you pay your balance in full at 30 days (used to be 45 but I've read that it's now 30) and get 6 months on that.

My husband just got approved for the no annual fee card and we received it in the mail yesterday. How did you get a free gift card?!

Ours was an incentive as part of the mailer we received from Disney Visa. We received an offer in the mail with an application and a code (so we could apply on line) and the $200 gift card after so much spent was part of the deal for signing up for the card. I think if you just go to the Disney Visa site and apply on your own that incentive isn't offered.

Ours was an incentive as part of the mailer we received from Disney Visa. We received an offer in the mail with an application and a code (so we could apply on line) and the $200 gift card after so much spent was part of the deal for signing up for the card. I think if you just go to the Disney Visa site and apply on your own that incentive isn't offered.
Thanks for the response. Guess I missed the boat on that :(

This is a good point. I am going to look into getting the Premier.

I got the card so that I could get the 0% interest for 6 months. No paying a little along, though. You pay the $200 deposit on the vacation pkg and get 6 months on that. Then you pay your balance in full at 30 days (used to be 45 but I've read that it's now 30) and get 6 months on that.
And if you get the $200 bonus... Your down payment is FREE!

***found the answer from previous post.**** don't mind me...

Last edited:
As mentioned, you get the luxury of booking special discounts a few days before the general public which is the primary reason I got this card. I've used this feature numerous times over the years, but it's hit n miss if they let you know of the deals ahead of time (like they're supposed to). Summer discounts have been out for quite sometime and I have yet to receive any notice from Visa. Very frustrating to say the least. Thank God for the Disboards or I would miss a lot of the discounts.

Also-I have the free card. There's no way I'm paying to have a credit card.

I have both the Disney card and the Southwest card. I use them based on who's giving me what. I currently have enough SWA points to fly my extended family, 7 of us, to Disney for free. Now I am going to upgrade my Disney Visa to the premier card & get double points on grocery, gas & restaurant purchases and the cost of the trip plus the 6 month interest free option. My goal is free flight, free food and maybe $500 in free spending money. Oh and DD works for Universal and Sea World so we have free tickets to both too. God I love free!!!

Using the card with no fee exclusively for a year and a half we will have almost $900 to put towards our vacation in October. I think that is worth it! Plus you get to show your love for Disney to everyone that you purchase from. I love the Disney themed cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter