The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange tipping question~
We are eating at 1900 and we are having a large cake delivered to our table. The cost of the cake is $140.
I spoke with the bakery and they explained that we would be charged at 1900 so we can pay for tipping.

SOOOOOOO a tip for a $140 cake would be $30 on top of the $30 tip for the meal... $60 tip total seems a bit steep and I am usually a great tipper. Does anyone know if the server gets this tip due to her bringing the cake out or does the bakery get the tip? I have no problem with tipping 20% to the person who made the cake but I have issue with a server ..who will only bring the cake from the kitchen to our table $30 to do so.

So what would you do?! Should I pay the $60 tip and stop whining or is there a different rate for items like this?
Thanks!

Probably the only way to know for sure who is getting the tip is to call the bakery back and ask them directly. Let them know that you want to make sure that some of the tip gets to the baker and delivery driver, and ask them how to assure that.

It's a very interesting question, I can't wait to hear how this works out. Please be sure to post back here about what they say.

What have you found is the easiest and quickest way to pay for tip and any extras on the new DDP? Do you use cash, charge it to the room, or use a credit/debit card? This will be our first trip since they've changed the dinning plan.

What have you found is the easiest and quickest way to pay for tip and any extras on the new DDP? Do you use cash, charge it to the room, or use a credit/debit card? This will be our first trip since they've changed the dinning plan.

We used cash 3 trips ago...found that to be a major hassle always making sure we had correct bills on hand. September 2008 (free dining), January 2009 (deluxe dine) and May 2009 (regular dining) we just put it on the room charge...way more convenient. We did check the room bill 24 hours before check out to make sure there were no incorrect charges...all was good.

Since there is only two of us, I usually pay cash. I just bring a $10, $5, and 5 $1, to every meal. Then I can leave the 18%-20% and not have to wait for change.

I don't charge anything to the room. I'm always afraid that they will charge the entire meal to my room and not take it off the dinning plan.

We recently got back and just charged it to our room. You have to sign off twice either way and this way you only give them one card. For us it was just easier.

I apologize in advance, because I'm sure there are alot of questions similar to mine.

When I make ADR's, they will be for 8 people. From what I understand when we get our bill there will be a 18% tip automatically added. There will be 3 families all on the DxDP, so I assume there will be 3 separate bills.....so do they just add 18% on each bill, or are we expected to figure it out ourselves?

We are going in August during Free Dining and wondering if i can use my Rewards card to pay any OOP expenses and to leave a tip?

We used cash 3 trips ago...found that to be a major hassle always making sure we had correct bills on hand. September 2008 (free dining), January 2009 (deluxe dine) and May 2009 (regular dining) we just put it on the room charge...way more convenient. We did check the room bill 24 hours before check out to make sure there were no incorrect charges...all was good.

This is great to know, I was planning on using cash but this way sounds so much easier and I am all about convenience.

Yes, you can use your Disney rewards for tipping, that is exactly what I plan on doing during our August trip :)

Thanks so much I guess when the bill comes I just hand them the rewards card or am I better of charging to my room and the going to the fron desk before check out with it?

I have decided to not have my credit card connected to my room key. I do not want any unexpected charges at the end of my vacation as I have heard happen to others. I am just handing them my rewards card at the end of each meal so I can double check to make sure all is in order before leaving the restaurant.

I'm curious about tipping for the buffet meals? Is it still the normal 15% or so, or can you get by with less since they really are doing a lot less? I know if I go to say Ryan's or somewhere, I don't tip them 15%, it's usually just a couple of dollars. How does it work at Disney?

I'm curious about tipping for the buffet meals? Is it still the normal 15% or so, or can you get by with less since they really are doing a lot less? I know if I go to say Ryan's or somewhere, I don't tip them 15%, it's usually just a couple of dollars. How does it work at Disney?

What you tip is entirely up to you unless you are a party of 6 or more OR if you are using the Tables in Wonderland Discount card. If you are either one of those, then you will have an automatic gratuity of 18% added to your bill at all TS locations (including buffets)

If you are party of 5 or less who is not using the Tables in Wonderland Discount, then you are free to tip at your discretion. When you receive your bill they will have printed out what an 18% gratuity and what a 20% gratuity would be for that meal. However, you are free to tip more or less as you see fit.

Here is how we handle it, I am a cash only person so after making my ADR's I sat down and figured out the approx tip we would need to leave at each TS dinner. This I based on looking at menu's online or to my surprise many were either buffet or fixed price TS. Then I decorated envelopes for each TS restaurant and will put the cash in before we leave. I will take the proper envelope to the dinner and providing I have guessed correctly seal the flap before leaving the table.

This way I keep the money for tips separate from spending cash and I like to think the server will like the extra effort.

We are going to WDW in September and got the free dining package. We have 5 sit down meals...3 with 7 people, and 2 with 9 people.

I have read the dining package does not include tip. How do they calculate the 18% tip? Is it based off what the meal would have cost if we were paying for it? If we go to Coral Reef as an example, and the bill would have been $400, are we going to have to pay a $72 tip no matter what?

When you dine in groups with 6 or more people, an 18% gratuity is added to your bill. It is based on what the meal would actually cost if you were paying for it OOP. In this case because you are using the DDP, you will be billed for the tip...meaning you will have to pay it. You can use cash/credit or your room key if you have authorized it for your credit card.
Something that alot of people forget is money for tips when using the dining plan. We're going in September for 8 days and we have budgeted $450 for tips. We are using the DxDDP for 4 people.
A good way to budget for your tips is to go to allears.net. They have sample menus and prices, so you will have some idea of what it will cost.
Good luck.

Hi,
Do you charge your tips to your KTTW card or pay cash,
i have read lots of story's about people using cash and then finding that the tip has also been charged on there card as well, so is it best to charge then it cut's out any uncertainty.

Hi,
Do you charge your tips to your KTTW card or pay cash,
i have read lots of story's about people using cash and then finding that the tip has also been charged on there card as well, so is it best to charge then it cut's out any uncertainty.

We have had problems with being charged for meals as well as credits:scared1:, tips coming off twice, etc.

What we do now, is pay cash for tips, and we give one of our kid's KTTW cards for them to do the dining plan. We set up our kid's cards so they have no charging privledges... they can use the cards t0 take the credits off - but they can't charge any money to the card:thumbsup2

If you are travelling with kids - this would be my advice to you!

I have my mousekeeping envelopes printed and ready to fill! Since there are 3 of us in the room I'm putting $3 a day (that's right - right?). Anyway... I would LOVE to fill my TS envelopes too but I'm not sure how much to put in them b/c we are 1) going for Free Dining and 2) I have no idea how much things cost.
Any suggestions? or should I just use my Key to the World card and charge it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter