The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the TiW (formerly DDE) is your choice. However, it is what it is. There is an automatic gratuity added. It is your choice to use or not use, but the amount of the gratuity built in does not fluctuate.

Unless there is bad service (versus your perception of lack of service, you can contact the manager. But the TiW gratuity is not flexible and is part of the program when the TiW card is purchased, you agree to the terms)

Sorry!

When I bought the DDE card the 18% gratuity was not imposed - it was imposed some months after I got it - I think this is the fact that upsets people. Can you refuse to pay the gratuity if you bought the card before these terms and conditions were imposed.

doubt it, once the change was made the change was made to the program.

When I bought the DDE card the 18% gratuity was not imposed - it was imposed some months after I got it - I think this is the fact that upsets people. Can you refuse to pay the gratuity if you bought the card before these terms and conditions were imposed.

No. It is an automatic gratuity. You will be billed that gratuity and it can only be reduced by a manager. I doubt a manager will agree to reduce it because you think it's too much to tip a bartender, but if you have issues with bad service they might.

The remedy is to not use the DDE/TIW card for drinks, then you can tip as you see fit.

No. It is an automatic gratuity. You will be billed that gratuity and it can only be reduced by a manager. I doubt a manager will agree to reduce it because you think it's too much to tip a bartender, but if you have issues with bad service they might.

The remedy is to not use the DDE/TIW card for drinks, then you can tip as you see fit.

Yes I understand that but when we bought the card there wasn't an automatic gratuity - it is the fact that the terms and conditions have changed since we bought it which makes me question the imposition.

Yes I understand that but when we bought the card there wasn't an automatic gratuity - it is the fact that the terms and conditions have changed since we bought it which makes me question the imposition.

they cover that in the caveat subject to change has them covered

sorry!

If 5 of my friends have one $12.00 drink that would cost $60.00 PLUS $10.80 tip. Now if my friends double those drinks to 2 drinks each, the tip would DOUBLE to approximately $22.00. This is simply outrageous.
But it's not costing $60 plus $10.80 tip. Using Tricia1972's example:

Five drinks @ $12 each = $60
$60 drinks
$5 tip
$3.90 tax
$68.90 - no T-Dub* card

Five drinks @ $12 each = $60
$60 drinks
$10.80 tip
$3.12 tax
-$12.00 T-Dub discount
$61.92 - drinks with the card

So you may be tipping more than you would ordinarily, but overall you're paying less using the Tables in Wonderland discount (does not apply to people who were not going to tip the bartender at all).

*so nicknamed by a Le Cellier Manager, "T" = Tables, "Dub" = the W in Wonderland

how do you pay for it?

This seems like a silly question, but if you use the DP how do you pay for the tip? Can you use a credit card or gift card? It would seem that maybe you couldn't because then they would have to run it for $0 so you can add a tip? Do you have to use cash or Disney Dollars? Just want to have it figured out so we know how much cash we need to have on hand. Thanks!!

Went twice in this year, in June we took cash and paid for the tip plus any extras like an app. or beer. In Sept. We charged the tip and extras back to the room with the room key and paid off some with our Disney rewards. Seamed like more paperwork with paying cash but didn't have to worry about building up a big bill before you leave. I don't see why you couldn't use a credit card in the restaurant to pay the tip you will know the total bill on the first slip they bring to the table then the CM takes it back and 0 it out for the DDP.

We charged ours to our room key for all of our meals but one (that one we paid cash). We just paid off our charge card when we got home and we didn't have to carry as much cash. It's really what you prefer and is easier for you.

I'm sorry, but the tipping thread is too long for me to read.

My dh and I are taking our children to the World in December as soon as the college-age kids get out for Christmas (mid month). We will be on the DxDDP and have ADRs for several table service meals for the entire family to eat together.

I know that there is a mandatory 18% tip for us since we are a party of 7.

How does the tip get charged? Can I pay cash? Is it better to allow charges to the room and put all tips on the room instead?

I've read a couple of threads where people said that CMs accidentally charged meals to the room instead of taking out meal credits. That mistake wouldn't happen if you don't allow room charges, right? But then you're stuck dealing with cash or another form of payment, aren't you?

On another note, how do you deal with mediocre service when you have a required amount? If we have truly BAD service at a restaurant, we complain to the manager. What do you do when the service doesn't warrant an "average" tip, but isn't so bad that you feel like complaining?

Or should I just assume that a large party with food allergies will get a more experience server and all our experiences will be great?!?:thumbsup2

We charged 85% of them to our room key and the other 15% we paid cash for (and that was only because that morning I forgot to put cash in my purse).

I'm sorry, but the tipping thread is too long for me to read.

My dh and I are taking our children to the World in December as soon as the college-age kids get out for Christmas (mid month). We will be on the DxDDP and have ADRs for several table service meals for the entire family to eat together.

I know that there is a mandatory 18% tip for us since we are a party of 7.

How does the tip get charged? Can I pay cash? Is it better to allow charges to the room and put all tips on the room instead?

I've read a couple of threads where people said that CMs accidentally charged meals to the room instead of taking out meal credits. That mistake wouldn't happen if you don't allow room charges, right? But then you're stuck dealing with cash or another form of payment, aren't you?

On another note, how do you deal with mediocre service when you have a required amount? If we have truly BAD service at a restaurant, we complain to the manager. What do you do when the service doesn't warrant an "average" tip, but isn't so bad that you feel like complaining?

Or should I just assume that a large party with food allergies will get a more experience server and all our experiences will be great?!?

The tip will be part of your bill and will show in your total due. There will be an open line to write an additional amount for any additional Tip that you want to give.

$100 - Food
$6.50 - Tax
$18.00 - Gratuity
$124.50 - Balance due

________ Tip

________ Total Due

(Assuming you don't want to tip extra) I would draw a dash in the Tip Amount and write $18.00 as my Total Due. Give that to your server with your room key. Ask for the meal entitlements to be used for the meal and charge the $18.00 to your room.

Any adjustment to the tip amount will need to be addressed with management - even if you just feel that the service is average. This is because the gratuity is part of your bill - not something that you're adding to the bill.

If you want to pay cash for the tip and have no charging to your room - handle as above, give the server your key and cash to cover the amount due ($18.00 in this example).

Same for Credit Card or gift certificate.

We just got back from Disney Saturday night after a week stay. It was a great trip, but there is one major problem that we had with the DDP that we wanted to alert others about - We told each server that we would be paying cash for our tip and drinks, and despite telling them, since we had more the six, and they did an automatic tip, they also charged our room on two occasions, so they received double payment. :scared1: Luckily, we went down each night an got a print out of our DDP amd our room charges to verify them, so we caught it immediately both times. Both California Grill and Mama Melrose did this. We informed the CM at OKW and they reversed the charges both times, but it certainly makes you wonder how many people this happened to with put them knowing.

I just wanted to warn other people to keep on top of their charges and monitor them closely.

I don't know if the waitstaff was getting confused since we used both the DDP and DDE (aka Tables in Wonderland) and we ended up with 4-6 receipts at every meal, but the majority of the resteraunts had no problems with it.

Despite those problems, we did end up saving mony by using the DDP, so overall we were happy with it.

When we went in June we were scared of something like this happening because we wanted to pay the tips OOP. So on our room key or DDP card we didn't put on charging privileges so they couldn't charge anything back to the room.

When we went in June we were scared of something like this happening because we wanted to pay the tips OOP. So on our room key or DDP card we didn't put on charging privileges so they couldn't charge anything back to the room.

This is exactly what we do when we use the DDP. We have had our room card charged too many times and had to fix them at the front desk.

This is what we fo as well. But for those who do want charging priviledges, you can use your child's card to deduct credits or only put charging on one adult card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter