• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DIS Dad's Club XII: Oh... There You Are Perry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two good things happened: I get to go home from Washington state today!! Back on the East coast after a brief stop at Chicago Midway Airport, and I ordered my graduation ears for completing my College of Disney Knowledge. I am now trained for Disney Cert. Travel Agent.:cool1:

Now all I need are some customers....:rotfl2:

Matt

Congratulations! Nice work! :thumbsup2

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! Get a facebook, start posting and the clients will come your way. You will be amazed at how many friends were thinking Disney and just too scared to do it themselves.

You must have better friends than I do. :confused3 :rotfl:

Two good things happened: I get to go home from Washington state today!! Back on the East coast after a brief stop at Chicago Midway Airport, and I ordered my graduation ears for completing my College of Disney Knowledge. I am now trained for Disney Cert. Travel Agent.:cool1:

Matt

Congratulations, now it is fun.

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! Get a facebook, start posting and the clients will come your way. You will be amazed at how many friends were thinking Disney and just too scared to do it themselves.

Any questions, this fellow Graduate will be happy to help you out!

I wish it was that easy for me. i have helped a lot of friends they just never wind up going to WDW.

Congratulations! Nice work! :thumbsup2

You must have better friends than I do. :confused3 :rotfl:

I agree, I am in the same boat. Of course all of my friends think that I am crazy for going to Disney all of the time, but what do you do? They just don't know what they are missing.

Wow. What a week. I have a lot of pages to catch up on. Things are hectic. Busy at work, Trying to refinance our house, Became our cub scout Cubmaster on Saturday, had a pack meeting on Monday, Fire department meeting on Wednesday, Den meeting last night. We are trying to get our packs treasury straightened out and we start popcorn sales tomorrow. AHHH I need a Disney break

1lg035faint.gif

Can't believe it took me this long to find you !

I am from Southern NB, Canada, and have a DW, DS (17) and a DD (12).

We are going next Sunday. :cool1: I am the planner in the family and this is our 4th trip. We've done Christmas :santa: (my favourite), Summer (HOT) and early fall (still Hot).

My son is a horror show freak. I thought aboyt taking him too MNSSHP (done that b4 as well), but somehow he found out about HHN. Guess where we are going? ;)

He's graduatung, I am 40 and feel 60 (darn arthritis). Love to golf, but only get out occassionally. Daughter is in that " Daddy can I have..." stage. (I will resist, I will resist, I will resist..I never resist ) Easier toi give in then deal with demon daughter. :littleangel:

Hope to be able to join the club!

Chris

Good Morning!

GLAD TO HEAR IT WENT WELL!

My hearing may be affected, but not my eyesight!! :rotfl2: Thanks!

April 3, 2012 will be Jodi's and mine 35th anniversary, and to celebrate we are going on a seven day Caribbean Cruise... So, being the good DH I am, when She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed said Holland, Holland it is. :)

I can't disagree with that! We can see how you made it 35 years!

:thumbsup2 she got a call this afternoon from the doc... they all feel its from the radiation treatment and the inflamation should go away on its own in time... ive never seen so many young kids with white canes as i did wednesday at wills eye hospital.:sad1: i have a hard time watching little kids stuggle with health problems.

That's great news! Let's hope that's how it goes. I am sad just hearing you tell about seeing those kids.

Ok, so we just moved to a new city and state. My son and I were involved in Cub Scouts last year (Tiger/Bobcat) and I was Asst. Den Leader. Almost all Dad led...camping, woodworking, carpentry etc.
At his new school/pack/den..it seems to be all mom led??? I went to the first den mtg...we wore our uniforms as we were used to. It was about 6 moms and a couple of high schools girls leading the den mtg of about 12 boys. We were the only ones in scout apparel. There did not seem to be much personal interaction with the boys, just rotating them through stations to "accomplish" activities. I tried to hang back (to see how they did things/ don't want to step on any toes).
I was very disappointed....not with the moms, I'm glad they were leading. Where are the dads? My son also plays football and almost every dad is there for every practice T/Th 5:30-6:30 and games on Sat. Not one other dad bothered to take his son to scouts on a sunday afternoon!?
What are y'alls thoughts?
I am more than happy to try to help the den, but not real comfortable being the only dad. I'm also not sure all the Leaders/helper s are certified/youth protection etc.(high school girls) I can do alot of the activities with my son outside of the meetings, but this so different than we were used to.

Any scouting DisDads...advice?
Thanks for the chance to vent.

Not a scout Dad. I wasn't one growing up. But my advice is to not let this new environment get in the way of you being involved! It can't hurt to try! :thumbsup2

Matt

Congrats!! :thumbsup2

We are going next Sunday. :cool1: I am the planner in the family and this is our 4th trip. We've done Christmas :santa: (my favourite), Summer (HOT) and early fall (still Hot).

My son is a horror show freak. I thought aboyt taking him too MNSSHP (done that b4 as well), but somehow he found out about HHN. Guess where we are going? ;)

He's graduatung, I am 40 and feel 60 (darn arthritis). Love to golf, but only get out occassionally. Daughter is in that " Daddy can I have..." stage. (I will resist, I will resist, I will resist..I never resist ) Easier toi give in then deal with demon daughter. :littleangel:

Chris

Welcome, Chris! Emma's Dad will be along to give you a number. In the meantime, jump in a look around...

Ok, so we just moved to a new city and state. My son and I were involved in Cub Scouts last year (Tiger/Bobcat) and I was Asst. Den Leader. Almost all Dad led...camping, woodworking, carpentry etc.
At his new school/pack/den..it seems to be all mom led??? I went to the first den mtg...we wore our uniforms as we were used to. It was about 6 moms and a couple of high schools girls leading the den mtg of about 12 boys. We were the only ones in scout apparel. There did not seem to be much personal interaction with the boys, just rotating them through stations to "accomplish" activities. I tried to hang back (to see how they did things/ don't want to step on any toes).
I was very disappointed....not with the moms, I'm glad they were leading. Where are the dads? My son also plays football and almost every dad is there for every practice T/Th 5:30-6:30 and games on Sat. Not one other dad bothered to take his son to scouts on a sunday afternoon!?
What are y'alls thoughts?
I am more than happy to try to help the den, but not real comfortable being the only dad. I'm also not sure all the Leaders/helper s are certified/youth protection etc.(high school girls) I can do alot of the activities with my son outside of the meetings, but this so different than we were used to.

Any scouting DisDads...advice?
Thanks for the chance to vent.

I agree with Fed. This is the sad state of fatherhood these days. Mom leaders are okay, but Dad leaders will keep the boys more interested. I would jump in a be a Den Leader. Take the kids camping, fishing, hiking. I'm one of the worst outdoorsmans out there, but I go and I learn. The boys notice it and stay involved.

You can always meet with the Council or District Rep for BSA. Usually, they have an office in the same building as a local scout shop. Email them or give them a call and ask for insight. (and make sure the leaders are trained!)

Good luck, Phil!

Just a disney freak

Hello freak! Welcome to the club! You are member # 654! :thumbsup2

Chris

Hey Chris! Glad you finally did find us! You are member # 655! :thumbsup2

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB! :welcome:

You have been added to the DIS Dad's Club list :thumbsup2

Chris

Welcome!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Funny thing happened last night. We are at the dinner table which faces the back yard and we were having a nice conversation about what DD learned in school that day. Well, right in the middle of my sentence I happened to see something running across the back fence... it had a rather large pine cone in its mouth. Without even thinking... and without skipping a beat... I said "Look! Squirrel!" :lmao::lmao: And after everyone was done looking at the squirrel we all turned to each other and had a good laugh! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

:squirrel::squirrel::squirrel:

Welcome to the new dads! Always good to see some new people coming around.

Funny thing happened last night. We are at the dinner table which faces the back yard and we were having a nice conversation about what DD learned in school that day. Well, right in the middle of my sentence I happened to see something running across the back fence... it had a rather large pine cone in its mouth. Without even thinking... and without skipping a beat... I said "Look! Squirrel!" :lmao::lmao: And after everyone was done looking at the squirrel we all turned to each other and had a good laugh! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Hilarious! And who knew there was a squirrel smilie?

Chris

Welcome to the club. We needed another Chris.

Hi guys just checking in. I have been very busy trying to keep the money coming in and running the house. My wife is due at the the end of October (she has been on bed rest since may) so at least she will be able to help me a little more soon. Of course we will have a new born on our hands so I'm thinking it's not going to get much easier soon. I am praying for a healthy, good sleeping baby boy.:thumbsup2

I have been enjoying the fantasy league even though I have one of the worst teams in the league. I am not ready for a fire sale but anyone who wants Tom Brady for a playoff run might want to send me a Dolewhip!

:rotfl2: Thanks for making me smile Don. Here's to hoping my Friday afternoon is better! ;)

Sharing this from my FB post today. I went to the Dr for annual physical. Just as the prostate exam has ... ahem... started, the message "ding" on my phone sounds. Dr. says that he has heard some unusual sounds during that exam, but never a "ding". I asked if that meant it was healthy. I have thankful to have a good relationship with my Dr.

Having a potluck at work today so I decided to go Gourmet and made this...that my brothers is a Corndog Pizza!!!
corndogpizza.jpg
I thought at first this was a pic of the moon? All of a sudden I’m second guessing if I want to sit at the same table as you in two weeks on the cruise, yet at the same time quite enthralled? I love this tactic for a work potluck….make something you love to eat, but at the same time know that others will not eat it, hence the spoils all go to you!! Here, here!!!!:thumbsup2

Either way….15 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:welcome: new Dads! :thumbsup2

Sharing this from my FB post today. I went to the Dr for annual physical. Just as the prostate exam has ... ahem... started, the message "ding" on my phone sounds. Dr. says that he has heard some unusual sounds during that exam, but never a "ding". I asked if that meant it was healthy. I have thankful to have a good relationship with my Dr.

Lots of good stories today!

I've been really busy at work and home this week, but now I can catch up a little on some stuff:

Ehhh… Cameron seems a bit of a glory hound to me
(but I don’t figure you’ll make it in Hollywood if that isn’t the case).

Actually (and not to pick a fight, but…) if you adjust for inflation, Avatar if 14th:

But what is more important (from a DisDad perspective) is that two of Walt’s films are higher up in that list.
If you look at the top 100, you’ll also find that Disney has held its own very well:

Not a fight at all. A friendly debate / exchange of opinions is very healthy and fun - considering it is kept civil. And I am sure we can all do that here. :) :thumbsup2

Yes, Disney films have done great. That is what help makes Disney Disney. :rotfl:

As far as 'adjusting for inflation' - that still is not a good way of comparing movies from different decades. You also have to consider how many more options are out there nowadays for your entertainment dollars. Comparing a 1939 (or ANY old movie) to a movie in today's day and age is just not feasible. When you consider that back then there were only one or two movies out at a time, it would be easy for one movie to draw all the movie-going dollars for several weeks or months. In our time, there are usually around 20 movie options available at any given week - and that is just at the theater, not including all the home-based movie options available.

Granted, Avatar may not be the highest tickets sold per screen - but it should be considered one of the most successful movies in modern history, given all the various factors involved.
:3dglasses

When you consider they will be making two more Avatar films (and each one will take several years to make), the Disney deal makes a lot of sense to me. Add to that the brilliant mind of James Cameron (have you read about some of his inventions and accomplishments besides the movies he has made? Sounds like an Imagineer!) and you have a great teaming of minds, IMHO.

Any Home Theater Dad's out there?

My Panasonic A/V Receiver (bless it's heart) took a crap today.

Was thinking about the new Pioneer vsx-1021k with apple airplay....any dads have any suggestions?

I used to run Pioneer, until I bit the bullet and tried out a Harmon Kardon after very extensive research. The sound was so much better and full-sounding - I am hooked. Keep in mind, when looking at specs for the Pioneer's compared to HK - the HK's are much more efficient with power delivery so a lower wattage HK matches up with with a higher rated Pioneer. (ie. a 100w per channel Pioneer would be comparable to a 75w per channel HK.) I had to hear it to believe it. :wizard:

A great place to get all the info you would ever want (and a lot more) is at avsforum.com

Matt

Congrats! We need a pic of you with your ears on! :thumbsup2

Chris

Welcome, Chris! :welcome:

geez, havnt been on for a few hours and the place goes nuts.
welcome new dads!!
don, :lmao:
congrats matt on your new degree!:thumbsup2
whats up chill!!!!:thumbsup2
i see feds still on his vike vacation and doing well!!:lmao:
id get involved doc!!! for your son. footballs on sundays, thats probably why theres no dads around. thats one reason i havnt watched to much sports in the last 15 years, briana was a dancer and i spent alot of weekends with the girls. still cant say i like ballet for hours on end but besides myself there was only one other dad out of 400 girls that didnt miss a show, recital or comp. in fact the owner of the dance studio wants me to come back next year to usher. what a shame,all those kids and they cant find one father to take my place.:sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter