The DIS Dad's Club X: Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably Dave!

you guys come up with a good design and ill do it!!!! :thumbsup2 ive been wanting to get another one anyway. :thumbsup2 just remember, i have to walk around the rest of my life with it and nothing huge,about 4inch high and about 3 inches wide. if i like it, ill do it!:thumbsup2

I knew Dave would volunteer!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thought you guys would like to see what my dog does after her walk in the morning!

7930d681.jpg

It just occurred to me that, technically, I can join. Don't have my own kids yet, but DW has two from a previous marriage that, while I don't get to see them too often, I have a blast when they do visit!

This guy's trouble, I can feel it. We may not want him as a member....

:rolleyes1

TL

Good morning from epcot...so far the crowds are manageable ...talk to u soon.....kids having fun..so r Mom and dad..........

Hope that you have a great time.

The mail came today, and look what I found in it:

DisDadplates003.jpg

I Own Maryland! :cool2:

Really cool. :thumbsup2

Alright Dads, I leave for Orlando tomorrow and start work on Monday, I'll try to post on here periodically but Facebook is a lot easier so look for updates there. I'll be in Orlando until Friday then back in Palm Beach for the weekend to start packing then back on Sunday. I'll be staying in an extended stay for the next 3 weeks and we should have the keys to our new place June 4th (if all goes well).

Dang, so I guess that we can cancel our reservations and just bunk up with oXar when we are down there in a few weeks. :lmao:

What a day today! For some reason, people drink way more on weekends, go figure. Morning clicked along just fine, but this afternoon got hairy. My co-worker was crouching down, palcing champagne on a shelf, when a bottle slipped from her hand, fell and basicly exploded, sending a good piece of glass at her face cutting a HUGE gash across her right cheek. I missed all this, as it was my lunch break, and I was sitting out the back door listening to the Disdad podcast, never noticing the boss rushing her to the hospital. I was informed when I got back, and one idiot co-worker told me these stupid exaggerations of the incident so I could write up the report (I am the store's Health and Safety rep). I waited till the boss came back and got the real story, we filed the reports. Still scary stuff, it took 18 stitches to close the wound.

:scared1: 18 stitches on the cheek; must have been some serious gash.

It just occurred to me that, technically, I can join. Don't have my own kids yet, but DW has two from a previous marriage that, while I don't get to see them too often, I have a blast when they do visit!
hi, just joined..Wife been on here for years. Headed to wdw in 2 weeks. Then im going on first cruise on theDream. Wife and son very excited.

Welcome to both of you.

Serious question.. My wife wants to spread a little magic at Disney. She bought a peanut butter load of tiny bubbles in a bottle things and says she want to give them to the borderline meltdown kids at the parks..

Would you guys freak out if someone gave your little ones bubbles?

Have you ever done anything like this?

If you did, how did it go?

We always do something at the parks to brighten somebodies day.
One year on our last day we went to hard rock DTD. There was family there (3 teens and mom and dad) that was scrutinizing the menu... They were defiantly on a budget.. The waiter told them it was on the house before they ordered.. (we paid). Come to find out it was his wife's birthday and that was the only TS that she asked for on the trip. It really lifts our spirit to do something like this!
Bought popcorn and soda for some teens that had brought their lunch in from home!! Can't wait to do it again. :thumbsup2

I think the bubbles is a great idea. Also a :thumbsup2 for helping out the folks at the Hard Rock.

Worked hard yesterday. Started out with a great but tough 6 mile run yesterday morning, and my legs are feeling it today. Then had a board meeting for a group that does some things for a few of our local schools (I didn't want to go, but did). Then went to pick up DD from a sleepover with her cousin at a mountain cabin. After grabbing a bite to eat, we went to a local greenhouse for our annual purchase of flowers and vegetables for our small vegetable garden that we have grown for the past few years. After I got all of the flowers out of the back of the van, DW asked me to go to the grocery store because she is having some kind of party here today and she needed some goodies to serve. Spent over an hour at the grocery store trying to find ONE item that she HAD to have; I finally found it, and if it had been where it should have been (on the chips/snacks aisle; even the store folks couldn't find it), I would have been in and out in 15 minutes. Came back home and got the grass cut as the rain and storms started to gather over the mountains. I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to cut the grass and not get rained on. After having some great home made pizza by DW, we all headed back outside to get the flowers and veggies planted. Naturally, that is when it started to rain. I guess that I worked the last 30 minutes in a steady rain, but everything is in the ground, and hopefully we'll have some great treats here in a couple of months.

Funny thing is that I was doing some serious sleeping this morning about 6:30 when DW's phone alarm goes off. Guess who is still sleeping and guess who couldn't go back to sleep......................:sad2:

So I am catching up on my DisDads Podcasts, listening to Ep. 5 right now. It brought up a good question, that I have been thinking about. As a younger dad with a little girl I am wanting my daughter to enjoy her first trip so much that she never stops begging to go back. My daughter currently will wave at our local mascots, easter bunny, etc. but will not ever go talk to, high five, hug them. With our trip being planned around her 5th birthday in almost 1.5 years away she may grow out of this, but I am curious if there is anything I can do to help with this timidness.

I guess we were lucky in this regard, both our kids took to the Disney characters with no problem. Our youngest is still scared of the mall Santa's and bunnies, but not the big over the top Disney costumes for some reason. Our first trip with them was over Christmas, she was 2 and refused to sit on Santa's lap at DTD but the very next day allowed Pooh to practically bite off her head @ Crystal Palace. I think what might have helped, especially with her, was that we started at Cinderella's Royal Table in the morning, the first characters they met where the Princesses, which were our main focus. Most of our meals were character meals, which might have also helped. Our oldest was 5 and had no problems with any of them either, however, a month later we went to Universal Studios and during a performance one of the non-costume dancers came off stage and started to dance with both of them, for some reason this freaked out my older daughter. You never know how they'll react, but I think that comfort level is the key, for some reason, they felt safe at the dinner table.

I wouldn't admit that so quickly... try to slide under the radar for a bit and wait until the Child audit then make up some story about how they were abducted by aliens, and you were really heart broken, that you couldn't leave the boards, and you need the moral support from the fellow Dad's.

But now the cat's out of the bag... I am not sure how this will go down, it could get ugly.

But in case they do allow you, let me be the first to :welcome: you, and invite you to explore the whole forum, not just this thead. Lot's of valuable things around, like Hooter's restaurants statuses, pics of Disney princesses, and lot's of fantasy sports pools.

Serious question.. My wife wants to spread a little magic at Disney. She bought a peanut butter load of tiny bubbles in a bottle things and says she want to give them to the borderline meltdown kids at the parks..

We always do something at the parks to brighten somebodies day.
One year on our last day we went to hard rock DTD. There was family there (3 teens and mom and dad) that was scrutinizing the menu... They were defiantly on a budget.. The waiter told them it was on the house before they ordered.. (we paid). Come to find out it was his wife's birthday and that was the only TS that she asked for on the trip. It really lifts our spirit to do something like this!
Bought popcorn and soda for some teens that had brought their lunch in from home!! Can't wait to do it again. :thumbsup2

I think it's a great idea, and maybe you can have them printed courtesy of the DISdads @ DISboards.com :rotfl2:
We need to advertise. :thumbsup2

in honor of Starwars weekend and the new Startours, I found some emoticons!

smiley-sw018.gif

smiley-sw022.gif

smiley-sw017.gif
Yay for Star Wars Emoticons!
(And for Multi-quoting from days ago, but not closing the browser window, so I can bring up old topics!)
The mail came today, and look what I found in it:

DisDadplates003.jpg

and on the car,

DisDadplates004.jpg

DisDadplates005.jpg

I Own Maryland! :cool2:
The plates are GREAT!
And side-bar: How do you like the Matrix? I thought about it, as it seemed a practical car that could get dirty. I got a Mustang instead, but I really liked the Matrix.

My Recycle can would be alot lighter
This made me laugh.
so true... We also used to get boones farms back in the day. Now that was high class...
From my TR: We were at Teppan Edo, and saw a $90 bottle of Sake. The DW said, "That's 30 bottles of Boone's Farm!" I Love my wife!

I was at the baseball game a few weeks ago when there was a tornado, and we were trapped in a stairwell. There was a ... 4? year old with his mom & older siblings. What I did was ask mom if it was okay for him to have some cotton candy, THEN I asked the 4 yr old. Now, this was food, so different than bubbles or stickers, but I'd say, if you said to the child, "If it's okay with mom&dad, I can let you have some bubbles" but do it in a way where you know mom/dad will say yes. You don't want to make the meltdown WORSE by promising bubbles that the parents won't let the kids have.
Just my 2 cents.

Yesterday, I dropped off my lawn mower for a tune up, changed out a wall sconce, and went to a Bowling Party for 6 year olds (picture Uncle Buck). Then last night, I folded laundry and had my Cap'n & Coke(s). GREAT Saturday for me!

DW said we're going to WDW next June! (leaving on Memorial Day)

So, 1st of all YAY!!!:cool1:

Next: When can we book a trip that's a year away? I've tried in the past to book a long-way out, and typically, they won't let me book past the end of the current calendar year.
And, when we book, I know we have to book rooms, but can you wait and add tickets / dining later?

Finally, what's the *advantage* of booking through a travel agency? Wouldn't it cost more going through a 3rd party compared to Disney directly? (SOMEONE'S gotta pay the TA)

DW said we're going to WDW next June! (leaving on Memorial Day) at first I was like, what!?! in 16 days!?! :rotfl:

Next: When can we book a trip that's a year away? I've tried in the past to book a long-way out, and typically, they won't let me book past the end of the current calendar year. are you trying to book online, or by calling?
And, when we book, I know we have to book rooms, but can you wait and add tickets / dining later? you can always add more later, but I will point out that if you book room only, you will have to pay for it in full right away, vs if you do room plus at least one day of ticket(s), you can do the 200 deposit and pay off. Or at least, that is what i remember from booking room only before.

Finally, what's the *advantage* of booking through a travel agency? Wouldn't it cost more going through a 3rd party compared to Disney directly? (SOMEONE'S gotta pay the TA)

first part: you have someone else who will be watching for a better deal, and doing the math for you. That is, if you are smart and go through a TA that actually knows their stuff. second question is: not always. Sometimes you pay a percentage, and sometimes they get kickbacks from the company(s) they book with. Think about it this way, if you owned a large hotel, wouldn't you want to make sure TA's book with you, vs the guy across the street? how would you do that? money and other perks is a great way to do it, so yeah, it isn't always YOU that is paying them.

that said, I personally am a control freak, and will never book with a TA. I don't like how they would be the ones getting the mickey mail, that they then have to pass on to me, nevertheless the fact that, well I just am a control freak when it comes to things like that. :rotfl: I want to be able to do it all myself, see the numbers on the screen and my options myself, and yes, I even like doing the math myself. :confused3

hope i helped even a tad.

so true... We also used to get boones farms back in the day. Now that was high class...

Great stuff. Do you remember Mad Dog (MD 20/20)? My great-uncle was the one who created Old Granddaddy whiskey. I don't get royalties.

Thats awesome, Randall! Congrats!!!! You're going to start a trend!

Wonder who is getting the first tattoo?

I'd love to get more tattoos, but it is about the $ now. I'm too old for this ...

Just wait until they get older. You ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm going to hide in the storage building next time. I have those wind-up battery lights and the Dis Dads to keep me company.

Hello DIS Dads,

Occasional DISboard lurker and big Disney fan. My wife (long time DISboard member "DannysMom") finally convinced me to create a log in by telling me about a "Dad's Club thread" so here I am. Heading with the family down to Disney World for a stay at the Beach Club in June for my older sons 8th Birthday. This will be the first trip for our boy/girl twins who will be almost 2.

Should be quite an adventure :goodvibes

Regard,

Jim

Hello DIS Dads,

Occasional DISboard lurker and big Disney fan. My wife (long time DISboard member "DannysMom") finally convinced me to create a log in by telling me about a "Dad's Club thread" so here I am. Heading with the family down to Disney World for a stay at the Beach Club in June for my older sons 8th Birthday. This will be the first trip for our boy/girl twins who will be almost 2.

Regard,

Jim

Welcome to your newest addiction Jim. Good luck trying to keep up.

Hello DIS Dads,

Regard,

Jim
:welcome: Jim!

Congrats on the first trip with the twins! Should be a very fun adventure!

Emma's Dad will be by soon with your member number.....in the mean time, have fun taking it all in!

DW said we're going to WDW next June! (leaving on Memorial Day)

Next: When can we book a trip that's a year away? I've tried in the past to book a long-way out, and typically, they won't let me book past the end of the current calendar year.
And, when we book, I know we have to book rooms, but can you wait and add tickets / dining later?

1. If you're beyond the current calendar year, you can't book a package. You can book a room-only reservation. The room rate is set as the current rate for the purpose of your deposit, but that rate is not fixed and will change when new rates are announced for the new calendar year. In other words, you can lock in a space, but not a rate. An interesting untouted fact is that you can buy tickets any time you want. As long as you don't start using the tickets, you don't start your "use it within 14 days" clock. This is particularly useful to know if you have a child who is currently 9 years old, but will turn 10 before your trip. You can buy a "child" ticket now. Even if it's never used until the child turns 10, Guest Relations will convert that ticket to an "adult" ticket at WDW. If you're booking a room-only reservation, buying your tickets before August of this year is a good idea (if you can swing the cash up-front), because ticket prices have been going up 3% - 5% a year for the last several years. So you can purchase tickets before the rate increase - that's about the biggest "savings" you'll find on Disney park tickets.

2. If you have an ethical travel agent, you will NEVER pay more going through an agent than you will booking yourself. Disney eats the cost of travel agent commissions - it's in Disney's interest to make it as easy as possible for as many people as possible to spend their money at a Disney resort! The real advantages of using a travel agent are:
a) Someone will constantly monitor to see if there's a new and better deal that's come available and would save you money, and can re-book your reservation for you without you having to deal with it.
b) Someone will take your directions and take care of the hassle part of making ADRs and special experiences (or not, if you'd prefer to do it yourself). As an example, one of my clients really wanted a Crystal Palace lunch with their young child. They'd done it with their nephew years ago, and wanted to have that specific experience with their son. When we first booked their reservation, Crystal Palace wasn't available. I kept checking for availability several times a day, every day until a slot opened up and got the reservation made. Sure, they could have done that themselves. But that's just the kind of detail that a travel agent takes off your hands so you don't have to mess with it.
c) A travel agent is constantly monitoring news and rumors from Disney and the Disney community, and can tell you about new opportunities that you might not find on your own. For example, I have a client who has stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside before, and could have just booked themselves there again. But I knew about the new Royal Guest rooms that will be available by the time they travel, and they were interested. I'm getting them booked at POR, and will look to get them changed to a Royal Guest room as soon as booking for that category opens up this summer.
d) With a good travel agent, you can have as much or as little control of details as you want. Want to make all of the ADRs yourself? Go ahead. Need to make a last minute change while trying to get on top of the stuff you've got to finish up at work so you can leave for your vacation? Call your agent, and your agent can take are of it.
e) You'll often receive value-added extras from a travel agent. I offer to develop and send my clients detailed touring plans, to help them minimize time spent waiting in lines at the parks. Agents and agencies sometimes run Disney Gift Card deals or other giveaways (I've been known to give away a unique guide book that would be particularly helpful for a specific client's trip).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter