The DIS Book Club Discussion Group: Round 8 - The Hunger Games

That's still a long way off. I'm looking forward to seeing how they dress the people from the Capitol. :)

That's still a long way off. I'm looking forward to seeing how they dress the people from the Capitol. :)

I agree. It would be interesting to see how they portray that look. From the sounds of it, it may be quite commical.

I'm hoping they don't make it as cheesy as Twilight's first movie. I really felt it was poorly done and fans only enjoyed it because it was an extension of the book. I can't even imagine what they'd do here with The Hunger Games. Could you imagine Katniss' fiery costume?!

I'm hoping they don't make it as cheesy as Twilight's first movie. I really felt it was poorly done and fans only enjoyed it because it was an extension of the book. I can't even imagine what they'd do here with The Hunger Games. Could you imagine Katniss' fiery costume?!

I guess it's just a good thing they've got computer animation to show things like that now, rather than setting actors and their costumes on fire... :scared1:

The Capitol should havean ancient Roman feel to it. All the people from the Capitol have Roman names, the chariots, the arena...

Can't wait to see everyone's costumes. To me, that could really make or break the movie depending on how well they are done.

The Capitol should havean ancient Roman feel to it. All the people from the Capitol have Roman names, the chariots, the arena...
OMG, I never thought of that! D'oh! That's a really, really good point. And we all know what happened to Rome and their decadence...

Can't wait to see everyone's costumes. To me, that could really make or break the movie depending on how well they are done.
Both costuming & makeup will.

Sayhello

I know I'm joining late, but I just finished the first two books! Such an amazing series.

I teach third grade and know that this book is required reading for all students entering our high school. I am tutoring a student right now and am re-reading the first book with him and am having really interesting conversations regarding the themes.

Does anyone know what the movie will be rated when it comes out? I can imagine it could easily get an R rating with some of the violence, but will probably make it tamer to get a lower rating...

That's a good point about the rating. I bet they will try to keep it to PG13. It will do better at the box office if it isn't R.

Something else I thought of as I'm reading through (and I can say without spoiling anything because it is just something subtle as you read) is each district seems to have bits and pieces of American culture. Like someone from one district might know something that we Americans now recognize while someone from other district doesn't know that. But instead they know something else. Not only did all the products (mining, clothing, etc) get divided up but it seems so did things like sayings and songs.

That's a good point about the rating. I bet they will try to keep it to PG13. It will do better at the box office if it isn't R.

Something else I thought of as I'm reading through (and I can say without spoiling anything because it is just something subtle as you read) is each district seems to have bits and pieces of American culture. Like someone from one district might know something that we Americans now recognize while someone from other district doesn't know that. But instead they know something else. Not only did all the products (mining, clothing, etc) get divided up but it seems so did things like sayings and songs.

I would imagine they would definitely try to avoid an R rating, especially given that the main characters are teens, and a PG13 would admit an audience similar in age.

Really good point about the portions of American culture divided among the districts. I hadn't thought about it while reading, but that division really is interesting and recognizable (while subtle).

I love this series!! I am on the third book now and loving every minute of it!!!:dance3: My niece recommended it to me while we were on a 13 hour trip to Christian's doctor. I stopped in at a Walmart to get the 1st book and haven't look back since!!! I love some Katniss!!

I just started the third book yesterday and I'm already almost half way through. I'm going to miss reading about Katniss after I finish. :sad1:

Wow! There are so many deep political ideas going on in this series. At first, the general idea of the Hunger Games reminded me of the film "Logan's Run." Not sure many are old enough to remember that one. ;-)

SPOILERS:
I do wonder what raised the original rebellion, and why there are now 12 districts because District 13 was completely destroyed? It matches the number of colonies, but is there any parallel other than the number? The districts don't seem to be large, either. From that I infer that most of the population was killed. I also understand that the fall back position for the US Federal government is in the Denver area. I just makes me wonder how it is all going to play out in the trilogy.
END SPOILERS

Luckily, a long plane flight coming up, and all three books on my Kindle pretty much means I'll be through all of them before Wednesday. ;-)

I'm in the 3rd book and haven't been able to read in 2 days! I really can't wait to get back into it! Great series! I'm looking forward to discussing it more fully when others get further along. I boutgh my book and Nook allows me to share if anyone would like me to lend the first 2 and the 3rd when done. There is a 10 day limit Nook sets on each book you lend and can't be re sent. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the link. I was very interesting to look up the actors and see if they looked liked how they did in my mind. Most seem to be pretty close but that wasn't how I imagined Cinna. Although what they do with the Capitol's costumes I think will make or break it for me.

I have to say the brief descritption given for the movie is wrong: "A young girl joins a survival contest in order to save her community in a dystopian future." That bothers me because that isn't the story at all. :confused3

I just finished the thrid book so all I have to look forward to now is the movie. LOVED all three books! Can't wait to see a trailer. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the link. I was very interesting to look up the actors and see if they looked liked how they did in my mind. Most seem to be pretty close but that wasn't how I imagined Cinna. Although what they do with the Capitol's costumes I think will make or break it for me.

I have to say the brief descritption given for the movie is wrong: "A young girl joins a survival contest in order to save her community in a dystopian future." That bothers me because that isn't the story at all. :confused3

I just finished the thrid book so all I have to look forward to now is the movie. LOVED all three books! Can't wait to see a trailer. :thumbsup2

Wow. That's a "different" kind of synopsis than the story. To say the least! I hope that's to avoid giving away too much.

I finished book 3 on the plane to California so now I wait for the movies too. :)

One of my prouder moments came last summer when I was in Target with my friend's 13yo and asked if she had read the books. She had never heard of them, so I bought her a copy of the first book. She and her mom went on a 10 hour roadtrip and she read it and made her mom buy her book two immediately.
She started high school in Sept and on the first day started talking to a girl who was reading Mockingjay about the book and now they are best friends. I love when books bring kids together!

One of my prouder moments came last summer when I was in Target with my friend's 13yo and asked if she had read the books. She had never heard of them, so I bought her a copy of the first book. She and her mom went on a 10 hour roadtrip and she read it and made her mom buy her book two immediately.
She started high school in Sept and on the first day started talking to a girl who was reading Mockingjay about the book and now they are best friends. I love when books bring kids together!
What a fabulous story!!! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Lots of observations and lots of discussion topics! Should have time on Tuesday for a real post.

I don't think it is a spoiler to say the ending did not disappoint me!

I totally agree. I wasn't sure how they would end it and how I was hoping it would end....but I was glad it had if not a happy ending a good end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter