The DHS backlot tour is SO not a backlot tour

I stand by my position that it is NOT a backlot tour. It USED to be one, but now it's not even a good fake one. I don't agree that I should just suspend disbelief. I do that for the US LA tour, as it has things like Catastrophe Canyone as well, but at least you get to see a back lot.

I disagree that the concept of a backlot is dated. They still use US's backlot a lot for both TVs and movies. Interiors are all done on sound stages, yes, and special effects are all done on green screen. But when you need someone walking down a street and you don't want to permit your way into oblivion to flim on a real street, you still need a backlot.

The part where they lost me was when they said the had filmed dozens of TV shows and movies at Catastrophe Canyon. As if. There is nothing on the current backlot tour where anything has ever been filmed.

If you don't mind waiting in a 30 min line to sit down for 30 mins NOT in the shade for 30 mins and have a recording talk to you, then go for it. As for me, I'll go sit down in one of the productions. At least most of them are air conditioned. ;)

Oh, and I agree with the poster that talked about the coolest part being the props that you are rushed through. If it was part of the line and you went slow it would be cool, but you are rushed through that part and barely have time to look at them.

That is part of the schtick that has always been there, even back when it was a "real" backlot tour. I don't think you're supposed to ever believe it's real (maybe kids do).

It's kind of like that stupid poacher storyline on the AK safari. A bit of make-believe mixed in with reality.

I still agree with you that the ride, in its current incarnation, is fairly lame.

There isn't a backlot tour at Universal ORlando.

The Backlot Tour in MGM USED to be really, really good. I don't remember when it was the all out 2 hour tour. But I do remember when they split the tour in 2. So they had the special effects tour (water tanks, HSTK bee, Lottery ticket, 101 dalmations set etc) and the Backlot tour was longer and went down residential street and all that good stuff!

Now it's like a withered plant in need of being put on the compost heap.

When I first did the backlot tour it was a little longer and they had the Golden Girls and Empty Nest facades up. Now there's not much.

I remember seeing a TV show..I know the Disney episodes are never realistic, but they showed the kid from malcolm in the middle being annoyed that another tour was coming through while they were trying to film. I think at some point you COULD actually see things being shot there, right? And didn't Home Improvement film there?

Maybe they should re-vamp it to show what actually DOES go on at DHS, so give people a tour of the costume shop, etc.

I remember also on our first trip they had just finished Brother Bear which was the last film to be drawn in Orlando at the time at least. It's also sad to think the Animation tour was once something much more interesting than it is now.

I do remember the tour during the days of MGM as a working studio. Part of the walking tour filed past several sound stages. You could gaze through glass windows and view the work being done. The most vivid recollection is of filming for From the Earth to the Moon. In reality, you could only see large white boxes - they were filming command and lunar module scenes. But, we were told the names of the actors involved that particular day. It gave the impression of a vast and busy studio. I miss those days.

I have never been to Universal Orlando but my assumption is that the backlot tour there is lacking compared with Hollywood. The latter has been a working backlot for decades. So the tour takes you through both working sets as well as staged sets built just for the tour. In all the years of going to UHS I've not once seen any actors I recognize but others have. I have seen a few commercials being filmed and later saw on TV.

Universal Studios Orlando hasn't has any kind of tour for a long time,it probably only existed for a year or two.The Orlando park has always known it wasn't a full working studio like what they have in Hollywood.Many of the attractions that were experienced in the Hollywood tour were created into attractions in Orlando,like Jaws which is a full ride and not a part of the tour.

I can only assume you have never been to Universal Studios Hollywood backlot tour. The tram takes you through numerous outdoor sets used over the decades for dozens of movies and still in use today. Quite often our tram will pass by camera crews. Sometimes the tram has to keep its distance if they're actually shooting film. It is a working backlot.

I can only assume you mean the Universal Studios tour in CA, because the comparable attractions at Universal in Orlando are every bit as fake and cheesy as the BLT at DHS.

The part where they lost me was when they said the had filmed dozens of TV shows and movies at Catastrophe Canyon. As if. There is nothing on the current backlot tour where anything has ever been filmed.

Psssst. The secret to enjoying WDW is in part suspending reality. Elephants don't really fly, and stitch doesn't really escape and wreak havoc on the Magic Kingdom. You need to let the magic take you there. If you run around going "This sucks, this isn't real" then you are missing out on so much!

When we were there in Sept. the Catastrophe Canyon wasn't even working correctly. They never pretended we were on a hot set and the bridge never shook and the tanker didn't slide down the hill.

It was the first time we had gone on it since 2004 I think and we won't be going on again.

Just a heads up for anyone riding the safari at Animal Kingdom: you don't actually rescue a baby elephant from poachers. It's just another elaborate scam from Disney, sorry.

When we were there in Sept. the Catastrophe Canyon wasn't even working correctly. They never pretended we were on a hot set and the bridge never shook and the tanker didn't slide down the hill.

It was the first time we had gone on it since 2004 I think and we won't be going on again.

Same thing happened to us in September. Except we had to sit on the bridge in the heat for 25 mins while maintenanced fixed it. Must have been having issues that month :confused3

Just a heads up for anyone riding the safari at Animal Kingdom: you don't actually rescue a baby elephant from poachers. It's just another elaborate scam from Disney, sorry.
Blasphemy!

Next you're going to tell us that the Yeti doesn't actually take a swing at us as we narrowly escape.

The ride could be better, but I don't think it's THAT bad. My family enjoys it atleast once a visit, in any case. It's nice to sit down for a bit, lol.

Actually, Yes. When it was a working studio they had more things to see/do. I remember they used to have a green screen where someone in the audience got to ride on a bug and be in Honey I Shrunk the Kids

I got to do this when I was younger!!! I have the pics!

Hey, all attractions could be better, but last week (while being there) I got to be the captain of a ship attacked by planes with guns and bombs, and had an awesome time. The assistant director that 'trained' us was great.

And I loved that being part of it is not a matter of luck. They asked for volunteers, I raised my hand, and next thing I know I was in the middle of the movie, with DW filming from the grades and our two DDs watching at the movie daddy was in.

I agree wit PPs that you have to let your imagination flow, and you'll have the best of times!

Mx

Hey, all attractions could be better, but last week (while being there) I got to be the captain of a ship attacked by planes with guns and bombs, and had an awesome time. The assistant director that 'trained' us was great.

And I loved that being part of it is not a matter of luck. They asked for volunteers, I raised my hand, and next thing I know I was in the middle of the movie, with DW filming from the grades and our two DDs watching at the movie daddy was in.

I agree wit PPs that you have to let your imagination flow, and you'll have the best of times!

Mx

We had the BEST time one year at DHS. Back in 2007. Every trip I end up with a different favorite park, or a park I spend more time in and get to know. This trip ended up being DHS, not just bc of the Osbourne lights but bc we got picked for several things

When they asked for 3 adult volunteers at the Backlot tour, I raised my hand very high and we were picked immediately.

DH was the first volunteer picked for the Indy show. When she asked for volunteers I stood up jumped up and down at pointed at DH. poor guy was so focused on the stage he didn't even realize I was doing it.

So much fun!

That same trip, we also got a Magical Moment as we were the "First Family" of the American Adventure. We had showed up early to watch VoL and after VoL we were looking around and someone pulled us aside and asked us where we were from. We got to be seated first and they announced us during the pre-show. It was a little thing, but we totally loved it.

I love that stuff. The more you "get into it" at Disney, the more fun you can have.

I don't think Disney is trying to "dupe" anyone with the BLT, but since it once was more of a real backlot tour, I think people do expect it to be. I definitely miss the more realistic parts of it, but it's still a fun ride.

I remember the first time I did it in 1996 and got to see the facades for Golden Girls.
we did it on our trip a month ago so the kids could say that did it. They enjoyed it. Would we do it again? maybe but not every Disney trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter