• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The decline of Disney Service

I've been having amazing experiences with servers at the WDW restaurants as of late as well, including Steakhouse 71.

Funny you mention the side substitution story because at Le Cellier, the opposite happened to us. We wanted to swap one of the sides on the steaks and this last time, the server said it was a no-go. Even went as far as saying he'd check with the kitchen, coming back, and saying no. Even though we've done it in the past?

So the fish at Steak House 71 is a ’ready meal’?

Given that they HAD fish they could sear, my guess is that they pre-stage the meals prior to dinner time. That wouldn't be out of line for what pretty much every restaurant does prior to prime meal times. In fact, I would be shocked if they did not. The level to which they prep will differ. But it's reasonable to expect that if the fish is always steamed with that veggie, and that the meal takes a long time to prep, that it would be pre-staged. This is further re-enforced by the statement that steaming it would take too long and he had to think out of the box about what he could do to accommodate it.

Funny you mention the side substitution story because at Le Cellier, the opposite happened to us. We wanted to swap one of the sides on the steaks and this last time, the server said it was a no-go. Even went as far as saying he'd check with the kitchen, coming back, and saying no. Even though we've done it in the past?

And to be honest, that is what I fully expected. Given that the meals were already pre-staged, I would have even considered that response to be reasonable as long as it was followed by "let me bring you a side of the veggie you are requesting". A new restaurant I would have not even considered that they would do anything else - they surely had their hands full just trying to keep up with the regular movement of the kitchen since the "dance steps" are all new to them. Which is why I considered this to be over the top service.

Eh I would think newer restaurants with fresh staff would be good.

Sure it will remain great but the staff is riding the high of being in a new restaurant.

I will note that most of the staff is not fresh, but hails from The Wave including our server Joseph. He even knew our old waiter from a few years ago who we sadly miss. Most of the staff he said carried over.

But I would expect the exact opposite of staff "riding high being in a new restaurant". If there is one thing I do know about the restaurant industry (and I will admit I am no expert), it's the openings are NEVER smooth. Learning new dishes, new menus, a new layout, and new procedures all while serving a flood of customers - no matter how well practiced you are - is a MESS. If anything, the longer it's opened, and the more the meals become mundane, practiced and "muscle-memory", the more easy it is to deal with the unknown, new, hiccup. or special request.

But I would expect the exact opposite of staff "riding high being in a new restaurant". If there is one thing I do know about the restaurant industry (and I will admit I am no expert), it's the openings are NEVER smooth. Learning new dishes, new menus, a new layout, and new procedures all while serving a flood of customers - no matter how well practiced you are - is a MESS. If anything, the longer it's opened, and the more the meals become mundane, practiced and "muscle-memory", the more easy it is to deal with the unknown, new, hiccup. or special request.

My first job ever, before transferring to attractions, was as a busman and later a waiter at the Blue Bayou. I can tell you that even with years of experience in the same restaurant, when the location went down for rehab for just a month, it took the same well-oiled kitchen, bussing and wait staff, coming back to the exact same restaurant, several weeks to get back on their game. Opening a new location, even for highly experienced staff, is no walk in the park.

Last edited:

The fish at Steak 71 is prepared En papillotte...or al cartoccio in Italian. Food is folded into a parcel and baked. The vegetables and spices go in with the fish or chicken or lamb. Apparently keeps the protein very moist and flavorful.

The fish at Steak 71 is prepared En papillotte...or al cartoccio in Italian. Food is folded into a parcel and baked. The vegetables and spices go in with the fish or chicken or lamb. Apparently keeps the protein very moist and flavorful.

That sounds reasonable. The waiter said steamed, but it amounts to a similar thing. In any event, I can see why the chef would have had to sear it instead.

I should have added that no, it is not a “ready meal”. Someone up thread had that question. Makes it sound like a microwaved dish. There is another similar method...can’t recall the name, but everything is put into a vacuum sealed bag and but in a hot water bath....sous verde? Something like that. Also makes proteins moist and flavorful. Some chefs will the sear the protein on a hot cast iron skillet.
Trying to get a dinner reservation there...it’s tough.

I was just about to add that. Some of these posts suggesting the food is "pre-staged" would have you thinking they're popping plates into a microwave. Thanks!

As far as sous vide, you wouldn't place the veggies in the bag with the protein as it is a slow-cooking process at lower temps and would turn some vegetables to mush, and leave others like asparagus. carrots, or broccoli stems rock hard. As an example, you sous vide fish at around 130F.

ETA: Before someone comes on with an "a-ha" comment, let me be clear, sous vide is an excellent way to prepare vegetables. They remain moist and by cooking them in their own moisture, they retain more natural flavor. HOWEVER, veggies only take about 15-20 minutes to sous vide, whereas a fish fillet may take from 30 to 45 minutes, so you're not going to sous vide them in the same bag. Plus, veggies actually need to cook at a higher temperature than some proteins, in order to get some of the fiber to break down (cleave).

Last edited:
I was just about to add that. Some of these posts suggesting the food is "pre-staged" would have you thinking they're popping plates into a microwave. Thanks!

As far as sous vide, you wouldn't place the veggies in the bag with the protein as it is a slow-cooking process at lower temps and would turn some vegetables to mush, and leave others like asparagus. carrots, or broccoli stems rock hard. As an example, you sous vide fish at around 130F.

So clearly I am no chef. But any way around it...

No - the fish was not a microwave dish. It was clearly something they prepare.
That said the fish was already prepared with the veggie.
So the chef had to make a new fish not with the veggies and had to sear it since it would not have had time to cook the way it was *supposed* to be prepared.

Does that make sense?

So the chef had to make a new fish not with the veggies and had to sear it since it would not have had time to cook the way it was *supposed* to be prepared.

Does that make sense?
It made sense the first time. The point was to others who were going off on a pre-staged tangent, as if Steakhouse 71 is pulling plates out of a walk-in and nuking them. That's all.

DizzyDizney suggested that it might be prepared "en papillotte", or wrapped together and baked as a possible explanation of why the vegetables might be prepared "with" the fish (as opposed to prepared and plated separately). I was simply responding to the tangential question regarding a sous vide preparation, that's all.

En papillotte requires baking, so if a veggie substitute was requested, then searing the fish separately would make sense. Pan searing would only take maybe 3 minutes per side. Of course, in a professional kitchen there may be some "prepping" of the papillottes, but regardless the baking process takes considerably longer than searing.

Last edited:

Does that make sense?
Made complete sense the first time. It was very impressive that the chef went out if his way to make something different. Kudos to the wait staff too. As the other poster mentioned, it seemed like others were under the impression that the food was carted over from central cooking and then microwaved. I have been checking out the menu for there on a regular basis since I’m trying to get a reservation there and noticed that’s how the fish is prepared.

And thanks again for posting your recap of your trip. I know things are not perfect in Disney and I’ve been upset at the price increases and all that (and it’s not just there, but everywhere...gas by me went up 20 cents in two days and nobody came out to wash my windshield and check the oil). But if I’m that dissatisfied I can sell all my contracts and make a tidy profit, and if I did so I would not make a point of hanging around here. I’d be happy to take the money and run.

I will note that most of the staff is not fresh, but hails from The Wave including our server Joseph.

I don't mean they haven't been working I mean they are new to the restaurant (wave and steakhouse 71 are different restaurants). Any time you change a job, role, location there is always a little extra oomph.

Its just human nature because you are excited about something new.

So I just got back from our 7 day October trip (including the 50th). Of course, these boards are recently ripe with reports of the service declining, so wanted to give my experience.

The night we arrived, we had a reservation to eat at Steakhouse 71. Steakhouse 71 had been opened now for 10 days, so I would expect they are still shaking things out and was ready to have to give them a bit of a pass. We checked in, and first I have to say - I was expecting to not enjoy the décor. However, I found I liked it! In any event, we were kept waiting for a ridiculous 5 minutes before we were seated at our table. But our terrible experience there was just beginning.

Now, DW really wanted the fish, but did not want the veggie it came with. She asked if she could get a substitute. Our waiter, Joseph, said he would have to check with the chef. He came back and told us that the fish comes pre-packaged in a steam bag with the veggie. I was prepared for the next statement- that he would suggest they bring the fish and add the extra veggie as a side. But NO. They had the audacity to state that the chef suggested he could make her a unique Fish dish with her suggested veggie, but he would have to sear it since it would take too long to steam. HOW DARE HE? And being open 10 days, I am sure it was hectic back there and no one knew what they were doing. ABSURD!

Okay... I can't keep up pretending to be mad.... Sorry. They were terrific. It was amazing to me that the chef would be willing to do that - especially during a new opening. It would have been more than reasonable to just give her a side... Hats off to the chef and our waiter Joseph for going above and beyond. (Most places I have eaten would have just given her a side). It was also delicious if you are wondering. Also, the bacon and eggs was a truly religious experience. All in all, it was a terrific meal. Joseph also was able to accurately describe every dish and drink on the menu. It was clear he had actually tasted them all and was not just speaking from a menu. He also gave me a great menu recommendation - different than what I thought I wanted, but he was right.

Let's see.... We ate at Le Cellier later in the trip. DW has injured her knee just before the trip and was unable to walk, so I was pushing her in a wheelchair. Me being a stupid, idiotic man - did not drink enough. Our waitress (who's name escapes me) was very insistent that I drink, and drink, and drink some more. She watched me and monitored. She gave me time for my stomach to settle before bringing the food. She brought us extra bread as well. The kicker though was when the front desk lady came back to see us and told us she was getting off her shift and wanted to check and make sure DW would be able to make it back up the ramp to her wheelchair or if she could get us some assistance before she left. The chef came out and asked how we enjoyed our meal; which was very nice of him.

I can give you a dozen more stories this past week. Suffice it to say that EVERYONE without reproach was terrific. There was only one issue we had which I will save for another thread and that was with a manager who never came out to talk to us. However, the manager I DID talk to was visibly frustrated that we experienced the issue and made a lot of calls to make sure to bring it up to the people above him and went above and beyond in making sure our remaining stay was uneventful. I have reported that issue to Disney. But overall, every CM that we had contact with was wonderful beyond words -including the staff at Chef Mickey's. Ohana, security staff, resort staff, and merchandise.

If there is a decline in Disney service, I feel for those of you who have experienced it... but it did not happen to me this trip.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience!

We were in WDW for 16 days this past month. I unfortunately don't have the time to describe every scenario but I can confirm that it was very clear to us that all of the CMs, whether at our resort or in the parks, were trying to put forth the best service possible. All of those we encountered were amazing, but then again it's a two way street. We also made it a point to express our thanks and appreciation to them. Our experience wasn't exactly the same based on the obvious circumstances, but again, we didn't observe any drop in service.

We had a 5 day trip in the beginning of October. Had a bad dining experience at Narcoossee's and was not happy with the $145 custom cake for our 20th anniversary (basically threw it out). BUT, we had a bus driver one evening who went out of his way for us (and others) and an employee at the LEGO store was just excellent with my daughter.

In general I dislike the direction Chapek and leadership is heading but we're heading home today and found that individual cast members were still fantastic. I miss some of the system level perks like airline luggage check a lot but the cast members, especially in the resorts were amazing.

In general I dislike the direction Chapek and leadership is heading but we're heading home today and found that individual cast members were still fantastic. I miss some of the system level perks like airline luggage check a lot but the cast members, especially in the resorts were amazing.

100%. And the servers! I cannot say enough great things about some of the servers I've had lately. Both in Disney and in Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter