• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DC’s On The DC – Triple D’s First Cruise and Lil D’s First Trip To The World

Chapter 4: Day at Sea (Monday)
While we are asleep we set sail for sea. At 4:30 AM we begin the journey to the ocean. As it turns out we had to have 4 tugs guide the Dream through the port. It took them just under an hour to get the ship roped up, secure to the tugs and then guided through the channel (word was that this was the first time the Dream ever needed tugs to make it through the port.

PortCanaveralAerialView.jpg

By 5:30 we were in open waters and I awoke with a start. I would’ve thrown open the sash, but I didn’t want to wake DD asleep in the fold-out bed. I could feel the mighty engines churning away as the Dream tried to make headway

Specifically, Disney Dream has altogether five medium speed MAN diesel engines (three 12-cylinder 48/60CR engines, plus two 14-cylinder versions) linked to two Converteam 19 MW propulsion motors, driving twin propellers to give a service speed of 22 knots. MAN's Common Rail (CR) fuel injection system not only makes the ship IMO exhaust gas emission compliant, it also promises a soot-free ride, even at start up and under low engine loads.​
DreamEngines.jpg

From Maritimepropulsion.com​

So, in other words the Dream can go up to 25.3171468 mph. That’s not real fast to you and me, but when the waters are rough, you sure can tell. As I said, I woke with a start… we are underway!!! I was as excited as kid on Christmas morning. I look out from the veranda and see the lights of the mainland disappear in the distance. I quickly threw on my shorts and a shirt and head out. I go down one flight to deck 4 starboard side to see what I can see. The ship is already abuzz with activity as the cleaning crews are hard at work prepping the vessal for our “day at sea”. We leave the storm clouds in our wake while we ride out the choppy seas. You don’t really notice the up and down motion of the ship until you look over the railing and see the horizon and then you notice..”we’re going at a good clip and the Captain is really trying to make hay and get out of Dodge” (thought to self, since I’m the only one around at this hour). A few souls are out running so I decide to take a few laps (walking) around deck 4 and see the sites. I then pop up to deck 11 to grab a quick cup of coffee and then on up to the forward portion of the Dream on deck 13. What a great view from here.

(This is where I would add pictues, very many pictures) Let’s just call this foreshadowing.

I love watching the ship come to life after the evening we had. The hustle and bustle of all the CM’s is phenomenal. As hard as they are working they still stop to say Hi, you just can’t beat that.

Now it was time for room service to deliver a few munchies for 1st Breakfast to our room so I head on back down as the sun was coming up over the ocean. The seas were still a little rough and once I got back in the cabin I could feel it. The funniest bit was when DD got up she couldn’t even walk straight, it was as if her head weighed 100 pounds…smack right on to the mattress on the main bed. DW had to hold her on the toilet even. DW was not fairing much better either. Another reason to order from room service, just to even out the blood sugar for the girls. Me, I can go tell lunch without food…not wise, but I can. I stepped in the shower and I was getting jostled around big time…this was definitely an ‘E’ ticket ride.

Here is where if you have any inkling for even the remoteness of “seasickness” then you will want to invest in some Bonine, Dramamine, or the Patch. I started with Bonine and then moved to the patch, but by the end of the cruise, I couldn’t read close up because of the patch so it made things rather difficult. I probably would’ve been fine without it though.​

I then get DD ready for the KC, as it turns out, the rest of the ship was feeling the effects of the rough ocean. We can’t get to calm waters fast enough. On the way back to the room after dropping off DD I notice a lady in front of me carrying several, what I assume are FE gifts. Sure enough she is looking for rooms and I guide her in the right direction….why not, she is bringing gifts to us! By now DW is ready so we go pick up DD and head out to deliver a few FE trinkets.

Chapter 4: Day at Sea (Monday)
While we are asleep we set sail for sea. At 4:30 AM we begin the journey to the ocean. As it turns out we had to have 4 tugs guide the Dream through the port. It took them just under an hour to get the ship roped up, secure to the tugs and then guided through the channel (word was that this was the first time the Dream ever needed tugs to make it through the port.
Wow, when I think back to how smooth our trip out of port was - I just can't imagine how rough that water was!:scared1:

Specifically, Disney Dream has altogether five medium speed MAN diesel engines (three 12-cylinder 48/60CR engines, plus two 14-cylinder versions) linked to two Converteam 19 MW propulsion motors, driving twin propellers to give a service speed of 22 knots. MAN's Common Rail (CR) fuel injection system not only makes the ship IMO exhaust gas emission compliant, it also promises a soot-free ride, even at start up and under low engine loads.
I soooo want to get my hands on one of these so I can upgrade the minivan!

I look out from the veranda and see the lights of the mainland disappear in the distance. I quickly threw on my shorts and a shirt and head out.
Wait, what were you wearing on the veranda?!?:eek:

(This is where I would add pictues, very many pictures) Let’s just call this foreshadowing.
Uh oh. :confused:

DW had to hold her on the toilet even.
Time to install seat belts! (Or thrown belts, as the case may be)

I soooo want to get my hands on one of these so I can upgrade the minivan!
I can see it now

Wait, what were you wearing on the veranda?!?:eek:
I reread that last night and thought...na...nobody will catch that, should've known you would. PJ's, or what guys call PJ's, shorts and such...I had to put on civil clothes to go out. Sheeeez!:lmao:

Yea, I'll let the suspense build on that one...

Time to install seat belts! (Or thrown belts, as the case may be)
Too funny, I had DD reinact the walk for me last night, great fun.:laughing:

As it turns out we had to have 4 tugs guide the Dream through the port.

Wow…
Tugged out of Canaveral? If they couldn’t keep her in the channel with thrusters, the winds must have been right ferocious.

The geek in me loves this picture
Now I’m looking forward to seeing how Barry is going to stuff one of those into the Mini-Van of Doom

I was as excited as kid on Christmas morning.

“We’re too excited to sleep!”

I quickly threw on my shorts and a shirt and head out.

Good choice.
Believe me when I say that there are folks onboard that might actually forget this all-important and family friendly step (even on a Disney ship).

You don’t really notice the up and down motion of the ship until you look over the railing and see the horizon and then you notice..”

You’re moving and the water is moving, so relative motion is greatly exaggerated (and you brain will buy into it in a skinny minute).
Einstein at work.

A few souls are out running so I decide to take a few laps (walking) around deck 4 and see the sites.

Walk would be my speed as well. If I wanted to be miserable, I’d have stayed at home and gone in to work.

The funniest bit was when DD got up she couldn’t even walk straight, it was as if her head weighed 100 pounds…smack right on to the mattress on the main bed.

That’s officially far heavier seas then I’ve encountered while cruising.
This is turning into quite the adventure.
Hopefully they’ll get y’all into calmer waters in the near.

On the way back to the room after dropping off DD I notice a lady in front of me carrying several, what I assume are FE gifts. Sure enough she is looking for rooms and I guide her in the right direction….why not, she is bringing gifts to us!

Goes with out saying.
Great update Dave. Looking forward to the next installment (and some of those pictures).

Here is what we gave away…

Cruise magnet and CD for the Adults, per cabin
IMG_0326-1.jpg

Close up of the Magnet.

OCTOBER2011DreamCruise-1.jpg

Various Gifts and Goodies for the kiddos.

A sampling that the younger ones recieved
IMG_0323-1.jpg

and some of the items for the older boys and girls
IMG_0320-1.jpg

Magnets, pins and pencils​

We received some awesome items. Some we are still using today and it’s nice to see the items around the house to remind us of our trip.

We decided to break up our deliver between several days starting with the lower decks and working our way up. Next time I will start from the top of the ship and work my way down. Why? Not sure, just sounds like a better routine and I would try to finish it all in one day if possible too.

We also had our door covered with magnets. I had a lot of fun putting these together and everyone who ventured by really enjoyed our door.

Definitely a good call by the skipper to stay in port. Rough seas are no fun! Too many bad things can happen. It's amazing how flexible they are with weather. Seems like a backup plan is always in place.

Sorry your DD was having such a rough time!

Here is what we had on our door. I put differently ones up each day, but below are the ones that were on it every day

Our everyday ones.
Dave-1-1.jpg
DARLA-1-1-1.jpg
DANA-2.jpg

Haveyouseenourpeople-1.jpg
This one was great and I want to thank DisneyZell on the boards for the idea. We could hear people in the hall commenting on it and one day two older ladies were outside our door looking at it and just craking up over the picture of our animals missing us. We put this magnet on the lower part of the door and the best part was next door there was a little 3 year old boy who would come by every time and look at the door and we could hear him hitting the door and saying “Doggy Head!”, so now that is a running joke in our family to proclaim ‘doggy head’ whenever we are patting our dog.

A few of the first/second day ones.

DDDLivingTheDream.jpg
WelcomeAboardDream-1.png
FirstCruisesorcerermickeymh-1-1.jpg
ComptonMagazine-cover-4.jpg
2011_Disney_Cruise_line-1.jpg

and the map of our cruise, which stayed up everyday.

Map_DCL_3_4_Night-1.jpg

Day 3 we mixed it up a bit with these.

DDandDBeachcopy-1.jpg
Dreampic-1.jpg
SorcererMickey3D-1.jpg

And these we added for Castaway Cay day.
TheComptons-1.jpg
Dream2011-1.jpg
justchillin-1-1.jpg
Mickeyglobecruise-1.jpg

We added these later in the day for day 4.​

untilwemeetagain-1.jpg

And these we kept on the inside of the door.

sorrywereonvacation-18-1.jpg
trooper-1.jpg

Why on the inside of the door...well that was the part we saw the most and DD wanted to put all of the magnets we made up, so we rotated them each day. Kinda a cool idea of the kiddo.

And another for DD.
DanaMariefill-1.jpg

And this one I made about 80 of these and handed out around 40 or more to all the FE and the rest I placed on other peoples doors that we’re decorated and to various friends we met on board.
dis-dads-icon-highres-colored2-1.png

A big thanks to the creative ideas and help from those on the door magnet thread, you were all a big help.:thanks: I couldn't have done it without you.

We also had a Simba :simba:ears for around our door number and this looked really good.
simbaearsdisneycruisedoor.jpg

Good looking magnets, Dave! You wouldn't happen to have the Storm Trooper one a little bit bigger so I can stick it on my door next March, do you?

The Simba ears are cool - really unique.:thumbsup2

Good looking magnets, Dave! You wouldn't happen to have the Storm Trooper one a little bit bigger so I can stick it on my door next March, do you?

The Simba ears are cool - really unique.:thumbsup2

Barry - I PM'ed you on the other place the direct link for the Trooper...let me know if that works/doesn't work and I can get you another one.

So you cruising again next March?:thumbsup2

michael-j-fox-as-teenwolf.jpg
We pick DD up, but she is having so much fun in the KC that she vows to be back to it within an hour. Delivering the items was fun, but it takes a lot longer than we thought, but it is a great way to see the ship and all the cool interactive artwork that each deck and stairwell has.

We head back to the cabin to stow the rest of the items we couldn’t deliver and get ready for pool time and the AquaDuck (AD). Today is our day at sea day and the top deck is packed. AquaDuck is on a 45 minute wait, but what else do you have to do…so we wait in line for the AD. A good hour later we get our chance to ride. It took the line awhile because they had to shut down the tube in order to unstuck someone too light to be riding their own tube. (note to anyone…just rock the tube side to side if stuck, you will get loose and not have to shut down the ride…unless that is what you are after?) The AD is great fun. I rode with DD and had a great time. Be sure to wave as you fly over all the people down below you as you go by.

The rest of the afternoon we just let DD play and splash around in the Mickey pool. It took us awhile to find some seats but most of the people were very nice and would let us know if they were done using their chairs or noticed that no one was using any of the nearby ones. It was great to just sit there and watch DD and DW and I would try to guess the Funnelvision trivia. From here we tried out several of the eating fares. By all means try the Bacon and Brie sandwich form Fillmore's Favorites. The Ice Cream is good from Eye Scream as well. We also indulged in the chicken strips which are very good. All in all it was great afternoon.

During one of DW trips to the food area, typical of her and her Texas upbringing (where there is no such thing as a stranger) she runs into a mom from DD’s school back in Colorado. Turns out they have a son the same age as DD and in the same grade. DD knows their older daughter too (like mother/like daughter, no strangers here). So she stops by with her whole family and we meet and get to talking, turns out they don’t live too far from us and they just booked the trip a few weeks before and they plan to go the WDW afterwards too.

By now it is time to go get ready for dinner and the evening. Have I mentioned how great the KC are? Once again we get DD ready first and ship her down there while we get ready. Since tonight was the show Villians and DD isn’t into that aspect of Disney very much I just elect to watch it in the room and just relax and take in the great cabin.
Off to dinner we go. Tonight we are in the Enchanted Garden. We end up with seats all the way in the back next to the kitchen door way. We great our tablemates and they have us sitting, Adults on one side, in a booth, and the kiddos in chairs. DD gets the usual fare…Mac & cheese w/ a chicken strip.
DW - North Atlantic Lobster Ravioli - with roasted garlic and sweet basil in a light tomato broth. Followed by the Baby Spinach Salad - tender spinach tossed with fresh sliced seasonal pears, toasted pine nuts and crumbled gorgonzola. For the main course we both chose the Pan-seared Sea Bass - with Saffron and fennel risotto with a sweet chili glaze. Our server was very pleased that we made this choice. DW ended it all with the Sweet Temptations selection again, tonight it was a trio of Esterhazy Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Chocolate Silk Mousse.

ME – I started with the Thyme and Garlic Brioche - filled with Chanterelle, Hedgehog and Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Leek Stew in a light buttermilk cream and I went with the Romaine Wedge - fresh crisp romaine topped with creamy Romano dressing and homemade spiced croutons. I selected the Esterhazy Cake - almond meringue soaked in maraschino liqueur and layered pastry cream.
Little did I know that this was to be First Desert. Second Desert was a special made little plate of scrumptious cubes of delight made by the chef. This was brought to us by the Head Server Fitz. Turns out, he noticed that we did not have anyone to talk with during our meal and he felt sorry for us. He ended up spending a lot of time at our table just talking to us and he was glad to be able to talk to us. He told us all about his homeland in Hungary and how each time he goes home he gets to enjoy making the Hungarian liquor (Zwack). The other table mates’ children were quite un-ruly during dinner too and he apologized for this as well. He didn’t have to, that was not his fault. By this time, our DD had already taken off to the KC. Love it that and hour in, during second seating the counselors whisk the kids away. Then comes Third Desert. Like we have any room for that. At least we had the fish. Another Assistant Server brings us a plate of Mickey bars from none other than our TA Prattpak who it is sitting across the way enjoying themselves. I go and thank him and our Assistant Server tells me that we will get him back the next night and tells me he will think up something special for them.

We roll ourselves out of there and go to check on DD. She is doing great so we decide to go check out some of the adult areas of the ship known as The District. Who do we run into, but the couple minus their children from our neck of the world. They had just finished some drinks and were on their way to pick up their kids. We decided to try to meet up the next night. We checked out Skyline, very cool, but very pricy drinks. Pink was nice, but nobody was in there. Evolutions was starting to pick up as it was 70’s night :-)scared1:) I do recommend checking out the restrooms in The District though. Well time to pick up DD as tomorrow is Nassau and our day at Atlantis and another adventure, time for bed.

Of course the family is very tired, but I cannot sleep. Good thing I loaded the iPad up with movies. Tonight’s offering….Teen Wolf. That’s right, the 1985 flick staring Michael J. Fox.

Once again I wake up with a start. I can feel the ships engines slowing down as we glide into Nassau. It is simply awesome to see and feel the ship turn 180 degrees and back into its berth. I requested an early coffee service to the room and they arrived right on time, time for me to sit on the veranda and enjoy the sunrise over Atlantis as we turn. Before long the ship is settled and the girls are up and getting ready. I also ordered some extra ditty’s for first breakfast for the girls. Donuts for DD and toast and fruit for DW.

DD and I head out to deliver more FE’s while DW gets ready. It was a fun Daddy/Daughter time and once again we ended up checking out the interactive art and just getting to know the ship.

By now DW is ready too, it is time to head up to Cabanas for Second Breakfast. We really enjoyed the selection and offerings at Cabanas. I’m a pineapple nut and I could never get enough, plus having a very picky eater in DD, it was great for her. There was at least always something she could eat, especially the bacon. We ate outside and we were able to sit and observe Atlantis off in the distance where the rest of our days adventures would be.

Now it is time to head off to Atlantis. I elected to be cheap and not go through the DCL shore excursions and instead choose to get the Atlantis Aquaventure through the Comfort Suites Paradise Island. This entails us getting our own transportation to there. So this was an interesting excursion. After we wait for about 20 minutes we finally get a cab. What took so long to get the cab? So we talk to one guy. He then adds you to a list, he then has to find others who need to go the same direction, they then walk you through a gauntlet of braid hawkers “braids for the girl”…too funny. We then get into a little van. Word to the wise, no AC, no nothing, you’ve been warned. So the fare is not bad, $4 per person. Give them $15 or round up and they will love you for it. The driver does tell us a little about the surroundings and pointed to the key places to shop.

We then get to the Comfort Suites. During this time they were undergoing some renovations and the lobby was not the lobby. We follow some handmade signs to the “lobby” that direct us to a makeshift room. So the room is laid out with a big table with computers, and two girls working the desk. Once again, the AC is clearly not on, the room is stifling for ten in the morning. DD and DW find a spot to sit in the back of the room and I get in line. There are two people in front of us. No problem. Turns out, they are holding the line for several other women and their daughters and so the line of 2 turns into a line of 8 (Carnival cruisers, definitely not Disney). 45 minutes later I get to the desk. Thank goodness I had booked the “room” before hand.
So here I just want to go into the Comfort Suite Paradise Island process for the Atlantis Aquaventure. The Comfort Suites (CS) shares the same property as the Atlantis. With that being said, If you book a room at the CS you are then allowed a day pass granting full access to the Atlantis pools, slides, rides, and aquariums. You do not technically get a room, unless you ask for one. Why you would need one? Not sure?? They know what you are doing and your intent. So whether you book the “room” beforehand or not, I don’t think it matters too much. It did save us a little time during check-in though. At least they have your information already and you do not have to fill out too many more forms. The cost savings? I would say this saved us a little over $100, considering going this route we still had to pay for transportation to and from, lunch and any snacks, it might be a wise route for a smaller family. Of course we didn’t get the quoted rate of the room, it was slightly higher plus they sneek in some resort fees and the like. If you book the Atlantis Aquaventure through DCL, included in the cost is transportation to and from Atlantis (in an AC motor coach, so they say) and lunch vouchers. Now if you do book through DCL, they know where you are and you are limited to their time. You must arrive at the transportation they provide on time and the times they list. All in all, if I were to do this again, I might give the CS another chance, but for the sheer convenience and ease, I would elect to book the excursion through DCL.
“Room” all booked, we then receive instructions in order to get the day pass. We have to walk across the majority of the Atlantis resort, through the shops, around or through the casino, through the lobby down the stairs to the Aquaventures desk in order to get the pass. We get there and I was so intent at this point in getting this all down, I didn’t take time to really take in the whole Atlantis atmosphere. It really is a beautiful hotel, but once you’ve been to Vegas, they all start to look alike. Once we are at the desk in order to get the day pass wrist bands the attendant just ran out. So she has to go all the way across the hall and up the stairs to the central office in order to get more. As we wait again. This just took around 20 minutes though. Once again we are reminded that the Disney experience I equals top-notch customer service….this clearly has not been a morning of that at all.

Day pass in hand or should I say wrist. We head over to check out some of the aquariums and the main one known as “The Dig”. Turns out the aquariums are very spread out throughout the Atlantis property and we could never find a map telling us just were to go. So we give up and try our luck at the water attractions. The lazy river is first up and this is anything, but lazy. It is actually great fun and takes a while to get through it. After that we then go to check out some of the food offerings. We went with a fish and chips shack over by the Atlantis beach. Not bad, I had to try the conch fritters just because. DW went with the fish and DD went crazy on the fires. We then go to check out the beach and step in the warm Bahaman surf. Be warned, once you step on the beach you are off Atlantis property and it is a little harry. Let’s just say the locals are very pushy and not that friendly. We hang out there for a bit and then we go splash around some more in the pools, then go to check out what we could see of the dolphin habitat. Then it is time to get back to the docks. One note, having a six year old made the rides and slides rather difficult and I would not advise getting too much out of it with a little kiddo. Another cab ride adventure, where we have to wait for enough people to fill up the van, then the only route back to the docks is through some of the…more interesting sides of Nassau. Getting off and on the ship is easy, they just asked for my Drivers License (not DW’s though) at the port and your KTTWC (Room Key).

Once back on board we get DD ready and I take her to the KC. I decide to enjoy the veranda once again and observe the ship docked across the way, the Carnival Sensation. It was fun to watch the stragglers get back on board the Dream. One thing I noticed is I could tell we were getting ready to cast off, but there was a problem below, turns out the ship was missing one family. Within minutes, a golf cart comes rolling up with the family and they rush them on board. A minute later we cast off. We get out to sea very fast as they want to make sure we get to open waters for the fireworks.

The show tonight is a puppeteer, no real interest in that. We then pick up DD and get her outfitted for Pirate night (sure wish I could add some pictures here of this…foreshadowing, don’t ask). It was fun to see how much some people get duded up for this evening. We didn’t too much, but the DW wore a lot of gold.

I couldn’t wait for dinner though. The food offerings looked wonderful. We were in Royal Palace for this evening. One item to note is that all the dining rooms have the same menu on this night.

DW – She chose the Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake - with golden raisin-carrot and coconut slaw served with a spicy Calypso dressing and the Jerk Chicken Salad - jerk-seasoned chicken strips over fresh crispy greens with a citrus dressing and plantain chips. For the main course she chose the Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut-dusted Mahi Mahi - Jasmine rice and sautéed pineapple on a mild curry sauce. DW ended it with the Banana-Chocolate Crepe - with mango coulis and coconut.

ME – I started with the Crab Cake as well and the Caribbean-style Conch Chowder - with sherry, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, thyme, and garnished with diced potatoes and crispy bacon bits. For the main course I elected to go with two entrees, the Treasures of the Seas Grilled Shrimp and Seared Scallops - served on strings of pasta and fresh creamy tomato sauce and the Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip. For dessert I went with the Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake - with raspberry glaze and whipped cream.

DD – yea, same thing as before….simply amazing. Loved the mac and cheese.
As the dinner was wrapping up, our Assistant Server comes up with a plate full of Mickey Bars drizzled in chocolate syrup and tiny Mickey candies, all to be served to our TA and friend Mark “Prattpak” Pratt’s table. One drawback of having the late seating for dinner is that you might miss out on some of the ship activities. Right after dinner we head back to the room to finish off delivering the FE’s then we pick up DD for the Pirate party, Mark sent us a note on the wave phone and he had picked out a great spot on the deck 12 starboard side. We packed a bunch of glow necklaces and bracelets for the kiddos during this. It is fun to pass these out to all the kids standing around. The show was neat; I think all the kids enjoyed it, especially calling Capt. Hook a cod fish.

42d05f50.jpg

37c25ca2.jpg

DW then camps out a spot on deck 13 forward, starboard side to get a good spot for the fireworks.

d65c9498.jpg

I take DD down to the KC due to her sensory issues she cannot deal with fireworks very well and I quickly get back to the excellent spot DW had picked for the fireworks.

6c813a7b.jpg

Soon after we get a text from the KC, DD is ready to be picked up. She is hungry, well we are too late for anything at the Pirate Buffet, but they still have pizza at the Luigi’s Pizza. Couple of slices of cheese for her and she is good to go. We then head back to the room and I figure I might as well try the chicken wings from room service…what does anyone else want? Couple cookies and another fruit plate, will do. Plus, I order some breakfast for in the morning, decaf for me and some toast for DW & DD. DW found that having this delivered first thing in the morning was a life saver, plus a time saver. What’s on tap for tonight’s iPad viewing? The 1986 Billy Crystal/Gregory Hines flick

220px-Runningscaredposter.jpg

Running Scared

(what, what’s that you say? He included some pictures in his TR finally? Yea, well, more to that…you see, the movie I picked was Running Scared after all.)

Chapter 6: Castaway Cay Day (Wednesday)
Oh the day started with such promise. What a treat. To be on Disney’s own private island today. As usual I wake with a start. I’m amazed that being 5 floors up I can still feel the shift of the engines and when they thrust to turn us around for docking. As it turns out we will be on the docks side again. It was really cool to see the canons they use to shoot the lines out so the crew on shore can tie up the vessel. They half scared me and almost made me spill my morning cup of coffee.

We get ready quickly and head up to Cabanas for some more tasty treats.

DSC04411.jpg

I really liked the breakfast selection here and can never get enough pineapple. They have now given the all clear to go ashore and we get downstairs to get our stuff and head out.

Everything I had read said go to the far family beach. Well, it was 9 AM and it was packed. The first family beach was just as busy too. Oh well, we found a spot and then we venture over to Castaway Ray’s for the Stingray Adventure. This has to be to coolest thing. First you sit in a room and learn all about Stingrays and the ones at Castaway Cay that you will soon be feeding. The barbs have been trimmed from the stingrays so everything is safe. We then go out to these neat U-shaped feeding apparatuses and stand in knee deep water as the guide guides the stingrays up and onto the feeding platform. You hold the food between your fingers with the palms facing down and the food between your fingers on the backside of your hand, the Rays navigate over you and just suck up the food…very cool! After you feed them for a bit it is then free time to put on the goggles, fins and snorkel and swim around with the rays for the rest of the hour. This was a lot of fun and I definitely would recommend this. DD had a tougher time with touching the rays due to her sensory issues, but she still enjoyed seeing the wildlife and being so close in the water to these elegant creatures.

We then head back to where we left some of our stuff and get our floats to just hang out for the rest of the day. We then run into our new found friends from back home and we end up spending the rest of the day on CC with them. I float the kids out to the water platform at the first family beach. They found this platform fun, but way too deep for them (they were ages 6 to 8). I then float them back to the beach and they now want to go over to Pelican Plunge, another water platform with 2 slides.

IMG_0067.jpg

Of course I had to try the slide first for the kids.
IMG_0071.jpg

Then lil d.
IMG_0073.jpg

So we get them out to this and let them take a plunge. It is now time for lunch and we head up to Cookie's Too Bar-B-Q and enjoy a nice feast of burgers, hot dogs and some really good fish. Nothing really stood out here, but the cookies are very good and the ice cream wasn’t bad either. It was nice having the refillable soda fountain as well.
The rest of the afternoon we just hang out on the beach and let the kids play.

DSC04405.jpg

DSC04398.jpg

DSC04396.jpg

I really like this pic that our friends took!

IMG_0077.jpg

A little while later while I was in the surf with the kids I must’ve upset a bed of sea lice, Beverly those suckers really sting. The mom we were hanging with got stung too.

We stay out for a little longer and then head back to the boat.

DSC04408.jpg

DSC04409.jpg

I stop by the medical center to get a tube of hydrocortisone cream. They tell me that it will do the trick, I sure hope so. Once back in the room we have to get our heads around the fact that we will be leaving this splendor in the morning. Time to start packing up and get ready for tonight’s show…Believe.

So, throughout this TR I’ve been hinting at the fact that I didn’t have very may photos to share and there is a reason for that.

I proceed to go wash off my arm which is still stinging and apply the ointment. I then hear a thud come from the balcony. I come out of the wash room to see my DW looking over the railing and piecing together what just happened. Well, our day bag got some muffin/cookie crumbles in the bottom and she proceeded to dump the bag of the railing…little did she know, our camera was in an outside pocket of the bag. Camera overboard…………..

Wow, this really hit us hard too. Our first cruise and all the pictures, lost. Well, DW went to Guest Services in order to see what, if anything could be done. They took our names and information and tried to console the DW, but stressed not much could be done. Later that evening the head of GS came by and offered us an 8x10 from shutters, signed by the Captain (who was very concerned).

SCAN0058.jpg

(After we got home DCL GS called us and reported that they not only sent divers down once, but twice looking for the camera. This is why we do Disney….PERIOD. They said that in order to allow the Dream to dock at CC they had to drudge up the dock area extra deep and when the ship leaves it really churns up the sea a lot and there is no telling where it could be. She did tell us that watches and jewelry have washed ashore years later and they were able to reunite the owners with their belongings. So we have that hope.)
DD and I head off to check out Believe and we end up sitting next to our new found friends, well their kiddos anyway. I have to tell you. I was a little distracted so my enjoyment of Believe was waning, but I think this is one of the better show on DCL. After the show I drop off my Gratuities to the Room Steward and he is even aware of the situation. We have to get the luggage out and into the hall by 8:30 for pick-up or else you’ll be carrying it around the next morning. Be this time I was starting to feel the effects of the seasickness patch I was wearing…it was making it so I couldn’t read anything close and the thing was dilating my pupils. We then go to dinner; tonight we are back in Royal Palace. It was funny because I had to place the menu on the other side of the table in order to read it.
Once again, the kiddo ordered the usual fare…Mac & Cheese.

DW - Double Baked Spinach Soufflé - coated with a three cheese cream, the Avocado-Citrus Salad with Iceberg and Radicchio leaves and an orange vinaigrette, for the main course she went surf again with the Oven-Baked Salmon Royale - Crowned with King Smoked Salmon and horseradish crust accompanied by sautéed Swiss chard, truffle-infused cauliflower puree and white wine beurre blanc and dessert was the Peanut Butter Mousse - dark chocolate infused with peanut butter, chiffon cake, and whipped cream.

ME – I chose the Iced Lobster and Jumbo Shrimp - white and green asparagus, micro greens, and lemon-dill dressing with horseradish cream (not the best), Royal Market Green Salad - cherry tomato, cucumbers, peppered goat cheese, and a raspberry vinaigrette (okay, the goat cheese wasn’t bad). The main course for me was the Royal Palace Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Medallions - sauteed snow peas and marquis potatoes with a cognac reduction (pretty good). Dessert was the Tahitian Vanilla Crème Brulee with Macaroon ( I should’ve ordered a second of these).
DD fell asleep at dinner and luckily our dinner guest didn’t show up so we had the whole table to ourselves and the wait staff to spend more time with us. The day took it out of her and after dinner we took her back for her last time in the KC (she asked to go) while we went to check out the Vista Gallery (which I wanted one of everything in there). It was rather strange, but it was around 10:30/11 and the ship seemed deserted. Guess everyone has the early Breakfast? Actually the day took it out of all of us. I have to say, having CC day on the last day really did us in and others we talked to as well. It would’ve been nice having the CC day on day two and following it up with a day at sea for a bit of rest. I have to say though; all in all it will be sad to depart in the morning.

Sorry, no movie for tonight…the eyes still can’t focus. So I’ll end this post with a scene from one of my favorite movies.
Bruce-Die-Hard.jpg

Kind of how I felt at the time.

(I need to add a note of special thanks to our new found friends who later supplied us with some great pics of CC and of the Dream so we can keep the memories alive.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter