The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey

Is it just me......or was packing more fun the first time around?
It's not just you, my friend. Packing to go home royally sucks.

We were flying home on Frontier.
I've flown them once. I have no complaints about the airline, except the whole time I expected them to shout out, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeee HAW! Welcome, pardner, to Frontier Airlines. The roughest, toughest, wildest ride in the sky."

I view resort baggage check-in as a gift from heaven.
Because it is, Peter. It is.

Now, we would just have to check our bags the old-fashioned way.....at the airport.....which I detest.
That was an old gift from Hades.

the price difference between tickets for seven days versus eight days was like a nickel.
That is the work of those evil marketing geniuses...they know how to rope you into buying a eighty-day pass.

Anyway, our whole week had been in the 70's and 80's....which was not only a great era for music.....it also made for some very pleasant park touring conditions.
The 80s had the best music, no question. Ahh, the early days of MTV...when they actually played music...we were so young then.

like me on top of Mt Everest sharing a celebratory cigar with Mini Me and Dr. Evil.
Now THAT'S a picture worth posting.

people are like Hostess fruit pies. They both have an outer shell that you have to work through...in order to get to the goodness beneath. That's about as far as you should take the comparison however. If you try to package a person in one of those air-tight wrappers.....you're going to end up with a fairly unpleasant legal situation on your hands.....because when it's all said and done....people are not fruit pies.
Well, that took up a whole paragraph.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't joked about his tent....and whether he was compensating for something....because he abruptly dismissed us in icy silence.
Yeah, he doesn't really care for Freudian humor, I unfortunately discovered.

I've flown them once. I have no complaints about the airline, except the whole time I expected them to shout out, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeee HAW! Welcome, pardner, to Frontier Airlines. The roughest, toughest, wildest ride in the sky.".

You're right about that.....Frontier Airlines does have a certain rustic western flair that makes you want to slip on a pair of boots and chew tobacco. Plus, they've got those cool wildlife scenes on the tail of their planes. I believe our return flight was a polar bear.....or some type of goat.

That was an old gift from Hades..

What if eternal suffering turns out to be waiting forever in a long line at an airport ticket counter....and watching all the platinum club members get served?

That is the work of those evil marketing geniuses...they know how to rope you into buying a eighty-day pass..

Louie Anderson used to have a comedy routine about going into a 7-11 for a soda....and having to choose between the 12 oz cup....or a 55 gallon drum for a nickel extra. It's the same basic principle.

Now....we just sit back and wait to see how many people have ever heard of Louie Anderson....and host on the Family Feud doesn't count.

The 80s had the best music, no question. Ahh, the early days of MTV...when they actually played music...we were so young then..

Just don't pay too much attention to the lyrics. They had some real beauties like "smell like I sound....I'm lost in a crowd....and I'm hungry like a wolf" or "I wear my sunglasses at night...so I can, so I can....watch you leave...then breathe your story lines." Huh? Not exactly classic poety there....but it had a good beat....and you could dance to it.

Well, that took up a whole paragraph..

For too many years....I've hidden my views on fruit pies. I just felt something needed to be said.

Yeah, he doesn't really care for Freudian humor, I unfortunately discovered.

You too huh? Apparently, Mickey has no time for that psycho-babble nonsense. Hey Mickey....suppress much?

Wow what a great TR my fellow traveler from the time zone that the networks swear doesnt exist! I have enjoyed every minute, and have kept you on my 'would you like to restore you last internet session? Why YES' list for a week so I wouldnt lose my place!

Sorry to hear about Pal Mickey, but stuffed animatronic toys are fickle, and they are always chasing after rainbows, at least if the muppetts are to be believed.

Wow what a great TR my fellow traveler from the time zone that the networks swear doesnt exist! I have enjoyed every minute, and have kept you on my 'would you like to restore you last internet session? Why YES' list for a week so I wouldnt lose my place!

Sorry to hear about Pal Mickey, but stuffed animatronic toys are fickle, and they are always chasing after rainbows, at least if the muppetts are to be believed.

Thank you angelmav.....sounds like you have been busy catching up.

Alrighty! I am ALL caught up! Fantastic report.

It amazes me how well some people can tell a story and you are one of the great ones! I have just enjoyed the heck outta this story.

Looking forward to the grand finale! ...no matter how many chapters it takes. :)

Alrighty! I am ALL caught up! Fantastic report.

It amazes me how well some people can tell a story and you are one of the great ones! I have just enjoyed the heck outta this story.

Looking forward to the grand finale! ...no matter how many chapters it takes. :)

Thanks a lot.....that's very nice of you to say. Now I've just got to figure out how to end this thing.

Wow, last morning! I'm glad you packed the itinerary book though as your picture of Woobie and Mickey is very cute!!!

Not looking forward to the end of the story, but a pre=trip report would be great!!;)

Bye the way. Do you think it would be possible to post a copy of your Mt. Everest mini=you picture.:rotfl2: That was great!

so sad that this TR will soon be ending. It was a most entertaining read! I look forward to the next one....I so hope there will be a next one:goodvibes

:thumbsup2 for the "Miracle on 34th Street" martini reference!!!

I was wondering if there were any other fans out there.

Wow, last morning! I'm glad you packed the itinerary book though as your picture of Woobie and Mickey is very cute!!!

Not looking forward to the end of the story, but a pre=trip report would be great!!;)

Bye the way. Do you think it would be possible to post a copy of your Mt. Everest mini=you picture.:rotfl2: That was great!

Woobie always takes a great picture....if you can keep her from making a face. Maybe I'll see if Woobie will write a pre-trip report. She loves to write. In fact, she has already written six huge books that are saved on our home computer.

I've got a confession to make......I made the Everest thing up. But still....you've got to admit....it would be an awesome picture.

so sad that this TR will soon be ending. It was a most entertaining read! I look forward to the next one....I so hope there will be a next one:goodvibes

Thanks for wading through it. I'll have to wait and see how entertaining our next trip is.....before I decide whether or not to write another TR.

You can't leave us hanging like that. Your next trip will be entertaining for all of us that love Disney. And your writing will not disappoint! Please do another one. At least in Pal Mickey's memory.

Peter, you can admit it - completing this is prep for a PTR, right?

Mrs. Spratt

I loved the update. I am going to miss reading about your trip, you always make me smile with your updates.

I was hoping you would be finished with this report before I left for my trip, or at least by the time I got back. (Who am I kidding? Actually, I hoped it would never end.) But now I get to continue reading as if I never left - maybe that is better. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more installments and definitely a PTR for the December trip. We just got back and my wife is already planning our next trip for June of next year - this time a 10 day outing to try to fit more in. :woohoo: (Little does she know that we still won't be able to see everything.) She is starting to come over to the Dark Side to join the WDW-addicted like us! :earsboy:

Chpt 46 - Heading for Home (Part two)

Well....there was no escaping it now. The cold hard fact was....our vacation was winding down. Oh sure, it was a hard pill to swallow....but even in WDW you eventually have to face the harsh realities of life. When we signed up for this adventure.....we understood that there would be a final day.....and we had reached it.....simple as that. No, No.....be of good cheer. If WDW teaches us anything... it teaches us to accept our sadness....like our joy....with quiet dignity and grace. I believe it was at this point that I had started choking the statue of Walt Disney in front of the castle.....and screaming “I'll get you for this.......what did you do to me? I don't want to live.....I do not want to live." How's that for quiet dignity and grace?

We had one last little magical moment as we were passing by POTC. Tucked away off the beaten pack.....there was a little window. Sitting in this window, we saw Peter Pan with Wendy.....all by their lonesome. We had to give them the old double-take.....because it just seemed so weird to see them there....with no line of children or CM handlers. Tinkershell dug out DD Woobie’s autograph book....and we approached them cautiously....fanning out as we drew closer....so that we could rush them if they reached for their pixie dust. Peter Pan looked a little spooked.....so I spoke to him in low soothing tones....“easy there fella.....nobody’s gonna to hurt you”...before slipping him a sugar cube. It turned out that they had just been sitting in that little window....waiting for someone to notice them. Thankfully, the Panic Attacks are all born with exceptional peripheral vision. Anyway, our kids got them all to themselves.....because the near-sighted masses just kept streaming by....oblivious to our little patch of Neverland.

180_8020.jpg

On the bus back to POFQ, everybody was pretty tuckered out. We had logged a lot of miles in the last nine days.....and all of our collective dogs were barking. Granted....Tinkershell was in a little better shape than the rest of us.....because she had encased her feet in a protective cocoon of... (shudder)... moleskin every morning. Oh.....and the kids weren’t quite so bad off.....because they were young...and filled with vim and vigor. But, the rest of the family was really hurtin’.....and when I say "rest of the family"...I mean me. Don’t get me wrong.....it had been worth every step.....but it did felt good to sit. See....that’s why I feel like you’ve got to hit WDW hard. If you pace yourself.....you’ll never experience the joy of a good exhaustion-induced coma.

Back at POFQ, we grabbed some lunch in the food court.....and then headed to the Magical Express bus area to wait for our ride. This was the point in the trip where I got a taste of my own medicine.....which I detest....and where the heck was Mary Poppins with that spoon full of sugar when you need her anyway? I remembered back to the start of our vacation.....when we had all scampered off the bus.....and I had felt this incredible feeling of superiority over the pathetic losers sitting on the benches waiting to go home. It was like we had outsmarted them or something. Why on earth would they have chosen this to be their last day?.....when it could have been their first day....like us. Looking back on it.....I'd been so cocky then. Anyway, now we were the ones sitting on the pathetic losers bench. In a way....it was kind of like the circle of life.....except without the monkey with the fancy stick...holding up a new-born lion cub.

Just as was the case with packing......riding the Magical Express was not nearly as fun the second time. Plus, this time we didn’t have Pal Mickey pressing his nose to the window and counting all the swimming pools that we passed along the way. Alas, poor Pal Mickey. We had called the WDW lost and found number every morning.....but he was never recovered. I think the worst part was not knowing what happened. One thing was for sure.....he would be missed. It’s not often you’re blessed with a small furry friend who accepts you unconditionally....a friend who truly listens.....a friend who’s always there for you.

As our bus hummed along the highway.....I just closed my eyes..... and let all of the memories flood my mind. I remembered that fateful day on Mainstreet USA when we bought him.....and the day he blew out the candle on his first birthday cake......and the day I taught him to ride a bike......and the day I gave him my childhood baseball glove. Don't get me wrong....not all of the memories were rosey. I also remembered the day he had broken a favorite vase....even though mom always said, don't play ball in the house. But, isn't that exactly how life works? Pal Mickey had his ups and downs....just like the rest of us. That's what made him human......ish.

As our plane lifted off the runway and we left the lights of Orlando behind us......Woobie laid her head on my shoulder and began to drift off to sleep.....because this time we had remembered to give her the dramamine before the flight for a change. With a little effort, I was able to reach down into my carry-on and grab a book.....and as I did I caught the faint smell of funyuns....and I smiled because it reminded me of Pal Mickey. A couple of rows ahead of us, a passenger reached up and pushed their flight attendant button....and Woobie softly murmured “teacher said.....every time a bell rings a Pal Mickey gets his wings.” "That’s right honey......that’s right. Attaboy Pal Mickey."

[Fade to black]

And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost,
They caught the last plane for the coast
The day....the Mickey...died.

Next up: Epilogue

You can't leave us hanging like that. Your next trip will be entertaining for all of us that love Disney. And your writing will not disappoint! Please do another one. At least in Pal Mickey's memory.

Aha! I see that you are playing the Pal Mickey card now. Not a bad tactic.

Peter, you can admit it - completing this is prep for a PTR, right?

Mrs. Spratt

If it was......I sure take a lot of practice. 40+ chapters....sheesh.....I'm bushed.

I loved the update. I am going to miss reading about your trip, you always make me smile with your updates.

Thanks a lot. It's been fun for me too.

I was hoping you would be finished with this report before I left for my trip, or at least by the time I got back. (Who am I kidding? Actually, I hoped it would never end.) But now I get to continue reading as if I never left - maybe that is better. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more installments and definitely a PTR for the December trip. We just got back and my wife is already planning our next trip for June of next year - this time a 10 day outing to try to fit more in. :woohoo: (Little does she know that we still won't be able to see everything.) She is starting to come over to the Dark Side to join the WDW-addicted like us! :earsboy:

People's WDW trips come and go....but my TR goes on forever. Sounds like you had a great time....if you are already planning the next one. I'm on the fence about a PTR. Do you think it would seal the deal on your DW's addiction?

OK I have been a lurker this entire thread and that last post....well, it was great! So much so that I have come out of lurkerville just to tell you so. This has been a great trip and one of my top 5 trip reports of all time. We've laughed (A LOT), we've cried and now it's time to go home... So sad, but I'm pretty optimistic that we haven't seen the last of Peter Panic Attack and another one of his hilarious Trip Reports! :thumbsup2

OK I have been a lurker this entire thread and that last post....well, it was great! So much so that I have come out of lurkerville just to tell you so. This has been a great trip and one of my top 5 trip reports of all time. We've laughed (A LOT), we've cried and now it's time to go home... So sad, but I'm pretty optimistic that we haven't seen the last of Peter Panic Attack and another one of his hilarious Trip Reports! :thumbsup2

Thanks Must C Mickey. It took a long time to pry you out of lurk-dom....but I finally did it. You're probably right about a future TR by the way....but we'll have to wait and see.

What a great ending to a great report. Peter Pan sitting in that window was cool. I will have to keep an eye out for stuff like that when we are back at WDW. Thanks for sharing your happiness and sadness. I love the part about Pal Mickey getting his wings.

As we strolled up Mainstreet USA, we paused to listen to the barbershop quartet sing Jingle Bells. Honestly......and I realize I’m preaching to the choir here....but where else on earth are you going to find this type of stuff? Believe me, I understand that WDW is not for everybody. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this crazy little journey called life, it’s the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes......and personalities.....especially personalities. I know loads of people that have no chance of ever truly enjoying WDW the way that I do. They’re moving too fast....and their too concerned about impressing the people around them. After a vacation, they want to set up a picture in their office of them scaling a volcano.....or conquering a large fish. They’re not interested in a framed 8 X 10 glossy of them in a tie-dye t-shirt.....throwing their arm around Goofy like he’s and old college buddy. Thankfully, for my family, WDW fits us like a glove.

I couldnt have said it any better myself! Amen Reverand! Amen!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter